Duke4.net Forums: Duke Plus - Duke4.net Forums

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Plus  "feedback and general discussion of Duke Plus"

This mod is absolutely fantastic!

I only have a couple issues with it:

1) I wonder whether it'd be too hard to make the new guns use arm models that match the ones in the HRP more closely? The difference is not much but it creates some inconsistency which would be best to avoid. The arms in the Duke Plus guns seem more yellowish and less poly than those from the HRP.
2) I would prefer it if the Shrinker and Devastator's secondary modes worked like the Freezer... Instead of selective fire, make the Alt Fire command actually fire the secondary mode. Would make for faster gameplay. But then the mind blast would probably need another animation.
3) Packaging. Is it possible to zip all those new monster and sound files?

Other than that, I'm having a lot of fun with this mod. It really is a Brutal Doom equivalent for Duke. Pig Cops are quite dangerous with it! I love the Cruizer shotgun as well, the model is great and the gun packs a punch compared to the standard one, lol.

User is offline   FistMarine 

I also wanted to suggest to make the alt-mode of Shrinker and Devastator into alt-fire just like the rest weapons.

Anyways Trooper Dan, did you consider my suggestions from few months ago to get included in next upcoming update? For instance I would really like to see some more recently released DP levels added into the DukePlus Hallway, as well as unused first From Base to Base map. I know the reason why this one remains unused is because the second FBTB map replaced the first when was initially added in older versions. IMO it wasn't a good idea because the second FBTB map is sequel to the first one and story-wise, it doesn't make sense to jump directly into the second map without having played the first. It doesn't hurt to have both included. ;)

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 24 October 2016 - 05:14 AM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

The current version of DP on my Fissile Materials site is not supposed to be the last. I was going to do another update for PolymerNG, but then that got stalled, so I have been working on other projects. Since the last DP update, I did a major update on Attrition, then I started working on the Halloween mod. That will hopefully be finished soon, and then I plan to update Duke Forces in time for Rogue One to come out. So that means I probably won't touch DP again until 2017.

View PostDuke of Hazzard, on 24 October 2016 - 04:40 AM, said:

1) I wonder whether it'd be too hard to make the new guns use arm models that match the ones in the HRP more closely? The difference is not much but it creates some inconsistency which would be best to avoid. The arms in the Duke Plus guns seem more yellowish and less poly than those from the HRP.

I could adjust the color on the skins but I have no idea how to make new arm models.

2) I would prefer it if the Shrinker and Devastator's secondary modes worked like the Freezer... Instead of selective fire, make the Alt Fire command actually fire the secondary mode. Would make for faster gameplay. But then the mind blast would probably need another animation.

Yeah, I think I did it that way because it seemed easier at the time. LIke so many things in a big old project, this has ended up in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" category.

3) Packaging. Is it possible to zip all those new monster and sound files?

Why? The overall package is already zipped, what would be the benefit of that?

Other than that, I'm having a lot of fun with this mod. It really is a Brutal Doom equivalent for Duke. Pig Cops are quite dangerous with it! I love the Cruizer shotgun as well, the model is great and the gun packs a punch compared to the standard one, lol.

Thank you, but I don't see it as very similar to Brutal Doom. It's a mod that gives mappers and the player a ton of options.

View PostFistMarine, on 24 October 2016 - 05:10 AM, said:

I also wanted to suggest to make the alt-mode of Shrinker and Devastator into alt-fire just like the rest weapons.

Anyways Trooper Dan, did you consider my suggestions from few months ago to get included in next upcoming update? For instance I would really like to see some more recently released DP levels added into the DukePlus Hallway, as well as unused first From Base to Base map. I know the reason why this one remains unused is because the second FBTB map replaced the first when was initially added in older versions. IMO it wasn't a good idea because the second FBTB map is sequel to the first one and story-wise, it doesn't make sense to jump directly into the second map without having played the first. It doesn't hurt to have both included. ;)

Isn't the first FBTB map already in the mod ?
I remember it was accessible through the UserMap menu, though I played it only once because the insane amount of enemies made my PC kneel before their might even without HRP >_>

View PostTrooper Dan, on 24 October 2016 - 10:49 AM, said:

I could adjust the color on the skins but I have no idea how to make new arm models.

Yeah, this is something that would require third-party support (the remodelling). Sadly I'm no 3D artist either.

Yeah, I think I did it that way because it seemed easier at the time. LIke so many things in a big old project, this has ended up in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" category.

In a way it's easier because it tells the player the current mode, but when rapidly switching through weapons it's probably better to have alt fires always readily available without overlap with the regular fires, as mistakes can be fatal in DP, haha.

Why? The overall package is already zipped, what would be the benefit of that?

I think only a little better organized since it's less files in the folder. The idea would be to make it like the HRP. I actually did not use the standard install because I wanted to use the latest EDuke32 build with it, without realizing that it's probably better to unzip Duke Plus and then overwrite the EDuke32 build in it with the latest.

Thank you, but I don't see it as very similar to Brutal Doom. It's a mod that gives mappers and the player a ton of options.

You're right, I think they're similar only in how they enhance gameplay, but each does their own thing. I don't map so I can't use the mapping features, but these already set it apart from Brutal Doom.

My favorite thing about Duke Plus, though, is how everything is done in real time. If I want to change anything on the fly, I can just press the Duke Plus menu key, adjust something and done. No restarting of maps nor the executable.

View PostTheDragonLiner, on 24 October 2016 - 11:36 AM, said:

Isn't the first FBTB map already in the mod ?
I remember it was accessible through the UserMap menu, though I played it only once because the insane amount of enemies made my PC kneel before their might even without HRP >_>

Yes it is included in the mod but since the early 2.0 versions, it's only accessible through User Map menu like you said. It's not accessible through the Hallway and that's why I suggested it to be included in the Hallway many times before but looks like my request got ignored once again. ;)

I would also like some new recent DP maps to be included in an upcoming update, I feel like it's time for an update that adds a new map. Such as this one: http://www.scent-88....M/map1/map1.php

It doesn't seem to have a name but could be called "Hollywood Holocaust Plus" or something like that, since it's a remake of E1L1. :D

EDIT: I found 2 more bugs:

1) If you shrink a Mini Overlord and try to step on him, he can still damage you as if he was normal sized. The Mini Cycloid Emperor doesn't have this bug but I know this bug was also in older versions of Attrition and was fixed at another point, you could take a look at Attrition code and import the Shrunken Mini Overlord damage fix from there.

2) Freezing yourself while riding a bike is really weird. You get shattered into pieces while still at 1 HP instead of being frozen. I know it would be hard to code frozen Duke on bike but I still found it weird.

Also about earlier bug reports from the previous page, the mini rocket IS a bug in latest version of DukePlus. In previous version you fired normal sized rockets, now the RPG rocket is as small as a Devastator rocket. It has nothing to do with lights being removed, the rocket is smaller than the smoke spawned.

And about the Duke "standing in air" bug from previous page which happened when you crashed into a slope, now it's worse because what you fixed made it a lot more worse. If I crash, I can't move and I'm completely stuck in this "Duke on bike" pose, all I can do is move up and down, I can't move forward/backward or strafe left/right to revert to normal Duke behavior, so I am forced to restart map.

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 25 October 2016 - 08:52 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

Hey I have been contacted about a bug -- if you set monsters to random, it is possible to get invincible giant cycloids to spawn. This was a result of integrating the DNE code with DP (since DNE has a boss like that).

The attached CON file should fix it. I am attaching it here first rather than calling this an update since an update should have more to it, and also I want to make sure it works ok.

Attached File(s)

Seems good so far. I'll let you know if there are any odd occurrences.

Just found one in red light district at the bar, so it appears they do still show up sometimes.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 18 January 2017 - 09:11 PM, said:

Hey I have been contacted about a bug -- if you set monsters to random, it is possible to get invincible giant cycloids to spawn. This was a result of integrating the DNE code with DP (since DNE has a boss like that).

The attached CON file should fix it. I am attaching it here first rather than calling this an update since an update should have more to it, and also I want to make sure it works ok.

What about the bugs I reported some time ago in both PM and in this topic? Have you looked to fix them as well? I know that this invincible Cycloid is a much higher priority than my bug reports (although I remember reporting a similar issue regarding the invincible Cycloid in one of the DP maps) but I would appreciate if you look upon all the bug reports so far. Thanks for understanding and for creating this mod, it's one of my favorites.

View PostTha Big Daddy C-Master, on 20 January 2017 - 03:13 AM, said:

Just found one in red light district at the bar, so it appears they do still show up sometimes.

Did you start a new game after applying the fixed CON file? I'm asking because if you load the previous saved game where you saved with the old CON file, then the issue will still appear after applying the fix and loading the save file. However if you start a new game after applying the fix, the issue will no longer occur.

• Duke Plus Developer

RunningDuke, the reason I posted the (attempted) invicible cycloid fix was I thought I knew exactly what line of code to fix. Most other bugs are harder to track down, and I'm not modding right now.

View PostRunningDuke, on 20 January 2017 - 06:36 AM, said:

What about the bugs I reported some time ago in both PM and in this topic? Have you looked to fix them as well? I know that this invincible Cycloid is a much higher priority than my bug reports (although I remember reporting a similar issue regarding the invincible Cycloid in one of the DP maps) but I would appreciate if you look upon all the bug reports so far. Thanks for understanding and for creating this mod, it's one of my favorites.

Did you start a new game after applying the fixed CON file? I'm asking because if you load the previous saved game where you saved with the old CON file, then the issue will still appear after applying the fix and loading the save file. However if you start a new game after applying the fix, the issue will no longer occur.

Yes I did. Let me try another game just to be sure and make sure.

I did tons of runs in Faces of Death and saw nothing but I'll do another game run just to test.

This post has been edited by Tha Big Daddy C-Master: 20 January 2017 - 12:48 PM

View PostTrooper Dan, on 20 January 2017 - 11:51 AM, said:

RunningDuke, the reason I posted the (attempted) invicible cycloid fix was I thought I knew exactly what line of code to fix. Most other bugs are harder to track down, and I'm not modding right now.

Ah, sorry then.

View PostTha Big Daddy C-Master, on 20 January 2017 - 12:47 PM, said:

Yes I did. Let me try another game just to be sure and make sure.

I did tons of runs in Faces of Death and saw nothing but I'll do another game run just to test.

OK, that's good to know.

Just did a Faces of Death run and it happened. The mini emperor turned into a huge one right in front of me. So it still does happen on occasion.

Just letting you know. :P

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostTha Big Daddy C-Master, on 20 January 2017 - 01:45 PM, said:

Just did a Faces of Death run and it happened. The mini emperor turned into a huge one right in front of me. So it still does happen on occasion.

Just letting you know. :P

Since none of the original maps contain mini-emperors, I can only assume that it was a different enemy who got replaced by one, then it turned giant when the flags were applied.

I think I found the residual problem. Try the attached CON and it will hopefully fix the issue.

Attached File(s)

It seems good so far. Like last time if something comes up I'll let you know.

I'm curious. I know you aren't currently modding but is there a way to make the objects transparent when using the gravity gun? I like it a lot but it blocks my view with the larger items.

Is there a simple code change that would do that?

Thanks.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostTha Big Daddy C-Master, on 21 January 2017 - 12:29 PM, said:

It seems good so far. Like last time if something comes up I'll let you know.

I'm curious. I know you aren't currently modding but is there a way to make the objects transparent when using the gravity gun? I like it a lot but it blocks my view with the larger items.

Is there a simple code change that would do that?

Thanks.

It would be pretty simple, but I want small and medium objects to remain opaque (because it looks better imo). There's already a var for object mass -- if I tie that to the transparency bit then it should give the correct results (assuming that the mass var has been set to correctly correspond with bigger objects).

Yea it's mainly the larger items that are hard to see around like the dead bodies for instance.

If you could do it when you had the time that would be really cool. :P

User is offline   Mark 

I want to attempt a remake of the voice lines for the super trooper. Is there a certain map and cheat or console command I can use to get to where they are so I can check the present voice lines and test my new ones in the game?

View PostMark., on 25 March 2017 - 11:39 AM, said:

I want to attempt a remake of the voice lines for the super trooper. Is there a certain map and cheat or console command I can use to get to where they are so I can check the present voice lines and test my new ones in the game?

Yes, there is a console command to spawn the super troopers, type in console "SPAWN STROOPER" to spawn one. I recommend doing that on the test map DUKEBIKE2.map, which is a good open map for testing stuff. :blink:

User is offline   Mark 

What I'm looking for is specific places where the supertrooper speaks his different lines in the game. Or does he speak those lines randomly no matter where you find him? If it is in specific places I need to know what they are so I can adjust levels or speaking style to best match the situation.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 25 March 2017 - 12:02 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMark., on 25 March 2017 - 12:01 PM, said:

What I'm looking for is specific places where the supertrooper speaks his different lines in the game. Or does he speak those lines randomly no matter where you find him? If it is in specific places I need to know what they are so I can adjust levels or speaking style to best match the situation.

Everything relating to the strooper is in the strooper folder. There you will find all the sound samples. Other than some code tweaks, it was all made by Muelsa. The trooper's speech is scripted in STROOPER.CON. As far as I know, there are not any maps where level designers placed any of those sounds, although I suppose it is possible that DanM used some in the DNE episode.

User is offline   Mark 

Thanks. I'll look at the code and see if there is any hint as to the voice usage or non usage.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMark., on 25 March 2017 - 12:29 PM, said:

Thanks. I'll look at the code and see if there is any hint as to the voice usage or non usage.

All the sounds are defined right at the top of the file. Just search for "STROOPER_VOICE" and you can see how they all get triggered. It looks like he made a var called "strooperego" which gets incremented under certain conditions, with each increment being associated with a cluster of trooper sounds, with a chance for each member of the cluster to play. Then there's another var called "strooperhitplayer" which is related. It looks convoluted and it's definitely not the way I would have organized it, but hey it works well and he does some cool shit.

User is offline   Mark 

I'm glad I hit refresh before posting. I found the state trooperego section but I can't figure what happens in the game to increment the Strooper's ego up one notch which chooses different voice lines. If you haven't noticed any Strooper using the lines maybe the trooperego code was not utilized? My uneducated guess was as the strooper shoots and hits the player it boosts his ego and will play a voice

I suppose I could spawn a strooper in a map, go into god mode and let him shoot at me and listen for any voices.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 25 March 2017 - 12:50 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Yep. Thats it. As he hacks away at me I can hear the occasional voice instead of grunt or growl. But because they blur together so fast its hard to distinguish them. Its hard to tell for sure but it sounds like the next growl plays before the voice finishes. One of the drawbacks I guess to having such a fast repetitive melee attack.

I also noticed shells on the ground from the pistol keep rotating. Its also annoying that many times you can't move away or use mouse look while getting slashed. I know this isn't a bug report post but since I noticed them I mentioned it.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 25 March 2017 - 01:19 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Since its almost impossible to hear the voices and they play not very often I'll pass for now on remaking the voice. This was my first take and it sound good. I would have tried more variations for a final voice but this was my general direction I wanted to go.

The first voice is the original and the second is my version. The supertrooper is saying "You are nothing"

Attached File(s)

User is offline   tomo 

Hi Trooper Dan iv'e noticed an issue with DukePlus, the issue is when the protozoid slimer eggs hatch they are left with a transparent edge on the top. at first i thought it was an issue with polymost but it only happens when DukePlus is active, it happens with both software and polymost but not with polymer, iv'e attached a screenshot of the problem.

Thanks for your time.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: eduke32 2017-04-10 21-26-52-13.png

• Duke Plus Developer

View Posttomo, on 10 April 2017 - 03:56 AM, said:

it happens with both software and polymost but not with polymer

EDIT: You must be referring to the black outline that looks almost exactly like a shadow, right? It looks like an attempt at making the eggs cast a shadow against the walls in response to a light, but I have no memory of doing that. Weird.

EDIT2: Found it! There's some code which makes the sprite-based hardcoded shadows on corpses taller than normal. I guess this looks ok in most cases, since no one has complained about it. But the egg "corpse" is upright, so in that case the taller shadow is very noticeable and looks weird.

You can verify that I found it by trying the attached CON file (override file of same name in dpcons folder). You will need to start a new game to see the change.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   tomo 

Thank you very much i can confirm this fixed the issue i was having.

Cheers.

Share this topic:

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options