Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostPerro Seco, on 04 June 2018 - 02:05 PM, said:

I can't run the HRP in my current computer like I did back in 2006,

2006? Dude, what happened?

Those are all from a looooong time ago.

I argued earlier that what should have happened is that the old Polymost HRP should have been separated from the Polymer-based stuff and offered as a different package. You get some weird effects mixing them up. Sort of like when you play DNF and find some old props that look like they were added during the Q2 build of the game.

It's a shame all the HRP guys aren't here any more. I don't know where you'd find any of the files.

I wonder what happened to them all?

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 04 June 2018 - 10:59 PM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

These images on the HRP website are unfortunately not reflecting the current status of the HRP any more. I took those screenies back in August 2011 (i.e. with HRP v5.0), so you can imagine that some models changed, particularly the pistol. Also, Polymer and Polymost will sometimes use different models, and I have always used Polymer for screenies since it shows more eye candy.

If I'll get around to it, I will take new screenshots, but it may take a while since I am more involved with the addon compilation these days. The HRP also hasn't seen any major changes for a while now, so I had to move on to something else to keep myself busy. :(

I gotta admit I am not using the HRP any more by myself since ages. I also stopped doing that for Quake or Doom. Even the best attempt to imitate vanilla textures and sprites is still never going to deliver the same atmosphere as in lowres, at least as far as I am concerned. HRP is still a nice thing to demonstrate some of the enhancements possible with EDuke32, though.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 05 June 2018 - 07:45 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

this is the polymost hrp hand in the current svn
(i tried the newest polymost over-ride pak & it looks like lego-man hand)

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Forge: 05 June 2018 - 07:48 AM

• Polymancer

The new one looks a lot more like the sprite. I know a lot of people are funny about that.

View PostNightFright, on 05 June 2018 - 07:30 AM, said:

These images on the HRP website are unfortunately not reflecting the current status of the HRP any more. I took those screenies back in August 2011 (i.e. with HRP v5.0), so you can imagine that some models changed, particularly the pistol. Also, Polymer and Polymost will sometimes use different models, and I have always used Polymer for screenies since it shows more eye candy.

If I'll get around to it, I will take new screenshots, but it may take a while since I am more involved with the addon compilation these days. The HRP also hasn't seen any major changes for a while now, so I had to move on to something else to keep myself busy. :(

I gotta admit I am not using the HRP any more by myself since ages. I also stopped doing that for Quake or Doom. Even the best attempt to imitate vanilla textures and sprites is still never going to deliver the same atmosphere as in lowres, at least as far as I am concerned. HRP is still a nice thing to demonstrate some of the enhancements possible with EDuke32, though.

I can do that for you if you're interested ?

My PC is barely capable enough to run polymer with a bit of playability so clearly I can do that for you. Just tell me what to do, what to take, where to take and I'll PM you everything ^^

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Something about the way FOV is applied to the newer pistol and shotgun models makes them look weird. It's like the perspective implies they should be at a different position than a hand-held weapon would be.

• Polymancer

IIRC, The FOV was changed because the shotgun cocking made the shotty look like it was a mile long.

The pistol was changed to be more like the sprite, so you can blame all the nit pickers for that one.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

The FOV token should probably be removed from all HRP materials and replaced with some kind of scaling and offsetting so that things display properly. Setting the FOV from user content is automatically wrong, like how the RPG's bob and sway is minimal compared to what it should be.

Also the related projects suffered a setback, Nuclear winter HRP and the Carribean HRP (which are NW+ and Vaca+ now?) still both build on an old version of polymost and without any adjournment to polymer. The last content slightly updated I remember is the D.C. HRP.

View PostFantinaikos, on 05 June 2018 - 01:06 PM, said:

Also the related projects suffered a setback, Nuclear winter HRP and the Carribean HRP (which are NW+ and Vaca+ now?) still both build on an old version of polymost and without any adjournment to polymer. The last content slightly updated I remember is the D.C. HRP.

I believe the DC HRP is considered completed now ... I although I remember hearing that there were still one or two textures still in old style but they had considered it as not part of the DC pack in the first place and thus not worth changing or something >_> I think the last update included new custom soundtrack but I didn't get to check it yet ...

User is offline   Perro Seco 

View PostTea Monster, on 04 June 2018 - 10:55 PM, said:

2006? Dude, what happened? Those are all from a looooong time ago.
I had a better computer back then. :P

View PostForge, on 05 June 2018 - 07:47 AM, said:

this is the polymost hrp hand in the current svn
Glad to see they're still included in the HRP! I thought they were totally replaced by the newer models. Sorry then for offtoping this thread... :(

User is offline   Maisth 

Still putting some work into the Detain, here's a new photo i wanted to share.

Attached Image: duke0008.png

User is offline   Kyanos 

Attached Image: duke0000.png
^I call this "nothing"

I'm prepping a code base for using EDuke32 in the next Ludum Dare. I have also been working on procedural content creation. Does anyone else have any interest in this stuff?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDrek, on 14 June 2018 - 02:18 PM, said:

I'm prepping a code base for using EDuke32 in the next Ludum Dare. I have also been working on procedural content creation. Does anyone else have any interest in this stuff?

I'm interested, but I don't have time to contribute anything at the moment. For the projects I'm thinking of, it's important that the procedural map construction be able to happen in EDuke32. One thing I wonder about is whether you can generate new wall points, or whether you have to have a pile of them already in the map.

User is offline   Kyanos 

To the best of my knowledge you can't make new walls in game, I don't think you can destroy walls either, or even change wall count of a sector.

I have thought about how I'd make procedural maps. My thoughts have been to go with a modular approach, sort of like a temple run where certain modules can only lead into others. All this would need to be coordinated through a tagging system and sectors could be reused to make an endless runner type game if you monitor the sprites and clean up any messes before recycling.

As for my plans for maps, I'm going to make them in Mapster32 with a heavy dose of scripting and copy paste abuse. Using some con code I can fill areas with objects that fit the sectors environment (like spawning grass sprite on grass picnum floors...)

A few others things I've got going on are;
i) a midi song generator. Almost, it randomizes a chord progression of 5-10 notes, randomly picks a key, a couple instruments, timing... Spits out semi decent tracks. I switch key for the chorus using the circle of fifths, loop the verse riff twice, play the sequence backwards, I have percussion too. Basically I can run it a few times, get a tune that has whatever feel I'm going for, bring it into Anvil Studio and use the structure/inspiration to whip up a semi listenable midi song quickly. (it's my own python script that runs using pyknon to write the midi file)

ii) playing around with a few texture generators so far Texture Maker is supreme and I've been customizing scripts for it, command line abilities mean I should be able to generate thousands of tileable textures in seconds, pick a few hundred I like then use my new favorite trick of dir>dir.txt with notepad column editor to write a def file in under 1 minute.

iii) Blender scripting, add meatballs, convert to mesh, quick ugly unwrap, texture it, export to md3, poly2vox. I think I can make a couple enemies, pickups and environment models (voxels) in just a few hours. Also going with Blender for models leads straight into making HUD sprites for the weapons.

iv) that leaves sfx which is probably my weakest skill. Not too sure what I'll use, bxfr? I've been playing around with the general midi sound fx and audacity, can do a lot with it but not quick at all yet.

This post has been edited by Drek: 14 June 2018 - 06:03 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDrek, on 14 June 2018 - 05:51 PM, said:

I have thought about how I'd make procedural maps. My thoughts have been to go with a modular approach, sort of like a temple run where certain modules can only lead into others. All this would need to be coordinated through a tagging system and sectors could be reused to make an endless runner type game if you monitor the sprites and clean up any messes before recycling.

Yeah, a runner game is one of the two games that I have thought about in this context. In my version there would be an entire map loop already pre-made, but as you go through the loop a lot of things can change, including sprites, textures, slopes, wall point positions....lots of stuff. So you might have 5 total maps, with each one having zillions of variations due to on-the-fly changes. So I guess that wouldn't procedural map generation, just editing. For the record I was thinking about calling it either "Run N' Gun", or "Gun Runner", because the player would have guns. There's an invincible boss chasing you the whole time and if he catches up he crushes you and you die, so you have to just keep running and gunning your way through the course. After you survive a certain number of laps with procedural changes on each lap, you graduate to the next course (map).

User is offline   Jblade 

An in-game procedural map generator would be extremely useful (or rather I'm thinking more of slotting maps together like jigsaw pieces)

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostJblade, on 14 June 2018 - 08:21 PM, said:

An in-game procedural map generator would be extremely useful (or rather I'm thinking more of slotting maps together like jigsaw pieces)

Yep, that would be great for an open world sandbox type of game. That would be awesome if it worked kind of like Minecraft where the player could enter a seed and then the world was generated with like a 100 different map files making it up. I imagine it would be easiest to program and probably work smoothly if the maps were all exactly the same dimensions and had an identically shaped outer perimeter such that they could all fit seamlessly together (maybe a hexagon).

Posted Image

I bring the example of Warframe game, where maps are randomly generated as a merging of prefab "portions" linked with doors or passages of the same shapes

User is online   Vagan 

Perhaps teleporters would work? The map segments could be shaped differently relative to each other, and doorways/connecting passages might be easier to implement.

Just a random thought.

User is offline   Kyanos 

I just found Dooms procedural map generator :(

http://oblige.sourceforge.net/

User is offline   Sanek 

Silverball lives!

Posted Image

I worked on that thing about 4 months ago but stopped it due to unfortunate circumstances. I decided to return to it now, since I really like to make a game/mod like this.
I remember Trooper Dan was saying that he can't see any platforming in it, but it's obvious that he doesn't know what he's talking about. If only he played CandyMania, then he'll knew that I'm able to bring the experience!

User is offline   Kyanos 

Attached Image: capt0000.pngAttached Image: capt0001.png
Oblige->Duke3D, needs some serious work to make finishable levels.

User is offline   Mark 

Even if the only thing that comes from this is a self generating stairs feature I'll be happy.

User is offline   TURBOKID 

Attached Image: Menu01.png
Attached Image: DukeEagle.gif
Attached Image: Shotty.gif
:(

And here the Devastator gif was too big to upload
Attached Image: 01DevsFPS13.png
Here for the gif

This post has been edited by TURBOKID: 24 June 2018 - 03:49 PM

Such smooth and clean animation O_O

Doesn't seem like you used Rotate Sprite like most people do when there's so many frames involved, does it ?

User is offline   Mark 

Its possible those weapon anims are not in the game yet and thats his graphics program displaying them. I guess he can answer that.

Yeah the assumption would be correct, the sprites are all there in GIF how they will be in game. Anyone who saw Atomic Reloads messy beginnings will know this has been a long in development project, but i also have a small team working on our own original sprite based FPS. The extra frames are because while we were testing stuff for our own game, we made a little Duke Game for fun.

Attached Image: DukeScreen02.png

I still have to optimize everything or the mod :(

Also heres my Trooper
Attached Image: Trooper01.png
And a female alien
Attached Image: FemaleAlien01.png

View PostTURBOKID, on 25 June 2018 - 06:10 AM, said:

Yeah the assumption would be correct, the sprites are all there in GIF how they will be in game. Anyone who saw Atomic Reloads messy beginnings will know this has been a long in development project, but i also have a small team working on our own original sprite based FPS. The extra frames are because while we were testing stuff for our own game, we made a little Duke Game for fun.

Attachment DukeScreen02.png

I still have to optimize everything or the mod :(

I see ^^

Personally I'm not a fan of Doom style huds >_> Are you planning a hud choice like in Kick Ass (which I still need to check out) or is it a prototype ?

Share this topic:

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options