• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mapping questions thread

User is offline   blizzart 

View PostDaedolon, on 10 April 2016 - 03:49 PM, said:

Hold left SHIFT and start dragging from any sprite with your right mouse button held down. LBM does scaling.

Thanks Daedolon, that worked!

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Note that the grid size affects how accurate the rotation is, basically it snaps to the nearest grid intersection.

User is offline   Rhaisher 

Could somebody explain me why if a 'speed' sprite used on a swinging door surpasses 64 as its lo-tag the door closes further from its starting postion (causing glitches of all sorts)? :angry:
I'd like to match the door open/close sound with the speed, but it seems that this isn't doable. :lol:

Edit: Nevermind, it looks that I have to use values which are powers of 2.

This post has been edited by Rhaisher: 27 April 2016 - 07:09 AM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

The distance needs to be divisible with the power of 2, yeah. It also affect elevators, where you have to get the lowest Z floor height and highest Z floor height and make sure the subtraction results in a number that's properly divisible with the GPSPEED value, otherwise it'll miss the target.

User is offline   David B. 

Hi everybody,

I have got a weird problem... : a nuke button doesn't work !
I'm loosing all my time on that stupid issue. I just have finished to build a new map, and I'm putting now the final touch : the end button... and after having checked and tried averything I just don't know what's the bug.

I didn't give any pal nor flag, nor blocking status excepted the lotag 32767 or 65535 (I tried both).

Has someone some idea about what else could prevent a nuke button to operate ??
That's the great technical question of this century... I know.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: img2.png
  • Attached Image: img1.png

User is offline   Mark 

make sure the button is wall aligned

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostDavid B., on 30 April 2016 - 08:03 AM, said:

Has someone some idea about what else could prevent a nuke button to operate ??
That's the great technical question of this century... I know.

this has happened before in some map - i don't remember all the details.

put the nuke button on a different wall (or even in a different room) and see if it works - if it does, then the wall (or floor) has some tag or property that affects the use of the button
- iirc it was pretty obscure and could only be detected by looking at the properties (F7 or F8 in 2D mode ?), Some odd thing like OverTile set to -1 instead of 0.

This post has been edited by Forge: 30 April 2016 - 09:06 AM

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Try different heights, check if you haven't pressed "c" key on it, and try to separate the button from the wall a little bit more, if that doesn't work copy a button from another map.

EDIT: posting while Forge.

This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 30 April 2016 - 08:58 AM

View PostMike Norvak, on 30 April 2016 - 08:57 AM, said:

Try different heights, check if you haven't pressed "c" key on it, and try to separate the button from the wall a little bit more, if that doesn't work copy a button from another map.

EDIT: posting while Forge.

I did everything :angry: I have copied and pasted a nuke button from E1L1, I have removed all the textures, I have tried several buttons on different walls... I have checked that "c" key thing, but no.

Edit : and now I have put a button in another part of the map, but not working.

This post has been edited by David B.: 30 April 2016 - 09:22 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostDavid B., on 30 April 2016 - 09:19 AM, said:

I did everything :angry: I have copied and pasted a nuke button from E1L1, I have removed all the textures, I have tried several buttons on different walls... I have checked that "c" key thing, but no.

Edit : and now I have put a button in another part of the map, but not working.

check your wall properties and look to see if there's some odd setting (like OverTile set to -1 instead of 0) - maybe you generated the problem throughout the entire map.

if you have to, make a simple, untextured, unadorned room out away from the rest of the map, put a nuke button in it, and start scrolling through the wall and floor properties to look for abnormalities
(make a completely new map with a plain room and a nuke button -that works- to compare the values if necessary)

This post has been edited by Forge: 30 April 2016 - 09:53 AM

User is offline   Kyanos 

blocking bit can cause this issue, hit -b on the nukebutton and give it a go.

View PostForge, on 30 April 2016 - 09:35 AM, said:

check your wall properties and look to see if there's some odd setting (like OverTile set to -1 instead of 0) - maybe you generated the problem throughout the entire map.

if you have to, make a simple, untextured, unadorned room out away from the rest of the map, put a nuke button in it, and start scrolling through the wall and floor properties to look for abnormalities
(make a completely new map with a plain room and a nuke button -that works- to compare the values if necessary)

Many thanks to all of u.
The OverTile numbers of the walls were set to 6125. I set it to 0 for the button's wall and this is working now :angry:
I'm wondering why such a variable may affect a button ?

This post has been edited by David B.: 30 April 2016 - 11:44 AM

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostMr.Torture, on 19 August 2014 - 11:41 AM, said:

Hey guys,
you can't turn on/off a rotating sector, right?

I've playing some things here trying to "split-door" a rotating sector when I found this, probably isn't a new thing, but I think it should be shared.

I have made a rotating sector, then added a ST 28 (Drop Floor or Ceiling) and a SE 21 (Drop Floor). Changed SE orientation to down and then added a Masterswitch. Added a SE 31 (Floor Rise/Fall) with down orientation. When activated, the sector rises and the rotating speed comes down slowly until it stops.

If the orientation is up, when it stops rotating, ceiling falls down fast and infinite (buggy). So this relevant.

Posted Image

Well this gave me the idea for a generator powering down, or anything else you can think.

*Edit: attached a map sample.

Bumped the post for you Paul. (post=204553) because I don't know how to share a post on mobile.

User is offline   magnarj 

Hey! Quick question, is it possible to create a moving sector that does not move the player? I seem to recall that it's possible, but I can't find any hotkey for it when looking online.
Basically I'm using a subway train as a "searchlight", but if you step into the searchlight you'll travel along with it, which isn't optimal.

Thanks!

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Disable floor relative texture with r

User is offline   DotK3D 

Hello all,

I have read in the wiki that sliding doors (ST25) have predefined speed. There is no possibility to adjust the speed anyway ?

Bye,
DotK3D

User is offline   Hank 

View PostDotK3D, on 03 January 2017 - 09:55 AM, said:

Hello all,

I have read in the wiki that sliding doors (ST25) have predefined speed. There is no possibility to adjust the speed anyway ?

Bye,
DotK3D

In this case, there's not a mapping solution available. The Speed Sprite determines how far the door travels, not how fast it moves. :lol:

This post has been edited by Hank: 03 January 2017 - 12:53 PM

User is offline   DotK3D 

Ok, thanks you. So no super-speed-horizontal-sliding-doors-deadly-crusher or super-slow-terrifying-temple-of-doom-doors-like-the-opening-of-dungeon-master then :lol:

Bye,
Dotk3D

This post has been edited by DotK3D: 03 January 2017 - 10:34 PM

View PostDotK3D, on 03 January 2017 - 10:34 PM, said:

Ok, thanks you. So no super-speed-horizontal-sliding-doors-deadly-crusher or super-slow-terrifying-temple-of-doom-doors-like-the-opening-of-dungeon-master then :lol:

Bye,
Dotk3D

Depending on the exact situation, you might experiment with the following:

High speed door/crusher: try using two opposing two-way trains. You will either need a long travel distance or else operate only once (with tricky setup) as below a certain distance there will be accuracy issues (basically if distance is less than the acceleration plus dacceleration distance of the two-way then it can be a bit unpredictable when setting it up). You can disguise the long distance using various methods if necessary.

Slow speed door / crusher: Look into the sector stretch effect.

If you really fancy some experimentation (and pain), you can use the normally lame/useless escalator to make a fast repeating crushing walls effect.

TTFN,
Jon

User is offline   DotK3D 

Hello,

I have test the bridge ST, As I understand it, it moves only the vertices near the Sector Effector and so stretch the texture, I stick to ST25, it's good enough for me now. About the 2 way train, I am not experienced enough to try this method, but I keep that in mind - and honestly, the fast crusher was just a thought crossing my mind ^^, I actually trying to do a simple double sliding door and I wanted to slow down just a bit the opening. But still it's interesting to know that I can try this when I'll be more comfortable with the mapping - and if I need to crush the player ^^.

I have check the escalator on the wiki, and I didn't know such unfinished ST existed. But I am not in "I whip myself with barbedwire" mode actually :lol: .

Thanks for the answer,
Bye
DotK3D

This post has been edited by DotK3D: 04 January 2017 - 01:51 PM

View PostDotK3D, on 04 January 2017 - 01:50 PM, said:

I have test the bridge ST, As I understand it, it moves only the vertices near the Sector Effector and so stretch the texture,

There are two ways around this, either make the door very wide (with most of it hidden), so the wall length as a percentage change is small => minimal texture squishing. Or else use two shrinking sectors to make a door - see attached example (not pretty, but you'll get the idea). Another side effect can be panning of the floor texture, but this tends to be a small change so just choose a floor texture like the door track (as in example) and you'll not notice the panning.

(In the example, at the far end, I made a slow squisher, just out of curiosity, It's OK for player squishing but as you'll see enimies dont seem to realise the wall is moving and often get squished long before the gap closes. Drats ... and double drats).

View PostDotK3D, on 04 January 2017 - 01:50 PM, said:

I have check the escalator on the wiki, and I didn't know such unfinished ST existed. But I am not in "I whip myself with barbedwire" mode actually :lol: .

You show great wisdom Grasshoper :D

TTFN,
Jon

Attached File(s)

User is offline   DotK3D 

Hello,

Sorry for the late answer, but I wanted to do some test before.

The big door is a good trick and really slower than the sliding door (I have made one in front of yours to check the speed). A small difference (beside the floor panning) is, if I am correct, you need to wait the bridge fully extend before reactivating the switch. Another thing is I am not sure I have enough room in the map I want to make for such a trick ^^. Anyway I keep the map test in my doc folder, just in case.

(In the example, at the far end, I made a slow squisher, just out of curiosity, It's OK for player squishing but as you'll see enimies dont seem to realise the wall is moving and often get squished long before the gap closes. Drats ... and double drats).

Yes I see, dumb baddies ! Could be a nice ending for a level, duke gather all the baddies and say to them before crushing them : "I've told you that nobody steals our chicks and live !". It's a bit sadistic but it's Duke ^^.

You show great wisdom Grasshoper

Thanks, but it's mostly because I have not a lot of time for messing with duke3d and I am really not experienced enough to try incredible stuff like some I have see in various topics ^^.

Thanks for the answer and for you time, now I'll try to find some time to finish this door with its switch and sound.
DotK3D

View PostDotK3D, on 07 January 2017 - 03:22 AM, said:

A small difference (beside the floor panning) is, if I am correct, you need to wait the bridge fully extend before reactivating the switch.

No, this is down to which switch you activate it with. For example if you change the switch from tile 134 I used to tile 162 you will be able to reverse the door midway through its movement.

TTFN,
Jon

User is offline   DotK3D 

Ok, I have just tested as you said. I didn't know that switches had different behaviors.

Thanks,
DotK3D

User is offline   Gambini 

Any console command to reduce mouse speed in 2d mode, when windowed? I realized it doesn´t match the windows speed and it´s too fast to be controlled since i replaced my mouse (which seems to be more sensitive).

nope?

User is offline   Mark 

Wear a rubber over your mouse to desensitize it. :lol:

Type sensitivity and a number from 1-25. Default is 7 Not sure if thats game mode or Mapster too.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 08 January 2017 - 12:11 PM

that only works on 3d mode (i tried it before posting that). I need something for 2d mode. The cursor moves considerably faster than over the Windows desktop and changing the control pannel settings doesn´t affect it. It´s becoming an annoying obstacle since i have to correct my movements all the time because it moves way too fast.

Wear a rubber over your mouse to desensitize it. :lol:

oh :D I first thought you meant a mouse pad

This post has been edited by Gambini: 08 January 2017 - 12:31 PM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

It almost sounds like some sort of high dpi scaling would be on which would mess around with coordinates, like trying to double size mapster or some shit..
A far fetch of course..

User is offline   DotK3D 

Hello,
I wonder what is the purpose of the command 'O' in mapster (ornament sprite onto wall), is it just to reset any rotation on a wall aligned sprite to make it flat on the wall again ? Beside, when I hit 'O' on a sprite not a wall, this one disappear, is the sprite deleted or does it still exist ? I haven't found much information about this command.

Thanks in advance,
DotK3D

Share this topic:

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options