Duke4.net Forums: Duke 3D Voxel Pack - Duke4.net Forums

• 84 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 3D Voxel Pack

User is offline   Dzierzan 

Yeah, I had to voxelize that thing. In game it behaves... interesting.

Posted Image

User is offline   jkas789 

Reading this thread it feels like I have achieved voxel Nirvana.

Except that mouse. That mouse can go to hell for all I care. I always hated that sprite, it gave me the creeps.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Pipes and mouse have been added to Github.

@NightFright
Do you want to me to convert those N64 voxels into KVX format and pull request them to Github?

• The Truth is in here

I think we should hear the opinion of others first regarding this. It's basically for usage with the DN64 mod which is deprecated by now since Rednukem can run the rom file natively. I dunno if the voxels can be used there (but I guess it should be possible).

Anyway, if these go into the pack, it would rather be for archiving purposes since they only make sense with DN64 and content related to it.

User is offline   Jmoc 

View PostBorion, on 28 January 2020 - 10:11 AM, said:

Posted Image

Slimer egg is also finished.

I'm using the latest voxel pack (latest from github rep) and the slimer egg does not show up as a voxel, tested with 'spawn egg'.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDzierzan, on 08 October 2020 - 01:20 AM, said:

@NightFright
Do you want to me to convert those N64 voxels into KVX format and pull request them to Github?

1. If any of them are not strict subsets of the Duke palette, they will have to be KV6 format iirc. I've never tried that format.

2. Loading them is another question. The idea of "ifcrc" breaks down when loading from an N64 cartridge.

3. Rednukem's DN64 renderer would need support for voxels too.

Speaking of the annoying mouse. Well, since it is voxelized, it had its price. Surely you can see now which direction the mouse is heading, but at the same time it looks wrong now. Does Eduke32 support some kind of movement where a voxel is always rotating towards player position but doing it slowly?

Posted Image

User is offline   Phredreeke 

View PostHendricks266, on 08 October 2020 - 09:41 AM, said:

1. If any of them are not strict subsets of the Duke palette, they will have to be KV6 format iirc. I've never tried that format.

2. Loading them is another question. The idea of "ifcrc" breaks down when loading from an N64 cartridge.

3. Rednukem's DN64 renderer would need support for voxels too.

1. Dzierzan said he used the Duke palette when making them.

2. Could there be a special def file that's only loaded when the current game is Duke 64?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostDzierzan, on 08 October 2020 - 09:46 AM, said:

Speaking of the annoying mouse. Well, since it is voxelized, it had its price. Surely you can see now which direction the mouse is heading, but at the same time it looks wrong now. Does Eduke32 support some kind of movement where a voxel is always rotating towards player position but doing it slowly?

This would require some CON editing.

• The Truth is in here

View PostHendricks266, on 08 October 2020 - 09:41 AM, said:

That's not implemented yet in general, is it?

Cannon and cannonballs voxels. Gotta admit, that one was a pain to make. Mainly due to facing sprites for the cannon are inconsistent. Now, should the cannon be added as a monster voxel or a prop?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• The Truth is in here

It's a prop, also defined as such in HRP. Even if it's not a nice one...

The reason why I think it's more a monster than a prop is that, it is grouped together with other monster sprites and if you shoot it, it will instantly rotate towards you, although it won't track your movement.

• The Truth is in here

It's used only once in the episode, for me it doesn't classify as a regular monster. Besides, we don't voxelize monsters, so you HAVE to define it as a prop. 😁

User is offline   Rellik 

Uh, is the turret, sentry drone, and the pig cop tank defined as a monster? Don't those have voxels?

But I do agree anyway, it doesn't really show up as a monster in any manual or on the wiki, so not a monster.

• The Truth is in here

Same thing, turrets, drones and tanks appear throughout ep.4. Anyway, pointless to argue about this. Main thing is we have the voxels. Who really cares about file directories? 😋

4388 some kind of bin with green goo. And this time, I made sure sides are brighter.

Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Dzierzan: 10 October 2020 - 04:25 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

It's full of vomit. Good piece.

User is offline   Jamesfff 

The freezer ammo sprite does what you see in the attached screenshot when the latest version of the voxel pack (Voxel Pack v1.3 pre-release #4) is in the autoload folder, with or without voxels on. If that goes on long enough the game crashes with a "too may spawns" error message. Rather annoying.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0000.png

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Can I get a download link for the cannon? I would love to be able to include it in the Demon Throne release in a few days. We use cannons on a ship that is very prominent in several levels.

View PostJamesfff, on 10 October 2020 - 03:14 PM, said:

The freezer ammo sprite does what you see in the attached screenshot when the latest version of the voxel pack (Voxel Pack v1.3 pre-release #4) is in the autoload folder, with or without voxels on. If that goes on long enough the game crashes with a "too may spawns" error message. Rather annoying.

Have you tried loading the voxel pack as a content folder? I usually load it that way and I have never had any problems at all with the freezer sprites. I say this as autoload usually glitches out on me eventually.

I could be wrong though but it is worth checking out. Maybe also try using the current master instead of the release.

@Danukem
It should be added soon to the Github, but if you're impatient, you can download it from my branch https://github.com/N...oxelpack/pull/4

jkas789: The readme with the voxel pack says "if it is not inside of a zipfile, EDuke32 will not run the voxel pack." How did you get it to run as a content folder?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDzierzan, on 10 October 2020 - 03:42 PM, said:

@Danukem
It should be added soon to the Github, but if you're impatient, you can download it from my branch https://github.com/N...oxelpack/pull/4

Thanks! I'm impatient because once the weekend is over I won't have much time, and the game releases mid-week.

View PostJamesfff, on 10 October 2020 - 03:46 PM, said:

jkas789: The readme with the voxel pack says "if it is not inside of a zipfile, EDuke32 will not run the voxel pack." How did you get it to run as a content folder?

It does work. I have been playing with it and other mods since I discovered it was a thing that way. The mod comes with def fules and everything.

I suppose that Nightfright and co added that so that end users who don’t know anything about Duke modding don’t potentially eff up sonething.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 10 October 2020 - 04:58 PM

Again, HOW do I get the pack to run as a content folder? Just putting the contents of the voxel pack straight into autoload or into a folder in autoload doesn't work. Nor will putting that folder into the main Duke3D directory and trying to load it via "Custom Game Content Directory" in the EDuke32 launcher.

View PostJamesfff, on 10 October 2020 - 05:55 PM, said:

Again, HOW do I get the pack to run as a content folder? Just putting the contents of the voxel pack straight into autoload or into a folder in autoload doesn't work. Nor will putting that folder into the main Duke3D directory and trying to load it via "Custom Game Content Directory" in the EDuke32 launcher.

Here is how I do things:

Step 1: Go to Duke 3D Voxel Pack Github and download the current master by clicking on the green button that says "Code" then selecting "Download ZIP".
Posted Image

Step 2: Create a folder on your eduke32 folder. Call it whatever you want. For this mini guide I'm using the name "VOXEL MOD"
Posted Image

Step 3: Unpack the contents of the zip archive you just downloaded into its own folder and then move them to the folder you just created in your eduke32 folder (eg "VOXEL MOD").
Posted Image

Step 4: Run eduke32 executable, select the GRP you are playing with and then click on the content folder drop window. Select the mod content folder you just created (again, in this case "VOXEL MOD"). Finally press start.
Posted Image

Step 5: Marvel at the beauty of voxels the community has created.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cry at the fact that Randy Pitchford is a piece of shit and the Duke Nukem franchise is effectively dead.

Extra steps if you are playing Duke Caribbean expansion:

Step 6: Open the content folder we created ("VOXEL MOD").
Posted Image

Open the file "duke3d_voxels.def" in the text editor of your choice.

Step 7: Look for the line " // include voxels/vacation.def ".
Posted Image

Posted ImageRemove the // so that it reads " include voxels/vacation.def ". Save and exit.

Step 8. Run the game. Enjoy Caribbean voxels. Keep in mind that if you want to play Duke Nukem 3D and the other expansions you should add the " // " so that the lines reads again " // include voxels/vacation.def ".

ALSO COULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO ADD IMAGES TO A POST LIKE THE REST OF THE COOL KIDS DO!!!! For the life of me I can't figure out how.

This post has been edited by Danukem: 10 October 2020 - 07:42 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postjkas789, on 10 October 2020 - 07:07 PM, said:

ALSO COULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO ADD IMAGES TO A POST LIKE THE REST OF THE COOL KIDS DO!!!! For the life of me I can't figure out how.

You copy a direct link to the image file (right clicking on the image gives the option in most browsers), then paste that link inside of [img] [/img] tags. I took the liberty with your post.

Thanks Danukem!

Share this topic:

• 84 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options