Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   Sangman 

Doesn't look very water-y to me (think 'lightning') but no matter :lol:

User is offline   gt1750 

The problem is these tiles were generated by Caustics Generator. As the name suggests, the program is intended to generate caustic frames as an overlay for underwater textures, i.e. walls of a swimming pool. If you use the generated tiles as a water texture with no further photoshop editing, the result looks a bit out of place. Even the editing might not help that much.

What we need is a proper water shader (pretty please, Plagman :lol:)

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Why not just get an image of textured glass, make it tile-able and then use a warp tool for the animation?

User is offline   eddym4814 

Filefront
- Problem with the download eventually failing.

View PostThe Commander, on Dec 8 2009, 01:16 AM, said:

I have never encountered this before.

Filefront sporadically deletes inactive files. I've had a Filefront account for five years and never knew this until some of my files disappeared. A notice appears when you login saying you have five days to request the files not be deleted.

This post has been edited by eddym4814: 08 December 2009 - 02:25 PM

User is offline   Sobek 

• There's coffee in that nebula!

View Postgt1750, on Dec 9 2009, 05:41 AM, said:

Smoother movement is a welcome addition, but right now it looks like a clean swimming pool water. I suggest applying the color from the original tiles and making the white bits darker.

I'll give that a whirl today - I'm not sure why I didn't use the original colour in the first place. Wasn't thinking I guess :lol:

It's not very obvious in the video, but the normal maps are what make or break the texture. WHen you're closer to it and actually moving about, there's all of these little crests and peaks all over the surface that rise and fall with the texture... It looks great.

User is offline   Stabs 

i need a clean pool water tex, so hold on to that one :lol:

User is offline   NerdZilla 

i was thinking about how you guys have the new networking fution on the way. so i spent a few hours on remake temple from goldeneye. its a perfict scale model to the one made in perfict dark. i just took the blue prints off the net. had that on one labtop screen. well running perfict dark on a emu and mappster in another window from this labtop.

i'll give you guys a copy with the tiles from the 1.3 version of duke. that way its playable for anyone. =)

This post has been edited by NerdZilla: 09 December 2009 - 01:15 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Only lamers will use 1.3 when Atomic is only $5.99.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Dec 9 2009, 01:09 PM, said:

Only lamers will use 1.3 when Atomic is only $5.99.

well it would be a good idea to have everyone able to play so thay can get into the game.... i do remeber a time those lamers where treaded like real people.

This post has been edited by NerdZilla: 09 December 2009 - 01:22 PM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

That black and blue texture looks like it came from DukeVR... Hmmmmm

View PostThe Commander, on Dec 9 2009, 01:34 PM, said:

That black and blue texture looks like it came from DukeVR... Hmmmmm

i made that tile on my own a long time ago for some MGS maps i made. its more dark blue and light blue.
the pics im showing are not done. the grid just helps me to compear sizes from the old map.

This post has been edited by NerdZilla: 09 December 2009 - 04:25 PM

User is offline   Sobek 

• There's coffee in that nebula!

Ahhh memories...

Of sitting in a corner of that map with a FarSight XR-20 taking out everyone and everything in existence until the round was over.

Those were the days :lol:

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostNerdZilla, on Dec 9 2009, 04:20 PM, said:

well it would be a good idea to have everyone able to play so thay can get into the game.... i do remeber a time those lamers where treaded like real people.

No offense, but I don't think anyone getting into the game will play some usermap. Most likely they'd be playing the first episode. Once again, there's no real point in catering to people who were considered Luddites in 1998.

User is offline   Replica 

View PostTX, on Dec 5 2009, 10:16 AM, said:

Okay, I didn't want to say anything SPECIFIC until the first test over the Internet was performed, but now it has (and it was successful), so, here it is...

I coded true client/server multiplayer.

It features in-game joining.

It never goes out of sync, because it doesn't use a sync based system.

This is currently a prototype, but the code is now in svn, so you can be 1000% sure (not a typo) I'm making good on my claims, just like everything else I've dared to run my mouth about in the past.

More information forthcoming.

Replica <<<< likes this :lol:

I have always been waiting for someone to implement this for Duke and thought no one would ever do it.
I am glad you're working on this.

You could do so many things I hope there will be a dedicated option so people can run it on there dedicated server box.
And maybe one day spectator mode to watch players play inside the game or a private match :lol:.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostReplica, on Dec 10 2009, 07:39 AM, said:

You could do so many things I hope there will be a dedicated option so people can run it on there dedicated server box.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping for.

User is offline   kenia 

very nice :lol: (@ server/client code)

View Postkenia, on Dec 11 2009, 01:07 AM, said:

very nice :lol: (@ server/client code)

Holy shit, I thought you were dead. lol

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Dec 9 2009, 07:38 PM, said:

No offense, but I don't think anyone getting into the game will play some usermap. Most likely they'd be playing the first episode. Once again, there's no real point in catering to people who were considered Luddites in 1998.

I can download better games for free. im here because of E-duke. id rather make a donation to the work done on E-duke or saport e-duke sponsors. well playing DTA because that mod was made, for everyone.

and im working on a full mod.

This post has been edited by NerdZilla: 10 December 2009 - 07:16 PM

User is offline   kenia 

no im still alive!

and im planning to contribute something again, but... I said this already several times, maybe it will
not happen :lol:

View PostNerdZilla, on Dec 11 2009, 03:52 PM, said:

I can download better games for free. im here because of E-duke. id rather make a donation to the work done on E-duke or saport e-duke sponsors. well playing DTA because that mod was made, for everyone.

and im working on a full mod.

WG Realms 2 is a stand alone mod that doesn't suck as much as DTA does. :lol:

View PostThe Commander, on Dec 10 2009, 11:34 PM, said:

WG Realms 2 is a stand alone mod that doesn't suck as much as DTA does. :lol:

good point... person who made that mod. :lol:
i just got an idea for a good mod. >> The A-Team <<
now that you can pick a player, it seems perfict.

User is offline   kenia 

View PostNerdZilla, on Dec 11 2009, 09:15 AM, said:

good point... person who made that mod. :lol:
i just got an idea for a good mod. >> The A-Team <<
now that you can pick a player, it seems perfict.

sounds like a funny idea :lol:

There is the AMC TC.

Yeah not too rain on any parades here but AMC TC was the first to have this kind of thing :lol: Now it just needs to be released sometime soon...

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostSangman, on Dec 11 2009, 06:42 AM, said:

Yeah not too rain on any parades here but AMC TC was the first to have this kind of thing :lol: Now it just needs to be released sometime soon...

Actually I know of at least one group who was making mods with multiple player characters in the years before EDuke, using Duke 1.5. There's a lot of weird stuff that was done in the old days that isn't widely known.

User is offline   Geoffrey 

View PostSangman, on Dec 11 2009, 06:42 AM, said:

Not to rain on your parade but I do believe Naferia's Reign was already experimenting wildly with it, on top of what DT said.

Doesn't really rain on my parade, can't imagine how James feels though :lol: :lol:

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostSangman, on Dec 11 2009, 11:36 AM, said:

Doesn't really rain on my parade, can't imagine how James feels though :lol: :lol:

James feels fine. He's not trying to make his TC the first to have multiple player characters, he's trying to make it the best.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Yeah, there was a 1.5 Multiplayer mod where you could play as the aliens or Duke.

James has for a long time known of NR's multi-character capabilities, Sang. I talk to him a lot on MSN when I see him and sometimes we've traded the occasional idea or two. So I know he's not mad or depressed about it. o.o

And it's as DT said, it's not about who came first, it's how it's been executed by the mod creator. Now I know I'm lacking in mine to some degree, but part of it also has to do with not having much graphical know-how for sprites. I can program, I can write story, and I can guide my voice actors/actresses along and do what I can to make NR as good as possible as I can see it, but James has in many ways in my opinion been doing a lot of his stuff better and seems to have the better luck. I say better luck because even though I've come very far with NR from what I ever expected to do, the mod's technically existed since 1997, and it's nearly as old as Duke3D itself. :\

I might have found a couple more VAs for NR characters though, on the minor note of that subject, and for those who don't know yet, I've moved over to a somewhat more powerful computer, one that can actually run WGR2 decent. o.o Yay for me. :lol:

Oh and on a final pointless note and James is a potential VA for an NR character too, just in case anyone cared, which is probably unlikely. :lol:

This post has been edited by Lord Misfit: 11 December 2009 - 11:42 PM

Share this topic:

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options