Duke4.net Forums: Alien Armageddon [RELEASE] - Duke4.net Forums

• 53 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alien Armageddon [RELEASE]  "showcasing sebabdukeboss20 characters with some enhancements"

View Postdarkprince227, on 19 April 2021 - 05:45 AM, said:

Love the THEY LIVE posers, RIP Rowdy Roddy Piper, we'll always miss you.

One question though, why the different Lunar Apocalypse posters? The one in the classic episodes is the usual.....
duke0140.png
But then there's this variant in DC Metro Mayhem....
duke0141.png

is it supposed to be like that? I also love the Cyberella poster, but that's cos I'm a big Disney fan. Soon as the conditions are right, I'm planning to return to Orlando

The DC version is my own variant (which may change in the future more). DC maps we have changed heavily since they are part of the AA story. Generally I only slightly modified the vanilla maps to have a few more new decorations. I didn't want to change them too much though.

View Postdarkprince227, on 19 April 2021 - 05:45 AM, said:

One question though, why the different Lunar Apocalypse posters? The one in the classic episodes is the usual.....
duke0140.png
But then there's this variant in DC Metro Mayhem....
duke0141.png
is it supposed to be like that?

We fixed a bug in the movie set level recently due to the posters, that Big Lunar Apocalypse was a ugly mix of both posters so the code got modified not to change wall textures and only sprites I think.

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 19 April 2021 - 10:08 AM, said:

The DC version is my own variant (which may change in the future more). DC maps we have changed heavily since they are part of the AA story. Generally I only slightly modified the vanilla maps to have a few more new decorations. I didn't want to change them too much though.

Makes sense, sometimes it's good to stick with what you know

User is offline   MrFlibble 

So after playing around with the new modes in classic levels, I decided to check out New Invasion. So you added a Bombshell introductory level, which is probably a neat idea, but I have to say that the EDF base level is quite an underwhelming experience when compared to the original first level of the TC with Duke in the pool, which is now level two.

I get it that the map author aimed for a more or less realistic depiction of a base complex, but in some places there are a little too many repetitive areas (bathroom-barracks-vent-closet) so it felt almost like a chore. The individual room design and texturing also feels rather simplistic and underdetailed at times. In general, I'd say that the map quite pales in comparison with a simialr-themed level from the original game, namely E4L1. And it doesn't help either that the music is Kevin Schilder's Winnowing Hall from Hexen, as opposed to what I believe is an original piece paying homage to classic Lee Jackson that plays in the now-second level of the episode. Oh, and that alarm klaxon is straight annoying.

The original starting level was/is a great way to introduce the mod and is full of new and different stuff; I'm afraid that the new EDF level is not a definite improvement in that area. I'm sorry if the above sounds a bit harsh; but I tried not to be biased here and to tell my impression as accurately as possible, in the hopes that it comes across as constructive criticism.

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 20 April 2021 - 09:23 AM

I was wondering, any plans to release hi-res character art and/or renders? Bombshell especially got a very high quality update of both sprites and cutscene appearance, but I believe that all new non-vanilla monsters, save for the Space Gladiators additions, were updated for this release as well?

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Wasn't the majority of vanilla monsters replaced with new renders?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Yes. Play the game. Thank you.

Huh? There seems to be some kind of misunderstanding going on here. To rephrase my questions:

A) Do you have the cutscene renders in higher resolution? By "cutscene renders" I mean stuff like this:
Attached Image: 10897.png
If you do, any plans to make them public for use as wallpapers etc.?

Maybe there's more hi-res pre-rendered art which did not end up in the game?

B) Do you have non-vanilla character renders in high-resolution? By "character renders" I mean images like this:
http://i.imgur.com/owEKIrW.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8k7d8ZY.jpg
By "non-vanilla characters" I mean characters like Bombshell, alien sniper, power armour pig cop, gladiators etc.

I hope I have made myself clear enough this time.

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 30 April 2021 - 07:53 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I know sebabdukeboss20 can make renders of the models at higher resolution. I'm not sure if he can do so with the cutscenes easily -- I guess it depends on whether he saved all the relevant files.

It is my understanding that the higher res vanilla character sprites were made from Tea Monster's and DNF models (as mentioned here), but what about the new enemies? I had the impression - please forgive me if I am wrong on this - that the female alien sniper was initially "frankensprited" from several sources possibly including the female ninja from Shadow Warrior (?). But the current version of that enemy has been significantly updated compared to earlier revisions, as I tried to mention above in my misunderstood post, so I guess there is a complete 3D model for her?

There certainly has to be one for the power armour pig cop since it is featured in the new intro cinematic, while with the original sprites of this enemy, I had the impression that an edited pig cop head was frankensprited onto the power armour body which was made from a 3D model. Anyway, I wonder how many character sprite sets have been done by sebabdukeboss20 already for the three projects, it must be near or over 100 for sure.

On an unrelated note, it seemed to me that some of the new voices for aliens are garbled Spanish (e.g. the roaming sound of the regular Trooper), am I wrong?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

sebabdukeboss20 would have to answer your questions about the models. But I think that he always uses models now for the characters and never frankensprites anymore. I think he finds models that are close to what he needs, then modifies them and animates them, then takes pics for the sprite sheets, and then does some additional work on the sprites.

View PostMrFlibble, on 01 May 2021 - 04:10 AM, said:

On an unrelated note, it seemed to me that some of the new voices for aliens are garbled Spanish (e.g. the roaming sound of the regular Trooper), am I wrong?

Not knowingly -- the alien language sounds are ripped from other games, mostly Jedi Academy.

Duke's model is from DNF. Bombshell is a heavily modifled NPC 3d model. The vanilla enemies for the most part are provided by Teamonster. Some of them were unfinished and I finished them enough to be usable as sprite making. The unique AA models like the sniper/ranger or Swinelord is a heavily modified teamonster model.

I recently checked my 3d models library for AA, AMC, and DT. It's over 1000 now.

As for the cutscene renders, they are only at 640x400 like in game. The episode selection posters, I plan on redoing some of them because they were made a 640x400, I don't really like some of them anymore, and want to make something that looks nicer. In the future though after 5.0 I may release higher res version of the said posters but I'll think about it when we get there.

Thanks for the answers! I would like to once more say how I like the new Bombshell appearance, the face alone is a huge improvement over version 3.

I wonder how much overpaint it took to finish sprites, considering that the source models appear rather detailed already, judging by the intro for example.

Are there any high-res sources for new textures, posters and/or those MTG? trading? cards that appear in some places?

Yeah Bombshell's model is completely different from the old one. The older model was all I had to work with and it's notoriously difficult to work with. Over time I was able to find a newer better model as my workflow evolved. Retexturing the new model from the base model was actually quite difficult. I'd rather not revisit it. Even when I render higher res images for posters and stuff, I have to do some correcting at joints. Currently there isn't any higher res pics of anything from in game except the main promo posters. In future though for 5.0 I'll most likely revisit some older vanilla episode posters and create a base 1080p version to use.

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 01 May 2021 - 06:30 PM, said:

Currently there isn't any higher res pics of anything from in game except the main promo posters. In future though for 5.0 I'll most likely revisit some older vanilla episode posters and create a base 1080p version to use.

Heh, TBH I was kind of hoping for Bombshell wallpaper(s) in the same vein as those for the early Tomb Raider games, e.g. these here.

Hehe, oh I see. Yeah I'll see what I can do next release.

Share this topic:

• 53 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options