Duke4.net Forums: RELEASE: DUKE NUKEM FOREVER 2013 - Duke4.net Forums

• 36 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

RELEASE: DUKE NUKEM FOREVER 2013  "it wasn´t a hoax."

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Just finished it. Awesome job guys. That was so much fun. You completely nailed implementing details and callbacks from the promotional material into the levels without it feeling shoehorned or awkward. I love how the levels feel. Open but directed. It easy to see a ton of work went into this. I absolutely loved it!

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

As promised earlier, here a little review, without providing too many spoilers, I hope.

Las Vegas Holocaust
The Ladykiller intro level done the RIGHT way, without the pointless RC car driving, and more importantly, you get a gun pretty fast to take care of things properly. Outdoor action on the streets with checking out some well-designed bar areas. If this start does not make you want to continue playing, then I don't know. First "magic moment" ofc: "Man, this thing is really pissed off!" xD

EDF Headquarters
Time for serious motorbike action. I had some trouble to get that thing under control, died a few times with it even, but still, it's a lot of fun. The scenes from the trailer with General Graves, the jet flying into the window and blasting open that gate with the jet machineguns are implemented well and don't appear to be added just to have them in there, it makes sense in the context of the level. I also like how you guys made careful use of voxels, e.g. the EDF hologram in the HQ. There's also this "Half-Lifeish" moment when things turn bad in the facility all of a sudden and you have to fight against former buddies. And ofc, you have to "save the world all by yourself". Hehe.

Morningwood Ghost Town
More atmospheric than in the actual DNF. The cable cars and the saloon shootout when you enter the desolated town are my personal highlights of this level. Music also contributes to the whole scenery a lot, it's high noon for the alien bastards.

Anderson Mine
No mines without mine car riding sequence or running away from a huge rolling rock, so here you go. Even though it's maybe less spectacular than the rest of the episode, it remains entertaining and, most importantly, opposite to other mine maps I know, you don't get lost.

Hoover Dam
Finale and my personal pinnacle of the episode. It already starts humorous with Gus and the awesome (even though a bit short) donkey ride sequence. When you reach the top of the dam, it reminds you a lot of DNF, but without the stressful boss fight - which gives you more time to check out the surroundings. The worker in the waiting area for the "dam show" has been reproduced really well from DNF teaser screenshots. Amazing recreation of the power plant section of the dam (where you fight the Octaking in the original game), too, it's a huge area with an impressive view. And btw, those "Fire and Ice Enforcers" (let's call them like that) can be pretty "dam" annoying. xD
Fighting the boss isn't too difficult, there is enough ammo lying around (even though rockets apparently are rare throughout the whole episode, so at least *I* had to use a lot of bullets for this one). You are rewarded with a pretty cinematic ending which I don't want to spoiler here, but it's definitely something you don't see in every Duke3d mod out there.

Verdict:
My personal rating for this is at least 9.5/10. The level design is superb, usage of music throughout the episode is fitting (and "Half-Life style" sometimes, only playing at certain spots of the maps, which I liked), and all those little scenes we know from the 2001 trailer and screenshots have been implemented in a way that it makes sense, and you can't avoid grinning when you have those encounters.
The few new weapons look and feel cool, especially the Assault Rifle which I would have liked to use all the time actually (but couldn't due to frequently running out of ammo). The reloading leaves you vulnerable for a time which feels like an eternity, but I guess it's a compensation for the general power of the gun. On the other hand, the redesigned Shrinker was rather so-so for me, but I don't like using it so much in general since it takes too long to stomp enemies.
Maybe there are a few issues left still, e.g. with the motorbike or the imported trailer speech, but in general, there is no reason at all why you should not play this if you are interested in a great Duke3D mod. If there's anything left to criticize, then it's the fact that it ends at some point, for me after about a bit less than two hours (20-30 mins per map, including a lot of sightseeing). In case you guys are in for some additional levels, by all means, do it!

Some screens from later levels:

This post has been edited by NightFright: 02 May 2013 - 01:45 AM

User is offline   lambdist 

Will the Golden Desert Eagle be in final version?

User is offline   Psyrgery 

View Postlambdist, on 01 May 2013 - 02:37 AM, said:

Will the Golden Desert Eagle be in final version?

Somebody could edit it in easily. Also, Golden M1911A for teh win!!!

Just finished it... My review: Flawless, perfect, the only true sequel to Duke Nukem 3D.

Fantastic work guys, fantastic.

The ending... Just, the ending :)

User is offline   Loke 

View Postzykov eddy, on 30 April 2013 - 11:35 PM, said:

Damn, this thing sure gets a lot of attention :)
Reminds me of Brutal Doom's overhyped popularity.

So what you're trying to say is that this mod is overhyped? :)

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostLoke, on 01 May 2013 - 03:03 AM, said:

It is, but it's a good thing considering it's a great mod.
Spoiler

User is offline   zykov eddy 

View PostLoke, on 01 May 2013 - 03:03 AM, said:

No way, I think this is what Duke 3D community actually needed. I'm glad to see what people are paying more attention to Duke 3D mods these days.

User is offline   Kathy 

Simply fantastic. And I liked the bike. It gives the much needed variety even if it is sort of glitchy.

Glad that my favorite moment from 1998 trailer was in there.

I love you guys. :) ;) :) :) :)

P.S. Just noticed that I played on opengl polymost and not software rendered. Oh, well, but it was default setting, I believe.

User is offline   Kathy 

So... yeah.

http://www.eurogamer...ke-nukem-3d-mod
http://kotaku.com/a-...nukem-486170721
http://www.pcgamer.c...odders-fix-dnf/

This post has been edited by Cathy: 01 May 2013 - 03:23 AM

User is online   Sangman 

Lol, video game journalism.

"DNF sucked, here's a link to a Duke3D mod that remakes it in the Duke3D engine" - boing new article! :)

This post has been edited by Sangman: 01 May 2013 - 03:26 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

Who cares? Not every mod gets that coverage which was my point with giving these links.

This post has been edited by Cathy: 01 May 2013 - 03:32 AM

User is offline   zykov eddy 

View PostCathy, on 01 May 2013 - 03:20 AM, said:

God, now I feel kinda jealous. I mean, none of my projects got so many articles, reviews and comments, and I really like to read reviews. The articles are always much better than youtube LPs, especially if PC Gamer posts one.

You're so damn lucky, guys! :)

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 01 May 2013 - 03:34 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View Postzykov eddy, on 01 May 2013 - 03:33 AM, said:

God, now I feel kinda jealous. I mean, none of my projects got so many articles, reviews and comments, and I really like to read reviews. The articles are always much better than youtube LPs, especially if PC Gamer posts one.

I'm still not sure whether the Kotaku article is positive or not.

User is offline   Kathy 

View Postzykov eddy, on 01 May 2013 - 03:33 AM, said:

To be completely fair they had whole DNF 2011 fiasco to fuel interest towards their mod.

View PostMicky C, on 01 May 2013 - 03:36 AM, said:

I'm still not sure whether the Kotaku article is positive or not.

I think it is. "It's amazing what a visual downgrade and a switch from creepy polygons to serviceable bitmap characters can do for a game".

Now we need a real Cease&Desist to strike gold. ;)

:)

This post has been edited by Cathy: 01 May 2013 - 03:42 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Speaking of which, how has that not happened yet?

User is offline   Kathy 

Why should it? Come on...

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Thanks again for all the comments!

View PostMblackwell, on 30 April 2013 - 08:48 PM, said:

Apparently in the Dam I was able to somehow sequence break? I couldn't tell you what I did but I managed to get trapped in the area where you need a red keycard (after the explosion) with no way out and only a blue keycard. If there was something I missed that was supposed to help me get out of there, I certainly couldn't find it. I searched every corner and even used a jetpack to look around. Managed to find a hidden atomic health and that's it. So apparently I did something out of order? Or there was a glitch somewhere.*

*Edit: On IRC I was told to shoot the portal but I did that more than a few times and there was no reaction.

Yeah you're supposed to shoot the "orb" that's in the hive thing's "mouth". It reacts by making noise, spawning guts, growing in size and turning red at 50% of its initial health so there should be enough feedback.

Also on the donkey I was unable to shoot (I had a shotgun at the ready at the time, if that matters), I had to use god mode to get past it.

That sounds very weird. As far as I know, you're the only one to have come across such a problem. I must've run through that segment at least 20 times and never encountered anything like that. The only situation where you could be left with no ability shoot is if you have no bullets left for the shotgun, but that's nearly impossible unless you're trying to run out of bullets.

The last consideration is given how many surprise death traps there are you should have some kind of checkpoint system. I'm sure they never caught you by surprise but you're the developers :).

Yeah we could add something like that. I guess both of us were so used to manual saving that we overlooked the possibility that some people might forget to save often enough.

View PostNightFright, on 01 May 2013 - 12:58 AM, said:

And btw, those "Fire and Ice Enforcers" (let's call them like that) can be pretty "dam" annoying. xD

I always referred to them as "bruiser brothers", you know, after the Barons from the first Doom's finale!

User is online   Sangman 

I don't think they've broken any copyrights. Pretty sure this mod would fall in that odd realm of "parodies" which AFAIK are protected by law. :)

User is offline   Kathy 

I wonder what would happen if they dare.

• Honored Donor

View PostCathy, on 01 May 2013 - 03:56 AM, said:

I wonder what would happen if they dare.

Yatta to the rescue?

User is offline   Kathy 

Nah, with the coverage like that there will be enough people pissed off at GBX.

User is online   Sangman 

Many people have already played it, sending a C&D now would be a PR nightmare on GBX' part (read: everyone will hate them.. "evil megacorporation trying to stomp small indie mod makers down!"). It's not gonna happen, unless they're really that dumb.

This post has been edited by Sangman: 01 May 2013 - 04:44 AM

• Honored Donor

Btw, this is how I felt when I was riding the motorbike besides the trucks in level 2 (it really did seem like they were trying to get in my way)

I know that section was definitely a reference to a similar section in 2011 DNF and the monster truck, but I'm not sure if the terminator reference was also intentional.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 01 May 2013 - 05:02 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

It was Final Fantasy VII reference.

User is offline   MetHy 

Breaking news everybody : Today May 1st 2013, on your very own Duke Nukem forum, an unprecedented discovery has been made : Final Fantasy VII invented riding a motorbike on a highway!

This post has been edited by MetHy: 01 May 2013 - 05:20 AM

User is offline   NNC 

Good mod, although it's not bugfree. There should be more interactions with the objects IMHO (especially in the first level), even if it's hard to do that in the ancient Build engine. Others elaborated the problems with the bike... but it's still a solid ride and all. In many ways this mod reminds me of Redneck Rampage + Rides Again (the Bike part, the mine part), Half Life (EDF part) and other games like Shadow Warrior (the new pigs are relatives to those good ol' Rippers). The new enemies are excellent, and should be used in the original game as well, especially those infested DNF soldiers. I liked the voxels as well, they have been done well. I didn't like the new Shrinker though.

The leveldesign is Mikko/Gambin quality, never let me down... the gameplay was above average though, sometimes fun, sometimes idle, but it's clearly Duke3D. I would give it an 8.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostNancsi, on 01 May 2013 - 05:34 AM, said:

There should be more interactions with the objects IMHO (especially in the first level),

This. I was constantly on the look out for interactivity, but after awhile abandoned the notion of it being one of the game's main focuses.

This post has been edited by Cathy: 01 May 2013 - 05:47 AM

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostCathy, on 01 May 2013 - 03:31 AM, said:

Who cares? Not every mod gets that coverage which was my point with giving these links.

Duke Fuckin' 3D mod, at that. :)

And in the year 2013, mind you. :)

AND:

http://www.shacknews...m-forever-of-e3

This post has been edited by Duke Rocks: 01 May 2013 - 05:53 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

Yep. It's somewhat unheard of for a mod to a 1996 game in that game's engine to be on the forefront of news coverage. And it doesn't use HRP or Polymer to enhance its graphics fidelity. Moreover it is recommended to be played at software renderer.

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

^ Yeah, that was my point. :) Granted, it was capitalizing on the failure of a recent title as well as the relatively high demand for a previously shown version of that said title....but all in all, the hype that has been generated for a mod of this type is unprecedented.

This post has been edited by Duke Rocks: 01 May 2013 - 06:01 AM

Share this topic:

• 36 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options