• 42 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mapster32 problems and bugs  "Please post them exclusively here"

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

It's always been like that unfortunately. Sometimes it's more obvious than other times, and it can be very frustrating.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Sounds like a bug, can you do a test map?

User is offline   Mark 

Here is a simple test map. 1 sector, 1 SE49 light. As you move the light up and down you can see the odd behavior on floor, wall and ceiling. Using version 2862. Texture 757.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0005.jpg

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Nukey 

After dumping a map with the dndebug cheat, sprites with picnum 1026 (HORSEONSIDE) are morphed into picnum 904 (WOODENHORSE). Not sure why this happens, but it seems inaccurate and was messing me up.

edit: Nevermind, Fox informed me that this is another one of those actor picnums that is replaced by a different actor at load. Still trips me up though, I would have thought that dndebug would dump based on sprite frames, but I suppose since this is multiframe and depends on the player's perspective, it just outright replaces it with the source actor...

This post has been edited by Nukey: 14 August 2012 - 05:47 PM

User is offline   underTaker 

Theres one annoying bug in Mapster32 related to sector rotation using SHIFT key. Whole sector is messed up when rotating.

It happens always. Select the sector with Right ALT, then rotate it a little bit with < or > arrows. You will see some points of the sector gets messed up. It looks like this:

Posted Image

Selected sector is rotated one, and the one above is original.
Mapster Version: r2937.

This post has been edited by underTaker: 20 August 2012 - 04:17 AM

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostNukey, on 12 August 2012 - 10:13 AM, said:

Have the keyboard scancodes been changed in Mapster32? That would explain why a lot of my keys weren't working until I disabled my remapping.

Scancodes come pretty much directly from the keyboard, so they don't really change. What kind of remapping are you referring to?

View PostNukey, on 12 August 2012 - 01:13 PM, said:

REACTOR (#1088) and REACTOR2 (#578) are missing from the multiplayer-only (pal > 0) list in eduke32.

You mean they are supposed to disappear in a single-player game when pal'd but they stay in EDuke32? I don't see anything to that effect in the Duke 1.5 sources, but then I haven't run an experiment.

View PostunderTaker, on 20 August 2012 - 04:16 AM, said:

Theres one annoying bug in Mapster32 related to sector rotation using SHIFT key. Whole sector is messed up when rotating.

It happens always. Select the sector with Right ALT, then rotate it a little bit with < or > arrows. You will see some points of the sector gets messed up.

Yep, rotating sectors in tiny bits like this is going to accumulate rounding error really fast! With r2942, rotating highlighted sectors will display you an angle in the status bar, so you can first do a preview, and then (after undoing the rotation, or deleting the sectors in case they were duplicated), carry it out for real by entering that value into the new Alt+[,] dialog (with the original sectors highlighted).

User is offline   Nukey 

View PostHelixhorned, on 20 August 2012 - 01:33 PM, said:

Scancodes come pretty much directly from the keyboard, so they don't really change. What kind of remapping are you referring to?

My config file used to have a remapping set up because a lot of my keys wouldn't function in mapster32. Since upgrading to the latest version, my keys stopped working, and it was only after I removed the remapping that they started functioning again. I suspected the default scancodes mapster32 looks for have changed.

Edit: They had to have changed at some point. I can confirm by using an older version and the newest version with the same keyboard, no remapping applied. In the newest version, the " ] " key functions normally. In the older version, the " ] " key functions as the " [ " key instead. I can't think of any other explanation other than the different versions of mapster32 interpreting the same keyboard scancodes in two different ways.

View PostHelixhorned, on 20 August 2012 - 01:33 PM, said:

You mean they are supposed to disappear in a single-player game when pal'd but they stay in EDuke32? I don't see anything to that effect in the Duke 1.5 sources, but then I haven't run an experiment.

When I first noticed something amiss about the reactors in my recent pal test, I went back and checked my InfoSuite and found that I had them listed there as well, which means I had documented this behaviour during two separate rounds of testing. I'll do a third right now just to be certain. Yep. Thrice confirmed.

This post has been edited by Nukey: 20 August 2012 - 05:26 PM

User is offline   Nukey 

Using HANDHOLDINGLASER 2563 with an Automatic Shooter crashes the game as soon as the shooter is activated.

• Honored Donor

I somehow tagged all the sectors in an area as water sectors. Is there a quick way to untag them?

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostNukey, on 27 August 2012 - 07:00 PM, said:

Using HANDHOLDINGLASER 2563 with an Automatic Shooter crashes the game as soon as the shooter is activated.

I fixed that a while ago BTW, but it's clearly an unsupported feature: the original maps don't contain such a shooter.

View PostMicky C, on 17 September 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

I somehow tagged all the sectors in an area as water sectors. Is there a quick way to untag them?

If there's an easy way to highlight these sectors, do that and then enter
for i selsectors, set sector[i].lotag 0

from the console.

User is offline   Arwu 

Hi ;) similiar question :P. Is there a way to quickly change ceilings/floors height of all highlightened sectors ? :P Im need something like this :l

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

for i selsectors, set sector[i].floorz <value>
for i selsectors, set sector[i].ceilingz <value>

This will arbitrarily set the values. If you want to do something like press PGUP on all the sectors a few times (in a relative fashion) you could write code to get the value into a gamevar, add the increment, then set it again.

http://wiki.eduke32....ructure_members

Also, before you work with M32script, be sure to back up your map in case you do something wrong.

User is offline   Mark 

View PostMarked, on 13 August 2012 - 03:50 PM, said:

Here is a simple test map. 1 sector, 1 SE49 light. As you move the light up and down you can see the odd behavior on floor, wall and ceiling. Using version 2862. Texture 757.

I identified the problem from my earlier post on this page. ( # 873 ) When I re-made the normal map texture, the SE light displays properly. I'm going to assume ;) that the other affected textures have the same normal map problem, whatever it is..

This post has been edited by Marked: 30 September 2012 - 05:27 AM

User is offline   Nukey 

Came across a strange issue with an airlock effect. I have two separate builds of the effect included in the test map.

In the top one, you can't submerge into the water. But in the bottom one, you can.

Maybe I am just missing something obvious here, but I see no reason why one should work and the other shouldn't; The SE7s in both versions are at the exact same height, the water-textured floors and ceilings are at the exact same height and tagged correctly, and the SE31s/SE32s in both airlock sectors are at the exact same height, and the same respective angles.

I found that the non-functioning water sector can be fixed by raising the above-water SE7 to match the height of the SE31, but this fix should not be necessary. Is this an actual bug or am I just not seeing something in plain sight here?

Attached File  test.zip (2.68K)
Number of downloads: 216

This post has been edited by Nukey: 04 October 2012 - 09:29 PM

User is offline   Diaz 

I don't know if this is a bug or not. I have a map with two TROR areas that were connected by a non-TROR hallway. At some point I deleted that hallway to make a more interesting connecting area, leaving 2 unconnected TROR areas. After connecting them again, the fake TROR texture is always visible, even when I press "i". I can still work on the map, but it's annoying. Everything looks right ingame.

• Honored Donor

Have you tried different renderers? It's a long shot but sometimes polymer lights can cause the texture to always show. Otherwise hopefully plagman or helix can help.

User is offline   Diaz 

It seems like new bunches I'm creating work correctly (the RoR texture doesn't show), but it's still permanent on older bunches ;)

User is offline   Diaz 

Alright, fixed - for some reason, all of my TROR ceilings and floors were set to "masked" with no actual "true" texture on them - but the ROR texture was applied, as if it was a true texture instead of a fake one. It even showed on the clipboard. Weird.

This post has been edited by Diaz: 07 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostNukey, on 04 October 2012 - 09:28 PM, said:

Came across a strange issue with an airlock effect. I have two separate builds of the effect included in the test map.

In the top one, you can't submerge into the water. But in the bottom one, you can.

Sigh, yet another dependence on the order in which the effector setups are run that existed since DOS Duke. SE7s are supposed to teleport from/into water only if the SE is at the height of the floor, and that property is established at premap. ;)

EDIT: if that was too cryptic, the "solution" is to swap the relative order of the SE7 and the SE31, in this case by deleting the SE31 and reinserting it again.

• Honored Donor

This bug has been around since TROR began and it's really annoying, don't know why I never mentioned it before. When you create a bounded hight with ctrl-r to edit things in, if there's a red wall on which the other side is blanked out as a result of the height boundary, if you start drawing walls from a point along that red line, you're unable to complete the action to make a sector.

Also, on the latest mapster32 3087, there's an offset between where the grid looks like it is and where the points will insert. Merely open up mapster32, switch to the largest grid size, and start drawing a wall to see what I'm talking about.

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostMicky C, on 15 October 2012 - 02:38 AM, said:

This bug has been around since TROR began and it's really annoying, don't know why I never mentioned it before. When you create a bounded hight with ctrl-r to edit things in, if there's a red wall on which the other side is blanked out as a result of the height boundary, if you start drawing walls from a point along that red line, you're unable to complete the action to make a sector.

Could you provide an example map demonstrating this? I vaguely understand what you're talking about, but it's been so long since I implemented this functionality that I don't have an intuition of working practically with it.

Also, on the latest mapster32 3087, there's an offset between where the grid looks like it is and where the points will insert. Merely open up mapster32, switch to the largest grid size, and start drawing a wall to see what I'm talking about.

I can't reproduce this here, but I haven't tried the synthesis build yet.

User is offline   Mark 

I'm running ver 3104 and do not have the problem. ( the second problem )

This post has been edited by Marked: 03 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

• Honored Donor

Here you go. I also found out that this 'bug' only happens when the sector adjacent to the TROR sector is raised (or lowered if it's on the ceiling) so that the TROR sector is completely excluded from the editing range. This might happen for normal sectors as well.
Restrict the editing to the sector you start out in, and try drawing a line from the child tror sector to a corner of the room, it won't make a wall, it just inserts a point and keeps on going.

Btw I'd like to throw a few requests out there:
When inserting child sectors into valid player space, the paste doesn't work if the inserted sector is touching a wall in the map. It would be useful to be able to paste sectors even though they might have a wall or two overlapping a wall that's already in the map. For example, if I wanted to paste a box adjacent to another box so that they're sharing a wall. This would be very useful for making repeating geometry.

A bunch of us TROR mappers were wondering if it is possible to increase the limit of the number of bunches. For example, Zaxtor actually hit the limit. So far it hasn't been a problem but it's likely that at some point in the future someone might make a really insane TROR map and need the bigger limit.

Is the sector cutting tool still on the todo list? There's still the bug that sometimes it creates a small offset of where it's meant to be by a length of 1. So that it's ever so slightly off the point on the grid. This is a problem for red walled sectors too because sometimes it inserts 2 points instead of 1: One of them is in the right place, but the second one is slightly off, creating a small wall with length 1.

As for the grid offset thing I mentioned in a previous post, I don't know what happened, but it'l back to normal in the latest eduke. And I was starting to get used to it too Posted Image

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  bug.zip (395bytes)
    Number of downloads: 193

User is offline   Arwu 

I have this problem once (walls and verticles not properly on grid) when I wanted to expand editor size by change max size to some bad amount

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostMicky C, on 03 November 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

Here you go. I also found out that this 'bug' only happens when the sector adjacent to the TROR sector is raised (or lowered if it's on the ceiling) so that the TROR sector is completely excluded from the editing range. This might happen for normal sectors as well.
Restrict the editing to the sector you start out in, and try drawing a line from the child tror sector to a corner of the room, it won't make a wall, it just inserts a point and keeps on going.

Fixed in r3112, thanks for the test map.

A bunch of us TROR mappers were wondering if it is possible to increase the limit of the number of bunches. For example, Zaxtor actually hit the limit. So far it hasn't been a problem but it's likely that at some point in the future someone might make a really insane TROR map and need the bigger limit.

This is planned for the new map format.

(emphasis added)
Is the sector cutting tool still on the todo list? There's still the bug that sometimes it creates a small offset of where it's meant to be by a length of 1. So that it's ever so slightly off the point on the grid. This is a problem for red walled sectors too because sometimes it inserts 2 points instead of 1: One of them is in the right place, but the second one is slightly off, creating a small wall with length 1.

Well, batch-inserting points with pressing ENTER after having drawn some lines can be seen as a prototype cutting tool. What's "it"?

• Honored Donor

- holding down the left mouse button for scaling, or
- the right mouse button for rotating the highlighted walls/sprites

Posted Image
I can tell this is going to be a very useful set of tools. Thankyou!

"It" in bold was refering to the line cutter that inserts points when you press enter. I know it's a prototype, I just wasn't sure if you were aware of the bugs in its current state or not.

User is offline   tomo 

whenever i start mapster32 it just doesnt work .any idea

Attached File(s)

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View Posttomo, on 05 November 2012 - 05:41 AM, said:

whenever i start mapster32 it just doesnt work .any idea
Copy duke3d.grp into your Mapster folder.

User is offline   tomo 

View PostLeoD, on 05 November 2012 - 10:44 AM, said:

Copy duke3d.grp into your Mapster folder.

I done that like you pointed out it was because my duke3d.grp had an extra (.grp) thanks again

User is offline   fgsfds 

What happened with sprites in 2d mode?

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0000.png

Share this topic:

• 42 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options