• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 3D Voxel Pack

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

View PostDzierzan, on 28 November 2020 - 02:37 PM, said:

Maphacks for these voxels could be applied here:
[...]
Were any maphacks applied to the spacesuit?

E2L8 maphacks for tile #606 (dead astronaut) updated. This also includes the area near the (secret) exit. Apparently the voxels have different alignment compared to the HRP models (which were probably wrong).

This post has been edited by NightFright: 29 November 2020 - 11:10 PM

User is offline   Dzierzan 

Guys! What's your opinion about voxelizing RPG's rocket? Yay or nay?

This post has been edited by Dzierzan: 30 November 2020 - 07:51 AM

• The Truth is in here

If it looks good, why not. We already have the Battlelord mortar and the tripbomb as voxel projectiles, so similar stuff has already been done, kinda.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 30 November 2020 - 08:44 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Big yes.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNightFright, on 30 November 2020 - 08:18 AM, said:

If it looks good, why not. We already have the Battlelord mortar and the tripbomb as voxel projectiles, so similar stuff has already been done, kinda.

Not similar in the relevant ways, though. The rocket will look weird in 3D if it doesn't pitch. People in this very thread convinced me that it was a bad idea when I suggested it myself a while back. :lol:

It may have issues but at this point I say just make it because it can put the speculation to rest and then people like me will stop requesting it.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I actually programmed 3D rocket behaviour one time using sprites. Using the same system and pre-angled voxels with say 15° increments it might look pretty good (or not.) Either way, it's plausible pitch and roll commands could be added in the future, so even if the voxel couldn't be used now it could be later perhaps. It could also be useful for modders in the meantime.

Overall the RPG has very inconsistent art, and at times appearing a little crushed. Below is a chart of all the official art, along awith some edits I have created that I believe would greatly assist anyone making voxels. I took some artistic liberty I guess, but I studied the shapes and different angles and that's what I came up with. It's pretty obvious only certain angles ever got final polishing passes by the artist.

Posted Image

User is offline   Borion 

View PostDzierzan, on 30 November 2020 - 07:50 AM, said:

Guys! What's your opinion about voxelizing RPG's rocket? Yay or nay?

Yay! I started working on RPG rocket (7+1 distinct frames) half year ago but paused it at certain point. Just can't decide on few details regarding length, light, etc so I left it for later.

Some months ago on this thread there was a discussion about how to interpret rocket dimensions, since sprites are quite inconsistent. It looks like original 3D renders were couple of times modified by hand in pixelart(y) style. There was rocket sprites comparison from various DN3D builds that Jimmy once published, all problems are visible there.

Looks like You are dedicated to get it done now and probably have your own set of ideas, so please go with it Dzierzan.

EDIT:
Jimmy beat me to it.

This post has been edited by Borion: 30 November 2020 - 11:56 AM

Soon...

Posted Image

• The Truth is in here

I just remember that shuttle sprite is pitched by default. Are you imitating that rotation with the voxel? Seems that way.

User is offline   jkas789 

Spaceships and rockets. So exciting!

Also, has there been any consideration to voxelize WT sprites?

It's technically done, but since pitching causes a lot of artifacts and distortion, it still requires some extra work before it can be used in the game.

Posted Image

User is offline   Borion 

View PostDzierzan, on 01 December 2020 - 12:37 PM, said:

It's technically done, but since pitching causes a lot of artifacts and distortion, it still requires some extra work before it can be used in the game.

It is a beauty, very high quality model. I'm impressed with lighting work and translating sprites "softness" into model.

I imagine that besides being nice campaign-map prop, this object can be used for some cutscene or intermission.

BTW I was thinking... apart from this thread, was Duke Voxel Pack advertised somewhere else? It's currently a niche mod for eduke32/BuildGDX/Raze (not sure about Raze though)?

Perhaps Moddb website would be a good place to put it on? Just someone who's in charge of this project could put it there too (I guess it's currently you NightFright).

https://www.moddb.co...e-nukem-3d/mods

• The Truth is in here

I have an account over at ModDB, maybe it's time to put it to some actual use soon. After the shuttle is finished, we can do another preview release and then it may be a good opportunity to "expand".

Anyway, I made a pull request on Github. Keep in mind that a pitched version will be used in the game, untill a proper implementation for voxel rotation in any direction will be implemented.

In the attachment I am giving you pitched and non-pitched versions.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Dzierzan: 02 December 2020 - 12:17 PM

• The Truth is in here

I guess the sprite version is pitched because otherwise it would be hard to identify it as a shuttle. I am not sure whether we should actually use the pitched voxel or rather the other.

Also I just realized the shuttle is used often in signs. That can look nasty without maphacks. I know it's used in Lunar Apocalypse a few times in space, but there may be some more "untraditional" usages of the sprite.

I also remember there is at least one in the Smithsonian level of DukeDC. Would be good to catch them all in the official levels including WT and addons. I doubt there are any in Caribbean and Nuclear Winter, though.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 02 December 2020 - 01:52 PM

Well, keep in mind that non pitched will actually look wrong in the game. And yeah, I recall it from DC addon... Museum, right?

• The Truth is in here

I have updated the DUKEDC4 maphacks (luckily, most of the work was already done, especially the shuttle sprite used as a sign). To my surprise, that shuttle is used a lot less in the original maps than I had assumed. With the inclusion of this large voxel object, I found the time has come for a new release after such a long time (last preview was in July).

Version 2.0 RC1

I have deleted all previous preview releases to avoid confusion due to changed version numbers and now moved on to a "release candidate" series instead.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 03 December 2020 - 12:08 AM

User is offline   SonicB00M 

Both geishas in E3M1 are not aligned properly. I am using the World Tour.

Attached Image: duke0001.png

Attached Image: duke0002.png

• The Truth is in here

Probably someone forgot to adjust those since they have different IDs in WT. I bet there are more like these. Things could have been so easy if WT hadn't messed with sprite IDs in all classic levels.

*UPDATE*
Fixed. Apparently it was wrong for both Atomic and World Tour. Voxel must have different orientation compared to the HRP model (it's rotated 90° clockwise, meaning you have to add +512 units to all angoff entries regarding that sprite). Gladly, E3L1 is the only map in which this statue is used (AFAIK). If anyone knows if one of the addons (or WT) has it, please tell me so I can check.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 03 December 2020 - 09:58 AM

You like big voxels? Sure you do!

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Dzierzan: 03 December 2020 - 12:27 PM

• The Truth is in here

Zeppelin added on Github.

This secret area in Freeway could use a map hack.

Attached Image: duke0004.png

The heck you mean? It looks fine to me ;)

I guess you prefer having your junk pressed against the toilet paper while taking a dump xD

• The Truth is in here

I have checked that toilet in E3L11 and cannot find anything wrong with it. Maphack is already there and applied properly. It also doesn't matter whether you are using Atomic or WT, sprite ID is the same for both versions. Whatever you are doing with those maphacks, you are doing it wrong.

Hm, I am using Cosmetic Duke as well as the voxel pack. The other toilets seemed fine and judging by the angled pickups, the maphacks work properly. Odd that this toilet isn't aligned right for me.

• The Truth is in here

Sprite 89 angoff 512
That's the entry that fixes that toilet. I can only think of two reasons why it wouldn't work: Either the maphack file isn't loaded (but then there are also other mistakes), or another file or entry counteracts the fix (e.g. sprite 89 angoff -512).

User is offline   jkas789 

View PostSonicB00M, on 05 December 2020 - 03:57 PM, said:

Hm, I am using Cosmetic Duke as well as the voxel pack. The other toilets seemed fine and judging by the angled pickups, the maphacks work properly. Odd that this toilet isn't aligned right for me.

Are you sure you are including the maphacks.def file in Duke3d.def?

User is offline   NNC 

View PostDzierzan, on 03 December 2020 - 12:27 PM, said:

You like big voxels? Sure you do!

Posted Image

Bombardiers to your stations!

This post has been edited by The Watchtower: 06 December 2020 - 06:53 AM

Share this topic:

• 84 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options