Duke4.net Forums: Mapping questions thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mapping questions thread

User is offline   Mark 

could you post a closeup pic of that area in the 2d mode of Mapster?

Make sure the walls of the rotating sectors do not overlap any other walls when they move.

This post has been edited by Mark: 22 September 2018 - 01:56 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

looks like the 'door' is pivoting across sector lines, or was still attached to the nearby walls

it has to be made 'free-standing'

and the 'R' really only makes a visual effect if the 'door' doesn't go all the way to the ceiling

example (i just made real quick):
Attached File  PIVOTDOOR.zip (646bytes)
Number of downloads: 353

(neither door goes all the way to the ceiling on purpose - to show the difference between relative & not-relative - stand back & shoot the door-button and watch the celing texture above the door as it pivots)

This post has been edited by Forge: 22 September 2018 - 01:59 PM

View PostMark, on 22 September 2018 - 01:53 PM, said:

could you post a closeup pic of that area in the 2d mode of Mapster?

Make sure the walls of the rotating sectors do not overlap any other walls when they move.

Well that explains it. Too bad. I'm gonna have to ditch the rotating door then, since the areas between the door have different ceiling heights and I want the door to look nice.

This post has been edited by December Man: 22 September 2018 - 05:12 PM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostDecember Man, on 22 September 2018 - 05:12 PM, said:

Well that explains it. Too bad. I'm gonna have to ditch the rotating door then, since the areas between the door have different ceiling heights and I want the door to look nice.

probably not going to work for you then unless you're invested in making the wall in the taller room above the 'door', & the lower room ceiling over the 'door' sector & rotation area a false ceiling made of sprites

This post has been edited by Forge: 22 September 2018 - 08:55 PM

Another few questions:
Is there a way to have dynamic music i.e. music that changes depending on the room the player is in? I guess that would take some severe CON coding.
Also, the same thing but with messages displaying the name of the room the player has entered?

User is offline   Forge 

View PostDecember Man, on 29 September 2018 - 12:33 PM, said:

Another few questions:
Is there a way to have dynamic music i.e. music that changes depending on the room the player is in? I guess that would take some severe CON coding.
Also, the same thing but with messages displaying the name of the room the player has entered?

those are questions for here:
https://forums.duke4...ke32-scripting/

View PostForge, on 30 September 2018 - 07:02 AM, said:

those are questions for here:
https://forums.duke4...ke32-scripting/

Will do. Thanks.

User is offline   blizzart 

Hi guys,
is there a more intuitive way to select multiple sectors. I ran into a problem in a map, where I have to selsct dozens of tiny sectors to create a TROR bunch above it.

Attached Image: capt0061.jpg

I know there is a key combination for it, but this always ends up in a failure (deselting by mistake). It would be great if there would by an easier way (for example pressing AltGr an selecting the sectors by left click into them).

User is offline   Paul B 

View Postblizzart, on 27 November 2018 - 12:31 PM, said:

Hi guys,
is there a more intuitive way to select multiple sectors. I ran into a problem in a map, where I have to selsct dozens of tiny sectors to create a TROR bunch above it.

Attachment capt0061.jpg

I know there is a key combination for it, but this always ends up in a failure (deselting by mistake). It would be great if there would by an easier way (for example pressing AltGr an selecting the sectors by left click into them).

I don't think there is an alternate way at least not that I have tried. I find when I needed to select multiple sectors or layers to extend when working with TROR the F3 view (isometric view) worked best for that type of thing, in combination with greying out the upper and lower sectors that weren't of use (setting the Z-axis focus)

This post has been edited by Paul B: 27 November 2018 - 01:12 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostKKAP123, on 27 November 2018 - 03:16 PM, said:

Is there a way to turn off the hit scan for vent sprites? It seems to be forced on.

No, you can't change those properties of the vent sprite. It's hard-coded which means the game forces those properties. Depending on what you want to do, you could put a blocking, hittable invisible sprite in front of the vent, of course it would still be affected by explosions.

View Postblizzart, on 27 November 2018 - 12:31 PM, said:

Hi guys,

Attachment capt0061.jpg

There are numerous modifiers to make selecting sectors easier. IMO the fastest way to select those small sectors would be to select all of them the normal way, then deselect the ones you don't want. Or you can indeed choose individual sectors in a cumulative fashion if you wanted. https://wiki.eduke32...rs.29_modifiers

If the modifiers in that link are what you were referring to, then no I don't think there is an alternative. Being able to select sectors by clicking on them while holding down 'alt' does sound like something that could be useful, and it could probably be added quite easily without messing up other key combinations if the devs felt like doing it.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 27 November 2018 - 04:16 PM

Have read about 8 pages of this thread and couldn't find a answer on my questions, so i thought i just ask, (sorry if it could be found in all the other ones).
Also checked many other sites but without luck.
So here i go;

- Is there a way to rotate a texture? I know i can mirror it but couldn't find rotating.
- How to disable animation of a sprite?
(I want to place a weapon but without it turning around its axis in the game.)
- I noticed that when i place a vent that is shooteble that it has only one side, when i crawl through it and look back and suddenly don't see the broken version anymore of the vent sprite.
(can't imagine i need to place 2 of those sprites in both directions).
- Is there a way to know the default size of a texture?
(see " repeat" in left corner of screen when texture is selected and that that can be changed. But i sometimes would like to know what " repeat" size is best looking on texture.)

thanks in advance, will probably come back for more though. Have picked Eduke/mapster mapping up again after 18 years or so, lol. Indeed, am mapping with Ion Fury. :(
Leon

This post has been edited by sp-leveldesigner: 27 August 2019 - 11:54 PM

User is offline   blizzart 

- Is there a way to rotate a texture? I know i can mirror it but couldn't find rotating.
I don´t know if it is already implemented in EDuke32, but there was a post in another thread some months ago, that it will be allowed to rotate wall textures.

I don´t know if I understood your question. You want sprites to stop themselves rotating ang looking towards the player? In that case press "R" on the sprite to make it wall aligned.

- I noticed that when i place a vent that is shooteble that it has only one side, when i crawl through it and look back and suddenly don't see the broken version anymore of the vent sprite.
(can't imagine i need to place 2 of those sprites in both directions).
Pressin "1" on the side might help

- Is there a way to know the default size of a texture?
(see " repeat" in left corner of screen when texture is selected and that that can be changed. But i sometimes would like to know what " repeat" size is best looking on texture.)
On the tile selection screen you should see the size of a texture/sprite in the bottom right.

This post has been edited by blizzart: 28 August 2019 - 02:51 AM

Thanks for your answer and sorry for my late reply but i had to go to work.
Will check your answers when i map on this weekend.
About a sprite not turning around i mean for instance the pistol. When placed it turns around its axis when
looked at in a map. In Fury i have seen that some weapons don't turn around but are just pointing in
one direction, how is this done?

greetings,

Leon

This post has been edited by sp-leveldesigner: 29 August 2019 - 02:39 PM

User is offline   Forge 

View Postsp-leveldesigner, on 29 August 2019 - 02:32 PM, said:

About a sprite not turning around i mean for instance the pistol. When placed it turns around its axis when
looked at in a map. In Fury i have seen that some weapons don't turn around but are just pointing in
one direction, how is this done?

View Postblizzart, on 28 August 2019 - 02:49 AM, said:

I don´t know if I understood your question. You want sprites to stop themselves rotating ang looking towards the player? In that case press "R" on the sprite to make it wall aligned.

You're going to get different results between sprites and voxels (or multi-sprite based objects).

User is offline   F!re-Fly 

Hello ! I even learned to use the TROR, and it's really great. By cons, there are some functions that I do not understand and do not control.

1. I created a sewer with three possible outlet. The first works very well (thanks to the wiki and tutorials). Only I can not reach the other two exits.
2. How to create a floating platform ?

User is offline   Forge 

View PostFirefly Trooper, on 06 September 2019 - 04:35 AM, said:

2. How to create a floating platform ?

https://wiki.eduke32...Sector_Punching

Thank you. It's just keyboard commands that escape me.

User is online   ck3D 

Any idea of what might cause a "Could not find any locators for SE# 6 and 14 with a hitag of x" error upon launching a map (with a subway in it) even though everything looks correctly built and tagged? Could the size of the track sector, locator amount or positioning, the track sector going through ROR (not TROR) or any obscure variable be at fault there? I've been checking for hours and I don't think there is any stupid little construction mistake on my end I would have overlooked, I've also tried reverse-engineering many things about the whole set-up (simplifying the trains, trying alternative hitags etc.), even comparing it to other functional ones I've built before but no, this one still crashes the map. I'm out of ideas when it comes to why.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 27 November 2019 - 10:53 PM

I'm guessing you've checked the sectnum of them, especially the ones that are around the ror areas?

Fastest way would probably be to select the track sector (RCtrl RAlt) and move it, if any of the locators don't move with the sector then those are going to be the culprit, then you can undo or reload the map and F8 those sprites to enter the correct sectnum (may need expertmode).

Otherwise if you pasted a texture onto the floor of your train, the sector tags may have been messed up if you did this after setting them, copying a floor texture with tab carries over tags, this one tripped me up a few times with things.

It probably isn't any of these things, but I figured I'd suggest them anyway. These are the sort of simple things that I would overlook and then spend hours trying to fix other things that weren't broken to begin with.

User is online   ck3D 

View PostHigh Treason, on 27 November 2019 - 10:57 PM, said:

I'm guessing you've checked the sectnum of them, especially the ones that are around the ror areas?

Fastest way would probably be to select the track sector (RCtrl RAlt) and move it, if any of the locators don't move with the sector then those are going to be the culprit, then you can undo or reload the map and F8 those sprites to enter the correct sectnum (may need expertmode).

Otherwise if you pasted a texture onto the floor of your train, the sector tags may have been messed up if you did this after setting them, copying a floor texture with tab carries over tags, this one tripped me up a few times with things.

It probably isn't any of these things, but I figured I'd suggest them anyway. These are the sort of simple things that I would overlook and then spend hours trying to fix other things that weren't broken to begin with.

OK, I think you're onto something with the sectnum thing, the locators are all in the right place but I think the SE6 might not be; just checked and it's saying it's inside a sector it shouldn't be, which led me to investigate a bit more and I basically realized there was something weird about the construction of my train, under the engine sector lies what looks like untagged remnants of shell sectors for copy pasting that shouldn't be there (should have been long gone; I can't even remember making them), somehow the SE6 got affected to that region I didn't even realize existed (although it's still visible in 3D mode) and I'm pretty sure that's what is interfering. 'Funny' thing is the walls I pull when dragging the vertices around look like another layer of red walls, not white, which is even more bogus for shell sectors but yeah, looks like there's some mess there, I'll get to touch the map again in a few hours, should be easy to fix now that you've pointed me in the right direction, thanks a lot for the quick reply.

Re: the tab key carrying tags thing I'm aware of and is something I actually exploit quite a lot whilst working in overlapping sectors, e.g. to tag doors, elevators... quicker with no risk of 2D mode interference. Lately I've found myself just sketching triangular sectors outside the gameplay area to then paste the desired floor texture with the right alignment to the grid there, tag it in 2D mode, tab it in 3D mode, remove the tags in 2D mode, delete the sector, paste the info wherever intended in the first place in 3D mode. If you're smarter than I am, you never delete the helping sector till you're done with the map and just reuse it.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 27 November 2019 - 11:42 PM

User is online   ck3D 

Managed to fix it after some tinkering around with the engine sector, it was a really weird glitch I had never experienced before. Toying around with the vertices and lines, I realized it wasn't just one shell sector that was problematic; there were at least four instances of the engine sectors stuck atop of one another, which is super odd. What especially caught my attention: I felt like the engine was occasionally cloning new lines, every time I'd move an overlapping vertice far away from the one I had found it stacked atop of, and then try again pulling from that original spot it would either draw a completely new triangle from the already apparent lines, doubling the existence of layers, or - even weirder - if I'd move the vertice too close from the one it was originally overlapping, and then try to pull from that first one again, the two recently 'generated' layers would instantly fuse together again like they never happened - as soon as I'd select the vertice, even with grid lock off - as though the editor was correcting calculations. Between saves, some of the red walls would randomly turn white or turn back red in 2D mode, whereas 3D mode would still look fine from the perspective of the intended sectnum unless one time where I did some heavier lifting, played around with non-adjacent sectors too much and randomly managed to come up with some see-through floor type of deal on the engine wagon before Mapster just crashed.

Eventually I managed to resolve this by joining a bunch of the non-adjacent sectors in a certain order to get rid of everything related to the engine sector, made the second wagon (which didn't seem to have any weird problem) the engine as a test and it's running perfectly now, I just need to recreate the originally intended engine sector, basically.

What trips me out is that the engine sector I'm pretty sure I never copy-pasted in and actually built from scratch; I actually remember then copy-pasting that sector a few times as the basis for the next wagons. The copy-pasted wagons that I did make shell outlines for work perfectly, whereas it's the original sector that had spontaneously cloned itself (for the lack of a better technical perspective; probably not what happened) and decided to go nuts. There's no way I would have pressed Insert that repeatedly by accident over the original sector even if I did try to copy paste it and just don't remember it.

I wonder if that odd behavior had anything to do with the way I built the track sector, going off the stations with the train already built there, and only then linking them together with sectors I then joined together. I know the engine never really liked that type of 'inside out' pattern of mapping and was expecting something weird might happen at some point, but really didn't see that coming.

I can keep working towards finishing that map now, thanks again for the sectnum hint.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 28 November 2019 - 08:32 AM

How do you copy sectors? Also how do you rotate selected sectors?

Trying to copy a bunch of cars I made.

User is online   ck3D 

View PostOttopartz460, on 08 April 2020 - 02:14 AM, said:

How do you copy sectors? Also how do you rotate selected sectors?

Trying to copy a bunch of cars I made.

https://infosuite.du...=basics_sectors and scroll down to 'Moving, Copying and Deleting [Sectors]'.

Pro tip - if your original cars weren't built into slightly bigger, simple sectors containing them, and if you try to copy just the sectors of the car itself into a shell sector then you'll have to retexture it completely as the attributes of the outside walls won't be copied. If you're going to have to do this anyway, I'd suggest building a container sector first for your first car copy, retexture the car there and then you can copy that container with the fixed car into elementary shell sectors much more conveniently, all the while preserving the copy's attributes. Essentially, to save yourself time, it's better to copy the sector around your car (then eventually get rid off of that one in the copy if desired) than just the car's structure. I'd also suggest making the floor textures on the car relative before copying it so that their aligment isn't affected by the new position of the copies on the grid.

Also, you can rotate selected sectors like you'd rotate sprites around in 2D mode, or flip them on the X/Y axis with the (you guessed it) X/Y keys.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 08 April 2020 - 02:38 AM

View Postck3D, on 08 April 2020 - 02:22 AM, said:

https://infosuite.du...=basics_sectors and scroll down to 'Moving, Copying and Deleting [Sectors]'.

Pro tip - if your original cars weren't built into slightly bigger, simple sectors containing them, and if you try to copy just the sectors of the car itself into a shell sector then you'll have to retexture it completely as the attributes of the outside walls won't be copied. If you're going to have to do this anyway, I'd suggest building a container sector first for your first car copy, retexture the car there and then you can copy that container with the fixed car into elementary shell sectors much more conveniently, all the while preserving the copy's attributes. Essentially, to save yourself time, it's better to copy the sector around your car (then eventually get rid off of that one in the copy if desired) than just the car's structure. I'd also suggest making the floor textures on the car relative before copying it so that their aligment isn't affected by the new position of the copies on the grid.

Also, you can rotate selected sectors like you'd rotate sprites around in 2D mode, or flip them on the X/Y axis with the (you guessed it) X/Y keys.

Thanks. I was able to delete a bunch of messed up sectors and I was able to copy the cars. I will try the shell thing. I only had to retexture the front and rear panel and sides, but the windows are a pain in the ass to line up. The lower body of the car is one sector and the greenhouse of the car (windows and roof) are nested in the main sector and divided into three. One sector for the windshield, one for the roof section and one for the back window. It was easy with just copying the texture from the first car for the lower parts.

Are there still people here who are good at making maps and new episodes? Being caught in my code, I'm looking for someone who has cool ideas for my mod. I can provide all the textures and script files to help.

Thank you in advance!

This post has been edited by F!re-Fly: 09 April 2020 - 04:29 PM

User is online   ck3D 

^ People still make maps yes, cue the What Are You Working On For Duke thread, I think you should post more about what you're looking for and what your ideas are for your mod in the mapping department exactly are, to garner more interest. People know you've been working on coding a lot of actors but if you have a vision of how you'd like to see those implemented to the point where you would like contributors to help, maybe you should detail the basic pitch a little better so they have an idea of where you're trying to go.

Or honestly (I know not everybody has the time, but), you could get into mapping yourself at some point, as a break from coding. It willl feel intimidating and foreign to learn at first like every new activity, but it's not hard and it's essentially coding an environment with the help of a visual interface so if you have a background in coding, you might already dominate the typical learning curve, who knows. I'm actually the opposite here, been mapping forever but only ever done minimal .con coding, I plan on learning it for whatever purpose I might need it for eventually though.

View PostOttopartz460, on 08 April 2020 - 11:45 PM, said:

Thanks. I was able to delete a bunch of messed up sectors and I was able to copy the cars. I will try the shell thing. I only had to retexture the front and rear panel and sides, but the windows are a pain in the ass to line up. The lower body of the car is one sector and the greenhouse of the car (windows and roof) are nested in the main sector and divided into three. One sector for the windshield, one for the roof section and one for the back window. It was easy with just copying the texture from the first car for the lower parts.

The shell thing is just the way copy-pasting sectors functions, fundamentally in order for the engine to make every wall of the copied structure double-sided, you need a container of white walls with the exact same outline as the sector you're copying (in some situations you might not have to create it and Mapster will ask you if you want to create an 'inner loop' when you try to just paste your sectors inside any valid player space, saying 'yes' results in the engine basically insta-drawing the outline for yourself before pasting, but for some reason I still prefer doing things manually). Otherwise, where you've placed vertices on the container/shell sector decides on which walls turn red and which ones don't. Just the other day I was thinking there might be some interesting Build engine abuse to make there by combining this 'trick' with SOS/ROR, but that's probably been done before and I just never spotted it.

Lining up the windows what was I meant by saying you should make the floor textures relative (R key whilst pointing at the texture in 3D mode), it will most likely mess up the alignment of the original at first but then once you've fixed it once it will remain the same with every new car copy instead of relying on said new copy's position on the grid. If you're going to copy the same car a lot, that will save you some time, you're better off retexturing a structure once then be good than not doing it in the first place only to then have to fix every individual copy.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 10 April 2020 - 01:25 AM

User is offline   Dukebot 

Hello everyone, I have a problem with one sprite in my map, it dissapears when I approach to it. If I go back a few steps the sprite appears again. Also this is a platform sprite, so player can walk on it, but when the sprite dissapears, the player don't collide with it and falls. See images for details:

This is how it looks when it's OK:

Posted Image

And this is how it looks when it don't work as expected:

Posted Image

Does anyone know if it's possible to slove this problem?

The sprite probably thinks it belongs to another sector, you can probably just drag it a bit and let go so the sectnum fixes itself, fix it manually with F8, or delete it and place a new one, probably faster to just copy one of the ones next to it in that case.

Some of us actually use this 'feature' on purpose to do interesting things.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 10 April 2020 - 08:07 AM

User is offline   Dukebot 

View PostHigh Treason, on 10 April 2020 - 08:06 AM, said:

The sprite probably thinks it belongs to another sector, you can probably just drag it a bit and let go so the sectnum fixes itself, fix it manually with F8, or delete it and place a new one, probably faster to just copy one of the ones next to it in that case.

Some of us actually use this 'feature' on purpose to do interesting things.

Thanks for your answer, I tried what you said and it works fine now, thanks a lot.

I also have this problem when looking sprites on a distance. I have lots of sprites in my map, in a open area, so when I am looking far away, depending on the angle I am looking, lot of the sprites in the horizon disappear and appear. I don't know if I can do the same solution as before, because on this case, the sprites are spread in a lot of sectors and there are a lot of them.

Marked on the following image there is an example of the sprites that give troble in a certain area of the map.

Posted Image

User is offline   Mark 

Draw distance is a known issue but I don't remember which renderer.

Share this topic:

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options