• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Plus  "feedback and general discussion of Duke Plus"

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostTrooper Dan, on 16 July 2016 - 05:09 AM, said:

Where? I can't find any
Try dir "DukePlus 240" /S /A:H from the command line. Those file have the hidden and system attributes set and get in the way when moving or deleting the DukePlus folder. I assume some file browsing or image viewing programs create them in the background. In an MSYS2 shell, find "DukePlus 240" | grep Thumbs.db gives:
Spoiler

EDIT: Also, I plan to remove the reference to "NixFix" from the cons/defs.
Of course - that's what I meant when asking for 'correct' versions, besides incrementing to 2.4x. I put that in to remind users they aren't running the official release. Btw, a maybe useless reminder - there is a line in USERPLUS.CON which appears to reference to the version number as well (no idea if actually used) :
definequote 1013       ^7DP 231

EDIT2: I have DNE 2.0 integrated into DukePlus now (it was pretty easy actually), but I'm getting 10-20 fps on the first map, and that's with only 2 lights per surface. I'm trying to decide what to do about this. I don't believe that optimizing my code is going to help much. Maybe I should wait until PolymerNG is released before spending any more time on this.
Agreed. (Gives me time for another look at my half-baked Eternity NixFix from last year.)

One more thing to consider for all maps made for the HRP/DukePlus: in 2013 the HRP representations of tiles #1275 and #1276 were switched. So all #1275/#1276 occurrences in maps designed with/for the HRP prior to 2013 should be switched as well.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 16 July 2016 - 04:04 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostLeoD, on 16 July 2016 - 03:20 PM, said:

Try dir "DukePlus 240" /S /A:H from the command line. Those file have the hidden and system attributes set

*facepalm*

Found and removed! Thanks.

View PostLeoD, on 16 July 2016 - 03:20 PM, said:

definequote 1013       ^7DP 231

That displays on the screen for a few seconds after starting a game. I updated it to 240.

In other news, I'm pretty sure that I will wait on releasing an Eternity edition until I can use PolymerNG. Below I discuss the performance issue so it's clear why that makes sense.

I am by no means anti-Polymer and it runs fine for me on some projects. But on DNE it is atrocious, and since DNE is designed for Polymer that is a deal breaker. I tried using it and the only thing that made any significant difference was the presence of dynamic lights. I played around with changing screen resolution, the presence of models, CON code, number of lights per surface, 8-bit versus HD textures, and a few other things, and nothing really made much of a difference.

My system specs are CPU i5-4200M at 2.5ghz (2 cores), GPU Geforce GT 750 (x2 with SLI). So my CPU is weak compared with GPU, which is a problem because Polymer is very CPU intensive and leaves the GPU idling a lot. This is on a lenovo laptap, which I don't use for gaming much aside from older games (I have a PS4 for newer stuff).

Anyway, for comparison here is what I get from a certain spot in Lights Camera Action (first level of DNE) using Polymer with lights on:

Posted Image

That's 11 fps! Terrible.

In this next shot I turn off lights.
Posted Image
With lights off in Polymer I get 35fps. Still pretty terrible, not to mention pointless.

Ah, but in Polymost it's a different story.
Posted Image
Here I get 361fps. So my framerate in Polymost is 1000% better when compared to Polymer without lights.

No idea if this is related to Duke Plus or not - but when a Battlelord dies, it becomes a sprite. Any clue why this is?

Also, is there a way to disable the Battlelords from dropping the Miniguns? Although it's a nice idea, I was trying to disable all new weapons to keep Duke3d faithful. I have a feeling it has to due with Enhanced AI, but I really don't want to disable all the Enhanced AI effects just to stop the minigun.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostLightning_Hunter, on 18 July 2016 - 07:50 AM, said:

No idea if this is related to Duke Plus or not - but when a Battlelord dies, it becomes a sprite. Any clue why this is?

Also, is there a way to disable the Battlelords from dropping the Miniguns? Although it's a nice idea, I was trying to disable all new weapons to keep Duke3d faithful. I have a feeling it has to due with Enhanced AI, but I really don't want to disable all the Enhanced AI effects just to stop the minigun.

I edited the battlelord dead body sprite so that it has no minigun. That's the sprite you see when it dies and drops the minigun (otherwise there would be 2 miniguns -- one that is part of the sprite, and one you pick up).

And yes, this is associated with the advanced AI feature. Unfortunately, decoupling it from that feature would require adding yet another option to the menu which is a pain because of the way it is set up. In the next update I will have it display the dead battlelord as normal, so it will show the normal model when using the HRP. Originally I had hoped there would be a version of the model without it holding the gun, but that never happened.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 18 July 2016 - 11:43 AM, said:

I edited the battlelord dead body sprite so that it has no minigun. That's the sprite you see when it dies and drops the minigun (otherwise there would be 2 miniguns -- one that is part of the sprite, and one you pick up).

I see. I actually don't think this is a big deal, because most games have monsters still holding a gun after dropping one as a pickup. I think the default model would be ok.

And yes, this is associated with the advanced AI feature. Unfortunately, decoupling it from that feature would require adding yet another option to the menu which is a pain because of the way it is set up. In the next update I will have it display the dead battlelord as normal, so it will show the normal model when using the HRP. Originally I had hoped there would be a version of the model without it holding the gun, but that never happened.

Is there maybe a way I can edit the CON file myself for the time being and just remove the Minigun altogether? I see this paragraph, but I don't know enough about coding to know which part to erase:

{
	    espawn MINIGUNSPRITE
		setactorvar[RETURN].peractor4 13
		ifvarn rendmode 4
		cactor BOSS1CORPSENOGUN
		else
		cactor BOSS1CORPSE
	}

This post has been edited by Lightning_Hunter: 18 July 2016 - 06:23 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostTrooper Dan, on 18 July 2016 - 11:43 AM, said:

Originally I had hoped there would be a version of the model without it holding the gun, but that never happened.

If I still had the version of Blender with the perfectly working MD3 importer set up from when I did the "render all the pickups for the HUD" project, it would be trivial to make a separate model of the dead frame(s) for you by deleting the minigun.

Though I do know Python now...

View PostLightning_Hunter, on 18 July 2016 - 06:21 PM, said:

Is there maybe a way I can edit the CON file myself for the time being and just remove the Minigun altogether? I see this paragraph, but I don't know enough about coding to know which part to erase:

{
	    // espawn MINIGUNSPRITE
		// setactorvar[RETURN].peractor4 13
		// ifvarn rendmode 4
		// cactor BOSS1CORPSENOGUN
		// else
		cactor BOSS1CORPSE
	}

User is online   Mark 

I deleted all but the final frame and removed the gun. Is this of any use yet? Or do you need the entire animation stream with no gun?

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: BL no gun.jpg

This post has been edited by Mark.: 18 July 2016 - 06:46 PM

Thanks Hendricks. That also fixed the dead sprite bug. I hope there are no ill-effects with those changes though. :P

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMark., on 18 July 2016 - 06:43 PM, said:

I deleted all but the final frame and removed the gun. Is this of any use yet? Or do you need the entire animation stream with no gun?

That should be fine, but, I'm not sure if I want to go forward with it. As Lightning pointed out, it's normal for Duke and other games to have dead enemies drop weapons and still be holding them. Also, with future HRP revisions I would be obligated to update the weaponless battlelord model, and that's not something I can be counted on to do.

View PostLightning_Hunter, on 18 July 2016 - 06:44 PM, said:

Thanks Hendricks. That also fixed the dead sprite bug. I hope there are no ill-effects with those changes though. :P

The only downside is you will have to comment out the weapon spawn again when you download an update.

User is online   Mark 

OK. Just keep me in mind if you have a need for these minor types of things. This took only a couple of minutes to do.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 18 July 2016 - 07:06 PM, said:

The only downside is you will have to comment out the weapon spawn again when you download an update.

No big deal. I don't mind editing it each time if nobody else cares about these issues I have brought up. It might be too much work for you to just satisfy one person.

Edit: I just noticed that the Battlelord "Boss" (found in Spin Cycle for example) still drops a Minigun and has a sprite animation at death. Does anyone know where to change this code? I think there is a normal battlelord, and a battlelord boss.

This post has been edited by Lightning_Hunter: 18 July 2016 - 07:44 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostLightning_Hunter, on 18 July 2016 - 07:29 PM, said:

No big deal. I don't mind editing it each time if nobody else cares about these issues I have brought up. It might be too much work for you to just satisfy one person.

Edit: I just noticed that the Battlelord "Boss" (found in Spin Cycle for example) still drops a Minigun and has a sprite animation at death. Does anyone know where to change this code? I think there is a normal battlelord, and a battlelord boss.

Are you sure you didn't reach the boss by loading a saved game that was created before you made the edit? There is only one battlelord actor and only one place in the code where it spawns that gun.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 18 July 2016 - 07:56 PM, said:

Are you sure you didn't reach the boss by loading a saved game that was created before you made the edit? There is only one battlelord actor and only one place in the code where it spawns that gun.

Hmm, well I killed myself at the start of Spin Cycle in order to do a pistol start, but maybe that did not reset it?

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostLightning_Hunter, on 18 July 2016 - 08:58 PM, said:

Hmm, well I killed myself at the start of Spin Cycle in order to do a pistol start, but maybe that did not reset it?

New CON code goes into effect only if you start a new game. Dying and resetting does not count.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 18 July 2016 - 09:43 PM, said:

New CON code goes into effect only if you start a new game. Dying and resetting does not count.

Thanks, you are indeed correct.

The only other bug I am noticing so far is with the new Octabrain pull attack. Twice now, I have squished against the wall while they are pulling me in, causing instant death. I like a lot of the new attacks, but I don't think I am a fan of this one. Quite often, something will go really wrong while they are pulling me in, and I end up dying somehow. Is there a way to disable this attack editing cons, similar to the Battlelord?

This post has been edited by Lightning_Hunter: 19 July 2016 - 09:56 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostLightning_Hunter, on 19 July 2016 - 09:55 AM, said:

Thanks, you are indeed correct.

The only other bug I am noticing so far is with the new Octabrain pull attack. Twice now, I have squished against the wall while they are pulling me in, causing instant death. I like a lot of the new attacks, but I don't think I am a fan of this one. Quite often, something will go really wrong while they are pulling me in, and I end up dying somehow. Is there a way to disable this attack editing cons, similar to the Battlelord?

That's a case where I actually need to work on it. I like the concept, but you are right -- it causes problems. If the Octabrain only does it at close range, then it's less likely to be a problem. Ideally I want it to pull the player into the Octabrain's bite, not into walls. I'll also look into the movement mechanism -- I should be using the x and y vels on the player, not using movesprite (movesprite effectively teleports sprites, which could lead to squishing). and to try prevent the player from getting squished.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 19 July 2016 - 11:37 AM

View PostTrooper Dan, on 19 July 2016 - 11:31 AM, said:

That's a case where I actually need to work on it. I like the concept, but you are right -- it causes problems. If the Octabrain only does it at close range, then it's less likely to be a problem. Ideally I want it to pull the player into the Octabrain's bite, not into walls. I'll also look into the movement mechanism -- I should be using the x and y vels on the player, not using movesprite (movesprite effectively teleports sprites, which could lead to squishing). and to try prevent the player from getting squished.

Yeah, I think I've actually been squished more than just a few times. There were times that I died while being pulled in, and thought it was because I got shot by an Octabrain projectile. Are the Octabrains even able to fire projectiles while pulling you in? If not, then I must have died many times by being squished.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

The squishing can suck at times, but the attack range is fine IMO.
More DukePlus findings:
- txt files for hfstc and Scar-City are missing (see attachment)
- I have newer versions of TTA2 (old version slipped back in? two bytes diff only) and Sunshine Complex (same day as yours, I did not check what's different) (see attachment)
- Civilian's death animation not always played/completed near walls or sprites (freezes instead)
Attached Image: civdeath1.jpg Attached Image: civdeath2.jpg
- movable objects (cars, kegs, boxes, etc.) will always be pushed into the very same direction (forward) by nearby explosions
- some of those objects shouldn't be movable at all, like the street light #5248
Attached Image: StreetLightMove.jpg

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  DPupd.zip (372.57K)
    Number of downloads: 190

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostLeoD, on 19 July 2016 - 05:26 PM, said:

- movable objects (cars, kegs, boxes, etc.) will always be pushed into the very same direction (forward) by nearby explosions
- some of those objects shouldn't be movable at all, like the street light #5248

None of those things have any CON code designed to make them move when hit -- they do use ifhitweapon and they move a little due to whatever hardcoded shenanigans makes enemies move forward when hit.

But now that you mention it, I'll add some code to make them move (or in some cases, NOT move) correctly.

User is offline   FistMarine 

Trooper Dan, are you going to also include the newest DukePlus released maps? I mean the following ones:
Baserape
Island Base
E1L1A

Oh and another thing: could you also supply 32-bit version of EDuke32 in DukePlus folder? I wanted to play DukePlus on my laptop but it seems that only 64-bit version of EDuke32 was included, so I can't play. I know my laptop isn't powerful enough but still, it would be nice for testing.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostFistMarine, on 19 July 2016 - 09:08 PM, said:

Trooper Dan, are you going to also include the newest DukePlus released maps? I mean the following ones:
Baserape
Island Base
E1L1A

Oh and another thing: could you also supply 32-bit version of EDuke32 in DukePlus folder? I wanted to play DukePlus on my laptop but it seems that only 64-bit version of EDuke32 was included, so I can't play. I know my laptop isn't powerful enough but still, it would be nice for testing.

I haven't decided on the maps yet -- I haven't even played them to be honest. There are two "levels" of included maps. The ones in the DukePlus hallway (accessible via the DukePlus Levels episode) are the "hall of fame" maps. But some other maps are included in the folder which don't have doors in the hallway. As for the exe: It's debatable whether I should include one at all, and it's not much trouble for someone to just download the 32-bit version if they need it. The vast majority of systems these days are 64 bit, are they not?

View PostTrooper Dan, on 19 July 2016 - 08:14 PM, said:

None of those things have any CON code designed to make them move when hit -- they do use ifhitweapon and they move a little due to whatever hardcoded shenanigans makes enemies move forward when hit.

But now that you mention it, I'll add some code to make them move (or in some cases, NOT move) correctly.

I added the code and applied to to just about anything that can be interacted with. It uses the weight variable which was already in the game for determining how for the player can throw the object. Here are the initial results of that addition:

View PostTrooper Dan, on 19 July 2016 - 09:52 PM, said:

I haven't decided on the maps yet -- I haven't even played them to be honest. There are two "levels" of included maps. The ones in the DukePlus hallway (accessible via the DukePlus Levels episode) are the "hall of fame" maps. But some other maps are included in the folder which don't have doors in the hallway. As for the exe: It's debatable whether I should include one at all, and it's not much trouble for someone to just download the 32-bit version if they need it. The vast majority of systems these days are 64 bit, are they not?

Yeah, I wanted to have some new DukePlus levels accessible from the hub map in DukePlus Levels episode. And I know there are some maps in folder that aren't in the hallway, I think one of them is From Base to Base (the first one, not the second one), I remember reading that in an older version of DukePlus but I am not very sure. And I haven't played Baserape either but I played the other 2 and they would make worthy additions to the DukePlus episode. Of course you may disagree, I'm not saying they have to be added but I would still like to have them.

As for the exe: I was thinking to just download 32-bit version of EDuke32 and place the files into the DukePlus folder and play them that way, just like I did with DECAY. And yeah I guess most systems have 64-bit OSes installed. I only have my PC running 64-bit version of Windows 7 but my laptop runs 32-bit version of Windows 7. :P

EDIT: I forgot to mention but I remember an old bug that happened in previous versions of DukePlus: When finishing the second last level (as shown from left to right in the DukePlus hub level), it didn't count as registered, so the green star didn't appear to show level was completed. But completing the last level marks the PREVIOUS level as completed. So that means you have to complete last level twice for it to register as completed. Has this bug been fixed? I can test right now in the newest version of DukePlus and try to complete these 2 levels quickly to see if the bug happens.

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 19 July 2016 - 11:31 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostFistMarine, on 19 July 2016 - 11:27 PM, said:

EDIT: I forgot to mention but I remember an old bug that happened in previous versions of DukePlus: When finishing the second last level (as shown from left to right in the DukePlus hub level), it didn't count as registered, so the green star didn't appear to show level was completed. But completing the last level marks the PREVIOUS level as completed. So that means you have to complete last level twice for it to register as completed. Has this bug been fixed? I can test right now in the newest version of DukePlus and try to complete these 2 levels quickly to see if the bug happens.

I just took a look at the code, then I tested it in game, and it seems to work fine. I was starting with only the DP effects map completed. I then completed the second to last door, and the star appeared correctly. Then I completed the final door (far right side) and that star appeared correctly as well.

Easy way to complete levels by the way: open console, use "god" and "give all" cheats, then "spawn boss1". Kill the boss with 3 BFG shots, level ends.

I have installed DukePlus 2.40 and put EDuke32 32-bit exe and it worked, so I have it set up and see if I can reproduce the issue again.

And yeah I also knew about that trick to complete the levels easier and faster, though I was thinking at enabling god and noclip and reaching exit of levels but that works too! I will try right now in all levels because the issue might happen only when completing all the levels.

EDIT: I have tested and I can safely say that the issue has been fixed. The stars appeared as normal, so it seems like it was fixed as you said. However I did get few bugs that I want to point out:

1) This seems like it could be my laptop's fault but the exclamation marks (and periods in user map menu) appear as a white line in 32-bit mode. In 8-bit mode it works fine.
2) In levels that force BFG replacement for Devastator, the ammo gets reset to 50 even when you have Devastator after starting another level. This is because the BFG is meant to have 50 ammo max but even after Devastator is enabled again, it still retains 50 ammo max instead of 99.
3) Not a bug but I would like in hallway the level "WCTime" displayed as full name "Wonderful Christmas Time".
4) When I finished Blackend, Medic could still heal Dukebots even on the end of level screen and after the game has reached main menu. It was kind of funny seeing "DUKEBOT HEALED BY MEDIC" message persisting through menus.
5) In DP Community Project map, I experienced so much lag that when I used BFG to kill spawned Battlelord, the reloading animation continued to play when I was firing.
6) In hallway in Scar City section, the letters seem to appear and disappear. Again it doesn't happen in 8-bit mode, only on 32-bit mode.

I have attached 4 screenshots that show the white line problem and the disappearing letters. I also showed that the stars appeared as normal on the last 2 levels, as intended.

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 20 July 2016 - 02:00 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostFistMarine, on 19 July 2016 - 09:08 PM, said:

The TXT recommends DukePlus, but does it actually use any DP assets? At least it's not stored in my DukePlusMaps folder.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 19 July 2016 - 09:52 PM, said:

I haven't decided on the maps yet
Separating hallway maps from others in different folders would be nice, so that noob players won't miss the latter.

View PostFistMarine, on 20 July 2016 - 01:26 AM, said:

1) This seems like it could be my laptop's fault but the exclamation marks (and periods in user map menu) appear as a white line in 32-bit mode. In 8-bit mode it works fine.
Bug in the texture cache system IMO (shows up rarely and on letters only). Delete texture and texture.cache files, and retry.

View PostFistMarine, on 20 July 2016 - 01:26 AM, said:

6) In hallway in Scar City section, the letters seem to appear and disappear. Again it doesn't happen in 8-bit mode, only on 32-bit mode.
Polymer bug. Should not show up in Polymost. Can be dealt with by maphacks or by the mapper, moving the letters away from the wall.

View PostLeoD, on 20 July 2016 - 03:36 AM, said:

The TXT recommends DukePlus, but does it actually use any DP assets? At least it's not stored in my DukePlusMaps folder.

Yeah, I just remember now and I think it doesn't use any DP assets. This map can be discarded now but I would still like the other 2 maps to be added.

Bug in the texture cache system IMO (shows up rarely and on letters only). Delete texture and texture.cache files, and retry.

Polymer bug. Should not show up in Polymost. Can be dealt with by maphacks or by the mapper, moving the letters away from the wall.

Weird, I just deleted these files and the white letters still show up. However for me it's the opposite, the bug shows up in Polymost but not in Polymer. And now that I tried in Polymer, I don't have anymore the moving letters bug (in either Polymost or Polymer) and at same time I also realized that Polymer DOES indeed run on my laptop but it's very laggy, so I will stick with Polymost for now. Sorry if this sounds confusing.

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 20 July 2016 - 03:53 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostFistMarine, on 20 July 2016 - 03:53 AM, said:

Weird, I just deleted these files and the white letters still show up.
Just to be sure: you're aware that, depending on installation style and command line parameters, you might have two sets of texture[.cache] files? One besides eduke32.exe, the other in the DukePlus folder.

I only had the files located in the DukePlus folder inside the main DukePlus folder.

To clarify, I have two different folders with EDuke32 installed: One is located in its own EDuke32 folder and other is located in DukePlus folder. Inside the DukePlus folder, I have a second DukePlus folder with the mod files and the cache files were created there, so I deleted them. But in MAIN DukePlus folder that contains eduke32.exe, there is no cache file.

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 20 July 2016 - 06:19 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

I have updated the download on Fissile Materials with the latest changes. The changelog list has been updated as well, but I forgot to change the date (it still says 7/15 on the file and website even though it is actually 7/20).

Trooper Dan, have you looked at my previous bug reports? Anyway I have found more bugs:

1) Monsters spawned from a moncapsule are slightly bigger than normal when released. This affects all the regular monsters such as: assault trooper, pig cop, recon (DP version), enforcer, turret, drone, slimer egg, commander and protector drone. This bug has been around since some versions but I don't remember when it first started. Mini bosses are unaffected by this, they show up normally as they should, I think.
2) Another bug related to the one above but it looks like whenever you release a monster, it adds another monster to total count, thus it screws the kill counter and you may end up with "monsters missed" at end of level.
3) Rockets spawned from RPG are smaller than usual. This one got introduced in latest version.

I am now going to download the updated version released yesterday. BTW I have noticed that the dukebike maps got removed. I looked inside dpmaps folder and it looks like other test maps such as spacejump are still there. Any reason why the dukebike maps got removed? They were good for testing stuff, IMO.

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 21 July 2016 - 01:30 AM

Share this topic:

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options