Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 339 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   Jblade 

View Postdandouglas, on 12 January 2022 - 04:16 AM, said:

After a break over Xmas I'm back working on my mod. Duke is going to nuke a crypto mining farm - all of the components are individually destructible.

I know they're not even in London but you gotta try and sneak in an underground tube that's just full of burning tesla cars.

User is online   dandouglas 

Recreated Marble Arch as part of my mod

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Marble Arch.png

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Made out of sectors and sprites? Impressive stuff!

Cheers! Yep, it's not too complex - the textures are doing most of the work.

View PostMicky C, on 14 January 2022 - 01:51 AM, said:

Made out of sectors and sprites? Impressive stuff!

Really pleased with how this effect turned out – Nigel Farage gets milkshaked:

User is online   Ninety-Six 

how did you do that?!

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

It looks like with some sophisticated sprites effects and nice animations. On the ground, for example, I'm pretty sure the big puddle is an animated floor aligned sprite that is already there and it becomes visible when triggered by the explosion.

View PostDanukem, on 25 January 2022 - 03:19 AM, said:

It looks like with some sophisticated sprites effects and nice animations. On the ground, for example, I'm pretty sure the big puddle is an animated floor aligned sprite that is already there and it becomes visible when triggered by the explosion.

Yep, it's mostly sprites that switch from blank/static tiles to animated ones when triggered by a hit, with some invisible collapsible sprites "shielding" areas so only an explosive triggers the sprites underneath. There's huge blank areas around most of the sprites so their hitboxes are much larger than they look in-game, to ensure the whole effect triggers together. It's cool because you can blow small holes in the tanker with any weapon, but only an explosive will trigger the biggest hole and soaking. The animated puddle on the floor is actually a texture, with the sector dropped very slightly lower than the rest of the road, overlayed with a transparent red-paletted plain white sprite to get the colour right, and then covered with collapsible floor-aligned road texture sprites. The whole thing is janky as hell and took a lot of trial-and-error to put together, with one caveat being that the Devastator rockets don't trigger the effect properly as their explosive radius is too small - I think my workaround for this will simply be not to let the player get this weapon until after this early part of the mod! I know I could adjust the radius via CON but I don't want to mess with the weapons too much for now.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0015.png
  • Attached Image: capt0016.png

This post has been edited by dandouglas: Yesterday, 06:12 AM

User is online   ck3D 

Haha holy shit, you must have spent a Hollywood Holocaust worth of walls on that puddle.

This post has been edited by ck3D: Yesterday, 06:24 AM

User is online   Ninety-Six 

The insane amount of work towards an interaction never before seen in Duke before (to my knowledge), among others...

Dude, this keeps shaping to look more and more like an official expansion.

User is offline   Aleks 

View Postdandouglas, on 25 January 2022 - 06:10 AM, said:

Yep, it's mostly sprites that switch from blank/static tiles to animated ones when triggered by a hit, with some invisible collapsible sprites "shielding" areas so only an explosive triggers the sprites underneath. There's huge blank areas around most of the sprites so their hitboxes are much larger than they look in-game, to ensure the whole effect triggers together. It's cool because you can blow small holes in the tanker with any weapon, but only an explosive will trigger the biggest hole and soaking. The animated puddle on the floor is actually a texture, with the sector dropped very slightly lower than the rest of the road, overlayed with a transparent red-paletted plain white sprite to get the colour right, and then covered with collapsible floor-aligned road texture sprites. The whole thing is janky as hell and took a lot of trial-and-error to put together, with one caveat being that the Devastator rockets don't trigger the effect properly as their explosive radius is too small - I think my workaround for this will simply be not to let the player get this weapon until after this early part of the mod! I know I could adjust the radius via CON but I don't want to mess with the weapons too much for now.

Hmmm, not sure if this is EDuke feature/version dependent thing, but at least in the current releases, if you blow up a hi-tagged sprite, all of the sprites with the same hi-tag will also collapse. Seems on the screen that you do use this, so not sure why only some would trigger with devastator/smaller hitboxes.

BTW, the amount of walls used for that is insane indeed, triggers my OCD an makes me feel like damn Scrooge when I overthink adding an extra 6 walled sector for something https://forums.duke4.net/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif

User is offline   Mark 

It not just the execution of the ideas that impresses me. Its the creativity behind the ideas.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostAleks, on 25 January 2022 - 10:40 AM, said:

BTW, the amount of walls used for that is insane indeed, triggers my OCD an makes me feel like damn Scrooge when I overthink adding an extra 6 walled sector for something

Yep, I had assumed it was a high definition sprite for that very reason -- when I looked at the smoothness on the curves on it, I didn't think it was possible to make it with sectors.

View PostAleks, on 25 January 2022 - 10:40 AM, said:

BTW, the amount of walls used for that is insane indeed, triggers my OCD an makes me feel like damn Scrooge when I overthink adding an extra 6 walled sector for something https://forums.duke4.net/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif

Haha, yeah it's 183 walls in total - i'm not so worried about hitting limits as i'm using Danukem's hub map code to piece my maps together (thanks so much for that, it's making this mod possible!)

Here's another update with a big effect I've been working on - the reference might be completely alien unless you're heavily invested in the absurdity of UK politics lol

https://youtu.be/gzcv_0_SVCg

Share this topic:

• 339 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options