• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 3D Voxel Pack

User is offline   DotK3D 

View PostDzierzan, on 11 October 2020 - 02:28 AM, said:

@DotK3D

I am using MagicaVoxel to create voxels and Slab6 only to export voxels to KVX format.

Thanks (and sorry for the late answer !)

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Who added these cons in the first place and why, anyway? I don't remember any more. I gotta say the animations look a bit better when slowed down.

Anyway, I'll remove those for the freezer ammo and Holoduke, then. Less code is never a bad thing if it works without it. About the Pigcop Tank, I'll leave the con code in place for now.

*Update*
Freezer ammo and Holoduke were added in v1.1 back in 2014, so I guess it was Reaperman. I think I am slowly figuring this out. The Holoduke voxel had incorrect animtilerange defs before the v1.3 build started. The extra con code might have been provided to compensate for it. Still doesn't explain the freezer ammo.
I saw that pickups.def has animtilerange defs for the freezer ammo, so I was able to adjust animation speed right there instead of messing with con code. Effective immediately, freezeammo.con and holoduke.con are no more, wiped from the Github repository. Works just fine without those files. Could have seen this a lot sooner.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 15 October 2020 - 12:02 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Our defs should not need animtilerange either. Everything needed should be inherited from the original game's ART animation or CON actions.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostNightFright, on 15 October 2020 - 11:15 AM, said:

Freezer ammo and Holoduke were added in v1.1 back in 2014, so I guess it was Reaperman. I think I am slowly figuring this out. The Holoduke voxel had incorrect animtilerange defs before the v1.3 build started. The extra con code might have been provided to compensate for it. Still doesn't explain the freezer ammo.
I saw that pickups.def has animtilerange defs for the freezer ammo, so I was able to adjust animation speed right there instead of messing with con code. Effective immediately, freezeammo.con and holoduke.con are no more, wiped from the Github repository. Works just fine without those files. Could have seen this a lot sooner.

Yes, those were mine, it would be best to just keep as much as possible being controlled by the def. I didn't want anything to interfere with other mods.

• The Truth is in here

So I checked pickups.def and found three animtilerange defs, for the freezeammo, Atomic Health and Holoduke:

animtilerange 37 39 2 2
animtilerange 100 115 2 2
animtilerange 1348 1351 0 2

I tried with those lines and without. Here's what I found:
- Freezeammo: Without defs (that I just changed to have a delay of 2=1/4 of original speed) this doesn't seem to be animated at all. Electric beam on the top and the crystal window appear static. Way too fast.
- Atomic Health: Without the line, spinning animation is quite a bit faster. It looks better when slowed down the way it is right now.
- Holoduke: Speed is fine without the line (also indicated by the 0 delay value in the defs), so this one can be safely removed.

So: Yes, it works without the animdefs, no question. However, it does not look necessarily the same. See it as a hack of some sorts, if you will.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 15 October 2020 - 10:09 PM

User is offline   jkas789 

Made a video on how the freezer ammo and holoduke look like ingame with the commit made on october 15th to the github master. Also took a look at the canon shadow issue in action:

Edit: Fixed youtube link. Thanks Jimmy.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 16 October 2020 - 12:43 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

The YouTube media player on this forum only works with regular HTTP links, not HTTPS. Embed and YouTu.be links don't work either.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 16 October 2020 - 12:42 AM

• The Truth is in here

I think jkas captured the slowed-down freezer ammo quite nicely. IMHO without the animtilerange code it doesn't look the way it should. Before anybody asks me to remove it, do the edit in your voxel pack copy first and be honest afterwards.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 16 October 2020 - 08:02 AM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

The cannon's pivots need adjustment. They are far off-center.
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Striker: 18 October 2020 - 10:04 AM

View PostStriker, on 18 October 2020 - 10:04 AM, said:

The cannon's pivots need adjustment. They are far off-center.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Is that a maphack issue or an issue with the voxel itself? According to ShrinkDuke, Danarama and Tea Monster on a conversation that started on the Duke4 discord this could be corrected by making changes to the maphacks?

Here are some screens of the posts:

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   Aleks 

View Postjkas789, on 20 October 2020 - 09:42 PM, said:

Is that a maphack issue or an issue with the voxel itself? According to ShrinkDuke, Danarama and Tea Monster on a conversation that started on the Duke4 discord this could be corrected by making changes to the maphacks?

The weird thing is, all of those cannons have the "half-submerged" (cstat 128) bit on. The only difference is with hitscan turned on at the cannon which seems to be correctly displaying its shadow. You can try opening E4L4 in Mapster and pressing "H" in 3D mode on the other cannons to turn them hitscan-sensitive as well and see if the position of their shadows change somehow.

Also, if someone would consider making maphacks for those, I'd suggest pushing the cannons a bit further onto the bridge, so the shadow doesn't "stick out" in the air over the water like it does now :P

• Auramancer

View Postjkas789, on 20 October 2020 - 09:42 PM, said:

It's an issue with the voxel itself. It doesn't align with the positioning of the original sprite.

This post has been edited by Striker: 22 October 2020 - 06:20 PM

User is offline   mxrtxn 

View PostStriker, on 22 October 2020 - 06:19 PM, said:

It's an issue with the voxel itself. It doesn't align with the positioning of the original sprite.

Striker, just curious. Could you add the voxels I made to you your mod (railgun, double-barreled shotgun etc)

I would to see how they look inside your mod.

Mxrtxn

• Auramancer

View Postmxrtxn, on 23 October 2020 - 03:24 AM, said:

Striker, just curious. Could you add the voxels I made to you your mod (railgun, double-barreled shotgun etc)

I would to see how they look inside your mod.

Mxrtxn

I already did, long ago. It's just it's not released yet.

• Auramancer

Fixed the cannon's pivots myself.

http://shadowmaveric...1810_cannon.kvx

Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   mxrtxn 

It is time to kidnap this thread again...

Posted Image

Someone updated his Shadow Warrior Voxel Pack:

https://forums.duke4...ior-voxel-pack/

BTW: Would you like a modified version of the ninja girl for Duke Nukem Caribbean (or the normal Duke since they use the same palette file)???

More cool stuff coming soon ;)

This post has been edited by mxrtxn: 24 October 2020 - 06:13 PM

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Are you making voxels of enemies? 🤔

AFAIK he made voxels of the enemy corpse sprites, not the alive enemy sprites. He has made voxel models for the phantom thingy that springs out of the kamikaze enemies and the ninjas (again AFAIK).

User is offline   mxrtxn 

View PostPhredreeke, on 24 October 2020 - 06:15 PM, said:

Are you making voxels of enemies? 🤔

Just the corpses so far (ninja girl and coolie ghost as the transition when they die is not too odd to the viewer unlike the regular ninja). The best candidate for full voxelization timewise is the coolie ghost...

User is offline   Phredreeke 

I think a coolie ghost voxel might be useful for filling in bad sections of my upscale (the hands)

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

The main points of what I was talking about on the Discord thread was:

1. Existing map hacks for HRP models might mess up the positioning of your voxel models. Best to turn them off while testing.

2. It's always best to make sure your models are made with the correct orientation in your creation app. Make sure that they import to EDuke in the correct direction without map hacks.

You can fix stuff afterwards with map hacks, but the models won't work properly with user maps and it's generally a lot more wasted effort all around.

• The Truth is in here

Cannon pivot fix has been added on Github.

View PostNightFright, on 26 October 2020 - 06:47 AM, said:

Cannon pivot fix has been added on Github.

Something weird is going on, as initially it seems both cannons are fixed however after a few moments their pivot(?) changes? I have a theory this happens when they get hit from one of the explosions of the canonballs.

Anyways I'm using the latest master. Also I'm attaching the photos to the post as imgur is bugging out on me.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0002_result.jpg
  • Attached Image: duke0003_result.jpg

• Auramancer

The cannons rotating when getting hit is normal behaviour, they aim at their damage source. The rotation of the cannons has nothing to do with the voxel pivot. The actual actor angle is changing. You can change the angle in which a cannon shoots, by shooting it. It'll aim right at you.

This post has been edited by Striker: 26 October 2020 - 11:50 AM

• The Truth is in here

The cannon kinda reacts to you. If you attack it, it will target you. That's why we had the debate to put the cannon into the monsters folder. However, you would then have to activate all monster voxels and we didnt want that.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

The cannon is defined as "useractor enemy" in the CON file. That is why it exhibits the hardcoded behavior of turning to face you when hit. It also fires automatically, is counted as an enemy in stats and does get counted as an enemy kill if you destroy it. In other words, it is an enemy. This seems like a strange choice, but perhaps they did it to make it cast a shadow. I don't think there was any other way to make new actors cast shadows back then without changing the source code.

• Auramancer

I have a simple voxel request: The red/yellow/green respawn markers. I plan on writing CON code to make such a voxel rotate at the correct speed for each respawn time, at a smooth 120fps.

This post has been edited by Striker: 28 October 2020 - 02:35 PM

User is offline   Dzierzan 

The red/yellow/green respawn markers.

Are they in Duke Nukem 3D though? If yes, what are their tilenums?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDzierzan, on 29 October 2020 - 06:21 AM, said:

Are they in Duke Nukem 3D though? If yes, what are their tilenums?

It's sad that it has to be asked, but I guess that goes to show how long multiplayer has been broken in EDuke32. Yes, they are part of the vanilla game and they are used to show where items are going to respawn. EDIT: Of course I mean broken in mainline; Striker has his own branch.

Tilenum ranges are indicated in DEFS.CON:

define RESPAWNMARKERRED 3190
define RESPAWNMARKERYELLOW 3200
define RESPAWNMARKERGREEN 3210

I would say don't waste resources by making voxels for the various angles, Striker knows how to take a single voxel and rotate the angle of it in game. You could just make one voxel with blue on it and then the others can be pal variations.

This post has been edited by Danukem: 29 October 2020 - 02:15 PM

User is offline   Dzierzan 

Posted Image

Posted Image

I would say don't waste resources by making voxels for the various angles, Striker knows how to take a single voxel and rotate the angle of it in game. You could just make one voxel with blue on it and then the others can be pal variations.

Well, I'd love to know it as well, so I can add it to GitHub. I can't use tile0 -> tile0 token because those are not facing sprites. And if I replace all rotation sprites with the same voxel and add to them "rotate" token, will that inherit speed of animation?

Share this topic:

• 84 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options