• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Those simple questions thread  "Simple questions, simple answers"

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Are you guys remembering to press 'X in 3d mode to enable light preview?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Yes.

User is offline   Mark 

Probably my fault. The original Eduke flashlight code from Darkus specifies a pal 10 spotlight placed anywhere in the map. No hitag needed. Thats what I put in the test map because I assumed Helix's Mapster code was based on the same flashlight code. In this new version I gave it a hitag so you can see it. Sorry if you ripped any hair out in frustration. It will grow back. BTW, it still doesn't work for me because the keypress combo does not get reassigned to activate the light. It continues to control sector shade as if just the ctrl and KP- keys are being pressed. Shift seems to be having no effect.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Mark.: 11 December 2016 - 04:26 AM

• Weaponized Autism

With the fixed map, [']+[X] mode, and `include a`, the keypress and the headlight itself work for me.

User is offline   Mark 

I'll have to try with a newer version of Eduke. It used to work with my old favorite of 4593 but not any more. I wonder what has changed since then in either Mapster or a.m32

EDIT: It works after 'include a' in a close to newest version. Just for my own info I might bisect it to figure out when it stopped working. Thanks.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 11 December 2016 - 03:18 PM

User is offline   Mark 

The mystery deepens. I installed 4593 in my up to date Eduke32 folder and the Mapster flashlight works fine after include a. I get a message about 4 errors when it runs and that sounds familiar from back when I used to use it.

So something in my Graveyard folder is stopping the flashlight from working. But for the life of me I can't understand why. I'm using the same Graveyard svn working copy on my drive that used the flashlight during map creation. BTW, when I run 'include a' in Graveyard, instead of the "4 error" message I get a "1 error" message. So now starts the hunt for what is keeping a.m32 from executing properly. I don't know where exactly to start looking.

• Weaponized Autism

Do you have an old a.m32 in that folder? Try updating it from SVN.

User is offline   Mark 

I grabbed the same one from 2015 that works in my new Eduke svn folder.

User is offline   Mark 

I know its been discussed before but I don't remember the answer. Is there a setting to disable the red/green polymer lights from wall switches?
If not, are there any switches now that do not use the lights?

edit: I found a thread from back in 2010 which gives a con fix for disabling lights but my current project is staying away from extra cons. I was hoping that the option has been added to the game since then.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 18 December 2016 - 09:43 AM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMark., on 18 December 2016 - 08:41 AM, said:

I know its been discussed before but I don't remember the answer. Is there a setting to disable the red/green polymer lights from wall switches?
If not, are there any switches now that do not use the lights?

edit: I found a thread from back in 2010 which gives a con fix for disabling lights but my current project is staying away from extra cons. I was hoping that the option has been added to the game since then.

I use the menu, Options > Display Setup > Polymer Setup > Dynamic Lights = Map Only. On my map, only the SE lights work, anything else does not.

User is offline   Mark 

That sounds like its what I'm looking for but...Dammit, because of rendering issues I have to use old, old version 4593 from 2014 which doesn't have that menu feature. Thanks for the reply.

User is offline   Mark 

I seem to remember a post last year about the "animated UV's for models" feature being considered for eduke32. Did it ever get coded in? Any links to it's usage? Or has my memory failed me once again and there was no such discussion.

edit: someone on another site saw this question and gave me a link to the eduke32 wiki thread about the xpanning feature.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 10 January 2017 - 04:26 AM

User is offline   Mark 

In the near future I would like to edit some Eduke32 wiki page entries. After signing up for a wiki account will there be any other hurdles I have to clear or permissions from people here before I can edit?

User is offline   Mark 

deleted, wrong thread

This post has been edited by Mark.: 17 February 2017 - 07:37 PM

So i didn't get something about other user maps and modding ethics: am i allowed to include maps by other ppl in my own projects, with little modifications ? Mainly sprite replacement

This post has been edited by RichardStorm: 03 April 2017 - 05:12 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostRichardStorm, on 03 April 2017 - 05:11 AM, said:

So i didn't get something about other user maps and modding ethics: am i allowed to include maps by other ppl in my own projects, with little modifications ? Mainly sprite replacement

I do it in my projects, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's right. The fact is that for this type of mod, it is crippling to not be able to include user maps, and sometimes they need small modifications (typically the insertion of effects sprites) in order to highlight the features of our mod. I advise giving prominent credit to the map authors wherever you give credits in your mod. If the map author can be contacted, and especially if they are still active in the community, let them know what you are up to. It's very disappointing when someone objects, but sometimes they do, and in those cases we should not include their maps (I have not always been on the right side on that point).

User is offline   Jblade 

If the author allows it in the text file, than it's fine - sometimes they don't say anything or they make it ambiguous but basically as long as you're prepared to respect any requests to remove the map (unlikely if the map's like 20 years old or something but still) than you should be okay. Have a folder with the map's original text files in it as well.

User is offline   necroslut 

Is there a way to set the hitag/lotag of a sprite in 2D mode? (Sector Effector that is inaccessible in 3D mode without picking apart the geometry)
Is there a way to set the hitags/lotags of a whole group of selected sprites?

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Hold ALT, or press F8.

This post has been edited by Daedolon: 05 April 2017 - 02:53 AM

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostDaedolon, on 05 April 2017 - 02:51 AM, said:

Hold ALT, or press F8.

Tags seem to be inaccessible from the F8 menu, but Alt+H/T did what I was looking for, thanks. :blink: No way to do several selected sprites at once, though?

User is offline   Mark 

Is there a way to spawn something only in a certain skill level? A respawn sprite is tied to it's activator by a lotag number. But, the lotag is needed to tie it to a skill level. How do i do both?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMark., on 21 June 2017 - 04:54 AM, said:

Is there a way to spawn something only in a certain skill level? A respawn sprite is tied to it's activator by a lotag number. But, the lotag is needed to tie it to a skill level. How do i do both?

I don't know if that's possible in vanilla, but if this is one of your mods then you can put an extra tag on the respawn for difficulty and make it delete if the difficulty is lower than the tag.

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostMark., on 21 June 2017 - 04:54 AM, said:

Man, such things should be in eduke32 by default. :P

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostSanek, on 22 June 2017 - 10:17 AM, said:

Man, such things should be in eduke32 by default. :P

Let's think about it. Anyone who wants the feature can add it with a few lines of code for their project. But if the feature is part of EDuke32 by default then:

-maps with the feature will not work properly with older versions of EDuke32, or any other version of Duke 3D, even if they are within the original sprite/wall limits etc
-if the feature re-purposes an existing "unused" tag, then it might break some existing mods for EDuke32
-if the feature adds an entirely new tag, then it breaks the map format
-it adds a little more overhead to an already difficult to manage codebase (these things add up)
-hardly anyone will know about the feature or use it, then it will be largely forgotten about until years later it breaks something or someone discovers it has been broken by an update

User is offline   Mark 

I was researching the WIKI on how to proceed. As usual I come up with multiple possible ways of attempting it. But as usual, I'm not sure which I can figure out or which would be the most efficient execution wise. Do I use an event? Which one? As good as the wiki has gotten over the years its still sorely lacking in little code snippet examples for easier understanding.

My first thought was to set the extra of the respawn sprite to 3 which matches the skill level I want it to appear in. Then figure how to detect the extra setting of that type of sprite ( or is it an actor? ) at load time and either load it or don't depending on the detected skill level the player chose. So as you can see, sometimes it harder for me to choose the logic of an effect than it is to code once you figured out the logic. :P

Also, I was hoping it was an easy mapping solution because its only going to be used for maybe 3 or 4 spawns in skill level 3. But if the code is simple I'll go with it and also add it to my folder of little con snippets I have been gathering over the years for future use.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 22 June 2017 - 11:00 AM

User is offline   Sanek 

I have a simple suggestion - if you have only 1 episode worth of content, you can just made a different versions of your map(s), each with it's own difficulty setting. .

User is offline   Mark 

I want to test an .IVF format end of level cutscene for the first level of the game. What is the name of the original file so I can rename my new one to match? I couldn't seem to find the info in the wiki.

User is offline   Mark 

Never mind. I found out it is hardcoded to call separate tile numbers instead of an animation file. I'll have to figure out a con solution to bring up our new cutscene and bypass the original by going straight to end of game instead of end of level after the new cutscene plays.

User is offline   Mark 

According to the wiki you can disable a switch or other item from emitting a Polymer light by setting it's htflag to 256 in cons. I seem to remember reading a while ago about a way to do from Mapster? If so, does anyone remember what to set? A quick search didn't turn up an answer so I'm asking here.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Nope, htflags don't exist in a map.

Share this topic:

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options