Duke4.net Forums: Those simple questions thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Those simple questions thread  "Simple questions, simple answers"

User is offline   Mark 

I replaced an existing switch model with one of my own and I wanted to disable the light. I hoped it was an easy tagging in mapster. I guess I'll leave the lighting in. Its not worth it to code up a new switch actor for this one switch.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 02 August 2017 - 07:14 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I found this from last december. This is what I was remembering incorrectly.

Hank wrote:
In the menu, Options > Display Setup > Polymer Setup > Dynamic Lights = Map Only. On my map, only the SE lights work, anything else does not.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 02 August 2017 - 07:35 AM

User is offline   spacekebab 

(sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask this)
is there a way to prioritize the z-layer (?) of stacked sprites in 8bit render mode? for example, blood pools [not] rendering over sprites/voxels when looked at from certain angles. cstat 1024 doesn't seem to do anything. then again, i'm not exactly sure what 1024 does.

This post has been edited by spacekebab: 07 August 2017 - 11:39 PM

User is offline   Sanek 

Is it possible to create the underground cave-like planet without any water in it? Or the only water it can have is a deadly lava? I'm working on a concept of the underground map right now, and I can't decide whether it should use jetpack or scuba gear in its inventory.

User is offline   pmw 

It seems that new Mapster has somekind of "autoarea" feature when I'm clicking Mouse1 on 2D mode. When I click, it always make somekind of area selection, can I turn this off?
After this new feature, I can't click wall points so easily, makes mapping pretty much impossible now.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

The CFG file has a value for it you can change. I also agree it should be based on zoom level instead of build units.

User is offline   pmw 

Okey, sounds good. However, I couldn't find anything related to that. Not from CFG file and not from wiki(which seems to be a little bit obsolete). Could you tell what is the correct line for that?

Hi there! Quite possibly this is the wrong place to ask this question so sorry in advance if im right... I can launch and play a game with a modified user.con file, but when i play with online with my friend (he also has the exact same con file) we see no effect from it ingame, and it disappears comepletely from the folder. I can recall that it was possible to play with custom con files with a friend 5 years ago, so what am I doing wrong/what is happening? (FYI: Im playing mainly on xduke, hduke - but wont work with eduke either..)
EDIT: Im entirely sure that this is the wrong place to ask this question, :thumbsup:

This post has been edited by thisbecasper: 16 August 2017 - 09:04 AM

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

If running the exact same .exe file in the same place with the same folder contents gives different results in single player and multiplayer, then I am also confused. Duke has code to only look for game data inside the GRP file and not in the folder, but to my knowledge this is only activated if your CON files have errors and you say yes to the question about using "internal defaults". I have not heard of this code applying to multiplayer, but to some extent I would expect that kind of thing from hDuke. I'm not so sure about xDuke.

User is online   Striker 

• Auramancer

hDuke prevents you from using *any* modified content without a certain command line parameter, as far as I know. I can't recall if xDuke does the same, don't think so however. EDuke32 doesn't do this, but in any of these ports, if there's an error in your CON, it'll ask you to use the internal defaults, which will nullify any effects your CON file may have had.

This post has been edited by Striker: 16 August 2017 - 09:46 AM

Another question: Is there a way to change the default music played when playing a usermap. Right now it play the music from E1M2, red light district, and its so dull. Can I change it to lets say E1M4's music, so it plays that instead all the time?
- Side question: If it is just a simple change in the con files, would it mean that ill get an error when playing multiplayer - if im not making a seperate folder? Hope you guys understand my question :)

User is offline   necroslut 

thisbecasper, on 20 August 2017 - 09:42 AM, said:

Another question: Is there a way to change the default music played when playing a usermap. Right now it play the music from E1M2, red light district, and its so dull. Can I change it to lets say E1M4's music, so it plays that instead all the time?
- Side question: If it is just a simple change in the con files, would it mean that ill get an error when playing multiplayer - if im not making a seperate folder? Hope you guys understand my question :)

In user.con you can change the music file for each level, including e1l8 which is the user map slot. But you do know about changing music with F5/Shift+F5, right?
As for the side question, I'm not sure - I've never tried to do that. I don't know if the game even lets you start the match with different .con files. But someone should know. I can't see how the different music files played would in itself cause the game to go out of sync, that shouldn't be related to the multiplayer code at all.

necroslut, on 20 August 2017 - 11:00 AM, said:

In user.con you can change the music file for each level, including e1l8 which is the user map slot. But you do know about changing music with F5/Shift+F5, right?
As for the side question, I'm not sure - I've never tried to do that. I don't know if the game even lets you start the match with different .con files. But someone should know. I can't see how the different music files played would in itself cause the game to go out of sync, that shouldn't be related to the multiplayer code at all.

Yeah, I am aware I can shift music manually, but that is starting to actually be a pain in the ass - also when I load a saved game on a usermap it loads with the E1M2's music regardless of the music that was played when I saved the game. Thank you for your help!

User is offline   BestViking 

I remember someone making decent looking snow in duke years ago. Does anyone have a good code for falling snow that looks decent?

User is offline   stumppy84 

I think Nuclear Winter had snow..

How can I make the textures I define in the DEF file appear in mapster? I include the def through the GAME.CON. Is that the way to get it to load correctly or am I doing something wrong? The wiki doesn't mention this, only the specific commands to be put in the DEF file.

• Weaponized Autism

Just name the def file duke3d.def.

I tried that now, but still doesn't display anything.

Textures are in a subfolder named "textures" and this is what my def looks like:

texture 5122 {
pal 0 { file "textures/128_128rust.jpg" } }

Is it possible to see from that information what might be causing the problem?

• Weaponized Autism

I would recommend your folder something different, because that will clash with one of the files EDuke32 uses for the texture cache.

Please post a mapster32.log from a run of the editor where you expect to see your tile work but it does not.

Mapster32 r6129 (32-bit) C++ build
Compiled Apr 23 2017 22:19:20
Running on Windows 10 (build 10.0.14393)
Initializing SDL 2.0.5
Using C:/GOG Games/Duke Nukem 3D/ for game data
Using C:/GOG Games/Duke Nukem 3D/ for game data
Executing "m32_settings.cfg"
Searching for game data...
Found no recognized game data!
Using "DUKE3D.GRP" as main game data file.
Loading "m32help.hlp"
Loading names file: NAMES.H
Loaded 740 names.
Switching keyboard layout from 00000414 to 00000409
1 joystick(s) found
1. XInput Controller #1
Joystick 1 has 6 axes, 11 buttons, and 1 hat(s).
Initialized 24.0M cache
Loading "duke3d.def"
Warning: defined hightile replacement for empty tile 5122. Maybe some tilesXXX.art are not loaded?

Definitions file "duke3d.def" loaded.
Setting video mode 1680x1050 (8-bpp fullscreen)
Refresh rate: 59Hz
Trying SDL_Renderer "direct3d"
Loading sounds from "GAME.CON"
warning: duplicate sound #261, overwriting
warning: duplicate sound #323, overwriting
Loaded 374 sound definitions.
Setting video mode 1680x1050 (32-bpp fullscreen)
Switching keyboard layout from 00000409 to 00000414
Refresh rate: 59Hz
OpenGL information
NVIDIA Corporation GeForce GTX 1080/PCIe/SSE2 4.5.0 NVIDIA 376.53
Unable to open cache file "textures" or "textures.cache": Permission denied
Wrote m32_settings.cfg
Switching keyboard layout from 00000409 to 00000414

• Weaponized Autism

Have you defined an art tile for that slot?

What I posted earlier is the entirety of my DEF file, so I guess not. I can't see any command for defining any tiles####.art if that's what you mean?

From years ago when I was experimenting with this, you'd just have to define a tile in the DEF file, and it would appear. If a tile slot is what you mean, my tile was defined as tile number 5122, beginning just after the last of the original duke tiles.

• Weaponized Autism

tilefromtexture 5122 { file "textures/128_128rust.jpg" texture }

Consider saving your images as PNG, not JPEG. However, never convert a JPEG to a PNG.

That worked! Thank you!

The source of the tiles are all jpg, so I guess I'm screwed if that format would lead to problems(?). It displays properly in mapster now though. I'm going to try and see if the maskwall glitch is resolved now with these highres tiles. My problem was with duke palette tiles, although the renderer was polymost, so I guess that is where those problems might be coming from.

I'll consider building around polymer if that one doesn't have those maskwall glitches, but that would require more processing power than what I realistically need to realize my concept.

• Weaponized Autism

JPEG will work fine, it's just that JPEG sucks.

User is offline   pmw 

I hate to ask this again, but I can't find any CFG references or anything from Wiki, how to disable this autoselect thing from MOUSE1 button.

Example video:

When I click MOUSE1 button, new Mapster automatically starts selecting stuff. How to disable this? I've stopped making my new episode after this update, makes Mapster unusable IMHO. :)

• Ancient Blood God

Edit the value in the m32 cfg file (I forget the name of it).

User is offline   pmw 

Which one? I have no idea what that could be, completely new feature for me.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 18 September 2017 - 11:21 AM
Reason for edit: Spoilered.

• Ancient Blood God

Looks like your cfg is really old, try grabbing a newer version of M32 and its cfg. The value should be this, however:

; Point and line highlight/selection distances
pointhighlightdist = 128
linehighlightdist = 1024

User is offline   pmw 

I guess we are talking about different things.

I guess those values are changing how *far* my click chooses "wall point"?
It's kinda related to this. But changing those values doesn't disable this automatic selection tool.

Share this topic:

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options