Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] NBlood - Blood port based on EDuke32 - Duke4.net Forums

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] NBlood - Blood port based on EDuke32

User is offline   Tekedon 

View PostMr. Death, on 06 December 2019 - 11:08 AM, said:

Me and another user (Lazy Dog) both reported horrible frame pacing/stuttering issues w/ the latest versions of eduke32 about a month or so ago, but nobody ever addressed the problem for us. I still have the same stuttering/freezing issues w/ the latest builds of eduke32, and it only seems to happen in polymost with vsync enabled.

Here's the posts we made in the Ion Fury topic: https://forums.duke4.../page__st__3720

And here's Lazy Dog's bug report that nobody ever responded to: https://forums.duke4...c-frame-pacing/

Well that's a bummer.. :lol: I'm uploading a video which will be live here as soon as it's uploaded and processed.

https://youtu.be/Xfq8TMq-fCs

Stuttering starts at about 2:47 when I respawn after dying (which seems to be a coincidence) soon after the extreme freezing starts, really makes it unplayable for me.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Does setting FPS offset fix it for you as it did for Lazy Dog?

View PostPhredreeke, on 06 December 2019 - 11:42 AM, said:

Does setting FPS offset fix it for you as it did for Lazy Dog?

Nope, tried it just now. Same freezing.

User is offline   Mr. Death 

View PostTekedon, on 06 December 2019 - 11:22 AM, said:

Well that's a bummer.. :lol: I'm uploading a video which will be live here as soon as it's uploaded and processed.

https://youtu.be/Xfq8TMq-fCs

Stuttering starts at about 2:47 when I respawn after dying (which seems to be a coincidence) soon after the extreme freezing starts, really makes it unplayable for me.

Yeah I'm not sure if this is the exact same problem that me & Lazy Dog are having, but I think I finally narrowed down 8031 as the culprit for the vsync stuttering issue. Try 8030 and then 8031 to see if the problem persists.

BTW- do you have vsync enabled when these freezes happen? Do you also have the frame rate limiter enabled?

For me, I get horrible stuttering (pretty much unplayable) when I enable vsync but have the frame rate limiter disabled or set higher than my refresh rate (75hz). If I set the frame rate limiter to 75, and then make the offset -1, the game plays perfectly smooth w/ vsync enabled.

View PostMr. Death, on 06 December 2019 - 06:30 PM, said:

Yeah I'm not sure if this is the exact same problem that me & Lazy Dog are having, but I think I finally narrowed down 8031 as the culprit for the vsync stuttering issue. Try 8030 and then 8031 to see if the problem persists.

BTW- do you have vsync enabled when these freezes happen? Do you also have the frame rate limiter enabled?

For me, I get horrible stuttering (pretty much unplayable) when I enable vsync but have the frame rate limiter disabled or set higher than my refresh rate (75hz). If I set the frame rate limiter to 75, and then make the offset -1, the game plays perfectly smooth w/ vsync enabled.

No Vsync, framerate limited to 144 fps. Tried to limit fps to 60 as my monitor.. still freezing. I think this is related to something else since my harddrive goes crazy when freezing starts. Guess I'll just stick with BuildGDX at the moment or an older version of Eduke32 for Duke.

This post has been edited by Tekedon: 07 December 2019 - 03:30 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View Postoasiz, on 05 December 2019 - 12:54 PM, said:

https://lerppu.net/wannabethesis/ (wannabe-synthesis)

Some initial win64 builds of pce/nblood/rednukem
Plan is to automate these later on and have more frequent ones available.

These are all based on latest source code available from git.

NOTE: These are unofficial builds, while some light testing has been done, it's not fully clear on what might be broken compared to official binaries. Consider these experimental!

I did run through E1M1 on blood and it was smooth as hell, but still no guarantees :lol:

PCE = Recent Exhumed port
NBLOOD = Blood port
REDNUKEM = Redneck rampage AND Duke3D (Complete with original clipping and even plays the demos!)

Oh boy, this is the good stuff, thanks for doing this! It's nice to see an up to date build for NBlood finally and it's truly great stuff at this point.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Wow, I've never seen two of them at once:

Yeah, I think this still happens a "bit" too much compared to the original game. :lol:

And yeah, there is some stutter in NBlood too though I'm not exactly getting the one Tekedon does, only the "second half" of that: the game just drops in framerate and can even stop for a bit sometimes. Weird.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

I get the same burning man bug quite often and all EDuke based ports stutter for me. I only use NBlood for the palette emulation.

This post has been edited by thricecursed: 12 December 2019 - 11:45 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I guess the stutter will go away at some point again, it's just you know, something but other than that that the game is generally smoother than the last time I tried NBlood.

As for the burning dudes what annoys me is simply that it happens to me quite frequently too yet I have no idea what triggers it. Usually I have some kind of clue on this stuff but here? Nope, I got nothing. Maybe it has to do something with how I play, I mean I don't know how many people play the game on Well Done but I guess not that many. There cultists are throwing bundles of TNT instead of just the one stick so more stuff to burn I guess but I'm not sure if enemies can catch on fire from that and if I remember correctly what's on the video happened after using napalm anyway.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

We can troubleshoot the stuttering in Lazy Dog's thread: https://forums.duke4...c-frame-pacing/

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I love NBlood. I haven't had the chance to read through the whole thread, but the only things I notice that I would suggest featuring are the cutscenes and for the control buttons to be more configurable than they currently are (example: double tap mouse 3 binded as the autosave key is not currently possible). The gameplay seems to be spot on for me and I have not run into any stuttering problems.

https://lerppu.net/wannabethesis/ (wannabe-synthesis)

Plan is to automate these later on and have more frequent ones available.

These are all based on latest source code available from git.

NOTE: These are unofficial builds, while some light testing has been done, it's not fully clear on what might be broken compared to official binaries. Consider these experimental!

I did run through E1M1 on blood and it was smooth as hell, but still no guarantees :lol:

PCE = Recent Exhumed port
NBLOOD = Blood port
REDNUKEM = Redneck rampage AND Duke3D (Complete with original clipping and even plays the demos!)

Are there any plans to release 32-bit builds of these ports?

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMr. Death, on 19 December 2019 - 02:09 PM, said:

I believe the answer to that is that they want to do that one day but it's not setup to do that yet.

User is offline   Hoover1979 

Thanks for all your hard work. Blood is one of my favorite build engine games of all time (Possibly due to being a huge horror film fan since the 80's).

I bought Fresh Supply on Steam due to DOSbox version being slow, but it isn't right and buggy glitchy as hell, and I was introduced to Nblood in the fresh supply forums, by the Steam user Steven Seagull. I love it and play it all the time. I especially love the unlocked frame rate as I can make full use of mt VG278QR 165Hz G-Sync compatible Gaming monitor

I have a couple of requests.

Can we include 96,000Hz (Max for 5.1) and 192,000Hz (Max for 2.0 Sterio) as options for audio frequency?

As my Main rig has genuine 5.1 sound (sound Blaster Zx + Logitech z906 5.1 THX Speakers, can an option for real 5.1 (and 7.1 for those with better sound systems than In have) sound be added (maybe through OpenAL)?
I also have a Razer Krakken 7.1 USB2.0 headset for my laptop that only has 1 stereo jack for speakers. Is it also possible to add virtual 7.1 surrounds for the Kraken (and other headphones/headsets that have virtual surround)?

Is it possible to add Texture filtering and associated palette emulation? It's available in the old version but the skies are glitched. as an option, maybe with the ability to upscale the textures and sprites to HQ6x and 6XBrz for filtered textures that aren't blurry for people with higher-end systems and make it optional so purists can still play in unfiltered textures, giving a wider choice? I am a texture author in training working on an UltraHD Texture pack from Doom and one day I'd like to do this for Blood too (as an optional install) and I am not talking neural network upscaling, I'm talking about making 2K textures from scratch.

This is an example of my texture skills in training that I would love to make for Blood, one day: https://www.devianta...om-Texture-work

Please can you reply and let me know if you could do this in the future?

Thanking in advance Nick (Hoover1979).

This post has been edited by Hoover1979: 29 January 2020 - 07:21 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Aren't the debug builds supposed to be accompanied by a backtrace DLL?
"make ebacktrace" fails on current Win10/MSYS2. And the DLLs shipped with EDuke32 are more than five years old, actually.

Fix (64bit):
> pacman -S mingw-w64-x86_64-expat mingw-w64-x86_64-gettext

Working command line (64bit):
> gcc -O2 -std=gnu99 -ggdb -shared -Wall -Wextra -static-libgcc -o ebacktrace1-64.dll platform/Windows/src/backtrace.c -I/mingw64/include/binutils/ -L/mingw64/lib/binutils/ -lbfd -liberty -limagehlp -lintl
(I'm using "-Og" instead of "-O2 -std=gnu99" locally)

Fixing the make files accordingly should be easy.

View PostLunick, on 19 December 2019 - 02:12 PM, said:

View PostMr. Death, on 19 December 2019 - 02:09 PM, said:

I believe the answer to that is that they want to do that one day but it's not setup to do that yet.
Just like Ion Fury, they build out-of-the-box, actually. You may play around with these. Don't ask anyone for support, though.

View PostHoover1979, on 29 January 2020 - 07:10 AM, said:

This is an example of my texture skills in training that I would love to make for Blood, one day
Duke3D HRP would surely appreciate your contributions, too. :rolleyes:

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

View PostLeoD, on 29 January 2020 - 09:04 AM, said:

"make ebacktrace" fails on current Win10/MSYS2. And the DLLs shipped with EDuke32 are more than five years old, actually.

Fix (64bit):

> gcc -O2 -std=gnu99 -ggdb -shared -Wall -Wextra -static-libgcc -o ebacktrace1-64.dll platform/Windows/src/backtrace.c -I/mingw64/include/binutils/ -L/mingw64/lib/binutils/ -lbfd -liberty -limagehlp -lintl

Will have to check this at some point next week, I'm not using MSYS2 for these.
Thanks for the heads up.

• Weaponized Autism

There is no need to rebuild the backtrace DLL. Just ship the one in the package folder.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

View PostHoover1979, on 29 January 2020 - 07:10 AM, said:

Is it possible to add Texture filtering and associated palette emulation? It's available in the old version but the skies are glitched. as an option, maybe with the ability to upscale the textures and sprites to HQ6x and 6XBrz for filtered textures that aren't blurry for people with higher-end systems and make it optional so purists can still play in unfiltered textures, giving a wider choice?

Those kinda algorithms rarely do a good job. I believe when the subject came up it was said that even if licensing wasn't an issue those wouldn't be added.

View PostLeoD, on 29 January 2020 - 09:04 AM, said:

Fix (64bit):

Just like Ion Fury, they build out-of-the-box, actually. You may play around with these. Don't ask anyone for support, though.

Duke3D HRP would surely appreciate your contributions, too. :rolleyes:

Hey LeoD, thanks for uploading those 32-bit builds, I really appreciate it!

However, all of the regular executables (NBlood, RedNukem, PCExhumed) instantly crash before even starting, and the debug versions run but hang w/ a black screen for about 30 seconds after startup.

Any idea what might be causing this? The regular builds of eduke32 (32-bit) run fine for me...

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostMr. Death, on 30 January 2020 - 11:57 AM, said:

However, all of the regular executables (NBlood, RedNukem, PCExhumed) instantly crash before even starting
Oops, I forgot to disable the CPU specific optimizations in my build script. Try r4494.

View PostMr. Death, on 30 January 2020 - 11:57 AM, said:

the debug versions run but hang w/ a black screen for about 30 seconds after startup.
Any idea what might be causing this?
Please refer to oasiz' documentation, aka autobuild.txt. :rolleyes:

View PostLeoD, on 30 January 2020 - 02:01 PM, said:

Oops, I forgot to disable the CPU specific optimizations in my build script. Try r4494.

Thanks LeoD, they work perfectly now!

As a side note to the developers- the 32-bit builds of these ports still have those weird polymost graphical glitches/distortions that were originally reported here: https://forums.duke4...tches-in-r7438/

I know that 32-bit builds aren't a high priority, but I just thought I'd mention it since that specific problem has been fixed in the mainline eduke32 releases for a while.

• Weaponized Autism

If rebuilt with -msse they should be fixed.

View PostHendricks266, on 30 January 2020 - 05:56 PM, said:

If rebuilt with -msse they should be fixed.

Oh, okay cool! That's good to hear that those glitches aren't normally present.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to create/build 32-bit versions from the source code, so I guess I'll just have to wait until they're officially released.

Are there any plans to have 32-bit versions of the auto-builds anytime soon?

Thanks!

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

View PostLeoD, on 30 January 2020 - 02:01 PM, said:

Huh? Maybe I missed something

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

View PostMr. Death, on 31 January 2020 - 02:20 PM, said:

Are there any plans to have 32-bit versions of the auto-builds anytime soon?

Not at the moment. I disabled those after it was discovered that those had a broken polymost setup along with instability (i.e. pitchfork against a wall would crash).
I would need to setup a newer mingw + GCC and all to begin debugging this further, haven't had time recently to get in to this.

View Postoasiz, on 01 February 2020 - 01:15 AM, said:

Not at the moment. I disabled those after it was discovered that those had a broken polymost setup along with instability (i.e. pitchfork against a wall would crash).
I would need to setup a newer mingw + GCC and all to begin debugging this further, haven't had time recently to get in to this.

Alrighty :rolleyes:

Well I'll definitely be first in line to try 'em out if/when they are released!

Thanks!

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I'm curious about something. I started playing the newest NBlood because the new mouse aiming is wonderful and what became almost instantly apparent is that the port just "renders" the game better than EDuke32 / RedNukem does. It's like if NBlood was a lot better at fps interpolation or something: the frame pacing seems and feels excellent and if you run the game at a crazy high fps screen tearing just stops being an issue even on a 60 hz screen (so it works how a modern game works essentially). Meanwhile EDuke32 / RedNukem can have quite massive screen tearing with the frame pacing being a bit jumpy lately.

So why is NBlood better and will those improvements come to EDuke32?

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 01 February 2020 - 11:39 AM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

I think one key difference is that blood's game portion is a bit easier due to lack of CON.

Worst case it can stall rendering updates since gameplay loop isn't complete for the frame.
Make CON complex and bottlenecks start to appear.

Other than that, eduke32 should have parity with n-ports (it's the other way around, n-ports merge updated code FROM eduke32)

use r_showfps 3 to see GU times (game update) and maybe it can help you.

User is offline   Hoover1979 

Is there a chance in a future update for the ability to set the sound mix rate higher than 48000hz? WHen I have my PC connected to my 5.1 speakers I use 96000hz and when my PC is on the go and I use stereo speakers I use 192000hz. I'd love to be able to set this in NBlood too.

Found a couple of bugs:

the game crash when opening the automap.

Posted Image

I found how to replicate it:

load a map through the console. (starting an episode from the menu doesn't trigger the bug)
save your game.
close NBlood.
open it again.
load the save.
try to open the automap.

Also, again, if you load a map through the console the game doesn't know what episode is from, so the switch at the end of the map ends the episode. even stock maps.

I'm using release 2271, downloaded from https://lerppu.net/w...ethesis/nblood/

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 15 February 2020 - 12:50 PM

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options