Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is online   ck3D 

I knew this was a tribute to Mark but still was going to say, is this a tribute to Radar's Duke4 account?

User is offline   Seb Luca 

GG for having guessed ;)
No, it was not about Radar. Why ?

User is online   ck3D 

Oh, just being tongue-in-cheek about their Duke4 account being long dead and buried, really! #jokesexplained

Ah and I improvised something yesterday - it was pavigna's 16th birthday and his parents got him a present I replicated in my A.W.O.L. map after he shared a photo of it: https://twitter.com/...361812152078338

This post has been edited by ck3D: 19 September 2021 - 08:50 AM

User is offline   Graphics 

Quick update on the expanded landscape terrain mapping pieces. Increasing the height was no small order. This expanded my pieces quite a bit. Just the parts alone use up over 1000 sectors.

I'm going to have to separate the infrastructure pieces into another map. Plus create two terrain pieces maps. One for more advanced users without premade corner pieces and another with those premade corner pieces.

This also means teaching in my tutorial to discard what you've used and if you plan on going big, how to build within multiple maps.

Here's a picture showing the work I'm doing. I've organized all the parts that connect to a flat surface on the right side and odd angles to the left. Then moved the more complex the equations further to each side. I've also lined up the steepness of the angles so it's easier to find what you're looking for.
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Graphics: 19 September 2021 - 10:40 PM

User is offline   dandouglas 

View PostGraphics, on 14 September 2021 - 01:35 PM, said:

To Dandougles. Welcome back after 25 years. Liking the maps you're making. The edited textures look great and I recognized Stonehenge right away. Keep up the good work.

Thanks so much! Here's another work-in-progress shot.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: FOXTONS.png

To Dandouglas. The car on the left side of the screenshot looks awesome. Because I feel like it's all been done through sectors and mapping. That's really cool.

This post has been edited by Graphics: 21 September 2021 - 03:00 PM

Posted Image
I haven't done much in that last couple days... But I have been messing around with my island. Because it was the background that didn't work properly in polymore. I got rid of it and went with basic blue sky. Now my map is very stable.

I did however test this out right after. I can make the map the whole size of the mapster32 grid-map if I wanted too. The down side is, I'll have some glitches from a distance. But one map with multiple smaller islands. Seems possible.

I going to do further testing to find out.

User is offline   jimbob 

you could use some GTA style bridges to get across :) the new stuff everyone posts are looking awesome :)

So I ended up posting the update to my landscape terrain mapping. It's on my ModDB page. It's not finished as there are many angles left. But it's a lot better then what I started with. So whatever is made with it, will be a lot better then my island.

[Update Includes]
1 : 6x high slopes, from the 4x high slopes.
2 : More angles to landscape terrain pieces.
3 : Roads to build along side the terrain with.
4 : Plus I organized all the landscape parts.

I decided it's more fun to leave the buildings to the mapper. But added roads to make it easier to plan that with. So other mappers can do their own thing.

This post has been edited by Graphics: 30 September 2021 - 10:12 PM

User is offline   Merlijn 

Nearly done with the boss map, I'm working on the final sequence now.
Which means the Shaky Grounds episode is nearing completion! It all took a bit longer than expected but I think the results will be worth it. :)

A couple of final screens:
Attached Image: duke0256.png
Attached Image: duke0250.png

User is online   ck3D 

Sick stuff, feels Doom-ish (or Doom 64-ish, to be more accurate, maybe) to me for some reason and I mean that in the best way possible. I'm really liking your focus on just a few colors here, makes the area look pristine all the while insisting on the urgency with the menacing, heavy red (ha) presence. Impression is a lot stronger than if the palettes were more all over the place, which is something I could picture you do before e.g.. in the Red 4/5 era (you still made it work there, though). Episode nearing its completion is some really good news, this is such a sweet era for Build mapping.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 03 October 2021 - 10:16 AM

User is offline   Merlijn 

Thanks! And yes, the Doom influences are definitely there. I've been watching a lot of custom content for Doom lately, especially the video's from Decino (who also happens to be Dutch ;) ).
So that's well spotted! And yeah this is the lair of the enemy so it needs to look hostile and menacing. The reds really help with that.

User is offline   Aleks 

Love the screens, Merlijn, such a classic level geometry, but the texture combinations along with that palette make it look quite original and unique! Anyway, few more screens from me as well:
Attached Image: duke0042.png Attached Image: duke0038.png

@Merlijn : As red as impressive :lol:

@Aleks : Sober but finely built :)

User is offline   jimbob 

working on a civillian(ish) character, the scientist. working on the art right now and program this sucker tonight.

in retrospect, i think glasses would have made him look more smart...

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0000.png

This post has been edited by jimbob: 08 October 2021 - 04:52 AM

Jimbob. Amazing artwork. I was thinking of doing something with photography for my mod. Because my art isn't that realistic. That's impressive work.

This is what I've been up to. Just working on a 3D representation of the town Pravoka from Final Fantasy.
Posted Image

User is offline   jimbob 

im really digging that 8 bit build vibe :)

View PostGraphics, on 11 October 2021 - 09:49 PM, said:

This is what I've been up to. Just working on a 3D representation of the town Pravoka from Final Fantasy.
Posted Image

I can't be the only only one seeing it
https://youtu.be/-J2mHExgQlk

View Postjimbob, on 08 October 2021 - 04:51 AM, said:

working on a civillian(ish) character, the scientist.

Very nice work :) Maybe a little bit for improvement, if I may?

Attached Image: Sans titre-2.png

View PostTruck Stop Santa Claus, on 14 October 2021 - 09:19 PM, said:

I can't be the only only one seeing it
https://youtu.be/-J2mHExgQlk

You wouldn't be wrong. That texture is from an old MGS VR Missions mod that I never released. I now use it to make measurements.

To Truck Stop Santa Claus. You had me thinking with your comment. So I picked up the Metal Gear Solid VR Mission textures and recreated my mod.

Here are the first three levels to Metal Gear Nukem VR Missions. Thanks to modern mapping techniques, I think I could recreate all of the VR levels.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   dandouglas 

More work in progress on my mod, Duke Smoochem 3D

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0038.png

User is offline   jimbob 

View PostSeb Luca, on 14 October 2021 - 10:03 PM, said:

Attachment Sans titre-2.png

thats nice, clean :)

User is offline   jimbob 

View Postdandouglas, on 17 October 2021 - 12:31 AM, said:

amazing how the build engine can look with just the right textures :)

View Postdandouglas, on 17 October 2021 - 12:31 AM, said:

Looks amazing. I like the careful use of texturing. It's very well done.

Talking about textures. I've been adding lighting to my VR map with the use of them.
Posted Image
At first I was going with sprites for the lighting. But Oasiz on Discord reminded me of the framerate loss in software mode. So I back tracked and used Photoshop to create these textures.

This post has been edited by Graphics: 17 October 2021 - 02:52 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostSeb Luca, on 14 October 2021 - 10:03 PM, said:

Attachment Sans titre-2.png

Not sure what program you used but I highly recommend that people use ImageAnalyzer to convert colours to any palette. It's superior to expensive programs like Photoshop for video game art in this arena. You'll completely avoid the problem of white colours converting to blue and other nasty problems.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 17 October 2021 - 10:56 PM

User is online   Mark 

I don't have Photoshop to test with but I agree that Image Analyzer converts well. I compared it to my trusty old Paint Shop Pro 7 that I use and in 5 texture tests I could not tell them apart after conversion to duke palette.

User is offline   jimbob 

View PostJimmy, on 17 October 2021 - 10:54 PM, said:

Not sure what program you used but I highly recommend that people use ImageAnalyzer to convert colours to any palette. It's superior to expensive programs like Photoshop for video game art in this arena. You'll completely avoid the problem of white colours converting to blue and other nasty problems.

there was a bit of blue in the originals, because of the blue background i used. but i'll install that program anyway because importing greens is a nightmare.

View PostGraphics, on 17 October 2021 - 02:42 PM, said:

Looks amazing. I like the careful use of texturing. It's very well done.

Talking about textures. I've been adding lighting to my VR map with the use of them.
Posted Image
At first I was going with sprites for the lighting. But Oasiz on Discord reminded me of the framerate loss in software mode. So I back tracked and used Photoshop to create these textures.

I like it

Share this topic:

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options