• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 3D Voxel Pack

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Fire vase and rat added on Github.

User is offline   Dzierzan 

I mean cool. But why? Rats are the worst. Blood teached me that.

Voxels for the Voxel God!

Can this project also support World Tour voxels? I'd love to make some in the near future.

• The Truth is in here

I wouldn't know a reason why it shouldn't.

I think that Dzierzan work is nice, but i believe is time that Borion will share some of his secrets, i mean how the hell the shape of his voxels looks so smooth and defined compared to the other ones!? Posted Image

• The Truth is in here

Armchair2 (#557) by Dzierzan now on Github.

User is offline   SonicB00M 

So you basically turned around armchair1 for armchair2? That invalidated the maphacks as they assume the chair is facing the same way as armchair1.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: armchair2.jpg

User is offline   Borion 

View PostNightFright, on 25 November 2020 - 02:29 AM, said:

Armchair2 (#557) by Dzierzan now on Github.

???

View PostSonicB00M, on 25 November 2020 - 05:30 AM, said:

So you basically turned around armchair1 for armchair2? That invalidated the maphacks as they assume the chair is facing the same way as armchair1.

Yes thats exactly what happened.

This post has been edited by Borion: 25 November 2020 - 06:10 AM

User is offline   pavigna 

I made a voxel for the duke burger's tables. It aint much but at least it works well.

It won't let me upload a gif of it tho

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by pavigna: 25 November 2020 - 06:43 AM

• The Truth is in here

Emmm... yeah. Regarding #557. I just saw that it's just the rear side of #556 which we already have. We just forgot to make #556 defs also work for #557 at the same time. Will fix that now.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 25 November 2020 - 06:52 AM

Made the table into a KvX. i have a question tho, in game it renders as a voxel, but the palette is all fucked. in slab6 it displays the correct colors, but in mapster/eduke it doesn't

How can i fix that? do i have to code a palette for it or something?

Also the KVX is inside of the Duketable.zip, if you wanna see it and try to help me fix this.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Borion 

View Postpavigna, on 25 November 2020 - 07:17 AM, said:

Made the table into a KvX. i have a question tho, in game it renders as a voxel, but the palette is all fucked. in slab6 it displays the correct colors, but in mapster/eduke it doesn't

How can i fix that? do i have to code a palette for it or something?

Also the KVX is inside of the Duketable.zip, if you wanna see it and try to help me fix this.

Hey Pavigna! I will send You PM about that, just give me an hour.
Cheers

• The Truth is in here

Don't forget to provide the tilenum for this one, otherwise I need to look it up first.

View PostNightFright, on 25 November 2020 - 07:37 AM, said:

Don't forget to provide the tilenum for this one, otherwise I need to look it up first.

oh yeah sorry, the tilenum is 4387, the round table thing, it's from the Birth

This post has been edited by pavigna: 25 November 2020 - 07:39 AM

• The Truth is in here

A word about contributions in general:

1) You shouldn't post pull requests for stuff on Github without posting previews of your work in this thread before. We need to do some QA to make sure nobody is trying to sneak crap into the pack, as it was recently attempted with tile 557 which we actually already had and didn't need since it was an existing voxel rotated by 180 degrees. Which is BS since well, voxels are 3D and you don't need a separate voxel for the rear side of the same tile.

2) This brings me to the other point: NEVER rip someone else's work and try to claim it to be yours! This is indecent and unfair since it hurts the original artist. If we catch anybody doing this again from now on, we will erase any existing content of that person from the pack and will never accept any further contributions of the same individual ever again. Whomever it concerns, you have been warned.

Therefore, we will no longer let anything pass to Github before it has been posted and discussed here in the forums. If anyone is making a pull request without a corresponding post here, it's either going to be discarded or at least delayed until a forum post has been made.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 25 November 2020 - 08:53 AM

oh, before i forget, how on earth do i post pictures of the voxels i make here? i've been having a lot of issues with palettes and colors on my table voxel, but i get an error saying that images aren't supported in this thread. how do i do it?

• The Truth is in here

You could use Imgur (https://m.imgur.com) and post the linked images, for example.

View PostNightFright, on 25 November 2020 - 09:34 AM, said:

You could use Imgur (https://m.imgur.com) and post the linked images, for example.

thing is, i was linking imgur and had that error, i don't know why

says i am not allowed to use that image extension on this board

This post has been edited by pavigna: 25 November 2020 - 09:41 AM

• The Truth is in here

People also just post screenshots as attachment to their posts. You just can't exceed a certain filesize (dunno which right now).

here is my contribution! i managed to get the voxel to have the same colors as the original tile, so now it's ready to be used in maps!

Inside the .zip you can find a screenshot of it in-game, and the .kvx file.

Attached File(s)

• The Truth is in here

On your screenshot it's really hard to see the difference compared to the sprite, TBH. Maybe you chose an unfortunate angle?

We need to do some QA to make sure nobody is trying to sneak crap into the pack, as it was recently attempted with tile 557 which we actually already had and didn't need since it was an existing voxel rotated by 180 degrees. Which is BS since well, voxels are 3D and you don't need a separate voxel for the rear side of the same tile.

With all due respect but that's a bit hypocrisy. Why? When I made the pull request, I wrote the 2nd comment about suggesting the 2nd solution which would be using 556 instead and create maphacks. I did write it's up to you.

Here's a link to that pull request:

https://github.com/N...xelpack/pull/16

It's all right, no bad feelings, just giving my 2 cents.

I think that Dzierzan work is nice, but i believe is time that Borion will share some of his secrets, i mean how the hell the shape of his voxels looks so smooth and defined compared to the other ones!? Posted Image

Borion just taught me that when I make voxels, I should avoid side shadows. Since then, I updated most of my Dark Forces voxels and the newest voxels for Powerslave have this issue gone. It does look better for sure.

This post has been edited by Dzierzan: 25 November 2020 - 11:53 PM

View PostNightFright, on 25 November 2020 - 10:22 PM, said:

On your screenshot it's really hard to see the difference compared to the sprite, TBH. Maybe you chose an unfortunate angle?

Probably is that, it's not a really tall voxel because it functions as a table, but yeah i'll upload a better picture.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0003.png

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I think every voxel contained in the pack so far are of very high quality and rather consistently made.

• The Truth is in here

Regarding the Dukeburger table:
The difference compared to the sprite is not very dramatic, but I guess it's the nature of that particular sprite. It's a flat table and there's only so much you can make of it. I guess there is little to say against adding this to the repo, I doubt it can be done any better. Therefore, it's added on Github.

Regarding my previous post:
I didn't see Dzierzan's comment about #557, so there was also a mistake made on my side. If I had read it, I would have directly opted for just enhancing the def file instead of adding an edited version of Borion's existing #556 voxel which just had the direction changed by 180 degrees. Nevertheless, it doesn't hurt to have a little reminder about how to handle the work of others. I don't think we will really ever have a situation like this again, also since in this case it was rather a misunderstanding in more than one way. The proper procedure should always be to present your stuff to the public first before it's going into the Github repo, though.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 26 November 2020 - 12:56 AM

The only place where it appears is E4L1. IMO there's a room for improvement. The bottom is the same as top, it shouldn't be like that. I'd add another voxel later to the bottom, so it's more roundish.

The proper procedure should always be to present your stuff to the public first before it's going into the Github repo, though.

I am doing that all at the same time because I am confident in my stuff ^^.

This post has been edited by Dzierzan: 26 November 2020 - 12:54 AM

User is offline   Phredreeke 

View PostNightFright, on 26 November 2020 - 12:43 AM, said:

I didn't see Dzierzan's comment about #557, so there was also a mistake made on my side. If I had read it, I would have directly opted for just enhancing the def file instead of adding an edited version of Borion's existing #556 voxel which just had the direction changed by 180 degrees.

Does the def option of rotating an existing voxel (without adding maphacks for each occurrence) currently exist though?

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 26 November 2020 - 01:06 AM

• The Truth is in here

I think that's not possible yet. Didn't see any recent code adjustment regarding that in the EDuke32 changelogs, either.

BTW the Dukeburger table voxel doesn't work in E4L1. At first I thought it was because the sprites were blocked for model replacement via maphacks, but after commenting the responsible lines out, the voxel still wouldn't show ingame.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 26 November 2020 - 01:51 AM

View PostNightFright, on 26 November 2020 - 01:36 AM, said:

I think that's not possible yet. Didn't see any recent code adjustment regarding that in the EDuke32 changelogs, either.

BTW the Dukeburger table voxel doesn't work in E4L1. At first I thought it was because the sprites were blocked for model replacement via maphacks, but after commenting the responsible lines out, the voxel still wouldn't show ingame.

Oh yeah right, uhh, the tables in e4l1 are floor aligned, that's why the voxel doesn't show. i made it into a voxel because if you check the original code it has issues with clipping, having items fall right trough. so making it a voxel allowed me to put another sprite, now floor aligned, inside of the voxel to correct the weird collisions. so it's more of a practical voxel rather than a graphical/maphack one. i had to code a few new things in burger behaviour before i figured out this idea. So yeah it will never display, it's more for user-made maps. still no clue why the original sprite has wrong collisions with items. EVERYTHING that has gravity falls trough.

View PostJimmy, on 26 November 2020 - 12:40 AM, said:

I think every voxel contained in the pack so far are of very high quality.

It is indeed, i agree.

I could be wrong, maybe it depends from the size/form of some voxels, but to me looks like the ones (countless lol) that Borion did are made in a smoother way, the shape, especially on the borders, are more rounded, or at least looks like this to me (no offense intended guys).

Once again, i may be wrong and it depends by form/size of some voxels.

The main thing i'm trying to say is that if there are some nice "techniques/ tips and tricks" to make the voxels look even better, it would be nice to share them (via PM if you prefer), just a suggestion since i like all the great stuff you guys are doing.

This post has been edited by The Battlelord: 26 November 2020 - 03:56 AM

Share this topic:

• 84 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options