Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   jimbob 

random production shot

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0000.png
  • Attached Image: capt0001.png

This post has been edited by jimbob: 28 March 2022 - 01:45 PM

User is offline   11bush 

I have been working on using blender to make sprites for everything, rather than drawing each frame of characters, but I don't think I'm there yet. once I figure it out I will be looking pretty good for replacing all the enemies and allies in NAM.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: soldier.gif

Here's a new screenshot of Mario Kart 64 TOWN. This is one of the building interiors. The exterior of this building has been in at least one screenshot I've posted previously. (No points for guessing which building it is, or any other details for that matter.)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0001.png

Posted Image

Coming soon to an eduke32 near you.

User is offline   Sanek 

I'm back. During the darkest timeline of our lives, I returned to mapping.

The map that I worked on last time is in a limbo right now - I didn't touched it since late 2020 (since I was busy with my gamedev activities), but I showed the build to one very respectable mapper and I hope he'll do something with this map someday.

I started doing a little project, which is (once again in my case) relies on a gimmick of some sort. I'd like to create a set of small maps (talk E2L11/Lunatic Fringe in terms of size) that all will have the same idea.

I think i'm done with big projects, maps like Winterfall and such. I know that making the episode is harder than making a good map, but with size like this, it won't be nearly as hard as making one detailed map.

With my current business shut down and uncertain future, diving into a dream world probably won't be right. But i've been a part of this dream world we call mapping for the last 18 years, and I still want to be a part of it.

Anyway, here's the shots. Despite the small size, it won't be heavily detailed like modern hot maps. I don't want to make everthing ultra-detailed just for the sake of it.
Some might call it n00bish compared to what I've done, but I'd say it have the bare minimum of what I want to see in a map myself, and it's a perfect match for my ideas. I don't know If i'm actually going to finish all this, but at least I have fun doing it.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0045.png
  • Attached Image: duke0046.png
  • Attached Image: duke0047.png
  • Attached Image: duke0048.png

User is offline   ck3D 

Great to see you back, Sanek! I think those are some pretty stellar shots actually, some of the cleanest design I've seen you post, flawless classic. I think you should get it out of your head that you have to prove anything or produce fancy levels or mapping is competitive, what matters the most is you sincerely pursuing your vision and I'm glad you sound like you've unlocked that mindset. You should really just build whatever you feel like - the 'feel' part is important, you don't have to intellectualize or rationalize whatever it is you're making. It's coming out for a reason and usually that means that it does make sense somewhere, you should embrace your flow and not feel restricted to anything. Sorry to hear about your business and also for never getting back to you about those old maps you sent, I still need and want to do that sometime. Looking forward to this new piece!

User is offline   Sanek 

Thanks, ck3D!

Okay, here's map #2, called "Assaullt on Memorial".

I didn't want to do this, but it turns out into a sort of "map per day" challenge for me. Obviously, some polishing and minor additions will take place later, but making almost the entire map in one day and going to the next one is a fun expierence, so I'll do it like this while I have interest.

The level itself is a small memorial area dedicated to Duke, that have small museum-like pieces of each of the original episodes. There's also a spectators seats and some terrain here and there, which is less inspired. The seats give a cool intro, when you don't have weapons and have to take cover.

I wanted to have a space-themed pack first but I decided to make one Earth-bound map for a plot purposes.

I won't work on new maps everyday, but when I have enough time to dedicate the good half of it on mapping.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0049.png
  • Attached Image: duke0050.png
  • Attached Image: duke0051.png
  • Attached Image: duke0052.png

User is offline   jimbob 

retexturing and detailing, getting episode 1 ready for release. just a few things to work out. it could go into beta testing real quick.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0000.png
  • Attached Image: duke0001.png

This post has been edited by jimbob: 12 April 2022 - 06:07 AM

User is offline   Aleks 

Nice to see you still around, Sanek. Hope you're safe and OK.

I like your screens and am definitely looking forward to what you're working on, as ck3D mentioned, it looks very clean and classic, Duke museum also looks interesting. There's been plenty of episodes which managed to successfully merge space and city themes (e.g. God of War), so don't really see a problem there. Always great to see people coming back to mapping, and again I agree with ck3D that it's good that you're doing it as an entertainment/pleasure activity for yourself and not try to compete or something, that's the way to go!

User is offline   dandouglas 

A few more WIP shots, really happy with the bus seats

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0036.png
  • Attached Image: duke0037.png
  • Attached Image: duke0035.png
  • Attached Image: duke0031.png

User is offline   Sanek 

@Aleks thanks!

@dandouglas love the aesthetics! looks like it's going one of the most unsual (in terms of design) maps in a long while!

About my episode, I made a third map already! It's a moon-themed map with some wood on it, so I called it "Woodsteroid".

It's three maps in 6 days, wow (3 days if counting only actual days of mapping).

Sure, the maps is not that great, it's more of arenas than the actual levels with sprawling layout and exporation, but I really amazed that I managed to make something that looks adequate in such a short time. The first map is something that can be done in a couple of minutes, but maps 2 and 3 looks like more considerable efforts in my opinion.

One of the reasons that allows me make maps faster is a symmetrical layout. It's a very efficent way to fill map with content, but also lazy and boring (on the other hand, I think it makes sense in arena-type maps). It seems like i'm falling into a pattern here, but I'll try to make more unique layouts in the future maps.

Anyway, here's the screenshots:

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0053.png
  • Attached Image: duke0054.png
  • Attached Image: duke0056.png
  • Attached Image: duke0057.png

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Remade Duke Nukem 1 portrait, used original color palette.

Posted Image

User is offline   Mark 

I don't know what the original looks like, but your's looks cool.

I was going to show what I was working on but it seems it took me an hour or so to realize I had been working on the crashmap version of my map instead of the current one. I should have deleted that crashmap so this didn't happen. Now I have nothing to show. I have to remake the new changes in the current map. DUH...

This post has been edited by Mark: 14 April 2022 - 06:23 AM

User is online   Ninety-Six 

View PostMark, on 14 April 2022 - 06:17 AM, said:

I was going to show what I was working on but it seems it took me an hour or so to realize I had been working on the crashmap version of my map instead of the current one. I should have deleted that crashmap so this didn't happen. Now I have nothing to show. I have to remake the new changes in the current map. DUH...

What's a crashmap?

User is offline   Mark 

If Mapster crashes it saves whatever was loaded at crash time as a crashmap. Most of the time its still a usable map but I don't take a chance. Something may have gotten corrupted and I might not find it til way later.

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostMark, on 14 April 2022 - 06:17 AM, said:

Original intro picture:

Posted Image

User is online   Ninety-Six 

View PostMark, on 14 April 2022 - 10:39 AM, said:

If Mapster crashes it saves whatever was loaded at crash time as a crashmap. Most of the time its still a usable map but I don't take a chance. Something may have gotten corrupted and I might not find it til way later.

I tried to +1 but I missed. Sorry.

User is offline   Mark 

I had a good cry and I'm over it now. :P

User is offline   ck3D 

View Postbrullov, on 14 April 2022 - 05:13 AM, said:

Remade Duke Nukem 1 portrait, used original color palette.

Posted Image

Fantastic!

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Nice EGA artwork!

User is offline   Merlijn 

View PostSanek, on 13 April 2022 - 05:02 PM, said:

About my episode, I made a third map already! It's a moon-themed map with some wood on it, so I called it "Woodsteroid".

Nice usage of long shadows! Good luck with your project. :)

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostMerlijn, on 15 April 2022 - 05:53 AM, said:

Nice usage of long shadows! Good luck with your project. :)

Thanks man. ;)

I talked about symmetry in my last post. I tried to make a new with asymmetrical layout and failed didn't make it. The finished layout looked like lacking focus, like it's all over the place. Symmetrical layout looks more clean in my eyes, more professional and refined. I guess such thinking comes from the fact that I'm making arenas instead of a traditional single-player levels.

I also noticed another pattern in my maps, which is making sandbox type of levels. I make a square, cut it into 6 smaller squares and basically build whatever I want on each of these. It produced nice reuslts so far.

So what I learned today?

Symmetry is good if you're making arenas.

Don't make it unlinear for the sake of unlinear

Just go with the flow. B)

User is offline   jimbob 

had to buy a new monitor, so i tested out if i need to fix some wide screen things, i guess not :)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0000.png

User is offline   Sanek 

Finished map #4, titte...I dunno rigfht now.

This one turned out worse than the previous maps. Enemies don't behave like intented, everything is too big and there's way more "symmetry" i was talking about than in any other maps i've made for the episode.

It's the second base-themed map, and it's tough to make space maps that don't look like each other. Next time i'll make more alien-y/non-human enviroments, or at least outdoor maps like the previous two maps.

I spent all Sunday making this map, but I seriously consider throwing it away and make a new one from scratch, because it feels like such a letdown after the previous map. If I don't come up with a better replacement, it'll be the worst part of the episode.

Oh, and just mentioning - I'm planning to make 8 maps.

Screenshots from the map itself:

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0058.png
  • Attached Image: duke0059.png
  • Attached Image: duke0060.png
  • Attached Image: duke0062.png

User is offline   Sanek 

Okay so the consideration of throwing this map away was a bit premature. :D

It's not so bad, as long as other maps will be better.

Tuned up the gameplay a bit. Still worse than the previous level, but at least it's more playable than in the initial version of the map.

This post has been edited by Sanek: 18 April 2022 - 07:38 AM

User is offline   jimbob 

just keep hammering away at them until you are satisfied :)

hell, curently im revisiting the first maps i made for the mod to get things ready for the release of Ep1

User is offline   Sanek 

Map #5, "Jungle Hive". Play " Lost Lagoon" music from Duke Carribean in this one.

It went so much better, faster than the previous map, but in retrospective that previous map doesn't look as bad as I thought. :P

I made this map because I wanted to have a map that'll have action on slopes and this orange sky. :D

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0063.png
  • Attached Image: duke0064.png

User is offline   jimbob 

looks cool :)

User is offline   Sanek 

Done map #6 this Saturday.

Visually, I like the results, but it also have more copy-n-pasted areas than any other map in the episode. A real low point, this other map I was worried about actually turned our rather cool.

I have two more maps to go, but I have to take a week-long break unfortuantely, since i'll be away from my computer.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0069.png

User is offline   quakis 

@Sanek: The strong lighting on its own is making each screenshot appealing to look at, a good direction there.

If you're worried about the copy-paste effect, I like to try throwing a curveball at those particular spots so that it contrasts from other similar elements such as drastically changing sector heights or shape, introducing a unique decorative landmark or gameplay element (exploding wall) or simply changing how lighting looks in the area.

Share this topic:

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options