Duke4.net Forums: Polymer public builds errors/issues - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Polymer public builds errors/issues

User is offline   wafee 

I have a trouble with last eduke32_win32_20091015-1531 build. Seems I have missing some HRP textures. In the eduke32_win32_20091004-1526 build its all working Ok.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by wafee: 15 October 2009 - 10:06 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View Postwafee, on Oct 16 2009, 07:06 AM, said:

I have a trouble with last eduke32_win32_20091015-1531 build. Seems I have missing some HRP textures. In the eduke32_win32_20091004-1526 build its all working Ok.

(quoting pictures is dumb)

The Radeon X1950 can't run Polymer correctly, thats why your model looks all weird. I had the same issue when I tried it with my old X1950, you need to turn Polymer off.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 15 October 2009 - 10:17 PM

User is offline   wafee 

Yes I have old AGP Radeon X1950 Pro but I don't think that problem in my card. I can run Polymer fine with eduke32_win32_20091004-1526 build without any errors or missing textures. It's something change in last eduke32 Polymer build.

User is offline   Mateos 

View PostMateos, on Oct 4 2009, 03:23 PM, said:

I hope I'm in the correct thread, I've a problem with polymer...

When I start a new game I have all polymer lights effects, with the red light of CINEMA etc. But when I load a game already saved, I loose these effects, and just have Fire and Atomic Health lightning, why?

Thanks.

So, what's wrong? :o

User is offline   NY00123 

To Mateos, the following could be a cause for the game saving issue (quoted from the "Polymer build publicly released" thread):

Plagman said:

Loading a save game doesn't restore static lights as of right now, so this is expected.

User is offline   Mateos 

View PostNY00123, on Oct 16 2009, 05:06 PM, said:

To Mateos, the following could be a cause for the game saving issue (quoted from the "Polymer build publicly released" thread):

Ok, thx NY :o

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

View Postwafee, on Oct 16 2009, 03:46 PM, said:

Yes I have old AGP Radeon X1950 Pro but I don't think that problem in my card. I can run Polymer fine with eduke32_win32_20091004-1526 build without any errors or missing textures. It's something change in last eduke32 Polymer build.

Are you saying that the graphical problems you captured 100% reproduce with 1531 but never with 1526? If so, it's pretty scary since no real change to the rendering code happened between these two revisions. Can you try 1533 that I just built?

User is offline   wafee 

I just tried run the new eduke32_current and 1533 and all remained unchanged. I don't know but maybe it's happen because of changes in the file a.m32. Below pic from 1526 build, the shadow, lighting and so are looking perfect.
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by wafee: 17 October 2009 - 04:22 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I finally solved the skybox problem under Polymer in my map that I posted about earlier. As you know, the parallax sky can only display one skybox for the whole map. It is supposed to change all of the sector's skyboxes to whichever was the last texture selected. For some reason that was not working in my map. No matter what texture I chose it would still display the same improperly tiled 99 redsky texture. Since the sky texture was changed a few times during the months of creating the map I decided to go over EVERY SINGLE SECTOR and make sure I pasted in the same sky texture in each one. After more than 200 or so changes, all of a sudden the proper skybox returned. For some reason the renderer was locking on to that one sector's skybox texture and would not let go. Between the above procedure and editing defs and changing textures I must have spent at least 10 hours over the last 2 weeks to figure this one out. :o

And the problem of the lo-res display in Mapster under Polymer just disappeared one day and has not returned. I have no idea what caused that one but as long as its gone now I won't worry about it.

I downloaded and installed the latest Eduke version today and no issues so far of any kind.

Alt+C Replace all "same" tiles with clipboard tile.

This probably could have saved you a lot of time providing you new which sky texture was giving you the problems. Simply change a texture (wouldn't matter which, cause you can change it after) to the sky texture that was giving you problems, TAB your replacement sky texture and ALT + C on your old one you just made.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 17 October 2009 - 04:04 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Thanks for the tip. I'm sure it will come in handy in the future. I was moving and clicking so fast I didn't catch which sector had the texture that was hanging up the map.

Minor problem when using PolyMost, happens on sector ceiling and floor. Not always noticable (in fact I had forgotten about it until it became blatantly obvious today) basically it is as if the floor/ceiling is semi-transparent.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: SmallProblem.PNG

User is offline   Sobek 

• There's coffee in that nebula!

View PostHigh Treason, on Oct 19 2009, 04:06 AM, said:

Minor problem when using PolyMost, happens on sector ceiling and floor. Not always noticable (in fact I had forgotten about it until it became blatantly obvious today) basically it is as if the floor/ceiling is semi-transparent.

I've had that for about a year now. My friend always thought it was an actual graphical feature.

I'd forgotten about it though :o

User is offline   wafee 

I finally solved my problem with graphical issue. The case was in the ATI Catalyst 9.3 drivers. I have installed Catalyst 9.1 and now it's run properly.

View Postwafee, on Oct 25 2009, 06:39 PM, said:

I finally solved my problem with graphical issue. The case was in the ATI Catalyst 9.3 drivers. I have installed Catalyst 9.1 and now it's run properly.

Yes, the latest ATI drivers seem to break compatibility on the older ATI cards. On my HD card I get a completely different graphical error to what you get at times, though turning off texture caching fixes that.

User is offline   Stabs 

fire manages to light up sprites through walls, even though the fire is not affecting the walls in the room where the sprite is.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Yes, we know. It's apparently not something that's easy to accurately fix.

User is offline   Sangman 

Repost from WGR2 thread:

I can run it (the eduke32.exe of WGR2) on my laptop, however I get a lot of screen flickering for some reason and I can't capture it on a screenshot.

My log:

EDuke32 2.0.0devel 20091106
addsearchpath(): Added C:/WGR2/
Loading opengl32.dll
Loading glu32.dll
Initializing DirectDraw...
Using config file 'eduke32.cfg'.
Scanning for GRP files...
Found no recognized GRP files!
addsearchpath(): Added C:/WGR2/WGR2_EP1/
Warning: could not find main group file 'duke3d.grp'!
Using group file 'WGR2_EP1/WGR2.GRP'.
Compiling: EDUKE.CON (20 bytes)
Including: WGR2GAME.CON (653983 bytes)
Using DEF file: wgr2.def.
Wrote eduke32.cfg
Wrote eduke32_binds.cfg
Using config file 'WGR2_EP1/wgr2.cfg'.
Including: WGR2DEFS.CON (62658 bytes)
Including: WGR2USER.CON (70418 bytes)
WGR2GAME.CON: In state `raincode':
WGR2GAME.CON:9510: warning: found `ifsound' outside of a local event.
WGR2GAME.CON:9511: warning: found `ifsound' outside of a local event.
WGR2GAME.CON: In actor `LSTRIKE':
WGR2GAME.CON:18502: warning: found `ifsound' outside of a local event.
WGR2GAME.CON:18502: warning: found `ifsound' outside of a local event.
WGR2GAME.CON:18510: warning: found `ifsound' outside of a local event.
Found 5 warning(s), 0 error(s).
Resizing code buffer to 90549*4 bytes
Relocating compiled code from to 0x7e750008 to 0xf5b2088
Script compiled in 60ms
Compiled code size: 90541*4 bytes, version 1.4+
Pointer bitmap size: 11319 bytes
2960/11264 labels, 502/2048 variables
354/16384 quotes, 0 quote redefinitions
44/88 event definitions, 357 defined actors
Initialized 32.0M cache
Loading 'wgr2.def'
Definitions file 'wgr2.def' loaded.
RTS file DUKE.RTS was not found
Initializing OSD...
Switching kb layout from 00000813 to 00000409
Initializing DirectInput...
- Enumerating attached input devices
* MOUSE: Mouse
* KEYBOARD: Keyboard
Executing "WGR2_EP1/wgr2_binds.cfg"
Setting video mode 1024x768 (32-bit fullscreen)
OpenGL Information:
Version: 2.1.2
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer: GeForce GTX 260M/PCI/SSE2
Initializing music...
Initializing sound...
CONLOGVAR: L=536 grasscount (Global) =6036
Cache time: 805ms
E1L1: NEXUS
Saved screenshot to duke0002.tga
SCREEN SAVED
UDP networking uninitialized successfully.

Uninitializing DirectInput...
Wrote WGR2_EP1/wgr2.cfg
Wrote WGR2_EP1/wgr2_binds.cfg
Uninitializing DirectDraw...

The flickering gets worse as I decrease resolution.

Any ideas?

edit: toyed around with it and setting the affinity of eduke32.exe to use only one CPU (CPU0) decreases the flickering but it still isn't quite right. I don't get this issue in any other game so I don't think the issue is with my processor..

This post has been edited by Sangman: 11 November 2009 - 01:22 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Just an uneducated guess. Try turning the vsync option in the rendering setup menu on and off and see if one way is better than the other. Otherwise I have no other suggestions.

No effect. Perhaps the problem is with nVidia's driver (GTX 260M on Windows 7 64-bit) but there aren't any newer ones out yet.

edit:

Just made a video of what happens - you may not be able to view it until it's processed but here goes nothing :)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=KlBAIa9gTEo

edit 2:

Just discovered the flickering stops when I play the game Windowed.

This post has been edited by Sangman: 12 November 2009 - 11:30 AM

Nothing?

User is offline   Mark 

Enjoy the game in windowed mode :)

How well do previous versions of eduke run as compared to the WGR2 version? Any difference?

• el fundador

Which driver are you using? There are plenty that will support your configuration if you use a modified version of the driver's .inf file. That's a pretty screwed up problem, really, but nothing was changed in EDuke32 that would cause something like that to happen. :) Can you verify nothing like this happens in any other games/hardware artifact testing tools show nothing?

I hate to jump straight to "your hardware is broken" every time some crazy issue like this comes up, but I think the count of times when something like this was actually EDuke32's fault is exactly 0 currently. Not that I know anything about the internals of the rendering systems in EDuke32, but I know Plagman more than likely writes code to the letter of the GL spec.

This is my current driver:
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/notebook_wi...81_whql_uk.html

Can you verify nothing like this happens in any other games/hardware artifact testing tools show nothing?

I don't have this problem in any other game that I've played so far, no idea which testing tool I need to use.

TBH I doubt that my hardware is broken if I can run recent games at full details and high resolution.

• el fundador

Try one of these drivers, with one of the modded infs: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/159...river-releases/

Alright, installed the driver and Duke ran without flickering so I guess it's fixed! Thanks a bunch :)

This post has been edited by Sangman: 14 November 2009 - 09:29 AM

• el fundador

No problem dude.

User is offline   Piano Man 

View PostSobek, on Oct 14 2009, 02:52 PM, said:

Posted Image

Mind if I ask what mod that is - because it looks FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!

User is offline   Sobek 

• There's coffee in that nebula!

View PostPiano Man, on Nov 15 2009, 01:15 PM, said:

Mind if I ask what mod that is - because it looks FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!

I wouldn't really call it a mod - it's basically something I work on when I'm in a bit of slump with my other project. It's good for testing out various effects or models & lighting and all that jazz. I explained it a bit here with some other shots;

http://forums.duke4.net/index.php?showtopi...amp;#entry27974

That transparency issue is still around too FYI :)

User is offline   supergoofy 

please delete

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 28 November 2009 - 04:29 PM

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options