Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

So, does this make it more difficult to code a mod with multiplayer in mind, or easier? Either way, I'm pretty psyched to try it. I could only ever get the Hamachi approach to work, which is a hassle.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 05 December 2009 - 03:08 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostTX, on Dec 5 2009, 02:19 PM, said:

I don't even think savemapstate and loadmapstate support gamearrays and things have been okay so far. :)

I can think of several things in WGR2 that would be messed up by that as soon as we start making serious use of the map caching feature. Right now it doesn't matter much, but that's only because there's no reason to return to the completed levels.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Dec 5 2009, 03:07 PM, said:

So, does this make it more difficult to code a mod with multiplayer in mind, or easier? Either way, I'm pretty psyched to try it. I could only ever get the Hamachi approach to work, which is a hassle.

If I understand it correctly, it will work far more reliably (e.g. no sync problems) but there is more potential for lag because of the extra data going from the server to the other computers. You should be able to get away with sloppy coding that would be game-stoppers using the old method, but to get the most out of it you would need to optimize certain things that weren't an issue before (like the number of actors awake at a given time, and the number of per-actor variables). For playing vanilla Duke or mods that just add new gametypes and do little else (like a simple CTF mod), the new net code will be a huge improvement right out of the box.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 05 December 2009 - 03:33 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

There's actually less potential for lag with the new model, because the game doesn't have to wait for an equal number of packets to be sent to and received from all players in order to proceed anymore. The difference is just that we need more bandwidth now because we're dealing with bigger packets.

User is offline   NerdZilla 

im in the process of fineshing a map for you guys to check out. to my serprize this map is cerrently using under 1700 secters. with about 3700 secters max that can be see on sceen at one time. this map is'nt even full size.
:)

This post has been edited by NerdZilla: 05 December 2009 - 08:14 PM

Very impressive!

im just adding trees now and the map should be readdy for testing. im going to move the trees around after so it looks right.

This post has been edited by NerdZilla: 06 December 2009 - 03:39 AM

User is offline   pmw 

View PostNerdZilla, on Dec 6 2009, 02:30 PM, said:

Attachment duke0006.jpgAttachment duke0005.jpgAttachment duke0003.jpgAttachment duke0002.jpg[attachment=781
:
duke0001.jpg]Attachment duke0000.jpg

im just adding trees now and the map should be readdy for testing. im going to move the trees around after so it looks right.

It's really cool. You should try to make water to there, water where you can dive.

User is offline   Geoffrey 

Why did you quote that, it's right above your post :) Looks nice! I agree about the water, it'd be great to fill a lower circle of sectors with a water texture, but that's all for the future.

User is offline   quakis 

TX, on Dec 5 2009, 10:16 AM, said:

I coded true client/server multiplayer.

Well that gives me more reasons to actually finish off this DM map I was working on a while back;

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   Micki! 

• Candy Consumptionist & Administrator

That actually looks kinda cool ...
But what's about that map ..? is it MP only, or designed for coop play or something ..?

I should get into custom mas some time, i know i'm missing out tons...

hey i have an idea thats crazy but mite work. im thinking about e-mailing 3Drealms about the idea of making a duke game from all of us to raise money for a worhy coz. i meen, we're all already doing this for free anyways. so why not make something of it? and im sure the guys at 3drealms would like the attention right befor the release of duke nukem 4 ever.

so what do you guys think? i dont think anyone has raised money this way. and im willing to e-mail anyone from 3drealm and try to ask?

This post has been edited by NerdZilla: 06 December 2009 - 11:47 AM

User is offline   Sangman 

You do that. Anyway, the map looks really cool! :)

The difference is just that we need more bandwidth now because we're dealing with bigger packets.

Now I'm wishing my ISP didn't still have those stupid monthly bandwith limits :/ 25 GB per month :)

yeah it is a crazy idea. thanks for the comment on the map.

This post has been edited by NerdZilla: 06 December 2009 - 12:16 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

quakis, on Dec 6 2009, 08:02 AM, said:

Well that gives me more reasons to actually finish off this DM map I was working on a while back;

What do you mean "I"? :)
And also, neither of us ever finish anything. :)

User is offline   quakis 

Captain Awesome, on Dec 6 2009, 08:30 PM, said:

What do you mean "I"? :)
And also, neither of us ever finish anything. :)

"I" because you're a lazy tard and barely do any work on it, you big fat nub!

This post has been edited by quakis: 06 December 2009 - 02:02 PM

User is offline   Stabs 

CLAWS!

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

quakis, on Dec 6 2009, 05:02 PM, said:

"I" because you're a lazy tard and barely do any work on it, you big fat nub!

No, you delete everything I do and remake it from scratch. You big meany! :)

:) im having problems uploading the tile file needed to run my map.... its to big.

User is offline   Sangman 

Upload it elsewhere :)

ok how?... ive never done that kind of thing befor.

updated pic. blue sky, adding in some terret guns on long polls around the map. i also still have to fix some of the trees. a few of them are flouting in mid air. a thing you can't see is the bace way up in the sky you start, then skydive from.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

NerdZilla, on Dec 8 2009, 04:15 PM, said:

ok how?... ive never done that kind of thing befor.

http://www.filefront.com/upload.php

User is offline   Sobek 

• There's coffee in that nebula!

Testing out a new water texture. I've got a couple of others I'm using for my mod, but this was to be a replacement for the stock Duke3d water texture (the others are a bit... different :) );

http://www.youtube.c...fTXG7hC0&fmt=22

User is offline   Stabs 

mmm i like that water

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Hmm, Quakis maps are good as always.

The Commander, on Dec 8 2009, 02:05 AM, said:

I wrote some time ago a list for that situtations. May be out-of-date.

Use:

Mediafire Posted Image
- Fast
- No wait time
- No login required

4shared Posted Image
- One of the fastest that exist

Fileden Posted Image
Despite the bandwidth limit (5GB), it accepts hotlinking.

Another ones that I heard to be good ones but I didn't test: FilesTube, QuickShare

Do NOT use:

Rapidshare Posted Image
- Wait time TOO long
- From time to time there are incomprehensive anti-spam codes
- The speed is not very good

Megaupload Posted Image
- Wait time
- Some time ago there was that "no slots for your country" issue.

Sendspace Posted Image
- Problem with the "full slots" eventually failing.

Filefront Posted Image
- Problem with the download eventually failing.

This post has been edited by Ilovefoxes: 07 December 2009 - 10:11 PM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Ilovefoxes, on Dec 8 2009, 07:09 PM, said:

Filefront Posted Image
- Problem with the download eventually failing.

I have never encountered this before.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 07 December 2009 - 10:16 PM

Sobek, on Dec 7 2009, 09:17 PM, said:

Testing out a new water texture. I've got a couple of others I'm using for my mod, but this was to be a replacement for the stock Duke3d water texture (the others are a bit... different :) );

That new water looks really, really cool!

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

Sobek, on Dec 7 2009, 09:17 PM, said:

Movement of the water looks alot more natural then the old water. Nice work! :)

User is offline   Sobek 

• There's coffee in that nebula!

Thanks. It's a total of 16 frames in length, as opposed to the original's 3, so it's got a full range of 'motion' to it instead of jittering back and forth between a few frames.

User is offline   gt1750 

Sobek, on Dec 8 2009, 05:17 AM, said:

Testing out a new water texture. I've got a couple of others I'm using for my mod, but this was to be a replacement for the stock Duke3d water texture (the others are a bit... different :lol: );

Smoother movement is a welcome addition, but right now it looks like a clean swimming pool water. I suggest applying the color from the original tiles and making the white bits darker.

Share this topic:

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options