Duke4.net Forums: Duke Music 3D Project - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Music 3D Project  "updating the old midi crap"

User is offline   d3drocks 

View Postsupergoofy, on Jun 12 2009, 01:22 PM, said:

The idea of HRP of Hires Music is to create high quality content or music that is very close to the original.

Thus the SC-55 music by MusicallyInspired is highly approved as it does this thing. It's high quality and very very close to the original music.

The whole idea is to reproduce high quality identical (as close as it can be) replacements of the original Duke3D art/sound/music.

my goal is to make it sound GOOD, not identical. some things do have to be pulled out (such as doubled up instruments. there are ALOT.), other things have to be changed, like note lengths, a couple off velocites for percussion (so they fit my sounds) etc. it is very close to the original, but not an exact replica.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

There are doubled channels because they are for different sound devices. One is for General MIDI/Sound Canvas, One for FM Synth (Adlib), and sometimes one for GUS (Gravis Ultrasound).

And supergoofy, it's not very close to the original music. It is the original music. That's the whole point. But anyway, I don't consider it the definitive and best music pack around of course. It's definitely not modern by any means and I'm looking forward to what d3drocks finally creates. The soundtrack as a whole needs an update. But I thought my pack would be an appropriate choice for playing vanilla duke in all its vanilla glory (the original sound module for which it was meant to be heard from), and again, definitely better than the orchestral pack that was in the HRP beforehand.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Jun 13 2009, 12:04 AM, said:

There are doubled channels because they are for different sound devices. One is for General MIDI/Sound Canvas, One for FM Synth (Adlib), and sometimes one for GUS (Gravis Ultrasound).

And supergoofy, it's not very close to the original music. It is the original music. That's the whole point. But anyway, I don't consider it the definitive and best music pack around of course. It's definitely not modern by any means and I'm looking forward to what d3drocks finally creates. The soundtrack as a whole needs an update. But I thought my pack would be an appropriate choice for playing vanilla duke in all its vanilla glory (the original sound module for which it was meant to be heard from), and again, definitely better than the orchestral pack that was in the HRP beforehand.

thanks man :)
I use your pack all the time when I'm playing duke. now I have to find a way to make it work on my psp, cause timidy sounds BAD :D

hey, just giving a notice.
the project is NOT dead!
women just have a way or reorganizing priorities ;)
songs are still being done though, dont worry!

15 songs are done thus far. not too many left to go!

This post has been edited by d3drocks: 03 July 2009 - 08:15 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Jun 13 2009, 12:04 AM, said:

I love it. It's definitive for me. ;)

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Jul 3 2009, 04:24 PM, said:

I love it. It's definitive for me. ;)

ok, aparently there are 43 songs in duke.
I think I should now release them in episodic packs.
now, I must admit, I dont know all of the songs that fit for each level.
I know a few for episode one though.
if anyone can tell me the songs that are ment for each episode, I will start releasing episodicly.
just reply here.

User is offline   QuisEstRex 

View Postd3drocks, on Jul 6 2009, 02:52 AM, said:

ok, aparently there are 43 songs in duke.
I think I should now release them in episodic packs.
now, I must admit, I dont know all of the songs that fit for each level.
I know a few for episode one though.
if anyone can tell me the songs that are ment for each episode, I will start releasing episodicly.
just reply here.

I think the info is in user.con (inside the grp), I got this if it helps:
// Music for title and end
music 0 GRABBAG.MID BRIEFING.MID

// Music for the individual levels
music 1 stalker.mid dethtoll.mid streets.mid watrwld1.mid snake1.mid
		thecall.mid ahgeez.mid dethtoll.mid streets.mid watrwld1.mid snake1.mid

music 2 futurmil.mid storm.mid gutwrnch.mid robocrep.mid stalag.mid 
	   pizzed.mid alienz.mid xplasma.mid alfredh.mid gloomy.mid intents.mid

music 3 inhiding.mid FATCMDR.mid NAMES.MID subway.mid invader.mid gotham.mid
		233c.mid lordofla.mid urban.mid spook.mid whomp.mid

music 4 missimp.mid prepd.mid bakedgds.mid cf.mid lemchill.mid
	   pob.mid warehaus.mid layers.mid floghorn.mid depart.mid restrict.mid

does it make any sense to you ? I did a search in the files extracted from the grp and the source code, and this is the only references I found to the midi files...

This post has been edited by QuisEstRex: 14 July 2009 - 01:55 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Hi, perhaps my personal playlist might help you.
(based on game CD and EDuke32 Music Pack v2.0)

01-Grabbag (Duke Nukem 3D Theme Song).mp3
02-Grabbag [Title Screen].ogg
03-Stalker [E1L1 Hollywood Holocaust].ogg
04-Dethtoll [E1L2 Red Light District].ogg
05-Streets [E1L3 Death Row].ogg
06-Waterworld1 [E1L4 Toxic Dump].ogg
07-The Call [E1L6S Launch Facility].ogg
08-Snake1 [E1L5 The Abyss].ogg
09-Ahgeez [E1L7 Faces Of Death].ogg
10-Futuremil [E2L1 Spaceport].ogg
11-Storm [E2L2 Incubator].ogg
12-Gutwrench [E2L3 Warp Factor].ogg
13-Robocrep [E2L4 Fusion Station].ogg
14-Stalag [E2L5 Occupied Territory].ogg
15-Gloomy [E2L10S Spin Cycle].ogg
16-Pizzed [E2L6 Tiberius Station].ogg
17-Alienz [E2L7 Lunar Reactor].ogg
18-XPlasma [E2L8 Dark Side].ogg
19-Intents [E2L11S Lunatic Fringe].ogg
20-Alfred H [E2L9 Overlord].ogg
21-Inhiding [E3L1 Raw Meat].ogg
22-Fat Commander [E3L2 Bank Roll].ogg
23-Names [E3L2 Flood Zone].ogg
24-Subway [E3L4 L.A. Rumble].ogg
25-Invader [E3L5 Movie Set].ogg
26-Spook [E3L10S Tier Drops].ogg
27-Gotham [E3L6 Rabid Transit].ogg
28-233c [E3L7 Fahrenheit].ogg
29-Lord Of L.A. [E3L8 Hotel Hell].ogg
30-Whomp [E3L11S Freeway].ogg
31-Urban [E3L9 Stadium].ogg
32-Briefing [E4 Intro].ogg
33-Mission Impossible [E4L1 It's Impossible].ogg
34-Prepared [E4L2 Duke-Burger].ogg
35-Baked Goods [E4L3 Shop-N-Bag].ogg
36-CF [E4L4 Babe Land].ogg
37-Lemchill [E4L5 Pigsty].ogg
38-Restrict [E4L11S Area 51].ogg
39-Pob [E4L6 Going Postal].ogg
40-Warehaus [E4L7 XXX-Stacy].ogg
41-Layers [E4L8 Critical Mass].ogg
42-Floghorn [E4L9 Derelict].ogg
43-Depart [E4L10 The Queen].ogg
44-Bonus [Bonus Screen].ogg
#45-Barmusic.ogg
#46-2BWild.ogg
#47-Gabbag.ogg

thanks guys.
Im gunna start releasing episodically :blink:

EDIT:
HERE IS THE EPISODE 1 PACK!!:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/0jeluv

just some notes:
-all the music is in mp3 format. if you need to convert to ogg, Format Factory is a great app to do it all in 1 go. get it here: http://www.formatoz.com/
-its encoded at 192 kbps

This post has been edited by d3drocks: 17 July 2009 - 08:37 AM

User is offline   Piterplus 

I like it. Sound fresh and tasty.

P.S. Stalker is 128 kbps.

View PostPiterplus, on Jul 17 2009, 12:40 PM, said:

I like it. Sound fresh and tasty.

P.S. Stalker is 128 kbps.

ok, thats a little odd. should still sound the same at that encoding tho.

This post has been edited by d3drocks: 17 July 2009 - 08:46 AM

if anyone can reincode these into ogg then upload to sendspace, rapidshare or what not (and also include the creative commons agreement i put in the zip) ide be really greatful. I cannot do that on this pc, because almost all conversion software interferes with my audio tools im affraid. (its bad to the point that I cant even have internet explorer installed, or else pro-tools will not launch).

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Dude. You need to format. OGGDropXPD won't even work?

Captain Awesome is right. There's no way it's a simple software incompatibility if your whole computer operation suffers.

Dude. You need to format. OGGDropXPD won't even work?

Captain Awesome is right. There's no way it's a simple software incompatibility if your whole computer operation suffers.

I Have a fix for it, but I it means I'll have to redo alot of the songs. I need to uninstall pro-tools 8 and go back to 7.4
of course, protools 7.4 cannot open 8 project files.
Im not in the mood to redo alot of music. I can finish up what I have i guess, then render them all.

This post has been edited by Plagman: 23 July 2009 - 12:05 PM

View Postd3drocks, on Jul 23 2009, 05:15 PM, said:

I Have a fix for it, but I it means I'll have to redo alot of the songs. I need to uninstall pro-tools 8 and go back to 7.4
of course, protools 7.4 cannot open 8 project files.
Im not in the mood to redo alot of music. I can finish up what I have i guess, then render them all.

I haven't had the chance to download the sample (technical difficulties on my side), but I can suggest a solution to the MP3\OGG issue: export to .wav instead of .mp3, and then convert it with an external application.

this way it will be lossless...

View PostQuisEstRex, on Jul 23 2009, 04:18 PM, said:

I haven't had the chance to download the sample (technical difficulties on my side), but I can suggest a solution to the MP3\OGG issue: export to .wav instead of .mp3, and then convert it with an external application.

this way it will be lossless...

good idea.
I'll be doing that soon enough. I wanna finish a few more songs b4 I do that.
downgrading to pro-tools 7.4 means I loose a very good new synth to pro-tools 8.
it also means a 15 gb or so dent in my HD will be gone, and replaced with a smaller 2 or so GB install.

User is offline   Nemesis 

Streets, and urban sound really great on here, better than original, the others one though I don't like either way, great job :blink:

View PostNemesis, on Aug 8 2009, 07:24 PM, said:

Streets, and urban sound really great on here, better than original, the others one though I don't like either way, great job :blink:

what didnt you like about the others?
and streets is one I keep listening to over and over :D, I like it too.

User is offline   jperez 

I'm currently working on something similar. The demos were nice and I know just about every single soundfont used as I have number of them on my own computer along with some that are never released since I didn't wish them to be released.

If I can, I'll post demo's of what I have. They're nothing great, but something to contribute.

Jesse~

View Postjperez, on Aug 22 2009, 06:30 PM, said:

I'm currently working on something similar. The demos were nice and I know just about every single soundfont used as I have number of them on my own computer along with some that are never released since I didn't wish them to be released.

If I can, I'll post demo's of what I have. They're nothing great, but something to contribute.

Jesse~

I only used 3 soundfonts(percussion, and strings in one place) the rest was sampletank, sytrus, podfarm, and toxic biohazzard.

I'm considering dropping the project due to lack of interest here and on the 3DR forums.

This post has been edited by d3drocks: 22 August 2009 - 09:05 PM

User is offline   jperez 

What a shame. :blink:

I personally love the music and I thought the HRP could use a better pack of music. Just tested one for the Atomic Edition, CF for Babe Land and it really fit well. Trying to figure out how to go about putting in Pizzed (Pissed!) and a few others. Kinda wish eDuke32 allowed for OGG loop points. Would make my end of the project MUCH easier...

Jesse~

View Postd3drocks, on Aug 23 2009, 08:04 AM, said:

I only used 3 soundfonts(percussion, and strings in one place) the rest was sampletank, sytrus, podfarm, and toxic biohazzard.

I'm considering dropping the project due to lack of interest here and on the 3DR forums.

Don't give up just yet, I'm sure once you'll have a full OGG release that the devs could consider offering as a substitution with HRP , you'll get some exposure & feedback...

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I'm all for different music projects, but I'd be disappointed if something replaced the current music for the HRP. The current music is accurate to what it should sound like, and appropriate for the pack and it's intentions.

View Postjperez, on Aug 23 2009, 03:04 AM, said:

What a shame. :blink:

I personally love the music and I thought the HRP could use a better pack of music. Just tested one for the Atomic Edition, CF for Babe Land and it really fit well. Trying to figure out how to go about putting in Pizzed (Pissed!) and a few others. Kinda wish eDuke32 allowed for OGG loop points. Would make my end of the project MUCH easier...

Jesse~

ok, well I guess I can keep working on it.

View PostQuisEstRex, on Aug 23 2009, 05:34 PM, said:

Don't give up just yet, I'm sure once you'll have a full OGG release that the devs could consider offering as a substitution with HRP , you'll get some exposure & feedback...

true. Im all set to render oggs now. protools has been deleted, and im working in other software. I guess I can re-release it.
I need a stable place to put it tho. sendspace isnt great.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Aug 23 2009, 05:57 PM, said:

I'm all for different music projects, but I'd be disappointed if something replaced the current music for the HRP. The current music is accurate to what it should sound like, and appropriate for the pack and it's intentions.

honestly, the packs that are in the HRP are just rendered midibanks, they dont meet up to the changes HRP makes, no offense to the authors.

View Postd3drocks, on Aug 25 2009, 08:31 AM, said:

ok, well I guess I can keep working on it.

true. Im all set to render oggs now. protools has been deleted, and im working in other software. I guess I can re-release it.
I need a stable place to put it tho. sendspace isnt great.

honestly, the packs that are in the HRP are just rendered midibanks, they dont meet up to the changes HRP makes, no offense to the authors.

Hopefully the devs will be kind enough to offer both packages and a choice during installation, and in the in-game menu, as to which one should be used...
The only problem I foresee is the size of the HRP package, but in this day and age, another 200mb is hardly an issue...

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Postd3drocks, on Aug 25 2009, 01:31 AM, said:

Actually, no, you're wrong. The pack was specifically included in the HRP because it is exactly what the soundtrack was intended to sound like.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Aug 26 2009, 12:51 AM, said:

Actually, no, you're wrong. The pack was specifically included in the HRP because it is exactly what the soundtrack was intended to sound like.

that's the point, the HRP rises the standard of the graphics while keeping true to the original, so why not do the same with the sounds ? better graphics, sound effects and music, that's what it should be all about.

& obviously the current music pack should be preserved in the same way that you can play without the new textures, so you can have a "vanilla" game-play...

at least, that's my opinion.
:blink:

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

From a technical standpoint there can only be _this_ DN3D Music HRP:

http://forums.3dreal...ead.php?t=34865

This re-recording adds exactly the information which had been left out on the original game release in terms of sampling rate and bit depth.

The graphics HRP is a different thing because the information added by the HRP authors never existed in the first place (as far as we know). This obviously leaves some room for interpretation which does not exist in terms of the midi tracks. For example, the HRP enforcer model looks not half as mean as the 8-bit original IMHO. (Although it is quite good and I like it.) Maybe this will be changed one day to resemble more to the original.

So, if you want to re-record the music, go ahead and your results may be well appreciated, but don't use the misleading 'HRP' term in your pack's name .

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Aug 25 2009, 05:51 PM, said:

well, your an idiot, cause my music pack IS the original midis, properly mastered, and arranged in a way that sounds good.
so how about you stay out of my threads, k? you've made a few attempts flame me already, in which moderators deleted your posts.
if you dont like it, go elsewhere. dont keep pushing your bullshit here.

This post has been edited by d3drocks: 26 August 2009 - 09:03 PM

View PostLeoD, on Aug 26 2009, 04:06 PM, said:

From a technical standpoint there can only be _this_ DN3D Music HRP:

http://forums.3dreal...ead.php?t=34865

This re-recording adds exactly the information which had been left out on the original game release in terms of sampling rate and bit depth.

The graphics HRP is a different thing because the information added by the HRP authors never existed in the first place (as far as we know). This obviously leaves some room for interpretation which does not exist in terms of the midi tracks. For example, the HRP enforcer model looks not half as mean as the 8-bit original IMHO. (Although it is quite good and I like it.) Maybe this will be changed one day to resemble more to the original.

So, if you want to re-record the music, go ahead and your results may be well appreciated, but don't use the misleading 'HRP' term in your pack's name .

I've never used "HRP" in my projects name, so I have no ide awhere your coming from.
and the idea of HRP was really to update the whole game. what you linked to, was a bunch of rendered midis with a midi soundbank. it still sounds like midi.
my goal was to bring the music up to higher standards, and I'm really not appreciating all the negativity ive been getting for my efforts.
I started this in hopes that people would enjoy it, now people are trying to tell me I cant name my freaking project what I want?
also, its not "Re-Recording". do some research into music production. it takes an incredible amount of effort.

This post has been edited by d3drocks: 26 August 2009 - 09:12 PM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options