Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown TC - v1.0 - Duke4.net Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown TC - v1.0

User is offline   Adamputee 

Just want to say great work man, and thank you :)

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Discovered a difference between PC and PS1 versions. Places with multiple monitors but different animations play the same animation in the PS1 version. I've put up a few screenshots for comparison

https://imgur.com/a/nNZJ0

User is offline   The Nate 

The tripbomb inventory item doesn't want to activate.
EDIT: also can you please make the logos skippable

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Sgt Nate V: 02 March 2018 - 02:18 PM

Open up declarations.con search for the string define D_Enable_Bypass_Cutscenes and change NO to YES

Kudos on the release! Thanks for putting it all together.

Here a video of me going though eps 1
https://youtu.be/f0gwxGsWF68
I put the rest of the videos on the Legacy forum when I get them done

This post has been edited by Duke Legacy: 02 March 2018 - 05:05 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

I suggest not using Polymer because it doesn't support the additive lighting.

View PostSgt Nate V, on 02 March 2018 - 02:18 PM, said:

eduke32.log

Thanks for the log.

This post has been edited by Fox: 02 March 2018 - 09:13 PM

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

I log in to say very cool man I shared this on a duke facebook too but I will say the same thing amazing job thanks fox and all involved thanks gj.

User is offline   Polunka 

So it plays perfectly fine with a few minor problems.

First, as has been mentioned (I think), Duke seems to abuse the "What a mess!" line a little too much when picking shit up (not to mention this line should not be said on pickups at all). Secondly, the new pig variants still don't use their alert SFX, and Fat Commander doesn't use SFX at all (just like in the original PSX version; tho I'm not sure whether Commander even had any sound files bound to it on PSX).

This post has been edited by Polunka: 02 March 2018 - 10:03 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

Fox likes to keep the mods as authentic as possible so while they are bugs, I'm not sure Fox will fix them specifically. I would like to see an additional layer on the mod that do fix these issues though.

View PostLunick, on 02 March 2018 - 10:04 PM, said:

Fox likes to keep the mods as authentic as possible so while they are bugs, I'm not sure Fox will fix them specifically. I would like to see an additional layer on the mod that do fix these issues though.

Well, I just felt the necessity to point these issues out. He's the author so it's his rightful choice to keep those bugs in game of to fix them.

Still, the line abuse problem was not there in the original TM (afaik), must be an unexpected outcome of the conversion process.

User is offline   Newken 

Workaround for my audio problem: get XA files from music and movies folders, convert them to Ogg Vorbis files (for instance, in Audacity) and change .ogg extensions to .xa. Bang! No more crackling. :)

User is offline   MetHy 

Made it out of Nightmare Zone

Posted Image

View PostMetHy, on 03 March 2018 - 03:40 AM, said:

Made it out of Nightmare Zone

Posted Image

Huh, funny enough, as a person who got acquainted with Duke franchise through TM, yesterday I ran through Nightmare Zone just out of nostalgia, and it took me about 15 mins to beat it (tho I didn't trigger 2 last secrets since the octabrains at the end dropped my health down to 9).

If you play that level about up to 5 times, it gets much easier to navigate :)

This post has been edited by Polunka: 03 March 2018 - 03:45 AM

User is offline   Avoozl 

I never really cared for this version of the game, but the new episode does seem interesting and my hat goes off to you for making this TC come to life, thank you for making it possible. I will have something to do now.

This post has been edited by Grand Admiral Thrawn: 03 March 2018 - 03:58 AM

User is offline   Adamputee 

Seeing the 'exclusive' episode in high resolution is incredible. What's the deal with the sprites though? They look *weird* - I assume they are more loyal to the original design, but sometimes they look dull (look at the pipebomb!)

basically the PS1 used a reduced color depth to save memory

Could someone here clarify this for me: did Fat Commander have any sound files in the PSX version? Just curious since I didn't find one in the /sounds subdirectory of the TC.

This post has been edited by Polunka: 03 March 2018 - 08:29 AM

Only textures and Duke sprites looks worse to me and seems they used the original render models instead of do post-processing pixel paintjob, If there really is less colors they did a good work because almost all the enemies looks better quality. Try to compare the LARD Patrol Vehicle from the PC version and this one just for example, which of the two looks more real?

I just took a look at it, it's clearly a different render, not just the colors but the positioning is different.

https://i.imgur.com/LCreKrV.gif

User is offline   Fox 

View PostPolunka, on 03 March 2018 - 08:28 AM, said:

Could someone here clarify this for me: did Fat Commander have any sound files in the PSX version? Just curious since I didn't find one in the /sounds subdirectory of the TC.

Several sounds are missing.

User is offline   MetHy 

Well I beat Prug'n'Pray, it's only 6 maps after all.

Overall it's pretty bad, feels like playing some quickly thrown together 96 usermaps, and not the good ones. Seriously, did this port have any sort of quality control ? I can only assume 3DRealms didn't care much about how the game would end up like on PS1.

It has some nice ideas though, like the various pigcops, and a few cool level sequences like the Wipeout track... Gates Motel is probably the most decent-ish map.

Thanks for this port! At least I can finally say I've played every 'official' DN3D episode, and I don't think I'd have handled all the shitty level design, glitchy looking enemies, and "fuck you" tripbomb traps, if I had played this on PS1, with low res, a gamepad, and awful framerate.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 04 March 2018 - 02:10 AM

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostMetHy, on 04 March 2018 - 02:08 AM, said:

Well I beat Prug'n'Pray, it's only 6 maps after all.

Overall it's pretty bad, feels like playing some quickly thrown together 96 usermaps, and not the good ones. Seriously, did this port have any sort of quality control ? I can only assume 3DRealms didn't care much about how the game would end up like on PS1.

It has some nice ideas though, like the various pigcops, and a few cool level sequences like the Wipeout track... Gates Motel is probably the most decent-ish map.

Thanks for this port! At least I can finally say I've played every 'official' DN3D episode, and I don't think I'd have handled all the shitty level design, glitchy looking enemies, and "fuck you" tripbomb traps, if I had played this on PS1, with low res, a gamepad, and awful framerate.

Heh, it is indeed quite bad on the PS1... While having beat it on console before, I actually tried playing it again a couple months back, but I gave up halfway through the first level - the framerate and clumsy controls makes it quite unenjoyable. Nice to get to play it in a better version of Duke finally.

As you say though, it's not that great. It's elusiveness have granted it something of a mythical reputation that is completely undeserved, even though it's not entirely without qualities.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

My mood when trying to complete Nightmare Zone:

I found Nightmare Zone to be much less confusing and maze-like when playing it in ED32 - proper FPS controls and good framerate, as well as higher resolution, helps a lot when it comes to navigation. Now you can actually tell where you are and get a proper feel of the surroundings. Another reason why console shooters are a plague.

User is offline   Fox 

I find it quite obvious that they designed the zones to be played on PC.

View PostFox, on 04 March 2018 - 04:40 AM, said:

I find it quite obvious that they designed the zones to be played on PC.

And finally we can play them like that. Nice job. B)
Though I'm not sure I love that you've replicated every bug and annoying feature, like not being able to skip the intro videos. :)

Well, anyone bothered are free to put together their own version (I wonder if anyone is crazy enough to port Plug n Pray to DN64). As for the unstoppable cutscenes

View PostPhredreeke, on 02 March 2018 - 02:21 PM, said:

Open up declarations.con search for the string define D_Enable_Bypass_Cutscenes and change NO to YES

User is offline   Newken 

You can launch EDuke32 with the -nologo parameter and disable those intro videos. :)

User is offline   NNC 

What a superb month for us Duke fans. Ion Maiden outshone this release, but it's great to see those Ian Boffin levels finally untrapped from that bad console port.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options