Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown TC - v1.0 - Duke4.net Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown TC - v1.0

User is offline   NNC 

Everyone who tried this for the first time. What's your favourite level? Mine is Trackside Tragedy followed by Gates Motel. Nightmare Zone is tricky but not as bad as some say here. It just had some traps that can annoy the hell of you.

Spoiler

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostNancsi, on 04 March 2018 - 12:42 PM, said:

Nightmare Zone is tricky but not as bad as some say here.

Maybe now, on the PC... But, no, back then? On the original hardware? Fuck that level.

Though, to be totally fair. I never much cared for Total Meltdown at all. I liked a lot of the music tracks, I liked the updated cinematics, but the rest of it was kinda... Hot garbage. The awful frame-rate just made a lot of the game not nearly as fun. Comparing it to Duke Nukem 64, yeah, Total Meltdown is tonally closer to the PC game, but the N64 version simply plays way better.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 04 March 2018 - 02:23 PM, said:

Maybe now, on the PC... But, no, back then? On the original hardware? Fuck that level.

Though, to be totally fair. I never much cared for Total Meltdown at all. I liked a lot of the music tracks, I liked the updated cinematics, but the rest of it was kinda... Hot garbage. The awful frame-rate just made a lot of the game not nearly as fun. Comparing it to Duke Nukem 64, yeah, Total Meltdown is tonally closer to the PC game, but the N64 version simply plays way better.

That's why I said the levels needed to be untrapped from that version.

I haven't played the thing yet, busy with exploring Ion Maiden, but my memories tell they are pretty good, certainly better than Methy gave them credits.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

I made a comparison to a movie on Discord. Duke 64 would be the censored for TV version in pristine quality, while Total Meltdown would be the extended cut but only available on a bootleg VHS. I guess if we extend the analogy this release would be one of the countless Star Wars fan remasters. :)

User is offline   HotmiamMan 

Hello, Good Job

Could you make a build of eduk32 for Total Meltown whith this files Attached File  src.zip (1.02MB)
Number of downloads: 530 please,
It's for a version French of the game on PSX

It's the source files for r6715 of eduke32

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostNancsi, on 04 March 2018 - 12:42 PM, said:

Everyone who tried this for the first time. What's your favourite level? Mine is Trackside Tragedy followed by Gates Motel. Nightmare Zone is tricky but not as bad as some say here. It just had some traps that can annoy the hell of you.

Trackside Tragedy is the most memorable IMO, along with the final level but that one is a bit too mazey. Which applies to a lot of the levels, really.

I never realized it before, but it seems quite clear the strip club in Duke Royale is based on the one from From Dusk Till Dawn (written by and starring Quentin Tarantino).

User is offline   Mere_Duke 

It's an amazing modification but why the original game bugs (e.g. pigcop exploit) are still intact?

Because the intent is to stay true to the original PS1 version. But you could always fork it if you want to fix its shortcomings.

User is offline   Mere_Duke 

View PostPhredreeke, on 07 March 2018 - 05:20 PM, said:

Because the intent is to stay true to the original PS1 version. But you could always fork it if you want to fix its shortcomings.

Hmm. Then let is be so :) I can't recall all bugs, I've fixed two and that's too little to call it "a fork".

Another problem with FLAME (2271) and FLAME2 (2311) actors: they are defined as "actor" and doesn't execute their code when have no line of sight with a player (but when player can still see them). The example is e1l1, a burning dumpster on the street. I don't know if it was intended or not to make them like that. I have fixed it but it a very "cheesy" way (defining them as "useractor notenemy" doesn't work).

I think it was an optimisation for the PS1 version.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostMere_Duke, on 07 March 2018 - 06:40 PM, said:

Another problem with FLAME (2271) and FLAME2 (2311) actors: they are defined as "actor" and doesn't execute their code when have no line of sight with a player (but when player can still see them). The example is e1l1, a burning dumpster on the street. I don't know if it was intended or not to make them like that. I have fixed it but it a very "cheesy" way (defining them as "useractor notenemy" doesn't work).

In this version, most actors enter sleep state as soon as the player is out of sight. This is also why they removed the fourth skill, as this prevent the enemies respawn counter from incrementing.

There's no difference between "actor" and "useractor notenemy", these are interchangeable.

=== // === // ===

v1.0.2: UPDATE: Fix the problem with gibbing speeches being mixed with pick-up speeches.

http://www.moddb.com...n-tc-v102-patch

This post has been edited by Fox: 07 March 2018 - 10:00 PM

User is offline   Polunka 

A question addressed to Fox especially: is there a way to code useractors so that they play the recog sound file upon returning from the sleepmode?

I'm not a coder myself at all but I nevertheless have tried to mess with your GAME.CON to make the new pig variants play their respective recog sounds upon noticing the player for the first time (that was quite easy actually, and not one bit of their intended AI behavior seems to have broken). Now I'd like to know whether I can code them so that they play the recog sounds once again after going to sleep mode and noticing the player once more.

The hardcoded actors (like, say, Pig Cops or Enforcers) seem to possess this feature; guess it must be hard coded as well?

I'm not asking for direct instructions as to which lines of code to apply, just if there's a possibility to do so.

P.S.: Hey, and thanks for addressing the speech lines mess problem :)

This post has been edited by Polunka: 08 March 2018 - 12:03 AM

User is offline   Fox 

Use this:

Spoiler

Thanks a lot! Works like a charm! Now at least I don't feel sorry for those sound FX going to waste unused after so many years.

It's still a shame tho that we ain't got HQ sfx for Fat Commander (well, if you can consider the PSX sounds high-quality compared to Duke3D ones).

This post has been edited by Polunka: 08 March 2018 - 08:15 AM

User is offline   BR4ZIL 

THIS IS EXTREMELY AWESOME! WE CAN FINNALY PLAY PLUG AND PRAY AS IT WAS INTENDED! THANK YOU FOX AND EVERYONE INVOLVED!!!

Iam already at Duke Royale level, only a few more to go but been awesome so far, way better than the first try i tried playing on the PS1 emulator

On another note, whats next Fox? maybe try to convert the Genesis or GameBoyAdvance versions of Duke3d to PC? :)

View PostBR4ZIL, on 08 March 2018 - 02:09 PM, said:

THIS IS EXTREMELY AWESOME! WE CAN FINNALY PLAY PLUG AND PRAY AS IT WAS INTENDED! THANK YOU FOX AND EVERYONE INVOLVED!!!

Iam already at Duke Royale level, only a few more to go but been awesome so far, way better than the first try i tried playing on the PS1 emulator

On another note, whats next Fox? maybe try to convert the Genesis or GameBoyAdvance versions of Duke3d to PC? :)

Even better: if Fox made an EDuke32 conversion of Zero Hour. THAT would be awesome!

This post has been edited by Major Tom: 08 March 2018 - 02:14 PM

User is offline   Fox 

No. It's a game that I don't like much, and would take ten times more work.

User is offline   BR4ZIL 

I would also like to report something which i am not sure if its a bug or its just part of Plug & Pray's "weird" map design choice.

Alot of secret walls and doors just wont work at certain times, i started noticing this on Gates Motel, where i was actually stuck on the map for quite a while before giving up, on the next day the 2 doors that lead to one of the keycards (the one thats below a hole in the ground, protected by zombie pigcops) "magically" started working again, allowing me to go through them and finnaly get the keycard.

On Duke Royale, the bathroom stall secret wall refused to open for me, but when i came back to it after finishing the map, it did open.

I did notice that alot of seemly "random" actions trigger some "Unlocked!" prompts... are the maps really this intricate? I dont remember the normal duke3d maps being this weird (or i am just getting too old and not remembering this stuff anymore?).

Right now i am at Alien Rendezvous (had to redo all levels after the 1.02 patch).

User is offline   Fox 

In Gates Motel the doors that lead to the room with the blue keycard can be unlocked by the light switch near the yellow keycard. In Duke Royale you were probably not looking for the secret in the right place.

Speaking of, there are unused or broken effectors in the game:

E4L1: Deathmatch-only switch

Posted Image

E4L2: The blue keycard switch unlocks the door before the battlelord encounter

Posted Image

Posted Image

Which perhaps exists to prevent the player from using this multiplayer-only jetpack as a shortcut in co-operative...

Posted Image

E4L3: If you could break the mirrors in the game, this one would reveal a red wall behind it

Posted Image

E4L3: Unused lizman respawns

Posted Image

E4L4: The safe box lock also unlocks one of the doors on the near passage, however it's useless because you can always open the other one

Posted Image

Posted Image

E4L6: Entering the boss room should also block the red keycard passage, however the activator doesn't work because it has a hi-tag of 1

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Fox: 09 March 2018 - 12:45 PM

User is offline   VGA 

Interesting. But can someone provide a bugfixed, no-annoyances version of the episode? For those of us who never played the PSX version anyway? :)

View PostVGA, on 09 March 2018 - 04:48 PM, said:

Interesting. But can someone provide a bugfixed, no-annoyances version of the episode? For those of us who never played the PSX version anyway? :)

Maybe a HRP for this with maphacks and improved textures for any unique textures in this?

User is offline   The Nate 

The DNWARP cheat doesn't seem to work, and when I try to load a different map, the maps listed on the console are the default game's maps, and using the usermap function treats any level picked like a regular usermap, not using that level's name and music.

View PostSgt Nate V, on 10 March 2018 - 04:08 PM, said:

The DNWARP cheat doesn't seem to work, and when I try to load a different map, the maps listed on the console are the default game's maps, and using the usermap function treats any level picked like a regular usermap, not using that level's name and music.

The PSX maps are actually located in the /maps sub directory of the TC (but the map files are still named in the same manner as the Duke3D ones). It confused the hell outta me first time as well.

View PostSgt Nate V, on 10 March 2018 - 04:08 PM, said:

Open up the console, type CHANGELEVEL X Y

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostVGA, on 09 March 2018 - 04:48 PM, said:

But can someone provide a bugfixed, no-annoyances version of the episode?

So, a full fledged remake then?

User is offline   LAW 

Congatulations! This, along with Goldfinger 64, Duke Nukem World Tour and Kaiser's Doom 64 EX and Powerslave EX are my fav "retro" releases. Great job.

Is there a chance of playing this on JFDuke? I just finished playing Wanton Destruction and Platoon TC on my classic Xbox. And I really, REALLY wish to play this on the console.

This post has been edited by LAW: 11 March 2018 - 10:02 AM

View PostFox, on 01 March 2018 - 09:09 AM, said:

I will work on a patch with Mark 'TDK' Knight remixes, and a version compatible with DOS so you can play on low-key multiplayer ports.

User is offline   LAW 

^ So I guess, it will take some time :)

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

This is great, never got to play Plug 'N' Pray so the release of this mod was a great way to start. I only have one minor problem: sound quality. I don't know why but the music and the cutscenes have a weird noise going on. You can hear it in this video at around 0:20 at the atomic logo and then at the stat screen after the level ends:

It's happening during music too: I'm at Gates Motel now, in that song it's very noticeable and kinda annoying.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 11 March 2018 - 05:15 PM

I think the sound issues are due to the PS1 using a strange sample rate (37.5khz I recall) which is then resampled by Apogee Sound System

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options