Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] EDuke32 Addon Compilation - Duke4.net Forums

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] EDuke32 Addon Compilation  "Version 3.13 released on December 6, 2016!"

User is offline   Ax 34noff 

Edit:
American Assault - beatable but rough.
Didn't try your fixed map because i'm already a couple maps further.

User is offline   Ax 34noff 

Burnt - no issues found.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

"American Assault" updated with the camera/viewscreen fix for AMASL302.

To update:
- Use the downloader script (unzip into your EDuke32 root dir and execute eac_install.bat) OR
- Get the updated EAC Base Pack (13.3 MB) and download "american.grp" from the repository

User is offline   tibor89 

Hi everyone!
I played some Duke Nukem 3D addons a long time ago and this is will be perfect time for me to try out some new maps. :)
I definitely looking forward for the stable 4.0 version of this compilation.
I don't know how good idea is to launch a level from the experimental version, the only thing for me is that EDuke32 doesn't have to crash.

This post has been edited by tibor89: 03 August 2021 - 07:10 AM

• The Truth is in here

It will still take quite a while before this is getting finished, I am afraid. Good news is that we seem to be in a situation now where EDuke32-related issues are getting fixed rather quickly. It looks like we may end up with EDuke32 binaries that could be 100% EAC compatible once we are done.

• The Truth is in here

Update:

It looks like we might FINALLY, after all these years, get a fix for the usermaps packs which are currently more or less disabled or at least not working as intended (Bolduc Pack, C3PO Pack, Cerovsky Pack, Glavic Pack, Kucera Pack, Pinxten Pack, Quakis Pack, Ruohonen Pack, Space Map Pack, Spiegul Contest, Stranger Pack, Taivo Pack and Urban Map Pack). The idea is that for those packs, you go to user maps instead of episode selection automatically, with a custom "usermaps" folder directly opened which contains only the new maps, excluding any regular Duke3D maps. The feature had been basically available already since a while, but wouldn't work if files are zipped (which they ofc are). This might actually change now.

Will keep you posted once we have an EDuke32 build with this implemented, so testing can start on those addons as well.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 04 August 2021 - 02:19 AM

View Posttibor89, on 03 August 2021 - 07:10 AM, said:

Hi everyone!
I played some Duke Nukem 3D addons a long time ago and this is will be perfect time for me to try out some new maps. :)
I definitely looking forward for the stable 4.0 version of this compilation.
I don't know how good idea is to launch a level from the experimental version, the only thing for me is that EDuke32 doesn't have to crash.

The only source of crashes (or rather, freezes) currently is the midi music, which is an eduke32 issue. TerminX worked on a fix, but I'm not able to test it at the moment.

If you use OPL3 music or if you install an SF2 soundfont (simply dropping the file in eduke32 folder and selecting it via the sound settings should be enough) then no crashes will occur.

The remaining issues are gameplay related. I'd say absolutely give it a go with the current version -- if you encounter any problems, you can report them here and they will get addressed. It will help the compilation, the port, and you'll get to play the maps and mods sooner.

View PostNightFright, on 04 August 2021 - 02:15 AM, said:

Update:

It looks like we might FINALLY, after all these years, get a fix for the usermaps packs which are currently more or less disabled or at least not working as intended (Bolduc Pack, C3PO Pack, Cerovsky Pack, Glavic Pack, Kucera Pack, Pinxten Pack, Quakis Pack, Ruohonen Pack, Space Map Pack, Spiegul Contest, Stranger Pack, Taivo Pack and Urban Map Pack). The idea is that for those packs, you go to user maps instead of episode selection automatically, with a custom "usermaps" folder directly opened which contains only the new maps, excluding any regular Duke3D maps. The feature had been basically available already since a while, but wouldn't work if files are zipped (which they ofc are). This might actually change now.

Will keep you posted once we have an EDuke32 build with this implemented, so testing can start on those addons as well.

It's good to go, r9493.

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 04 August 2021 - 08:52 AM

• The Truth is in here

How exactly does it work now? Especially: What does user.con have to look like to make sure you return to the user maps menu after each map is finished? Define huge episodes with 63 entries max (I think that's the limit according to what Hendricks once told me), with one level slot gap between each level? Or is there another way?

View PostNightFright, on 04 August 2021 - 01:00 PM, said:

How exactly does it work now? Especially: What does user.con have to look like to make sure you return to the user maps menu after each map is finished? Define huge episodes with 63 entries max (I think that's the limit according to what Hendricks once told me), with one level slot gap between each level? Or is there another way?

You can define your map slots wherever you want. The following CON code should be sufficient to achieve the desired effect, but I didn't test it thoroughly:

// tracks the previous main menu (can differ between ingame (50) and out-of-game (0))
var mm_type 0 0
// tracks whether a map was just finished
var ended_map 0 0

// skip E4 cutscene, E1-E4 ending cutscene, E1-E4 ending text and images
var LOGO_FLAGS 0x1ff8ff 0

onevent EVENT_CHANGEMENU
    ife current_menu 0 set mm_type 0
    else ife current_menu 50 set mm_type 50

// skip episode menu (backwards and forwards)
    ife RETURN 100
    {
        ife current_menu 101 set RETURN mm_type
        else set RETURN 101
    }

endevent

onevent EVENT_ENDLEVELSCREEN
    // setting EOG causes return to title. You can make this conditional on the level in case certain maps are intended for continuous play.
    setu[].eog 1
    // disable the startup logo here to immediately go to the menu
    and LOGO_FLAGS -2
    set ended_map 1
endevent

onevent EVENT_MAINMENUSCREEN
    // immediately jump to the usermaps menu after having finished a level
    ifn ended_map 0
    {
        cmenu 101
        set mm_type 0
        set ended_map 0
    }
endevent

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 04 August 2021 - 01:59 PM

• The Truth is in here

First observations:
1) It works in general, jumps directly to the usermaps menu. Progress!
2) Assigned map names (definelevelname) won't be used. Displayed ingame names are always like "usermaps/mapname.map".
3) Same with music. Will always use dethtoll.mid.

Any way to fix that?

CON example for "Bolduc Pack":
include game.con

var mm_type 0 0
var ended_map 0 0
var LOGO_FLAGS 0x1ff8ff 0

onevent EVENT_CHANGEMENU
    ife current_menu 0 set mm_type 0
    else ife current_menu 50 set mm_type 50
    ife RETURN 100
    {
        ife current_menu 101 set RETURN mm_type
        else set RETURN 101
    }
endevent

onevent EVENT_ENDLEVELSCREEN
    setu[].eog 1
    and LOGO_FLAGS -2
    set ended_map 1
endevent

onevent EVENT_MAINMENUSCREEN
    ifn ended_map 0
    {
        cmenu 101
        set mm_type 0
        set ended_map 0
    }
endevent

// Episodes
definevolumename 5 BOLDUC

// Levels
definelevelname 5 0 usermaps/atomicarena.map    00:00 00:00 ATOMIC ARENA
definelevelname 5 1 usermaps/brooklynbridge.map 00:00 00:00 BROOKLYN BRIDGE
definelevelname 5 2 usermaps/entrapped.map      00:00 00:00 ENTRAPPED
definelevelname 5 3 usermaps/moviemax.map       00:00 00:00 GHETTO
definelevelname 5 4 usermaps/mariokart-dm.map   00:00 00:00 MARIOKART64: DOUBLE DECK
definelevelname 5 5 usermaps/parkade.map        00:00 00:00 PARKADE 3D
definelevelname 5 6 usermaps/rcpd2.map          00:00 00:00 RCPD FINALE
definelevelname 5 7 usermaps/therock.map        00:00 00:00 THE ROCK

// Music
music 6 urban.mid whomp.mid bakedgds.mid 233c.mid ahgeez.mid gotham.mid fatcmdr.mid music/therock.ogg

// Sounds for "The Rock"
definesound 400 sounds/rock_278.voc 0 0 254 2 0
definesound 401 sounds/rock_393.voc 0 0 255 0 0
definesound 402 sounds/rock_394.voc 0 0 255 2 0
definesound 403 sounds/rock_395.voc 0 0 255 2 0
definesound 404 sounds/rock_396.voc 0 0   4 0 0

This post has been edited by NightFright: 04 August 2021 - 09:41 PM

View PostNightFright, on 04 August 2021 - 09:38 PM, said:

First observations:
1) It works in general, jumps directly to the usermaps menu. Progress!
2) Assigned map names (definelevelname) won't be used. Displayed ingame names are always like "usermaps/mapname.map".
3) Same with music. Will always use dethtoll.mid.

Any way to fix that?

CON example for "Bolduc Pack":

Your CON code is fine. The game is supposed to recognize that a usermap has a level defined. The fact that it doesn't occur is another bug -- if you leave and re-enter the usermaps folder it works, so I have an idea why it's happening.

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 05 August 2021 - 01:36 AM

• The Truth is in here

Let's hope that can be fixed, too. It's almost where I need it to be.

View PostNightFright, on 05 August 2021 - 02:07 AM, said:

Let's hope that can be fixed, too. It's almost where I need it to be.

I submitted another MR, so soon, probably.

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 05 August 2021 - 08:33 AM

• The Truth is in here

Excellent. If this works out, I'll provide a big update with all the affected addons.

It should be fixed in r9498

• The Truth is in here

User map packs (Bolduc Pack, C3PO Pack, Cerovsky Pack, Glavic Pack, Kucera Pack, Pinxten Pack, Quakis Pack, Ruohonen Pack, Space Map Pack, Spiegul Contest, Stranger Pack, Taivo Pack and Urban Map Pack) are now all working as intended: User Maps menu is opening instead of episode selection.

Thanks *A LOT* (and I mean that!) to Doom64Hunter for making this work as intended after all this long waiting time!

I have given all affected packs a quick startup test and everything seems to be fine. Testing on these packs may now officially commence as well.
Note: Usage of EDuke32 r9498 or newer is MANDATORY from here on out!

To update:
- Use the downloader script (unzip into your EDuke32 root dir and execute eac_install.bat) OR
- Get the updated EAC Base Pack (13.3 MB) and download "bolduc.grp", "c3po.grp", "cerovsky.grp", "glavic.grp", "kucera.grp", "pinxten.grp", "quakis.grp", "ruohonen.grp", "space.grp", "spiegul.grp", "stranger.grp", "taivo.grp" and "urban.grp" from the repository

This post has been edited by NightFright: 05 August 2021 - 11:56 PM

User is offline   FistMarine 

I gave a quick test in latest EDuke32 r9498 on Pinxten Pack (first 5 or so maps completed quickly with cheats, stopped at MPRail for now) and Spiegul Contest (only to check if maps work fine) and it seems everything is working properly. I only have to report the following stuff:

-The user map menu works as intended, you select a map directly from the list to play, they are shown in alphabetical order. When you beat a map, it returns you immediately to main menu where you can select another map to play. I would like if possible to customize the order of the maps shown, so people will know the correct order when playing these Map Packs and maybe have the text turn green for completed maps or have all maps display as red/orange and when completed, turn blue.
-The maps showed their name just fine (at start, on automap and at end of level), though I would suggest giving names to those Pinxten maps that have no proper names, I'm talking about those such as MPHydro, MPOrbit and so on. I think I suggested some names a few years ago on same topic but nothing was done about it. Maybe it might be worth contacting the author and asking for map names for the rest maps that have no proper names?
-In MPHydro, there is that underwater sector that is difficult to fit through. I only tested quickly the maps with cheats (DNKROZ, DNSTUFF, DNCLIP) and I forgot to test that part properly due to being in a rush but I remember that sector is difficult to cross even in the original DOS version (1.3D and 1.5), which I just played a while ago for the previous month's Map/Mod club event. And I imagine with EDuke32 clipping changes (which might have been reverted, I'm not sure because I haven't followed EDuke32 development as of lately) this particular section might be impossible to complete without the noclip cheat. I would suggest making the sector slightly larger, unless it has already been changed before and I haven't noticed.
-When I tried the Spiegul maps, at one point I entered in the user map menu to select another map and tried going back with ESC button but then I got stuck in menu when it kept asking me "ABORT GAME? Y/N" and pressing N, if pressing Y I was able to go into the main EDuke32 user map directory but then I still got locked there and I couldn't exit the menu until I started a new game. I imagine this will be frustrating to those that haven't saved and are forced to lose progress just to continue playing. Good thing I'm saving often! To reproduce this bug, start a new game and then after map has loaded, press ESC, go to New Game, then press ESC again and you will be stuck with game asking you to "ABORT GAME". I tried reproducing this on EDuke32 (no mods loaded, just a bunch of user maps in random directories inside EDuke32 folder) and I couldn't reproduce the issue, so it must be something related to this new User Maps menu for the addons.

Other than that, things seemed fine and it's good to see the EDuke32 Addon Compilation making progress. I will give a couple more tests this weekend or next week for the remaining maps/packs and then I will report everything I will find! :)

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostFistMarine, on 06 August 2021 - 02:56 AM, said:

-The maps showed their name just fine (at start, on automap and at end of level), though I would suggest giving names to those Pinxten maps that have no proper names, I'm talking about those such as MPHydro, MPOrbit and so on. I think I suggested some names a few years ago on same topic but nothing was done about it. Maybe it might be worth contacting the author and asking for map names for the rest maps that have no proper names?

I don't think it's fit to think up names for someone else's maps. If they're just named MP Orbit, then so be it I guess.

-In MPHydro, there is that underwater sector that is difficult to fit through. I only tested quickly the maps with cheats (DNKROZ, DNSTUFF, DNCLIP) and I forgot to test that part properly due to being in a rush but I remember that sector is difficult to cross even in the original DOS version (1.3D and 1.5), which I just played a while ago for the previous month's Map/Mod club event. And I imagine with EDuke32 clipping changes (which might have been reverted, I'm not sure because I haven't followed EDuke32 development as of lately) this particular section might be impossible to complete without the noclip cheat. I would suggest making the sector slightly larger, unless it has already been changed before and I haven't noticed.

Just checked in r9476 and can confirm it's impossible to fit through that passage. It's one of the diagonal underwater corridors, close to a tripmine pickup.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

The EAC's custom CONs should not leave any warning messages in eduke32.log.
Spoiler
Almost all of them are inherited from the original USER.CON, of course, but here is a good opportunity to get rid of them. I can do that for you to save your time. Note that the example's "muzak" issue is a slip specific to badweekend_user.con.

• The Truth is in here

Thanks for the hint with the missing sound in "Bad Weekend"! That one was an oopsie on my part. Incorrectly defined in the script AND misplaced in the music subdir (well, it's a music track, but used as a sound ingame). Facepalm...

To update:
- Get the updated EAC Base Pack (13.3 MB) and download "badweekend.grp" from the repository

Also, please test attached edit for MPHYDRO to see if that solves getting stuck in the underwater corridor (wall #1402 has been slightly moved to make the passage a bit wider). I dunno how a minimal shift of one wall could result in a filesize reduction of 10 KB, but it seems I didn't delete anything, so I guess/hope it's only a side effect without any consequences. Still, even if it just barely worked in DOS, it's something that should be looked at by EDuke32 coders since there might be other maps out there with similar problems that won't get fixed.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 06 August 2021 - 05:12 AM

Yeah this is also really hard to get through in r6775 (which I use as my go-to old revision, before any player clipping changes).

The section is here, just move the top-leftmost vertex of the passage up a bit and the player will fit through.

Attached Image: capt0000.png

-When I tried the Spiegul maps, at one point I entered in the user map menu to select another map and tried going back with ESC button but then I got stuck in menu when it kept asking me "ABORT GAME? Y/N" and pressing N, if pressing Y I was able to go into the main EDuke32 user map directory but then I still got locked there and I couldn't exit the menu until I started a new game. I imagine this will be frustrating to those that haven't saved and are forced to lose progress just to continue playing. Good thing I'm saving often! To reproduce this bug, start a new game and then after map has loaded, press ESC, go to New Game, then press ESC again and you will be stuck with game asking you to "ABORT GAME". I tried reproducing this on EDuke32 (no mods loaded, just a bunch of user maps in random directories inside EDuke32 folder) and I couldn't reproduce the issue, so it must be something related to this new User Maps menu for the addons.

This one is the fault of my CON file, I forgot that there's a prompt between the newgame menu and the episode screen while inside a running game.

Edit:

View PostNightFright, on 06 August 2021 - 04:38 AM, said:

I dunno how a minimal shift of one wall could result in a filesize reduction of 10 KB, but it seems I didn't delete anything, so I guess/hope it's only a side effect without any consequences.

The map file might have had some data appended to it that was removed by mapster32 saving the file. It probably shouldn't affect the map, but I'll keep it in mind to look at later.

View PostNightFright, on 06 August 2021 - 04:38 AM, said:

Still, even if it just barely worked in DOS, it's something that should be looked at by EDuke32 coders since there might be other maps out there with similar problems that won't get fixed.

True, but this is a case that's almost impossible to account for, since it was already close to impossible to get through in DOS, any change to the player movement (or even Build's clipping functions) is likely to cause problems. One option would be to revert to legacy clipping functions if certain map md4 hashes are recognized.

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 06 August 2021 - 06:00 AM

• The Truth is in here

What would need to be the necessary edit for the con files? Geez, that means I need to update all 13 user map packs yet again. But well, can sneak in the Pinxten Pack map patch like that - if it is approved.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 06 August 2021 - 06:04 AM

View PostNightFright, on 06 August 2021 - 06:04 AM, said:

What would need to be the necessary edit for the con files? Geez, that means I need to update all 13 user map packs yet again. But well, can sneak in the Pinxten Pack map patch like that - if it is approved.

Sorry for the inconvenience, I made a wrong assumption in how the menu change works.

Change the EVENT_CHANGEMENU event to the following:

onevent EVENT_CHANGEMENU
    ife RETURN 100
        set RETURN 101

ife RETURN 1500
        ife current_menu 101
            set RETURN 0
endevent

And you can also remove the variable mm_type as a result. I hope this now works properly.

• The Truth is in here

Third and last update today. Script update for all user map packs + MPHYDRO fix for the "Pinxten Pack".

To update:
- Get the updated EAC Base Pack (13.3 MB) and download "bolduc.grp", "c3po.grp", "cerovsky.grp", "glavic.grp", "kucera.grp", "pinxten.grp", "quakis.grp", "ruohonen.grp", "space.grp", "spiegul.grp", "stranger.grp", "taivo.grp" and "urban.grp" from the repository

*UPDATE*
Now it even works after I f'ed up all the scripts before.

*UPDATE #2*
Did anyone check what the "Mariokart-DM" map from the Bolduc pack looks like? I randomly loaded it during my launch test and it doesn't seem to render the large gaps between the different levels correctly, and that in Polymost. It's just a DM map, but as simple as it is, I find it hard to believe the author made any fundamental mapping mistakes here.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 06 August 2021 - 11:08 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Bug in fusion.con:

line 2374 is supposed to be "definesound BODY_THUD5 sounds/bodyf5.wav -64 64 128 0 0"

Patched CON attached.
I've also corrected the other "Sound *.voc(#*) not found!" warnings, some inherited from the original USER.CON, some specific to fusion.con, as proposed above in Post #1298.

Attached File(s)

User is online   Phredreeke 

Ok, I'm done with the EAC ERP compatibility list

Spoiler

In most cases, semi-compatible just means I need to add a palette swapped skybox.

Would it be a lot of work to edit a few addons to use something else than logo.anm/logo.ivf as the name of their intro animation? I'm unsure if I can prevent that from being overridden by my existing upscale of the nuke logo.

dn64revisited
jjduke
lastreaction

View PostPhredreeke, on 06 August 2021 - 03:06 PM, said:

Ok, I'm done with the EAC ERP compatibility list

Spoiler

In most cases, semi-compatible just means I need to add a palette swapped skybox.

Would it be a lot of work to edit a few addons to use something else than logo.anm/logo.ivf as the name of their intro animation? I'm unsure if I can prevent that from being overridden by my existing upscale of the nuke logo.

dn64revisited
jjduke
lastreaction

With new Eduke32 version (downloaded the latest one to check Nightfright's updated addons) the upscale pack has some issues with colors (keycards, liztroopers appears blue)

User is online   Phredreeke 

Of course it does, because it doesn't have indexed hightiles merged...

View PostPhredreeke, on 07 August 2021 - 12:32 AM, said:

Of course it does, because it doesn't have indexed hightiles merged...

I've been wondering what the status on that branch is anyways, it's been lying around as a WIP Merge Request on voidpoint.io for a long while now.

• The Truth is in here

One more update for the usermaps packs since I decided to move the EDuke32-specific code into a separate file. In case it needs to be updated, it will be a lot easier since you can change just one con and then copy-paste it into all the others. Also, the incorrectly defined sound(s) in Fusion are fixed.

However, I don't think I will go through the behemoth task of uncommenting all unused sounds in all addons now, this would simply require too much effort for nothing to gain except for getting rid of some harmless startup warnings.

Oh, and forget about that DM map in the Bolduc pack. Seems it's Polymer only, like most others of that author's maps.

To update:
- Get the updated EAC Base Pack (13.3 MB) and download "bolduc.grp", "c3po.grp", "cerovsky.grp", "fusion.grp", "glavic.grp", "kucera.grp", "pinxten.grp", "quakis.grp", "ruohonen.grp", "space.grp", "spiegul.grp", "stranger.grp", "taivo.grp" and "urban.grp" from the repository

-------------------------------------

@Phredreeke:
Renaming the logo intros can be considered, but it will require scripting and tbh I don't know what it would have to look like. Also, please note your current list is incomplete. "Fusion" for example also has a logo.anm, and I am sure there are many more addons which do.

@Doom64Hunter:
Once thing that is bothering me since quite a while is that grpinfo can only support one groupfile dependency at a time. I am wondering if that could be changed so that Atomic and World Tour are recognized at the same time. This would spare me the bothersome effort of having to maintain two grpinfo files with almost identical definitions except for the "dependency" entries. I was thinking of something like making two entries possible, with EDuke32 being able to choose from either of them:
grpinfo
{
[...]
    dependency DUKE15_CRC DUKEWT_CRC
}

or maybe
grpinfo
{
[...]
    dependency1 DUKE15_CRC
    dependency2 DUKEWT_CRC
}

This post has been edited by NightFright: 07 August 2021 - 01:12 AM

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options