Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] EDuke32 Addon Compilation - Duke4.net Forums

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] EDuke32 Addon Compilation  "Version 3.13 released on December 6, 2016!"

It will be interesting to see if Raze inherits some form of GZDoom's scriptable map editing postprocessor; this is currently used to fix bugs in stock id Software maps like the missing yellow key on TNT MAP31 and critically in this context, major bugs in long-established mods. I guess it depends on how far GZ intends to ZDoomify Raze ;)

User is offline   ETPC 

monthly check in! any news?

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Well, obviously not. I dunno what the current priorities are in the EDuke32 coding team, so I can't tell what's the big blocker right now.

I am slowly considering a pre-release without any of the affected addons. It's not what I wanted since I think it should be the full thing or nothing, but it's now been four years I am sitting on this. To some degree it wasn't a bad thing since a few entries like FM3X got upgraded in the meantime, but it's really a bit too long even for my taste. Maybe a pre-release phase also would have the advantage of seeing how the code-heavy entries behave with latest EDuke32 snapshots since I couldn't do too much testing by myself so far.

User is offline   ETPC 

might not be the worst idea!

User is offline   pontifex91 

Hello, NightFright. I'm trying to run your Duke! Zone 2 fixed 2.0 it to Eduke32-oldMP, but it doesn’t work out for me. Moreover, on standard Eduke32 it works with DUKE3D.GRP only from Atomic Edition. It does not want to work with GRP from World Tour, although the file size is the same.
I thought to open dukezone2.grp and try to fix it, but the file does not open. I tried Grop File Studio and GViewer. Maybe you know the solution to the problem? Which editor did you use?

• The Truth is in here

Since Dukezone 2 isn't part of the compilation, this is off-topic. Anyway, just stating "it isn't working" gives me next to nothing to work with.

What I can deduct from your post: You are using a hopelessly outdated EDuke32 build (which I cannot support since I am not using it), so I am not surprised you run into issues. Guess the main problem is I am not using the edited art files any more and only provide the graphics that got changed, which is something a 7yo build may not support. It is also explicitly stated that this is meant for Duke3D Atomic, not World Tour. Duke3d.grp provided with WT is not identical with Atomic (even though the changes are minimal and shouldn't affect compatibility).

The file may have a .grp ending, but in fact it's a zipfile and can be opened with 7-Zip and other archiving programs. SLADE should also be able to open it. Knock yourself out if you want to get it working the way you want.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 31 May 2020 - 07:59 AM

User is offline   ETPC 

did you decide if you wanted to do a beta or not?

• The Truth is in here

Possibly later this year.

User is offline   bullbob 

so with the latest versions of eduke32, i'm getting some kind of CON compilation error when trying to play the Aliens vs Predator tc.

So far its the only thing that hasn't just worked straight up

seems to work just fine though with whatever ancient version of eduke32 that came bundled with the duke nukem forever tc mod you can find on moddb. but that version of eduke sucks and doesn't even allow for 1080p fullscreen

This post has been edited by bullbob: 15 June 2020 - 11:26 AM

• The Truth is in here

There won't be any further optimization of the old version any more, internally I am way past that. Main thing is that the upcoming release will work with recent snapshots, whenever that will be. If you want to make sure it works, use snapshots from 2016 (omg, it's been four years already?), even if that sucks. Maybe it will also still work with a 2018 snapshot, depending on when the con-breaking feature was implemented.

Fact is I can't guarantee for anything after that since EDuke32 is a port undergoing constant and significant changes. As soon as you stop adjusting your content, eventually something won't work any more - as inconvenient as this may be for mod developers.

It would still be interesting to know what kind of con compilation error it is since it may be something that shouldn't be happening.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 15 June 2020 - 01:15 PM

Heya!

It seems a couple CONs needed editing in alienvpredator.grp.

Line 224 in AVPPA.CON caused eduke32 r9130-bf0ff6cf0 to error out (undefined quote); adding a 'definequote 125' line to AVPUSER.CON seems to have fixed it.

It's defined in AVPGAME.CON but there may be include precidence.

User is offline   ETPC 

Any news?

• The Truth is in here

We are getting there. And if there were news, I'd not hesitate to post them. Bumping is neither helpful nor necessary.

Things are still unchanged, the usermap packs are the blocker. They work in general, but not as user-friendly as I want them to be. EDuke32 is currently also not in the stable, reliable and functional state I would need it to be. The idea is still to make all addons work with latest snapshots since I hate operating with outdated builds.

The code-heavy addons still need to be tested and I will probably release those first as test versions. Since a new edition of WGRealms 2 is also imminent, a full release wouldn't happen before that anyway since it would render the current edition immediately obsolete.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 09 September 2020 - 01:21 PM

Hello Frightnight,
in your dn3d addons archive a file fm3x_help.txt is read only and that could cause bugs during extracting (in special conditions).
I didn't see others files read only in your archive but perhaps they are others.
Could it be possible you avoid read only files in your archive?
Thank you for your help.

• The Truth is in here

Fernando did this originally, I wouldn't touch this kind of stuff. Anyway, I will check all my local files for such flags (it looks as if it's really just that one file). Please understand however that I am not going to make a new version just for this.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 25 September 2020 - 08:46 AM

I understand, but it's good you have this info.

Another thing, I surely missed something but are this addons compatible with duke3d.grp file from “Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour.” ?

This post has been edited by Le Gluon du Net: 02 October 2020 - 03:18 PM

User is online   Phredreeke 

there's no reason it shouldn't be but I think the supplied eduke32 build is too old to autodetect it

• The Truth is in here

I removed version detection for duke3d.grp. In theory it should work fine since the groupfile itself does not have any fundamental changes, structure is the same compared to Atomic.

I tried again with last Eduke32 version from git,

- with classic duke3d.grp, all addons shown:
https://imgur.com/2Rq8NPb

- with Steam 20th anniversary version (WT):
https://imgur.com/16KSbdv

Could you reproduce this issue?

I use a command line to launch Eduke32:
./eduke32 -usecwd -cfg config.cfg -j "dn3d/gog/" -j "dn3d/steam/" -j "dn3d/steam/classic/" -j "dn3d/steam/addons/dc/" -j "dn3d/steam/addons/nw/" -j "dn3d/steam/addons/vacation/" -j "dn3d/all/" -j "dn3d/addons/dc" -j "dn3d/addons/nw" -j "dn3d/addons/vacation" -j "dn3d/addons/frightnight/addons" -j "dn3d/addons/frightnight/dukezone2" -grp "hrp/"*

The same command line, two different result, two different duke3d.grp files.

This post has been edited by Le Gluon du Net: 03 October 2020 - 11:23 AM

• The Truth is in here

It only detects the standalone groupfiles, then. I dunno if EDuke32 has a dedicated checksum identifier for WT. If it does, I don't know its exact name.

Anyway, I don't use WT groupfile for anything, so I can't say I tested much with it. I realize it's becoming a problem now since it's the most recent version of the game and usually the one people buy these days if they never got in touch with it before. I will have to take this into account for future releases.

Still, technically all addons should work with WT. If they are not shown, it's something in addons.grpinfo. if you see the phrase "DUKE15_CRC" there a lot, that means all of those entries will only show in the list if you are using Atomic. Personally I'd like to show everything with Atomic and WT, but I dunno if I can define more than one dependency per addon. Maybe Hendricks can clearify that.

You can try editing addons.grpinfo by yourself and replace all instances of DUKE15_CRC with -1742012854 (or 0x8F127FFD, if I did the hex conversion correctly). Beware though that after that it won't work with Atomic any more.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 03 October 2020 - 12:51 PM

• The Truth is in here

Correction: World Tour groupfile dependency should be 0x982AFE4A.

I have attached a modified grpinfo file with WT dependencies. Rename it to addons.grpinfo and replace your exising file with it. If it works after that, it proves that EDuke32 does not handle the WT groupfile the same way it does Atomic duke3d.grp (since it works fine without dependencies in that case).

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by NightFright: 04 October 2020 - 04:59 AM

View PostNightFright, on 04 October 2020 - 03:28 AM, said:

Correction: World Tour groupfile dependency should be 0x982AFE4A.

I have attached a modified grpinfo file with WT dependencies. Rename it to addons.grpinfo and replace your exising file with it. If it works after that, it proves that EDuke32 does not handle the WT groupfile the same way it does Atomic duke3d.grp (since it works fine without dependencies in that case).

Tested and worked! Thank you very much.
Now I have to find a way for my Duke Nukem 3D + addons Lutris script installer works whatever the duke3d.grp version.

This post has been edited by Le Gluon du Net: 05 October 2020 - 07:35 AM

• The Truth is in here

Ok, then @ Hendricks:
Is there a reason why groupinfo definitions work with Atomic when omitting dependency parameters completely, but for WT they are necessary?

And: Is there a way to make entries compatible with Atomic and WT at the same time (e.g. by defining dependency 2x for one addon)?

This post has been edited by NightFright: 05 October 2020 - 08:10 AM

• The Truth is in here

I have decided to make a service release 3.14 to implement proper (or at least better) World Tour support. WT editions are becoming more and more important since it's the last official version of the game people can buy these days. (I have also fixed the FM3X help file with read-only attributes, but that's really minor.)

It basically just works with two batch files now, Atomic users launch addons.bat while World Tour users choose addons_wt.bat.

If you have version 3.13 already installed, you don't have to download the entire thing again since just very small files changed. Unzip the archive below into your EDuke32 dir and you are done.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by NightFright: 06 October 2020 - 04:48 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostNightFright, on 06 October 2020 - 03:45 AM, said:

WT editions are becoming more and more important since it's the last official version of the game people can buy these days.

You can always buy the Atomic Edition + Nuclear Winter, Caribbean, and DC expansions on Zoom for only $5.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 07 October 2020 - 01:20 PM

• The Truth is in here

Well, that's also an option, of course. Thing is some people complained this isn't working with the groupfile from World Tour, and actually I had assumed it would with the grpinfo I provided in v3.13. Apparently that was not the case, so dedicated grpinfo files for Atomic and WT should take care of everything.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 08 October 2020 - 01:04 AM

User is offline   vini1264 

I'm having crashes in wgrealms 2: siege breaker that is included in this addon compilation

User is online   Phredreeke 

Are you using the EDuke32 build included with the compilation or the latest one? Because it's possible something changed that broke the addon since.

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 08 October 2020 - 08:54 AM

User is offline   vini1264 

View PostPhredreeke, on 08 October 2020 - 08:53 AM, said:

Are you using the EDuke32 build included with the compilation or the latest one? Because it's possible something changed that broke the addon since.

The addon guide says that I have to use the latest revision of Eduke32, also the package doesn't include any Eduke32 executable, so I just extracted it in my Eduke32 folder.

• The Truth is in here

The addon guide is from 2016. I did not update that part of the readme, but after such a long period of time, you can be sure that code-heavy addons such as WGR2 won't work as intended any more if you are running them with recent EDuke32 snapshots. Luckily for you, a new version of WGR2 is in the making which should be more compatible again.

The entire compilation must go through a series of playtestings before a new release is possible, which is why a pre-release is actually not even just a good idea, but a requirement. EDuke32 is an evolving port which means things tend to break over the years. Often it's a painstaking process of backtracking to the origin of certain errors, and considering the large amount of addons and levels included here (yes, also maps can break)... constantly keeping track of everything is a nightmare.

However, I am also to blame for misunderstandings like this. The readme needs to mention a recommended EDuke32 snapshot to use. I would say something between r59xx and r60xx should work fairly well.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 08 October 2020 - 01:17 PM

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options