Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] EDuke32 Addon Compilation - Duke4.net Forums

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] EDuke32 Addon Compilation  "Version 3.13 released on December 6, 2016!"

User is offline   VGA 

I hope the Recommended installation only installs the good maps :(

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

No and no. Authors have already expressed their desire that their work remains independant, and I am going to respect that.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Right, and I'm not pushing you to include them against the author's wishes. :( I'm just asking because the addon compilation is a dream in terms of convenience. I hope authors who don't want their mods included will reconsider their inclusion.

This post has been edited by Radar: 09 September 2019 - 05:08 AM

User is online   Phredreeke 

I've suggested this before (albeit in a different context), but it would really help the addon compilation if eduke32 had the ability to filter out savegames made with other GRP files

View PostPhredreeke, on 09 September 2019 - 03:59 PM, said:

I've suggested this before (albeit in a different context), but it would really help the addon compilation if eduke32 had the ability to filter out savegames made with other GRP files

Do you think it could be possible to make Eduke handle save files inside GRPs instead of the game's folder ?
Like, instead of creating a save file in the folder it would create one in the GRP instead ?

Sounds like that would be the way of including such a functionality but is it actually feasible ? Especially since the GRPs in the compilation are kinda protected, they're no longer recognized if modified ...

This post has been edited by TheDragonLiner: 09 September 2019 - 11:30 PM

• The Truth is in here

View PostTheDragonLiner, on 09 September 2019 - 11:29 PM, said:

Especially since the GRPs in the compilation are kinda protected, they're no longer recognized if modified ...

That's not a protection. Altered GRPs have different sizes/checksums, therefore the grpinfo file would need to be updated. If it's not, it's like the modified GRPs simply don't exist.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 10 September 2019 - 02:19 AM

Messing with the GRP files is a bad idea anyway. AFAIK when updating a GRP file the entire file has to be rewritten. I guess an option would be creating a new file with the same name but different extension to hold savefiles.

User is offline   FistMarine 

Personally I would prefer if the saves get separated by the grp files you are using. So that they don't show up if you are playing one addon and have saves from other addon.

Example: If you are playing Aqua Series and ADG Episode, if you have saves from ADG episode and then you go to play Aqua series, you shouldn't be able to see the saves from the ADG episode. Either that or have them displayed but they can't be loaded, instead you will get a warning message saying that the save was made with a different mod. Similar to the ZDoom based ports for Doom, if the save was made with a different mod, it will be differently colored and can't be loaded unless you load the correct mods first. I know EDuke32 has a similar case with saves from a different version but it should also prevent loading saves made with different mods.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

sorry NightFright.

totally mistaken Tea Monster for you in another thread. I know that's pretty heinous to insult you like that and I hope, in time, you can forgive me.

• The Truth is in here

Well, we all make mistakes from time to time. Maybe it'll inspire you to not talk badly about people in public sections. That's something for PMs. A lesson that may also be suited for some others, btw. Lecture mode off.

Bottom line: We are good. 😋

User is offline   ETPC 

Any updates?

• The Truth is in here

Basically same as before. Hendricks' implemenation for user map menus works, but not from within groupfiles, sadly. It's the only thing preventing a release basically. Even though there have been so many changes to EDuke32 lately that half of the addons could be broken by now and I wouldn't know about it.

I was also going to ask how are things going at the moment but I was waiting a couple more weeks until sometime in February (after my exam session) and it looks like ETPC already asked in meantime. Surprised that Hendricks didn't downvote ETPC's comment, considering he did downvote at least two of my posts in this topic when I asked about any updates in past years (when there haven't been any news about the compilation in months). Seriously, the last compilation update was released 3 years ago, what's taking so long? Joking of course, I appreciate when there are at least news about progress, I don't mind waiting a couple more months in meantime.

Oh well, at least NightFright was kind enough to let us know how are things at the moment. I can patiently wait until next year, since in mid 2020, after I finish with my Master studies, I will have enough time playing through every user map and mod released for Duke3D (other games as well, in case of Duke I will also be going through old user maps and mods in DOSBox) and then I should be able to report any bugs that I will find along the way, assuming the addon compilation update gets released until then. I'm going to assume the upcoming update will release in mid April, to celebrate the original 1.3D release of Duke3D.

To contribute to the topic, I will say that back in February/March of this year, when I played through original release of Fusion TC (in Atomic 1.5 using DOSBox 0.74, interestingly I couldn't make the original version of addon to make it work in 1.3D as it would never start, I will start a different topic for that but at least the Atomic version of Fusion worked fine), so anyway I encountered many of the oddities that were also found in the addon compilation version, such as becoming randomly invincible at the start of some levels, the slot 0 weapon (with 5 ammo) having infinite ammo (except when falling and underwater, in both cases it would deplete normally), the enemy count bugs (some enemies don't count as killed when you kill them, others don't count as live enemies, etc), enemies randomly becoming invincible, etc. So these issues existed since the addon was released back in early 2000s. As far as I know, all these issues should be fixed in the upcoming version of addon compilation (4.0 I guess?) but I just thought I'd let you know that these bugs happened in DOS version as well. Either way I'm happy to have a fixed and polished version of the addon, even though I don't like this particular addon that much due to how hard it is and how poorly designed is in general, it's worth having a fixed version of the addon in this compilation so it plays a bit better.

I have a question: In the eventual case the new compilation update gets released, which EDuke32 build will you recommend for best experience? I'm also aware of the many glitches that have happened as of late and there's one issue that happened to me and I never got around to report it but it's been introduced since beginning of this year or late 2018 and basically it has to do with 32-bit mode, it seems I get a black screen and game becomes unplayable (the nuke logo displays fine but after that the screen becomes black and have to guess where I am and choose quit game or else bring the Task Manager to close eduke32.exe). I will make a separate topic with that report, just give me a few days to find out which is the first build where this happens.

EDIT: Merry Christmas!

This post has been edited by RunningDuke: 25 December 2019 - 06:45 AM

• The Truth is in here

Right now I can't recommend any EDuke32 snapshot since currently there's no build out there which guarantees full functionality.

I will most likely run an open beta for the code-heavy addons to see how they do with recent snapshots. Would like to avoid another bug report wave about things that broke during code changes. It's good and bad at the same time EDuke32 is undergoing such fundamental changes, but that's one of the reasons why this compilation exists. You need to adjust the addons to work with the new code in some cases. Even though that shouldn't be necessary very often. At least it's a good way to find out about broken code.

As a side note, I have finally switched to Polymost as my personal renderer preference, so I won't necessarily optimize everything for 100% proper Polymer display any more, also since it's simply impossible to do with some level geometry.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 25 December 2019 - 11:06 AM

User is offline   ETPC 

Out of curiosity, how come EDuke32 is undergoing so much change?

• The Truth is in here

This question should be addressed to the coding team. However, don't think adding new features or fixing stuff only breaks things in EDuke32. GZDoom for example is a very similar story. While working on my statusbar mod and other GZD-related projects, I had several cases where something did not work just because a function broke during the port development cycle, especially around v4.0 when tons of changes were implemented. You basially need to playtest everything on a regular basis when you have a port that's continuously developed. A large community comes in handy for such purposes.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 25 December 2019 - 01:44 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Why isn't Pray you Prayers part of the addon compilation?

• The Truth is in here

Patience, my young Padawan learner.

• The Truth is in here

News update:
Looks like we might get another shot at a proper user maps menu integration in the hopefully-near future. I know I have written stuff like this before, but TerminX's recent EDuke32 code adjustments provided a bit of momentum. As soon as there is a satisfying solution, I am going to release the new version immediately.

User is offline   ETPC 

fantastic news!

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

NightFright, why does the original Grins of Divinity from 2002 work in Rednukem, but the version included in your pack doesn't?

• The Truth is in here

Define "work". And it can be that Rednukem is doing a few things differently. I changed some con code which may have broken RN support.

It's always possible that some of the startup warnings I tried to remove were supposed to stay and changing the code to eliminate those warnings broke something.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 12 February 2020 - 10:50 PM

I definitely remember the version of GOD TC included in the addon compilation was broken when I played it in 2018 for first time, at least levels 2 and 4 because it was impossible to progress normally. In level 2, a switch didn't show up to activate the elevator outside of dam, while in the original version of addon the switch shows up fine. Also in level 4 I couldn't unlock the gate to the exit. I can confirm that because a year ago I played through whole GOD TC in Duke3D v1.5 in DOSBox 0.74 and was able to finish it normally without cheating (although I had to save often in some cases because of those annoying little aliens that are difficult to hit and some other enemies that dealt a lot of damage and killed me).

Also I found the health system a bit annoying, it seems you can't pick up health items unless you are below a certain value, in case of small medkit you must have BELOW 90, while for large medkit, you must have BELOW 70. That sounds good on paper because you won't pick up health by accident when you don't need it but it also means you can't get your health back to 100 unless you use medkit or drink water or find atomic health (which I think functions normally) and if for example I have 71 health at end of level and want to pick up health I left earlier, I must hurt myself (e.g. by falling) and get the large medkit left earlier to have close to maximum. I didn't really enjoy this addon to be honest, it had some good ideas but in general it seems to have been plagued by some weird design choices. At least the level design is alright, some levels I enjoyed but the first one with timelimit of 5 minutes I absolutely hated it! I mean when the timelimit expires in that level, the whole screen turns white and there's nothing you can do at this point other than quitting game and reloading last save because if I remember correctly, even the menu is covered in white.

Oh yeah, I also hated that last level with the landmines! At first I didn't understand what happened and then after dying 3-5 times, I realized there are landmines. Not as bad as the timelimit level but it was annoying the first time playing through it. Good thing I'm saving often (and using 1 slot per each level, with a backup save for current level too) so dying isn't much of an issue for me.

This is my opinion about this addon, feel free to agree or disagree. The TC seemed ambitious for its time but I personally didn't like it that much. I prefer more the classic Duke3D type of addons rather than full TCs that change Duke3D into something else.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostNightFright, on 12 February 2020 - 10:40 PM, said:

Define "work". And it can be that Rednukem is doing a few things differently. I changed some con code which may have broken RN support.

Rednukem emulates DOS 1.5. So you essentially broke DOS 1.5 support.

View PostNightFright, on 12 February 2020 - 10:40 PM, said:

It's always possible that some of the startup warnings I tried to remove were supposed to stay and changing the code to eliminate those warnings broke something.

Since EDuke32 is an ever changing project, it isn't wise building the addon pack around EDuke32 compatibility. Literally, any change could break compatibility yet again.

Keep in mind that when NightFright started this RedNukem wasn't a thing. Also it's very likely at least some of the newer addons in the compilation always required EDuke32-specific functions.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I totally agree. But his patches are no longer needed now that Rednukem exists. He should absolutely revert all his code changes.

• The Truth is in here

In the form I am about to release the next version, ALL entries in the compilation will definitely and irrevertably only work with EDuke32, anyway. It's called "EDUKE32 Addon Compilation" for a reason. This project never had the purpose to be DOS compatible. You want to play with a port that emulates DOS, use the old groupfiles from that era.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 13 February 2020 - 05:29 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Just wondering, do your edits extend to modifying map files as well?

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostRadar 100 Watts, on 13 February 2020 - 04:46 AM, said:

Since EDuke32 is an ever changing project, it isn't wise building the addon pack around EDuke32 compatibility. Literally, any change could break compatibility yet again.
I still have hopes that there might come an EDuke32 build that can be used as some kind of reference version, even if the devs keep on refusing to make some real releases. "Thanks" to Ion Fury, the source code revision of the upcoming official fury.exe update could serve as such a point.

View PostRadar 100 Watts, on 13 February 2020 - 06:08 AM, said:

Just wondering, do your edits extend to modifying map files as well?
Yes. I've come across more than sixty so far.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 13 February 2020 - 06:14 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

At that point it sounds like you're taking creative licenses rather than fixing game breaking bugs.

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options