Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D Steam Community Workshop - Duke4.net Forums

• 19 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D Steam Community Workshop  "Usersmaps playable on the steam version of Duke3D"

User is offline   MetHy 

So it is now possible to upload and play usermaps in the Steam version of Duke Nukem 3D.

Link to workshop : http://steamcommunit...se?appid=225140

I have uploaded my maps and I like Steam's system : for users it's very easy to play a map, just click "subscribe" in the workshop and it appears in the 'usermap' section in game.

However, when I uploaded Galbadia and Sin Center, I have forgotten to change the name of .mid files to 'dethtoll' (I kept them as the map's name since that's who I was used to). Any idea if it's still possible to change it? Not a big deal I guess anyway.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 12 December 2013 - 08:27 AM

User is offline   Loke 

Yeah, there's a guide on the Megaton Steam page that cover this here: http://steamcommunit...98993334#184353

Listing, Updating And Deleting Maps

* To list all your published maps you can type the following command: cmdtool list This command is helpful if you decide to update or delete your map but forgot its FILE_ID

* To update your map you have to prepare a folder the same way as you did for publishing or reuse your previously prepared folder. Use the following command after you have prepared the folder: cmdtool update FOLDER_NAME FILE_ID "Changelog message". Example: cmdtool update myhouse 190199901 "Added more powerups in the kitchen". If you forgot your FILE_ID use cmdtool list

* You can delete your map from Workshop page or by using the following command: cmdtool delete FILE_ID.

I uploaded three of my own maps as well. I skipped the rest though since they require EDuke32 as well as using custom .con files.

User is offline   MetHy 

Damnit, whenever I use cmdtool list it crashes. Any other way to get the file ID?

Also what do you mean by "requires" eduke32? The jonof version of Megaton supports maps that break the old limit. Galbadia works just fine. Also doesn't it support extra cons? It does support art and midi.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 12 December 2013 - 09:40 AM

User is offline   Loke 

The file ID is in the web address of that specific map so for an example my Stadium Redux map page is http://steamcommunit...s/?id=198684219 - i.e. the file ID is 198684219

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

how can i find the original creator of a duke 64 map ? I want to upload it to the workshop but credit must be given ..problem is i dont know who to credit

User is offline   Lunick 

@MetHy, http://steamcommunit...s/?id=198993334 this would be your friend, scroll down to Listing and Updating.

Edit: I was sleepy and didn't see the same guide posted above aha.

This post has been edited by Lunick: 12 December 2013 - 03:35 PM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

I personally think you should get permission from the original author first to upload anything. Regardless of what steam workshop says.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 12 December 2013 - 02:19 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Question for the eduke32 developers: Will eduke32 be able to get megaton's user maps to show up in its own user map menu? If so it would be easy to upload maps to the workshop with TROR or whatever, and say "simply download and run eduke32".

User is offline   MetHy 

Thanks I was able to update the music for both maps.

And also yeah, I also believe nobody should updload a map that's not his own unless the mapper asked him of course.

If someone wants to upload his maps he should just make a Steam account, and if that requires buying a game he could get a small game on sale for less than 1$ and it'd be totally worth it.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostDuke64Nukem, on 12 December 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

how can i find the original creator of a duke 64 map ? I want to upload it to the workshop but credit must be given ..problem is i dont know who to credit

You shouldn't upload them just like that since they contain new textures, sounds and a different number of players.

Thinking of it, perhaps I could modify some of the maps.

User is offline   MetHy 

It's weird, I've updated the maps adding the musics as "dethtoll.mid" and the original dethtoll still plays when lauching the maps... oh well.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

What are the rules for posting user maps? I mean technical rules.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Probably there aren't any rules. Unless your map crashes the game, which I am sure I could make one like that. :wub:

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostMetHy, on 13 December 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

It's weird, I've updated the maps adding the musics as "dethtoll.mid" and the original dethtoll still plays when lauching the maps... oh well.

I've spoken with Termit about this and he said he is going to update it at some point so that the music plays the same track as the map file name.
Also Megaton doesn't play .mid files as far as I know, only .ogg

This post has been edited by The Commander: 13 December 2013 - 10:34 PM

• Honored Donor

View PostThe Commander, on 13 December 2013 - 10:33 PM, said:

I've spoken with Termit about this and he said he is going to update it at some point so that the music plays the same track as the map file name.

Wow, Megaton is worse than bare bones when it comes to modding (considering the original exe could play midis). I really wish Megaton had some kind of official option somewhere obvious, probably in steam workshop, that allows you to directly download eduke32 and play mods with it. I don't think the kind of people who are playing maps in Megaton are mentally stable enough to find eduke32 on their own.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostThe Commander, on 13 December 2013 - 10:33 PM, said:

Termit, same guy who uploaded all of William Gee's and Pascal Rouaud's maps?

View PostMicky C, on 13 December 2013 - 11:15 PM, said:

Wow, Megaton is worse than bare bones when it comes to modding (considering the original exe could play midis). I really wish Megaton had some kind of official option somewhere obvious, probably in steam workshop, that allows you to directly download eduke32 and play mods with it. I don't think the kind of people who are playing maps in Megaton are mentally stable enough to find eduke32 on their own.

Whatever, I play maps on Megaton. Plus some people might just not know that eduke32 even exists so Megaton's workshop is great for that (i've had for my first comments EVER on one of my deathmatch map, and Sin Center has already been downloaded by 65 people), plus, browsing, downloading and playing maps for Megaton is incredibly user friendly and easy.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 14 December 2013 - 05:54 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Yes, Termit one of the Devs for the Megaton edition.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMetHy, on 14 December 2013 - 05:28 AM, said:

Whatever, I play maps on Megaton. Plus some people might just not know that eduke32 even exists so Megaton's workshop is great for that (i've had for my first comments EVER on one of my deathmatch map, and Sin Center has already been downloaded by 65 people), plus, browsing, downloading and playing maps for Megaton is incredibly user friendly and easy.

On Steam I see no reference to EDuke32. This is simply another way to peddle the Megaton Edition, while I respect business, please don't insult my intelligence.

User is offline   MetHy 

What I meant is that Megaton reaches a whole audiance which eduke32 hasn't succeeded to reach (because it was never its inttention) : people who had forgotten about Duke3D

• Honored Donor

Yeah but now that they're reminded about it I can't see why eduke32 can't be brought to their attention so that they can play many of the high quality maps and (in this case especially) mods with a compatible, flexible source port.

User is offline   Lunick 

Why all the fighting again? eduke32 is already brought to players' attentions if they browse the Megaton forums as there is a eduke32 sub forum. Termit also made it clear what the publishing rules were in the guide you basically have to read to know how to publish maps http://steamcommunit...98993334#184360

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMetHy, on 14 December 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

What I meant is that Megaton reaches a whole audiance which eduke32 hasn't succeeded to reach (because it was never its inttention) : people who had forgotten about Duke3D

Thanks for saying that

View PostLunick, on 14 December 2013 - 07:16 PM, said:

Why all the fighting again? eduke32 is already brought to players' attentions if they browse the Megaton forums as there is a eduke32 sub forum. Termit also made it clear what the publishing rules were in the guide you basically have to read to know how to publish maps http://steamcommunit...98993334#184360

Who is fighting? Yes, EDuke32 has a section on their forums, and is mentioned for modding in the guides. Irrelevant. On the 10th this month Megaton issued a level editor and users can upload maps. But neither enhancements will benefit EDuke32.
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 14 December 2013 - 08:48 PM

• Honored Donor

Ok I find the level editor amusing. While I can understand that megaton is a good way for casual players or people who want a quick easy way of playing Duke, it's hard to argue the above points for a level editor, considering that by definition its users would be modders and therefore getting deeply involved in the game.

I don't see how a steam level editor can have a single advantage over mapster32, which has numerous little additions and scripting features to make level editing easier and faster. What are they going to do, add achievements? "Achievement unlocked: you've made 100 sectors!"

User is offline   Lunick 

Ease of access? People complained that the DOS version of Build wasn't setup for use through the Steam client so JFBuild was distributed to work through the Steam client, like some other games have on the store... If you really wanted to (and was smart enough to) you would swap the exe for mapster32 and run that through Steam if you really wanted to. Not everything has to have achievements Micky...

This post has been edited by Lunick: 14 December 2013 - 09:36 PM

• Honored Donor

I tried out the level editor to see if it was any good. And WOW. I've never used the original build editor, but this must be the same thing. It's lacking a LOT of the simplest standard controls mapster has such as the mouse wheel in 3D mode. I don't even know how to look up and down, and I'm not sure if the instructions are readily available, while at least those things are somewhat intuitive in mapster. Further more it's lacking that interface in the bottom left corner, not sure if that can be toggled on or not, and I can't copy and paste any textures.

Plus, the only textures available seem to be 170 or so from Ken's Labyrinth, and no Duke textures. I don't know how it would be for a beginner or someone used to the old Build, but for me it would be a slow, frustrating nightmare trying to make maps in it. Maybe it's ok for making simple Dukematch maps if you've never used a build editor before. But I really hope people believe me when I say people would be out of their minds trying to make a large, half decent singleplayer map in it over mapster32.

Analogy for non-mappers, quoted for effect:

It's like being used to bluray, with it's high resolution video, special features, ability to do scene select/skip between scenes, and fast forward and rewind at incredible speeds as well, plus things like subtitles. Then you go back to old blocky VHS tapes, with their low quality video, zero special features and extras, and it takes forever to fast forward and rewind, with things like subtitles and skipping scenes impossible. It might be alright for some people to watch VHS videos for a short time, but when possible every effort should be made to choose the bluray option.

I'll also take this opportunity to thank TX, Helix and anyone else who worked on mapster32 over the years, I had no idea how far it had come.

Posted Image

User is offline   MetHy 

You just like to be angry for the sake of it. You failed to have valid angry points against Megaton so now you're switching to Build, which like you said doesn't even matter because nobody in their right mind would use it. Why all the hate? Wrong period?
Plus nobody's ever said this was meant to replace mapster. Besides the textures problem, hundreds of people made quality maps using that version of Build for a long time. Heck I remember MRCK saying he only had switched to mapster32 a couple of years ago...

Meanwhile, my maps have been downloaded 20 times more since my last post so I have no reason to be angry.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 15 December 2013 - 12:22 AM

• Honored Donor

I don't hate megaton. I think it's a great, long overdue idea and it's nice to have all the expansions in one place, as well as the extra attention to Duke 3D. I just don't want people to miss out on some high quality mods or the mapster program because they can't be bothered looking past megaton.

Anyway I think I might upload CBP 8, and Parkade, even though they only work with eduke32 and people will have to download it to play. They're both collaborative maps so I hope the other mappers don't mind. It'd be pretty much impossible to get all of their permission within a reasonable timeframe, and as one of the mappers I believe I have enough justification to do it especially since I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't want it up.

• Honored Donor

Edit: Whoa the forum double posted...

This post has been edited by Plain Simple Garek: 15 December 2013 - 12:47 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

So basically you want to upload for Megaton something that does not work for it and might even make it crash, while advertising for another sourceport at the same time, and without mentionning that downloading a map for eduke32 using Megaton would be more complicated than the normal way and while also forgetting that a lot of people are going to download maps on Megaton without reading the description.

Before giving all the mappers involved in those maps as well as eDuke32 and anybody involved in its making a bad reputation, I think you should ask every single of them. There is no reason to start a "megaton VS eduke32" war.
The more sensible thing to do would be to advertise those maps on the Megaton forum since it already has an eduke32 thread. But what do I know, just do your thing...

In any case, the Megaton workshop is made for Megaton so I doubt its developers are going to leave something that does not work for it a long time there.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 15 December 2013 - 01:12 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

Specifically it doesn't make it crash, it makes the game hang which is just as worse.

Share this topic:

• 19 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options