Duke4.net Forums: Alien Armageddon [RELEASE] - Duke4.net Forums

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alien Armageddon [RELEASE]  "showcasing sebabdukeboss20 characters with some enhancements"

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Wasn't the majority of vanilla monsters replaced with new renders?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Yes. Play the game. Thank you.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Huh? There seems to be some kind of misunderstanding going on here. To rephrase my questions:

A) Do you have the cutscene renders in higher resolution? By "cutscene renders" I mean stuff like this:
Attached Image: 10897.png
If you do, any plans to make them public for use as wallpapers etc.?

Maybe there's more hi-res pre-rendered art which did not end up in the game?

B) Do you have non-vanilla character renders in high-resolution? By "character renders" I mean images like this:
Posted Image
Posted Image
By "non-vanilla characters" I mean characters like Bombshell, alien sniper, power armour pig cop, gladiators etc.

I hope I have made myself clear enough this time.

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 30 April 2021 - 07:53 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I know sebabdukeboss20 can make renders of the models at higher resolution. I'm not sure if he can do so with the cutscenes easily -- I guess it depends on whether he saved all the relevant files.

It is my understanding that the higher res vanilla character sprites were made from Tea Monster's and DNF models (as mentioned here), but what about the new enemies? I had the impression - please forgive me if I am wrong on this - that the female alien sniper was initially "frankensprited" from several sources possibly including the female ninja from Shadow Warrior (?). But the current version of that enemy has been significantly updated compared to earlier revisions, as I tried to mention above in my misunderstood post, so I guess there is a complete 3D model for her?

There certainly has to be one for the power armour pig cop since it is featured in the new intro cinematic, while with the original sprites of this enemy, I had the impression that an edited pig cop head was frankensprited onto the power armour body which was made from a 3D model. Anyway, I wonder how many character sprite sets have been done by sebabdukeboss20 already for the three projects, it must be near or over 100 for sure.

On an unrelated note, it seemed to me that some of the new voices for aliens are garbled Spanish (e.g. the roaming sound of the regular Trooper), am I wrong?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

sebabdukeboss20 would have to answer your questions about the models. But I think that he always uses models now for the characters and never frankensprites anymore. I think he finds models that are close to what he needs, then modifies them and animates them, then takes pics for the sprite sheets, and then does some additional work on the sprites.

View PostMrFlibble, on 01 May 2021 - 04:10 AM, said:

On an unrelated note, it seemed to me that some of the new voices for aliens are garbled Spanish (e.g. the roaming sound of the regular Trooper), am I wrong?

Not knowingly -- the alien language sounds are ripped from other games, mostly Jedi Academy.

Duke's model is from DNF. Bombshell is a heavily modifled NPC 3d model. The vanilla enemies for the most part are provided by Teamonster. Some of them were unfinished and I finished them enough to be usable as sprite making. The unique AA models like the sniper/ranger or Swinelord is a heavily modified teamonster model.

I recently checked my 3d models library for AA, AMC, and DT. It's over 1000 now.

As for the cutscene renders, they are only at 640x400 like in game. The episode selection posters, I plan on redoing some of them because they were made a 640x400, I don't really like some of them anymore, and want to make something that looks nicer. In the future though after 5.0 I may release higher res version of the said posters but I'll think about it when we get there.

Thanks for the answers! I would like to once more say how I like the new Bombshell appearance, the face alone is a huge improvement over version 3.

I wonder how much overpaint it took to finish sprites, considering that the source models appear rather detailed already, judging by the intro for example.

Are there any high-res sources for new textures, posters and/or those MTG? trading? cards that appear in some places?

Yeah Bombshell's model is completely different from the old one. The older model was all I had to work with and it's notoriously difficult to work with. Over time I was able to find a newer better model as my workflow evolved. Retexturing the new model from the base model was actually quite difficult. I'd rather not revisit it. Even when I render higher res images for posters and stuff, I have to do some correcting at joints. Currently there isn't any higher res pics of anything from in game except the main promo posters. In future though for 5.0 I'll most likely revisit some older vanilla episode posters and create a base 1080p version to use.

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 01 May 2021 - 06:30 PM, said:

Currently there isn't any higher res pics of anything from in game except the main promo posters. In future though for 5.0 I'll most likely revisit some older vanilla episode posters and create a base 1080p version to use.

Heh, TBH I was kind of hoping for Bombshell wallpaper(s) in the same vein as those for the early Tomb Raider games, e.g. these here.

Hehe, oh I see. Yeah I'll see what I can do next release.

User is offline   stojke 

Hello. I have been playing Alien Armageddon since version 2 and only now have some issued that I need help with.
The problem is having sub 1 FPS in a certain level that make it impossible for me to finish the game properly. Level name is community project and its one of the final levels where you are on a beach like level going around and in the end blowing up an flying saucer.
I managed to finish this map once on Come get some but barely had 2-3FPS. On Damn im good i have 1FPS every few seconds from the start for some reason. The last time I played the level (and thats the first time I played it) i managed to go by as the game accelerated later on, but now its impossible, which sucks because i want to reach over 1mil points.

Other than that, awesome game, big thunderous clap for the developers. Bravo.

---

I do have some other minor annoyances to talk about too, but those are not so grave as one above, such as, on damn im good everything is much harder right? Right, and thats good. But some times the starting weapons are beyond useless. I get my ass handed to me hard on Apprehension Arizona due to having improper weapons, and also getting Dr Proton or tincan spawning in a small room and getting run over (As if battling an mole-ster with sticks and stones beforehand was not hard enough). Also, would wish to see Dukinator 1000 too :lol:

Peace.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View Poststojke, on 25 May 2021 - 12:33 PM, said:

Hello. I have been playing Alien Armageddon since version 2 and only now have some issued that I need help with.
The problem is having sub 1 FPS in a certain level that make it impossible for me to finish the game properly. Level name is community project and its one of the final levels where you are on a beach like level going around and in the end blowing up an flying saucer.
I managed to finish this map once on Come get some but barely had 2-3FPS. On Damn im good i have 1FPS every few seconds from the start for some reason. The last time I played the level (and thats the first time I played it) i managed to go by as the game accelerated later on, but now its impossible, which sucks because i want to reach over 1mil points.

What renderer are you using?

User is offline   stojke 

View PostNinety-Six, on 25 May 2021 - 12:42 PM, said:

What renderer are you using?

Happens in both Software and OpenGL. Currently, in game, the renderer selected is Classic. Voxels enabled or disabled dont change anything. Game is running on a following computer specification : Intel X5450 , 8GB , HD7850 1GB.

View Poststojke, on 25 May 2021 - 01:16 PM, said:

Happens in both Software and OpenGL. Currently, in game, the renderer selected is Classic. Voxels enabled or disabled dont change anything. Game is running on a following computer specification : Intel X5450 , 8GB , HD7850 1GB.

It would make sense if it was just the classic renderer, but it's apparently deeper than that. Hm.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

The community beach level is the biggest and most resource intense map included with the mod. However, that level will only come up if you have already beaten attrition mode three times previously.

View PostDanukem, on 25 May 2021 - 02:39 PM, said:

The community beach level is the biggest and most resource intense map included with the mod.

Even in 32-bit mode?

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 25 May 2021 - 05:01 PM

User is offline   stojke 

View PostNinety-Six, on 25 May 2021 - 05:01 PM, said:

Even in 32-bit mode?

How to set the game into 32bit mode? The first time I played the beach level I also got too many drawn sprites error once and the game crashed, didnt happen the next time I loaded (One of the enemies had that red thing that explodes).

View PostDanukem, on 25 May 2021 - 02:39 PM, said:

The community beach level is the biggest and most resource intense map included with the mod. However, that level will only come up if you have already beaten attrition mode three times previously.

Is this a CPU thing that causes me problems, or is it something else? This computer isnt exactly fresh but it does the job.

I beat 4.0 5 times and when I saw 4.1 was out at least another 8 times from then.
Also seems that after I went back and beat New Invasion and Gladiators some enemies stopped spawning in classic maps (Duke Nukem single player episodes). I no longer saw Dr Proton and etc, they became too easy even on Damn im good.

View Poststojke, on 25 May 2021 - 09:36 PM, said:

How to set the game into 32bit mode?

That's OpenGL. That question was directed more at Dan since I'm surprised it's still so resource intensive even if it's off-loading graphics processing away from the CPU.

User is offline   stojke 

Truth be told, the game runs better on Software mode than on OpenGL in my case (Smoother). I guess its a graphics issue then. I will replace the AMD one with an NVidia card and see how it goes.
[Edit] Operating system is Windows 10 x64

This post has been edited by stojke: 26 May 2021 - 11:18 PM

View Poststojke, on 26 May 2021 - 11:17 PM, said:

Truth be told, the game runs better on Software mode than on OpenGL in my case (Smoother).

That's weird. I'm stuck in classic mode because of inexplicable lockups in OpenGL, and the game absolutely drags at points for me and doesn't so much the few times I can get 32-bit mode to not hang.

Different computer makes, I guess. Your CPU might be stronger than mine.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Sounds like only that one map is causing issues, though. It is by far the worst-running map in the game. I get dips below 30fps in some parts and in no other map. Its got max walls, a huge number of sprites and enemies, and areas where you can see a long distance. Then of course AA adds a ton of its own code and a fair number of its own sprites.

Little OT (idk where to write and if you care about), noticed that DNWMD has been updated recently, then i gave it a go and, for some reason i noticed that the can randomly get frozen when there are explosions made by RPG.
It does not always happens, just sometimes for some unknown reasons, especially near the Strip club (E1M2), i had to use ALTGR+CTRL+DEL and go to end the eduke32 process.
On 5 runs it happend 3 times.
eduke32 log

About A.A any way to make the penetrator more "penetrating"? xD
I mean, if the player hit a window it will break the glass only without hit any monster.

I love the badass intro and the new "wallpapers" (episodes selection screen), quite refreshing.

Hi there, I'm also having some issues with the Community Beach project, the lag seems to be 100% caused by the sheer number of enemies at the start. Turning the difficulty down from DIG or turning off enemies via dnmonsters work a bit but there are still patches of lag and it can cause some fun errors, such as making the monsters completely invisible and only able to be mighy-booted to death (they can still shoot tho), it' pretty amusing.

I did find a workaround that resolves 99% of the issue: when the level starts, spawn in nukes and launch a nuke into every corner and crevice. Then, go to the top of the gate and lob nukes up and down the beach, the lag clears right up once everything is crisped. The enemies spawn on the beach immediately and seem to be alerted to the players presence, but they don't seem to add too much to the game before the gate is opened, besides sniping at the player in that alleyway segment maybe.

Other than that everything is fantastic. I kind of second MrFlibble's commentary re: Bombshells intro level- what if it was set in an EDF flying aircraft carrier eg Avengers? There can be a time limit that results in player death if the level is not escaped in time or if a certain button sequence isn't pushed like the player must activate the defense matrix to stave off the attack or what have you.
This might be too much of an homage (ripoff) of the Starship Troopers TC but it's a thought.

And this is probably a totally dopey question but is there a way for me to put more levels into Attrition mode? I got a Total Meltdown disk from a secondhand shop and would like to incorporate that more directly into the game, it does seem to load the custom enemies randomly in TM levels but I'm crossing my fingers for some way to more streamline level access rather than choosing each level individually.

Thanks for this mod, it's fantastic!

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDukeLover69, on 15 June 2021 - 08:58 PM, said:

Hi there, I'm also having some issues with the Community Beach project, the lag seems to be 100% caused by the sheer number of enemies at the start. Turning the difficulty down from DIG or turning off enemies via dnmonsters work a bit but there are still patches of lag and it can cause some fun errors, such as making the monsters completely invisible and only able to be mighy-booted to death (they can still shoot tho), it' pretty amusing.

It's a combination of the number of monsters active at once, and all the surfaces being rendered at once (map has max walls and large outdoor view areas). I wish there were a simple solution, other than just using a different map entirely. This is a complex mod with a lot of monster code and it does take a toll when the computer is already dealing with a big level. tbh I knew it would be a problem for a lot of users and that's why I placed the map as the very last one you would have to encounter. You literally have to beat Attrition campaign three times and get to the end of the fourth playthrough to reach this map, so I know by then its a dedicated player and not someone who is just going to bail on the mod because they got low fps.

I did find a workaround that resolves 99% of the issue: when the level starts, spawn in nukes and launch a nuke into every corner and crevice. Then, go to the top of the gate and lob nukes up and down the beach, the lag clears right up once everything is crisped.

Maybe its because I drank too much tonight, but I feel like this "solution" would also work for a lot of real world "problems".
EDIT: You make a good point though, we should probably just delete about half of the enemies that start in the map while leaving the respawns.

Other than that everything is fantastic. I kind of second MrFlibble's commentary re: Bombshells intro level- what if it was set in an EDF flying aircraft carrier eg Avengers? There can be a time limit that results in player death if the level is not escaped in time or if a certain button sequence isn't pushed like the player must activate the defense matrix to stave off the attack or what have you.
This might be too much of an homage (ripoff) of the Starship Troopers TC but it's a thought.

I'm sure that level and for t hat matter that whole episode can be made better in a lot of ways, but at this point we have moved on to developing the final episode, which will be huge and epic and doesn't leave us much free time to go back and improve earlier things. Maybe some day if we are feeling motivated we will go back and make big improvements on the earlier episodes.

And this is probably a totally dopey question but is there a way for me to put more levels into Attrition mode? I got a Total Meltdown disk from a secondhand shop and would like to incorporate that more directly into the game, it does seem to load the custom enemies randomly in TM levels but I'm crossing my fingers for some way to more streamline level access rather than choosing each level individually.

Thanks for this mod, it's fantastic!

You have to put maps in the maps/attrition folder and then edit the file AAUSER.CON (use a text editor) so that it refers to those new maps instead of the ones you are replacing. If you scroll down in the file you can see how it's done, just follow the format. If you have suggestions for better maps to include, let me know and maybe they will be included officially. I am always on the lookout for maps that suit this mod, and with some code changes I can increase the total number of maps in the pool somewhat too.

This post has been edited by Danukem: 15 June 2021 - 10:47 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

After looking into this after sobering up, I discovered that many monsters are waking up when *extremely* far away from the player, and then doing nothing useful. I tried using the hardcoded sleeptime system to make them go back to sleep but could not get that to work. Also, having them completely asleep can cause some unwanted issues, so... I'm going to be optimizing their code so that monsters run less code when far away from the player and player allies, while still allowing them to function. Hopefully it will help.

Thanks for the breakdown, I'll let you know if I find anything really good.

I know nothing about programming in this game but I imagined the easiest fix would be to spawn them in after the gate is opened or when the player is nearby or walks past them, so that they can ambush the player.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

As the coder I prefer general solutions to ones that require editing specific maps. I have already implemented the optimization and it seems to work pretty well.

User is offline   MObreck 

Hey, mind if I create an addon episode for your mod? I'd like to create an episode that takes place on an ice planet that uses my custom monsters. But I really like Bombshell and a lot of the other extended features this mod adds. I would like to build off them.

There should be some custom code I add you could take advantage of for the official mod. For example I learned how to hack in custom switches that don't require replacing a vanilla switch as well as some othe custom sector effectors.

Share this topic:

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options