Duke 3D Voxel Pack

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Tripbomb (#2566) added to GitHub.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostBorion, on 16 April 2020 - 04:25 PM, said:

Posted Image

Thanks a bunch! It's such a subtle thing in-game, but it really makes the tripmines look much better.

User is offline   Borion 

View PostStriker, on 18 April 2020 - 12:11 AM, said:

Thanks a bunch! It's such a subtle thing in-game, but it really makes the tripmines look much better.

No problem! ;)

User is offline   Borion 

Chair3 (680-684)
Posted Image

• The Truth is in here

GitHub magic done.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Voxels: Pragmatic Player's Pack
Spoiler

User is offline   Borion 

Great stuff Leo, that had to be MASSIVE amount of work!
"Pragmatic Player's Pack" - Duke Nukem 3P? ;)

EDIT:
Please consider putting it on GitHub as PPP. There is bigger chance that those in need will find it. Only hardcore Build fans encounter this forum.

This post has been edited by Borion: 21 April 2020 - 12:25 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Virtue signal voxel pack.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostBorion, on 21 April 2020 - 12:20 PM, said:

Great stuff Leo, that had to be MASSIVE amount of work!
Just a small fraction of the work between 2012 and 2017 which I have put into the [user]maphacks. Preserving the outcome of those efforts was obviously the main intention to deal with all this stuff.

"Pragmatic Player's Pack" - Duke Nukem 3P? :)
Duke Nukem CLE
Spoiler

Please consider putting it on GitHub as PPP. There is bigger chance that those in need will find it. Only hardcore Build fans encounter this forum.
I hardly know anything yet about using Git or GitHub. Not sure if the few dozen files which are actually 'unique' really need their own repo. How do "those in need" find the original Voxel Pack in the first place? ;)
And who is left anyway except for the hardcore Build fans?

User is online   Phredreeke 

Can you describe what the patches you did to EDuke32 changed?

User is offline   Borion 

View PostLeoD, on 21 April 2020 - 03:59 PM, said:

I hardly know anything yet about using Git or GitHub. Not sure if the few dozen files which are actually 'unique' really need their own repo. How do "those in need" find the original Voxel Pack in the first place? ;)

GitHub is not only repo "warehouse". It is vast network of people, knowledge and projects. By sharing something in there, you make it easy(er) to find it for other people(i.e. by tags), let them analyse its content and possibly use it or learn from it. Think of it as social media without crap photos & stroking ego...pure intellectual exchange platform. I found there so many invaluable tools and projects over the years I would have hard time counting them all. So i.e. in 10 years some underaged ambitious kid might find your stuff and learn from it, long after obscure threads from this forum or even we are gone. Look how hard it is for fresh members of this community to learn things like weapon modding or con scripting. People have to exchange zip files with archived web pages from Google wayback machine...it is crazy how quickly knowledge can evaporate in tech age. Especially knowledge involving niche 90s FPS game modding :)
I think it would be better if most if not all Duke4 projects would be moved to GitHub. There are no downsides to it, IMO.

EDIT:

View PostLeoD, on 21 April 2020 - 03:59 PM, said:

Gamers that were growing up in 90s, retrogaming geeks & 90's 16 bit art fans...I now for a fact, there are MANY people that would want to use Build mods, maps, create content and use sth like Eduke32 in general. But lack of visibility of this community is limiting its presence in modern gaming world. I think assumption that "those that really care will find us this way or another" is wrong. Discord, Twitter, GitHub...thats where it all happens nowadays. And to all those hating those platforms, it is not same as f****ng Facebook or Instagram, you like it or not.

This post has been edited by Borion: 22 April 2020 - 01:41 AM

User is offline   Borion 

Coming soon

Posted Image

Posted Image

• The Truth is in here

Both on GitHub now, including adjustments for E4L5 maphacks.

Side note:
It seems we are experiencing issues with #670/671 (faucet) when it's animated. IIRC in the original maps this one is not animated, so it may not be a problem in the classic episodes. However, if it is used, it apparently looks like this:

Posted Image

Whether this can be resolved via maphacks is unknown at this point. I have involved LeoD in the investigation process, so let's see.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 22 April 2020 - 04:15 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostPhredreeke, on 21 April 2020 - 07:52 PM, said:

View PostNightFright, on 22 April 2020 - 04:12 AM, said:

I have involved LeoD in the investigation process, so let's see.
post-releasegasm fatigue + RealLife = please be patient

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostNightFright, on 22 April 2020 - 04:12 AM, said:

Both on GitHub now, including adjustments for E4L5 maphacks.

Side note:
It seems we are experiencing issues with #670/671 (faucet) when it's animated. IIRC in the original maps this one is not animated, so it may not be a problem in the classic episodes. However, if it is used, it apparently looks like this:

Posted Image

Whether this can be resolved via maphacks is unknown at this point. I have involved LeoD in the investigation process, so let's see.

That just looks like one of the voxels is missing it's pivots. The voxel will need to be fixed. Maphacks won't help here.

This post has been edited by Striker: 22 April 2020 - 11:59 AM

User is offline   Borion 

View PostStriker, on 22 April 2020 - 11:58 AM, said:

That just looks like one of the voxels is missing it's pivots. The voxel will need to be fixed. Maphacks won't help here.

Striker, it's not like I have not made some stupid mistakes in the past but this is not one of those times ;)

EDIT:
I replaced my props.def & duke3d_voxels.def with one from GitHub. Now it works. My edits for unfinished models had to screw up something. Sorry guys!

+1 on the list of stupid mistakes

This post has been edited by Borion: 22 April 2020 - 12:21 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Issue not confirmed. Minimal setup: duke3d.grp, eduke32.debug.exe r8871, Voxel Pack repository zipped into empty autoload. Both Polymost and Classic are OK.

View PostPhredreeke, on 21 April 2020 - 07:52 PM, said:

If the information provided in the binary's 7z archive (txt, patch, cpp) seems insufficient, please bump again.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 22 April 2020 - 12:32 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

Thankyou for continuously making high quality voxels!

• The Truth is in here

So if I understood correctly, the watertap issue happened because Borion did not use all files from the repo. Standing down from red alert, then.

And Lunick is right, ofc: Borion is doing a fantastic job, just like the others who contributed. It's rare to still see people with such a high creative output, and without it, the whole project would not be where it is now. I never even thought we would get the pickups completed, and look what we got now. Over 200 voxels in the entire pack!

This post has been edited by NightFright: 22 April 2020 - 10:55 PM

User is offline   SonicB00M 

Yeah, it's totally surreal seeing Duke3D with more voxels than Blood and SW. Even more surreal because the voxels' quality vastly exceeds the official ones! I visit this thread almost daily to marvel at the new noxels, which breathe more and more life into the game ;)

User is offline   Borion 

As always, thanks for kind words people! :)

Over 200 voxels in the entire pack!

And we are not done yet! ;)

gumballmachine (4458-4459)
Appears on E4M3, no corrections needed.
Posted Image

User is offline   Borion 

Some time ago there was discussion if making voxel enemies is good idea. Chillo, a super talented 3D modeller and since few weeks also a voxel enthusiast, made all basic frames for zombie in Blood.
Check out this gameplay video:
https://twitter.com/...4869238785?s=20

I had to look on the floor for my jaw.

User is online   Mark 

I waited almost a minute and the "loading wheel" didn't stop spinning so I couldn't watch the clip

• The Truth is in here

Gumball machine now on GitHub.

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostBorion, on 23 April 2020 - 06:18 AM, said:

Some time ago there was discussion if making voxel enemies is good idea. Chillo, a super talented 3D modeller and since few weeks also a voxel enthusiast, made all basic frames for zombie in Blood.
Check out this gameplay video:
https://twitter.com/...4869238785?s=20

I had to look on the floor for my jaw.

DO IT!!!!!!!!

XD

User is offline   Dzierzan 

I prefer him not doing any voxel enemies. They feel out of place apart from non organic enemies like drones, tanks. I just feel like a voxel enemy loses a lot of details. Even if it's a sprite with depth. Besides that also means you'd have to make voxels for every possible actor animation in the game, that's insane amount of work!

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I think voxel enemies could be cool if done right, but I would say the wisest focus would be decorations/scenery. Just my two cents.

User is online   Phredreeke 

Agree, I'd rather Borion do Vaca/DN64/mod weapon pickups.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Duke 64 would be troublesome, given the palette problem.

User is offline   Borion 

That link was posted as proof of concept. You made it clear guys that You don't want/need voxelized enemies and as Dzierzan said, it would be insane amount of work.

There is only one enemy that I'm sure I will voxelize - Pigcop Car. I can't stand how flat it looks while hovering in place & shooting. In this one moment when whole illusion of mass is gone. I think due to the height in relation to ground level and length of "car". Contrary to Cacodemon or Gargoyle from Blood, this one has not optimal shape for 2.5D trickery, IMO.

I won't forgo work on props, there are still at least 20-30 objects that need voxelization. Just pipes in all variations are 15 models. I think I will take care of few more objects and take a break for a while. By break I mean making i.e. Duke64 or Caribbean stuff ;)

Fox, what do you mean by palette issues? 3DR used different palette for N64 port?

EDIt: typos

This post has been edited by Borion: 27 April 2020 - 04:52 AM

Share this topic:

• 84 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options