• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mapping questions thread

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View Postjimbob, on 26 January 2024 - 01:48 PM, said:

would there be a way, a easy way to spawn enemies after a delay? i think the two way train method could work, but i need to spawn 5 small waves and making 5 trains is just too much really.

There was an easy way involving using the delay bit in a gate sector with an activator triggering the respawn

https://infosuite.du...ae_doors_nomap1

I don't exactly remember the details or who came with the idea sorry. I remember using it in my map, you can check the effect there. It's some big triangles outside the playable zone, you'll figure it out, is really easy to set up.

https://dnr.duke4.ne...shade_Army.html

Sometimes (or maybe just this time) splitting a giant sector makes things worse.
Doing it on the map I'm working on introduced more visual glitches in sectors that were fine before and fixed none. But merging them back together after the split fixed both the new glitches and the first set.

That sector is the big one wrapping around one end of the ship here like a square 'A' inside the perimeter of giant trapezoids. With no changes to the walls or vertices and merely splitting this sector into 3 it caused the center area of the ship to become visually unstable ingame. Merging those 3 sectors back into 1 resolved all the visual errors ingame even though they were still visible in mapster until closing it. [Joining, not Undo]

It may just be a consequence of that huge sector in turn being surrounded by huge sectors with blue walls though.

User is offline   Aleks 

View Postjimbob, on 26 January 2024 - 01:48 PM, said:

would there be a way, a easy way to spawn enemies after a delay? i think the two way train method could work, but i need to spawn 5 small waves and making 5 trains is just too much really.

Use targets/shooters - the touchplate/switch whatever you want to trigger the wave activated a delayed masterswitch in an "out of bounds" sector which after the delay activates a shooter shooting a shrinker projectile at a target, which activates the respawns. You can check the out of bounds stuff in the bottom left corner of Simpler Times, requires just 3 walls really since you can virtually set the sectnum of masterswitches and shooters in any other sector (providing it has a low enough floor/high enough ceiling) and have it work in the "dummy" sector.

Another visual glitch I ran into related to huge sectors is the walls splitting groups of smaller sloping sectors within appear to flicker into view even though they are not actually visible.
A wall being just barely visible because of a sloping sector is easy to hide by applying a corresponding texture & shade to where it is showing up, but with seam brought on by the presence of the huge sector it is not the wall splitting the smaller sectors that is being seen. It is the wall(s) of the huge sector. Shading & texturing that huge sector's walls resolves the problem.

User is offline   ck3D 

View Postlllllllllllllll, on 27 January 2024 - 12:13 PM, said:

Sometimes (or maybe just this time) splitting a giant sector makes things worse.
Doing it on the map I'm working on introduced more visual glitches in sectors that were fine before and fixed none. But merging them back together after the split fixed both the new glitches and the first set.

That sector is the big one wrapping around one end of the ship here like a square 'A' inside the perimeter of giant trapezoids. With no changes to the walls or vertices and merely splitting this sector into 3 it caused the center area of the ship to become visually unstable ingame. Merging those 3 sectors back into 1 resolved all the visual errors ingame even though they were still visible in mapster until closing it. [Joining, not Undo]

It may just be a consequence of that huge sector in turn being surrounded by huge sectors with blue walls though.

That is true, I forgot to mention as it's happened to me a lot less but I've also fixed issues by deleting sector splits before, map boundaries in particular seem a lot less prone to glitching out when it's just one giant sector containing the whole of the map (surprised me too at first, but I guess that's because then the player technically can't view the bulk from outside in). I still insert my 'preemptive' vertices all along so while the sector itself ends up gigantic, every single of its walls technically is relatively short.

The bug from your example is something I run into a lot, at this point it's basically trial and error, sometimes the engine prefers broken up sectors, sometimes it prefers the same structure(s) wrapped up in a whole block, seems dependent on the construction itself but that also means the quirks of the level and what's possible to go wrong in possible views and angles. Usually in such cases feels like it's the ability of the engine to render around a structure all the while encountering splits vs. not that struggles and when one scenario doesn't work then the other one will. In general I feel like Build needs clean breathing space whenever it's supposed to show the back of/around/behind encapsulated blocks of maps, usually those are the zones to rework, but sometimes is a wrong portal that's inside.

Then there also is the different problem that isn't just visual (but of course also is) of the engine suddenly failing to detect certain loops after manipulating/creating sectors or loops and so then depending on angle it will either show the sector bulk correctly as belonging to its parent, or not at all as if it always had been dissociated independent space that isn't meant to appear there, so practically flickers in and out (feels like the embryo stage of the 'inverted sectors' bug). In most of those situations, connecting the spaces again with new red lines will recreate/check/force the proper loops, and then those new splits usually are free to go again once the order has been reestablished and the map saved.

Slope behavior info could be extremely useful to know, thanks for pointing that out. I don't know if I ever would have even considered something like that by myself whilst debugging but makes sense now that you say it.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 02 February 2024 - 06:43 PM

User is offline   Šneček 

I was wondering if any of you have a new type of laptop and it is missing the scroll lock key, how does it handle setting the start position in mapster or build? Has anyone encountered such a problem?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostŠneček, on 04 February 2024 - 07:12 AM, said:

I was wondering if any of you have a new type of laptop and it is missing the scroll lock key, how does it handle setting the start position in mapster or build? Has anyone encountered such a problem?

go to the bottom of the mapster32.cfg file and remap the key

User is offline   zazo 

Hello everyone,

My question concerns an ergonomic problem under mapster 32: in particular when working on wide open areas with high definition textures, there is a lot of lag and slowdown in the navigation in the 3d view, as well as a long switching time from the 2d view to the 3d view ("enter" key): it seems that mapster32 is struggling to recalculate or recache textures ?...
Is it possible to configure mapster32 to reduce all these lag / delay ?
Thank you a lot !

User is offline   Mark 

I ran across this problem years ago. It was caused by me naming the folder of my hi res content "textures" ( without the quotes )
This confused mapster and so it didn't produce a textures cache file to speed up loading times.

User is offline   zazo 

View PostMark, on 23 April 2024 - 08:30 AM, said:

I ran across this problem years ago. It was caused by me naming the folder of my hi res content "textures" ( without the quotes )
This confused mapster and so it didn't produce a textures cache file to speed up loading times.

Hmmm, it seems my mapster don't create a textures cache...
My eduke3d create such a file when loading map, but when i erase the cahce file, and then use mapster and close it, i don't see any renewed textures cache file...
how could i enable the cache for mapster to speed up the thing ?
(Also, i tried to rename the "textures" folder, but the problem remains...)

User is offline   Mark 

I'm not real smart about this stuff but check in the mapster.cfg file if there is a line for texture cache= ?

Share this topic:

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options