Duke4.net Forums: Those simple questions thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Those simple questions thread  "Simple questions, simple answers"

User is offline   kullenberg 

Ok, good to know. Is this strictly a problem in eduke or is it the same with the classic engine?

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Crisscrossing sprites never worked/drew properly. What I used to do when I made mods that needed it was to have the texture sawed in half. Took twice as many sprites though.

What's the blend sprite member, without description on the wiki ? I remember is something related with transparency/lighting

This post has been edited by RichardStorm: 13 September 2016 - 06:56 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I just bought and installed a new 3D monitor and glasses. I thought that the last time I had a 3D setup years ago ( maybe 2009 ) that Eduke was supported. But that doesn't seem to be the case now. Did I forget to activate something it or is my memory wrong about it working?

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMark., on 24 September 2016 - 06:49 PM, said:

I just bought and installed a new 3D monitor and glasses. I thought that the last time I had a 3D setup years ago ( maybe 2009 ) that Eduke was supported. But that doesn't seem to be the case now. Did I forget to activate something it or is my memory wrong about it working?

http://wiki.eduke32....onsole_commands

There's a cvar for r_redbluemode, but typing "r_redbluemode 1" in the console does not work, and that wiki page does say it is disabled.

User is offline   Mark 

I should have been more specific. I was referring to the LCD shutter glasses. Not the red/blue.

User is offline   Mark 

I found the answer. The DOS version of Duke3D had support for Crystaleyes LCD glasses. That is what I had and what I was remembering from way back in the 90's. So I guess no 3D for eduke unless a dev wants to just slap it in real quick. ;)

Also, in all the game lists I have seen so far, quake 1,2,3 Heretic2, kingpin, unreal are not listed and must only run on the old 3D glasses system. Those were other games I used to play in 3D. That really sucks.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 25 September 2016 - 02:19 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostRichardStorm, on 13 September 2016 - 02:15 AM, said:

What's the blend sprite member, without description on the wiki ? I remember is something related with transparency/lighting

It controls stuff like additive rendering and such, but you need a modified palette dat for it to work. I'd recommend doing a search of the forum for posts by helixhorned about it (you can specify that in the search bar) since he wrote a brief guide on using it somewhere.

User is offline   Mark 

Does anyone remember what the keypress is in Mapster to activate the Darkus flashlight code. In game its the backspace key. I wanted to mess around in my Graveyard mod today but I can't see too well without the flashlight on.

User is offline   Mark 

I know I wasn't the only one using that flashlight mod. Surely some out here must remember what that keypress is in Mapster. :)

I found the answer while searching for something else. Its ctrl shift KP- but its not working. I have a.m32 in the root folder. Maybe its too old of a version. I'll try to find a newer one. Its been so long since I worked with this. Is there anything I need to do to make sure a.m32 runs?

I installed a newer a.m32 because my previous one was from way back in 2012. Still no flashlight in Mapster. :mellow: Looking at it in Notepad I don't see anything listed for that function. Helix was the one who made it IIRC. I'll pm him and see if he can tell me what I'm forgetting.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 29 November 2016 - 08:18 PM

User is offline   Mark 

I didn't hear back from Helix so I still don't know how to activate the flashlight in Mapster. AAARRRGGG!!!

User is offline   blizzart 

View PostMark., on 07 December 2016 - 05:07 PM, said:

I didn't hear back from Helix so I still don't know how to activate the flashlight in Mapster. AAARRRGGG!!!

Wasn´t it Darkus who did the Flashight mod?
My link

I didn´t even know that it could be used in Mapster, too.

User is offline   Mark 

Yes. Darkus did the flashlight mod for Eduke but not Mapster.

I did an extensive search of the threads and found the post concerning the Mapster flashlight that Helix installed in the a.m32 file. The keypress shown does not work. I dont remember having to do anything other than make sure the a.m32 file was present. The fact its not working means I have forgotten something simple because I'm trying to use it in my old Graveyard project where i used the Mapster flashlight all the time. Nothing has changed in the project's folder since I released the project.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 08 December 2016 - 04:58 AM

User is offline   Kyanos 

open the console ~

"include samples/a.m32"

User is offline   blizzart 

View PostMark., on 08 December 2016 - 04:55 AM, said:

Yes. Darkus did the flashlight mod for Eduke but not Mapster.

I did an extensive search of the threads and found the post concerning the Mapster flashlight that Helix installed in the a.m32 file. The keypress shown does not work. I dont remember having to do anything other than make sure the a.m32 file was present. The fact its not working means I have forgotten something simple because I'm trying to use it in my old Graveyard project where i used the Mapster flashlight all the time. Nothing has changed in the project's folder since I released the project.

I remember having problems with polymer lights in my mod (EDuke and Mapster) from one day to another, which only could get solved by deleting te flashlight code form my con file.

I don´t know if you have a graphic chip on you CPU. Once I lost all my spotlights in Mapster, because the onboard GPU was in use instead of the nVidia video card.

User is offline   Mark 

Sorry Drek, I should have posted I tried that too. But I shouldn't have had to even try because last time I used this project in this same folder, the flashlight worked in Mapster. It has to have something to do with the keypress because all that happens with ctrl shift KB- is shade adjustment.

Blizzart, all Polymer lights work fine. The flashlight is fine in Eduke. Its just not showing up in Mapster.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Looking through a.m32 and it's help file didn't reveal anything to me. In fact I didn't even find a keypress for the flashlight in the list of all other key presses

This post has been edited by Mark.: 08 December 2016 - 04:03 PM

User is offline   Spectre01 

Hey guys, just got back into using eduke32 recently and got a few questions. Running the Megaton version with no addons and all the polymer stuff on. Doesn't seem like the filtering is working as changing the mode from classic only smooths out the background skybox and nothing else. Also, I'm getting a thin line above the weapon sprite when firing, as seen with the foot here here.

User is offline   Mark 

Since its starting to look like I am the only person active in the community that used Helix's flashlight mod for Mapster I have a request for the devs if you happen to read this post. If any of you have the ability to contact Helix could you ask him to pop in here for a post or 2 to help me out. I have run out of other options and I really want to be able to create another level for my Graveyard project in the near future. The flashlight makes it waaayyy faster to map than if I have to constantly raise and lower the brightness and visibilty in the map to test things out.

Also, I don't want to see this great Mapster add-on just disappear into the void.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 10 December 2016 - 06:00 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Can you use this program to search for all .m32 files on your disk(s)? https://voidtools.com/

User is offline   Mark 

OK. I installed and ran it. I have 92 hits for .m32, 26 are a.m32 and they range from 13-46kb

but 23 of them are in Heretic 2 so I'll ignore those.

What next?

This post has been edited by Mark.: 10 December 2016 - 12:11 PM

• Weaponized Autism

Could you zip all the non-Heretic 2 ones and PM them to me?

User is offline   Mark 

I'm not allowed to attach anything in PMs. I'll see if I still have my dropbox account info handy.

Just the a.m32's??

edit: I attempted to zip them but it says I can't have identical file names. I would have to change the name slightly for all of them. I'm not that well versed in code but I did see a call for "state headlight" but didn't see the actual headlight code anywhere in a.m32 nor a keypress to activate in the a.m32 help file.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 10 December 2016 - 12:34 PM

• Weaponized Autism

Ah, "headlight" was the trick.

View PostHelixhorned, on 05 April 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

View PostDanM, on 05 April 2013 - 02:02 AM, said:

helix can you add another default command to the a.m32 like a headlight for working in darker areas, alt+num2 turns a point light on in the players position that follows you with about a 2000 radius at 255 255 255, its kinda like playing minecraft mapping in the dark, and i know i could dick with the r_shadescale but then its going to looking different in the game, and this would be a really nice feature I think more than myself would use if possible.

Can do.

I, in r3648, said:

a.m32: Implement a Polymer "head light" emanating from your position in 3D mode.

Toggled with Ctrl+Shift+[KP-]. Variable 'headlight_range' controls its range.
For the implementation, a new event EVENT_PREDRAW3DSCREEN was added.

What I forgot to mention is there has to be an active Polymer light in the map to display the head light. There is no way to create lights from m32-script, so it just takes the light with index 0, repositions it and tweaks some of its members. When you disable the head light again, it should go back to its old position. However, I only tested that with SE lights, it might be broken for lights created by loading a maphack.

I still see this code present in a.m32. If the keystroke doesn't work for you once you add an SE light to the map and `include a`, pulling down the console and entering `do set headlight_enabled 1` should.

P.S. I don't need the m32s any more, but I would have said include all the .m32s (not just a.m32). To solve the renaming problem, first select them all in Search Everything, copy, paste into a new folder, and let Windows' file renaming do the rest.

User is offline   Mark 

I'll try it out shortly. After this first time will it write to a cfg file so I don't have to type into the console again?

User is offline   Mark 

When include a executed I got an error that I have no names.h present, hopefully not a light breaker.

do set headlight_enabled 1 executed and produced no errors.

The keypress of ctrl shift KP- still did not activate the flashlight for me. I was expecting a new line or 2 in the a.m32 cfg file but nothing different than before.

I do have the proper SE 50 light with pal 10 in the map in case you were wondering.

edit: I'm also wondering why it worked a couple of years ago without having to type in the console. Did it perhaps automatically detect that SE light with pal 10 that is needed in Eduke and activate?

EDIT AGAIN: I'm curious. What is the file size of the a.m32 file you are testing with? Maybe I need to install a different version than what I have now. I tried 3 different ones with no success.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 10 December 2016 - 05:28 PM

• Weaponized Autism

I'm using the latest a.m32 from SVN. The keystroke works for me, but I can't get a light to show up either. It might be that I don't have a light SE in the map. It doesn't matter what attributes the light has: as long as it is active, it will use the one with ID 0.

Where can I find a map with a light SE in it?

User is offline   Mark 

Wow, easier said than done. I just browsed through 4 pages in the release thread and I didn't find one. There has to be one I guess I just missed it.

EDIT: I grabbed the version from the svn and put it in 2 different project folders and ran the scripts. No Mapster headlight wtf. The most baffling part is, as I mentioned before, it used to work fine in my same unchanged Graveyard project folder.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 10 December 2016 - 06:36 PM

• Weaponized Autism

Could you whip up a one-room map with a light SE and attach it?

User is offline   Mark 

OK. I just made one for testing. I don't know on your end but for me the keypress involved doesn't kick in. It performs its previous function of controlling visibilty or brightness, I forgot which one.

Attached File(s)

• Weaponized Autism

Weird, either I'm doing something wrong or spotlights don't work at all.

Share this topic:

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options