Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   Mark 

I remember sometime during the year following Spookem's closure I started Polymerizing and organizing some models for one of the maps. Then after searching online for something Spookem related I remembered that somebody released the same map as a standalone mod earlier so I stopped work. <_< I think it was the Dracula's Castle map.

This post has been edited by Mark: 04 February 2022 - 01:40 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

So much work went into that with the enemies and sprites and coding work to get them to have original behaviours.

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostMark, on 04 February 2022 - 11:26 AM, said:

I remember sometime during the year following Spookem's closure I started Polymerizing and organizing some models for one of the maps. Then after searching online for something Spookem related I remembered that somebody released the same map as a standalone mod earlier so I stopped work. <_< I think it was the Dracula's Castle map.

yeah that was my map, I released it because I finished it lol

User is offline   Aleks 

Still requires quite some lighting/shading around, but I'm quite happy about the colours in here...
Attached Image: duke0091.png Attached Image: duke0092.png

User is offline   Maarten 

Just wanted to say hi, since I've been building lately... :)
Not much worth to share yet, but here a screenshot to give you a vision what AAP3 will be like... :)

====

Nice to see there is still lots of activity here! Aleks, that looks unique! I guess the colours will be even better when shading is there :)
Mark, I gotta love those new textures

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0004.png

User is online   ck3D 

Wow, that's one of my favorite indoor designs I've ever seen from you, shading and tones are perfect. Are those catacombs of any kind perhaps? Kind of looks like some (but maybe that's because I've made some before using similar aesthetics all the way down to the texture set, just with more disgracious palettes). Super excited about this new entry in the series, still a big fan of the first two installments. Have fun with whatever is left to make!

User is offline   jimbob 

almost done with this particular map, finally. time to think of where to go next, maybe a trainride? had to get back into the swing of things due to some personall things going on, but with the help of mark things are progressing again, wich is nice.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0000.png

User is offline   jimbob 

whoops

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0001.png

User is offline   Mark 

I hate when that happens.

User is offline   jimbob 

fleshing out basic training with people doing... basic training.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0000.png

This post has been edited by jimbob: 15 February 2022 - 01:51 PM

User is offline   Aleks 

Tomorrow (Saturday 2022-02-19) at 20:00 GMT I'm gonna make a Twitch stream (that is if I figure how to set it up...) of a mapping session with some commentary. I'll make a quick tour mostly around the outside part of the map I'm currently working on, then design some particular location in it - I'll try to make it not too tedious/boring for the audience. I'm planning for about 1,5 hour of mapping. I'll post the link on Discord in #level-design before the event. Here's a quick 2D look of the current state of the map:
Attached Image: capt0008.png

User is offline   jimbob 

that looks really interresting :)

User is online   ck3D 

View PostAleks, on 18 February 2022 - 01:31 PM, said:

Tomorrow (Saturday 2022-02-19) at 20:00 GMT I'm gonna make a Twitch stream (that is if I figure how to set it up...) of a mapping session with some commentary. I'll make a quick tour mostly around the outside part of the map I'm currently working on, then design some particular location in it - I'll try to make it not too tedious/boring for the audience. I'm planning for about 1,5 hour of mapping. I'll post the link on Discord in #level-design before the event. Here's a quick 2D look of the current state of the map:
Attachment capt0008.png

That's great, I will be tuning in!

User is offline   Aleks 

Due to some weird shit going on with my microphone and Twitch generally being a bitch, I ended up streaming on Google Meet - tune in if you're interested: https://meet.google....li=1&authuser=0

@Maarten: I hope AAP3 is coming along okay; based on the stuff in AAP2 regarding Slot Loevestein, I'm guessing that AAP3 will take place somewhere in that general area.

As for me...well, I've still been working on Mario Kart 64 TOWN and the Battle for Walls rages on. I've still been adding more businesses and such (H.S.I.O. Wednesday's, Joint International Assistance Mission, etc.) to the map, in spite of having run out of good ideas long ago. (For example, there are two places called the "House of Lies". One just exists to troll the player; the other contains something important (and also exists to troll the player).) There's a lot of stuff I haven't gotten around to texturing yet; I've been using texture #182 as a placeholder.
By the way, I cranked up the global visibility in Mapster's classic renderer for these screenshots; I know that renderer is thoroughly eating shit in some of the screenshots, but I used it anyway because I wanted stuff to be visible here that's beyond Polymer's draw distance.
Screen #1 shows the entrance to the Tourist Center; since it's just in front of where the player starts, it's probably one of the first places the player will visit; also, there's a transmission tower/antenna-type thing there (which is near the northwest corner of the map, by the way) that will probably be a significant landmark in the map.
Screen #2 shows a close-up of the top of the tower from screen #1 (closer than the player will ever get when playing the map); also visible is a big dish-type thing in the distance that was in earlier screenshots I've posted.
Screen #3 shows a view from the big park-type area in the center of the map, looking roughly southeast.
Screen #4 shows a closer view of some of the businesses on the east side of the central park-type area; the castle-type building in the southeast corner of the map is visible here.
Screen #5 shows a view just a bit to the south of where screen #4 was, looking roughly southward.
Screen #6 shows part of the interior of the St. Cedric Memorial Church from screen #5.
Screen #7 is near the castle in the southeast corner of the map, looking roughly northwest.
Screen #8 is along an east-west road along the south side of the map, looking roughly east-northeast-ish.
Screen #9 is north of the castle and east of one of the "House of Lies" buildings, looking roughly southwest.
Screen #10 is north of where screen #9 was taken, above the north end of a north-south ravine-type structure that runs along the east side of the map.
Screen #11 is slightly west of where screen #10 was taken, looking roughly west-southwest-ish; the transmission tower near the northwest corner of the map is visible here.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0001.png
  • Attached Image: capt0002.png
  • Attached Image: capt0003.png
  • Attached Image: capt0004.png
  • Attached Image: capt0005.png
  • Attached Image: capt0006.png
  • Attached Image: capt0007.png
  • Attached Image: capt0008.png
  • Attached Image: capt0009.png
  • Attached Image: capt0010.png

User is online   ck3D 

Love your creativity and direction, ToiletDuck64.

Here are two screenshots of two different maps I started this and last week respectively, first one is a very meager start (I only sunk in a couple hours) of what I intend to be a Blast Radius secret map, but I'm posting it outside that thread because more people might recognize something in it, it's bound to change a lot but I think I want to use more Atomic Edition textures in it than usual (would make sense as an exception in the set after all). Second one is something stupid I drew in thirty minutes that may or may not go somewhere as a speed map kind of like Salvage Title was, 3D mode is actually fully designed in terms of structure and textures (it's supposed to be a smaller level), you just don't really get to see it here.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: ac4remix01.png
  • Attached Image: dopefishbrothx.png

User is offline   dandouglas 

Building a tribute to North London's legendary Rowans bowling alley for my mod https://youtu.be/_0MYZXTkRNk

User is offline   jimbob 

working on a destroyed city, very early in production

Attached thumbnail(s)

User is offline   jimbob 

working hard to get this out the door, with the help of mark we are making nice progress i think :) more new map stuff, in germany this time so things are heating up and getting tougher
i could really use some more mappers on the project to wrap up episode 2 and think of what episode 3 will be about.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0000.png
  • Attached Image: duke0003.png

This post has been edited by jimbob: 27 February 2022 - 02:50 PM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Digitized sprites? Nice. Like a higher-detail ROTT. What's the source?

User is offline   Mark 

Photographed himself with a camera on a tripod. Amazing job as there are well over 200 frames of enemies and hud sprites alone. Getting them all cleaned up has been a big part of the project.

User is offline   jimbob 

yeah cleaning the sprites is a pain in the ass :')

Well the fact that I thought they had to be ripped from somewhere is credit to the clean-up job.

User is offline   Aleks 

Here's the hotel lobby I've started during The Mappening. It's still WIP, needs some more shading and detailing around the aquarium or the reception desk, but I have to admit I'm really hyped on the general look so far. Haven't had that much time/motivation to map for the past week or so too, so it's going kind of slow.
Attached Image: duke0093.png Attached Image: duke0094.png

Look a lot like the area submachine ended in.

WIP on the office which will be the second level in my mod, really pleased with the sense of depth i'm able to get playing around with TROR

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0046.png
  • Attached Image: duke0048.png

User is offline   Aleks 

View Postdandouglas, on 04 March 2022 - 02:14 AM, said:

WIP on the office which will be the second level in my mod, really pleased with the sense of depth i'm able to get playing around with TROR

That looks really cool and clean, man! I assume the staircases are made of sprites though, right? How is this working performance-wise? Maybe it would be a good idea to consider doing the underside of the stairs from a single sloped sprite instead of using all these steps to save on resources and enhance performance (another thing is, IIRC you can only have 2560 sprites visible at the same time)? You could just make a blending shade on that sloped sprite that should look as good as the gradially sloped "steps" now.

User is offline   jimbob 

thats looking awesome!

Attached thumbnail(s)

This post has been edited by jimbob: 04 March 2022 - 10:56 AM

View PostAleks, on 04 March 2022 - 08:58 AM, said:

That looks really cool and clean, man! I assume the staircases are made of sprites though, right? How is this working performance-wise? Maybe it would be a good idea to consider doing the underside of the stairs from a single sloped sprite instead of using all these steps to save on resources and enhance performance (another thing is, IIRC you can only have 2560 sprites visible at the same time)? You could just make a blending shade on that sloped sprite that should look as good as the gradially sloped "steps" now.

Cheers! Yep, the staircases are sprites - good shout on the sloped undersides. I'm not having any issues performance-wise on my decade-old PC in Polymost (Polymer absolutely kills it, mind - I'm leaving that unsupported). Cautious of the visible sprite limit once I start adding detail and building the offices around the atrium.

More progress on my office block, I've opened up the side so the player can see out and created a rain effect which I'm really happy with:

This post has been edited by dandouglas: 06 March 2022 - 08:35 AM

Share this topic:

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options