Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] EDuke32 Addon Compilation - Duke4.net Forums

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] EDuke32 Addon Compilation  "Version 3.13 released on December 6, 2016!"

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I had other kinds of random glitches outside of Oblivion and it's a similar thing. Loaded the first level of "Last Reaction", and right in the first area there was a yellow liztrooper that couldn't be killed. Closed the game, checked the sprite in Mapster32, couldn't find anything weird. Loaded the game again and the same trooper died as if nothing had happened.

Sometimes there are just these random one-time glitches you can't explain or reproduce, I guess...

This post has been edited by NightFright: 14 July 2018 - 04:37 AM

View PostNightFright, on 14 July 2018 - 04:36 AM, said:

I had other kinds of random glitches outside of Oblivion and it's a similar thing. Loaded the first level of "Last Reaction", and right in the first area there was a yellow liztrooper that couldn't be killed. Closed the game, checked the sprite in Mapster32, couldn't find anything weird. Loaded the game again and the same trooper died as if nothing had happened.

Sometimes there are just these random one-time glitches you can't explain or reproduce, I guess...

I understand, I experienced a similar glitch of unkillable (and harmless) trooper in Zaxtor's Trequonia but the problems I reported (apart maybe from the green sphere boss I haven't tested it enough and never reloaded) are persistent no matter what I do that's what worries me the most :(

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Liztroop has this immortalize glitch.
They kinda go in sleepmode, walk randomly and cannot be kill.
You can hurt them but not kill

View PostZaxtor, on 14 July 2018 - 07:45 AM, said:

Liztroop has this immortalize glitch.
They kinda go in sleepmode, walk randomly and cannot be kill.
You can hurt them but not kill

That's pretty much it indeed, though I only experienced it in Trequonia, I never saw it in Oblivion :/

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Is rare they do that tho.

• The Truth is in here

Status update:
Unfortunately still the same. I cannot proceed with the next step before Hendricks found a way for EDuke32 to go beyond the current episode limit. Good news is that I used the waiting time for some further fine-tuning of some addons. I won't be available between this Wednesday and August 13, so if anything develops in between, I won't be aware of it.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 23 July 2018 - 02:14 AM

User is offline   FistMarine 

Thanks for the update and enjoy the vacation!

As for the trooper glitch, I think I remember this bug happened to me once as well a couple of years ago (in 2013-2014 I think) when I was playing either Last Reaction & Water Bases or Chimera in EDuke32. I remember the exact same yellow trooper (the one that shoots freezethrower projectiles at you) became invincible and couldn't be killed but also couldn't attack me either. He just entered a glitched state and mostly wandered around and it happened in either the last level of Last Reaction or the last level of Chimera, all I remember was one of the city levels. Note that I was playing the original version of the addons, not the ones from the compilation pack as at that time the compilation wasn't released. It seems the bug happens with modified troopers.

This post has been edited by RunningDuke: 24 July 2018 - 06:36 AM

User is offline   Master O 

Rather than create a new thread, I'll ask here, since I'm playing it via this Addon compilation:

In the "Bad Weekend" map pack level "City of Fugitives", where is the exit in this level? None of the doors in the main city square open at all.

• The Truth is in here

Apparently a project similar to this one is now available over at the Doom community. 54 wads with over 1.000 levels, the goal being to fix broken stuff while preserving the original appearance and gameplay of the addons. The approach is not totally the same, though. Over there, you are basically able to access all addons from within one big addon that works like a hub of a sort, allowing you to play all maps continuously even without losing your weapons if you wish.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 24 August 2018 - 01:46 AM

I guess we should consider the 1994 Tune-up Community Project a precursor of this since it's the very first old time maps fix compilation.

View PostNightFright, on 24 August 2018 - 01:44 AM, said:

Apparently a project similar to this one is now available over at the Doom community. 54 wads with over 1.000 levels, the goal being to fix broken stuff while preserving the original appearance and gameplay of the addons. The approach is not totally the same, though. Over there, you are basically able to access all addons from within one big addon that works like a hub of a sort, allowing you to play all maps continuously even without losing your weapons if you wish.

I noticed this project a couple of weeks ago. I was very excited to play that compilation...until I got a bit disappointed with the fact that ALL the wads/levels are included in same pk3 file, meaning that you are missing each wad's unique title screen (well the title screens are seen in the hub map for each wad's portal), font, etc. So a part of each wad's charm is a bit lost if you play this compilation. I was hoping each wad would be separately loaded, like the EDuke32 Addon Compilation does. At least you got credited for idea! :(

@Fantinaikos: Yes, the 1994 Tune Up project is sort of a precursor to the compilation projects but it's more about enhancing/fixing 32 old levels and combining them into a megawad rather than a compilation of wads with fixes, etc.

BTW I don't mean to sound rude or start fights again but what's exactly the current status of the addon compilation? As far as I remember from past weeks/months, Hendricks just needed to add support for more than 7 episodes shown in the menu and NF play testing the addons making sure everything is alright, before the update gets released. That's why I'm asking.

It's not a problem if the addon compilation update doesn't come by the end of this summer as I have a lot of games and mods to play anyway. Hell, if you want, you can release this on December (either early to celebrate 2 years since the latest update or on 24th/25th to celebrate 4 years since the first version of the compilation) and I still won't mind. But I'm just asking right now.

This post has been edited by RunningDuke: 24 August 2018 - 05:42 AM

• The Truth is in here

If there was any progress, I would tell you. But there isn't any. We are exactly stuck where we were stuck months before. It's out of my hands and I won't enact more pressure on poor Hendricks than I have already done. He's got other things on his mind right now probably. Eventually he'll get to it.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 24 August 2018 - 01:57 PM

User is offline   Slimek 

Hi! Is it possible to run The Gate with those addons and Duke Plus?

• The Truth is in here

I cannot provide mod support for this compilation, as stated in the readme. It may be possible in theory if you add the def/con files from the addon to DukePlus (or vice versa), but what would happen after that I have no idea...

This post has been edited by NightFright: 04 September 2018 - 06:22 AM

I made a compatibility list time ago, and I described the way they can be executed with the mods. Though I don't know if the method still valid, any change to Eduke32 can mess up many simple things. The list itself should be updated.

https://forums.duke4...ndpost&p=236311

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 04 September 2018 - 07:04 AM

• The Truth is in here

Short update:

I received word from Hendricks yesterday. The EDuke32 code update is still WIP, but the general idea is to make custom map maps (such as the "Urban Map Pack" or "Space Map Pack") selectable via User Maps, filtering out the official Duke3D maps. A fair compromise in my opinion - nobody could have expected to get an episode list with 80+ entries and browse through all that. The idea is also to do some optimization regarding how grpinfo recognizes files and how files can be structured without zipfiles internally.

Bottom line:
Unfortunately nothing to do from my side (yet), but the concept for future EDuke32 support of the compilation is appealing. General situation hasn't changed: I need to wait for a new EDuke32 snapshot to be made and released, then I optimize my files for it, then I release. Later on, EDuke32 will eventually drop support for any older compilation versions.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 25 September 2018 - 08:01 AM

• The Truth is in here

I am back, but no need for excitement: Still no release in sight.

MasterO has informed me about a problem with the map "Bitva" of the "Cerovsky Pack", claiming that the button for the Battlelord fight doesn't work (any more).

Maybe someone could confirm this and provide screenshots of the location? I am sure it's something that broke in more recent EDuke32 snapshots since I am sure it worked when I tested it a few years ago. If it's snapshot-related, the goal should be to fix it in the port rather than changing the map.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 20 July 2019 - 06:40 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostNightFright, on 20 July 2019 - 06:37 AM, said:

I am back, but no need for excitement: Still no release in sight.

MasterO has informed me about a problem with the map "Bitva" of the "Cerovsky Pack", claiming that the button for the Battlelord fight doesn't work (any more).

Maybe someone could confirm this and provide screenshots of the location? I am sure it's something that broke in more recent EDuke32 snapshots since I am sure it worked when I tested it a few years ago. If it's snapshot-related, the goal should be to fix it in the port rather than changing the map.

I tried the map (the single release, not the one in your pak) using r7814 & the Battlelord spawned like it was supposed to.

I would like to test this but unfortunately I don't have Addon Compilation 3.13 installed on my computer anymore and I will not download the outdated version again just to test one map from an addon. Maybe you can upload the Cerovsky pack addon here directly (or just the map) and then I will test. According to Forge, the standalone map works fine, so I'm going to assume it's a problem with the map included in the compilation.

This post has been edited by RunningDuke: 22 July 2019 - 10:28 AM

• The Truth is in here

The thing is I didn't even touch this map, so there's no way it doesn't work in the compilation edition if it does otherwise.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostNightFright, on 22 July 2019 - 11:55 PM, said:

The thing is I didn't even touch this map, so there's no way it doesn't work in the compilation edition if it does otherwise.

Unless it was an issue with that specific version of eDuke32?

• The Truth is in here

I dunno what Master O did, which EDuke32 snapshot he used or which other mods he ran. I can't test the map by myself until next week, but I am sure I'll find no problem.

In other news, I hope (!) to finally make a step in getting the next compilation release out of the door. Ideally there will be a beta testing stage before this time since considerable changes have been applied to all addons (regarding their structure mostly) and I want to make sure I didn't miss anything.

However, the map collections are still the big blocker since no progress has been made regarding user map selection optimization in EDuke32. I might have to dismiss the map packs from the beta if the coding team isn't available for working out a solution in the near future. However, it seems recent snapshots have added at least some degree of customization regarding user maps accessibility (7801, 7802, 7804), so there's hope.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 23 July 2019 - 05:36 AM

• The Truth is in here

Excellent news:
Hendricks finally got around to adding user maps support the way I needed it to continue my work! The conversion of all affected packs is already done and confirmed working. There may be another 1-2 optional features I would like to have in EDuke32, so let's see.

Since everybody will be all over Ion Fury these days, this will give me more than enough time to test all addons once again for possible glitches with new EDuke32 snapshots (r8016 or newer, which will be the minimum requirement for the new compilation version as of now). Of course I won't be able to test everything, but at least some loading tests should be done.

One way or the other, a release this year, probably already this fall, has become highly likely now.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 15 August 2019 - 01:12 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Thanks NightFright. Your addon pack is very convenient. I have it on my computer at all times. It's nice to be able to load up old mods with a touch of a button, especially since a select few mods are very dated by now and I practically lose interest by the time I've downloaded it and have it installed.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Out of curiosity, will the option to disable some addons from being installed be a feature in the next edition (or was that already in it?)

I just don't want redundant installations. I already have a good chunk of these.

View PostNinety-Six, on 15 August 2019 - 06:20 PM, said:

Out of curiosity, will the option to disable some addons from being installed be a feature in the next edition (or was that already in it?)

I just don't want redundant installations. I already have a good chunk of these.

You can delete the group files of the corresponding mods you don't want. It won't save any installation time but you'll still have a shorter list in the end. Personally that's what I did.

Though I kept the full deal separately because it's a golden mine of MIDI files ^^

This post has been edited by TheDragonLiner: 15 August 2019 - 10:34 PM

• The Truth is in here

Is there any good and easy-to-use freeware installer you guys can recommend?

I guess it should at least support Win 7-10 (dunno if XP still needs to be considered, but if it works, I don't mind), allow installation choices and delete existing installations (basically delete the "addons" folder).

Installer choices should probably be:
- Full
- Recommended (this will be subjective)
- Custom (pick what you want)

Besides that you will still be able to download the zip for manual installation since it's not exactly rocket science.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 16 August 2019 - 10:53 PM

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Unless the installer doubles as a downloader I’m not sure I see much of a point as you’d have to download everything regardless.

• The Truth is in here

Good point. I guess the whole thing should tap into an online repository and get the files from there. If there's a program that can pull it off, I'd prefer that over an offline installer.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Sorry if this has already been addressed in this thread before, but are there any plans to include Duke Nukem 64 and Total Meltdown in this compilation?

This post has been edited by Radar: 08 September 2019 - 06:00 PM

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options