Duke4.net Forums: DNF Modding Discoveries - Duke4.net Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DNF Modding Discoveries  "Posting my findings on DNF"

User is offline   stumppy84 

It’s a shame you can’t access the mighty foot when ever you want.. I guess the increase in executions will help. I think making it a faster pace game will help quite a bit.

View PostFuturetime23, on 09 November 2018 - 06:33 PM, said:

Noted.

I've been considering as a sidenote, IF the TPEgo system gets implemented as I've been giving the system a bit more thought, to remove the strip club levels (BB/Titty city) since the main reason to play them (interact with the environment to gain ego upgrades) is gone.
Maybe they'll be kept as bonus levels you can access from the chapter select menu.

If it comes to that, maybe you can add inanimate girls/pods throughout the levels like how Duke3D did, or easter eggs like Shadow Warriors. Just an idea, ain't a Duke Nukem game if you take away his chicks.

Oh I wasn't planning to remove the podgirls. I think they add to the horror of the hive level (sans the dumb lines they occasionally say that will be removed, rest assured)
I was actually considering adding a few more to the dam section given the infestation theme going on there. Again, this is just part of trying to make the game more serious and dark, and less of that dumb meme reference tone the game had.

View PostFuturetime23, on 10 November 2018 - 05:20 PM, said:

Oh I wasn't planning to remove the podgirls. I think they add to the horror of the hive level (sans the dumb lines they occasionally say that will be removed, rest assured)
I was actually considering adding a few more to the dam section given the infestation theme going on there. Again, this is just part of trying to make the game more serious and dark, and less of that dumb meme reference tone the game had.

Yeah, one of the most serious moment is when you knock one out and Duke comments that not even he can save you now. Maybe you can keep the Holsom pod sequence in the Hive as a tutorial/introduction for exploding Octobabies, just delete all the dialogue. Unless you were planning something else.

No, no twins whatsoever.
let the player see the podgirl give birth to octababies and die naturally via gameplay rather than shove a cutscene (even with no dialogue) down your throat.

Well, are you gonna remove them from the dice intro?

Who said there's gonna be a dice intro?

I don't want to spoil yet what the intro is gonna be like :rolleyes:

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Getting rid of the twins eh? Now there's a change I can definitely get behind.

The initial idea behind the twins wasn't necessarily bad, but my God they fucked it up in the final game.

View PostFuturetime23, on 14 November 2018 - 07:54 PM, said:

Who said there's gonna be a dice intro?

I don't want to spoil yet what the intro is gonna be like :rolleyes:

Hopefully, it doesn't disappoint, because you're getting me hyped up for the unknown.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

You shouldn't be disappointed in anything. You should be thankful anyone is even modding DNF.

• Judge Mental

No shit. Especially considering those that tried in the early days of DNF's release were basically actively blocked. So much so that the only guy developing any real tools to try and mod DNF, Rich Whitehouse, gave up on DNF support for Noesis.(He may have since gone back and finished up support. I'm not sure.)

There are just somethings that will never happen with DNF, i'm afraid. Not with out the actual editor.

Still, props to whoever manages to crack things open and make shit happen.

View PostJimmy 4k, on 15 November 2018 - 12:12 AM, said:

You shouldn't be disappointed in anything. You should be thankful anyone is even modding DNF.

I am grateful that someone is able to mod DNF, let alone actually someone sitting down and doing it. I enjoyed the official game a lot and was disheartened that majority of the people didn't see it the same way. I still play DNF multiplayer on PC and there's a small fanbase that still plays; and grateful for that too.

Just the intro man, it's pretty good already; reciting the events of Duke3D and the dice intro.

Truth be told I don't like the DN3D intro either.
Not because of what it is conceptually, or the aesthetics of it - it's the really, REALLY stiff almost robotic animation that kills it for me. Editing is also a bit shit there as well. Looks like the intro was never properly finished tbf.

What did you think of the Grabbag 2011, the Duke Nukem Forever Theme?

Liked it, thought it was decent, but it's not gonna be the theme of the overhaul.

• Judge Mental

View PostFuturetime23, on 15 November 2018 - 12:28 PM, said:

Truth be told I don't like the DN3D intro either.
Not because of what it is conceptually, or the aesthetics of it - it's the really, REALLY stiff almost robotic animation that kills it for me. Editing is also a bit shit there as well. Looks like the intro was never properly finished tbf.

It was a later-day addition I think. Like borderline last minute.

Honestly I think a minimalistic approach to the intro would be better. Like a short prose with narration. Something more mythical, reflective of the era that Duke came from. Like the opening to Highlander or The Terminator.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Duke Nukem games don't need intros. Give the man a gun.

I would love to hear music and sound suggestions from you guys.
I have some songs and sounds set in but I don't mind suggestions being made by users.

View PostFuturetime23, on 16 November 2018 - 03:15 PM, said:

I would love to hear music and sound suggestions from you guys.
I have some songs and sounds set in but I don't mind suggestions being made by users.

Definitely level-based music on a loop. Duke Burger with the actual Duke Burger theme playing the whole time. Are there any high-res versions of the door sounds from Duke 3D? Also the trooper aliens sound wimpy in DNF. Something more intimidating. Keep up the good work!

I'm actually not really interested in level based music on a loop. I like how DNF has music on specific occassions/events. The issue i'd say is WHAT music is used. about 75% of DNF's music is just terrible. As an example, Action 05 might be one of the worst action themes of all time, yet it gets used like 5 times in the game. (it's the theme that plays during the first battlelord fight)

What I'd say I need suggestions for sounds specifically are for the machinegun, at laser and captain laser.

This post has been edited by Futuretime23: 16 November 2018 - 08:07 PM

View PostFuturetime23, on 16 November 2018 - 07:33 PM, said:

I'm actually not really interested in level based music on a loop. I like how DNF has music on specific occassions/events. The issue i'd say is WHAT music is used. about 75% of DNF's music is just terrible. As an example, Action 05 might be one of the worst action themes of all time, yet it gets used like 5 times in the game. (it's the theme that plays during the first battlelord fight)

What I'd say I need suggestions for are sounds for the machinegun, at laser and captain laser.

Honestly, I only liked the Ghost Town and the Mothership music.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I agree most of the music is rubbish. Should have gone with Soule. If I wasn't neck-deep in projects and RL issues I'd offer to rewrite the entire soundtrack.

• Judge Mental

There is a high quality sound pack for Duke 3D that replaces as many of the original sounds with their high quality versions.

http://www.mediafire...undPack_wav.rar
http://www.perkristi..._duke3d_sfx.zip

Some ideas for sound replacements. The Doom 3 Alpha chaingun sound might work well for a replacement sound for the horribly stock stationary turrets in the game, depending on how many of them you end up keeping.
For the ripper sound you might try something like a mix of the RTCW silenced SMG sound mixed with the HL2 SMG sound. The two sounds together would give you a bitey sound that is also somewhat reminiscent of the Duke 3D sound effect.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 17 November 2018 - 07:05 AM, said:

I agree most of the music is rubbish. Should have gone with Soule. If I wasn't neck-deep in projects and RL issues I'd offer to rewrite the entire soundtrack.

Keep in mind we don't really have a budget atm, we can't pay anyone any money.

Here are the songs atm that will be kept: Action 1 and 2, mothership, ambient 2 and 3, ghost town (all of it), valkyries remix, the lenoman themes, random background music that's honestly pretty decent (strippers, random rawk, muzak, grabbag elevator, prepd, all of the stingers and the dlc start specifically) and maybe mine battle 01b and double barrel but I'm really not sure if they'll stay in.

A LOT is getting cut out, all of the dam battle themes, any action theme that's not 1 or 2, battle4vegas, the hive, queen and leech themes, any ambient theme that's not 2 or 3, cycloid theme, hallofmeat, dlc music etc. Even occassions where a decent/okay theme got reused may potentially get replaced (like action 1 for Proton for example)

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Oh, I wasn't expecting to be paid for it. It would be a passion project. But my commercial ventures do take priority right now.

What about Majini IX -In Flames during Blowin' the Dam: Part 2?

View PostRedxplatinum, on 19 November 2018 - 09:04 PM, said:

What about Majini IX -In Flames during Blowin' the Dam: Part 2?

Not a bad song, but I don't think it fits the tense escape sequence. As a sidenote, I wasn't planning on replacing the escape theme, I thought that was a pretty decent song and fit the level well.

The only music a Duke Nukem game needs is the sound of the guns.

User is offline   Maisth 

View PostAltered Reality, on 20 November 2018 - 11:15 AM, said:

The only music a Duke Nukem game needs is the sound of the guns.

I'm not so sure about this, I mean getting a Duke game without It's iconic Grabbag theme would feel off, and as for level music, it would certainly feel dull without it, Music adds to the immersion of the game, there's no reason not to have it.

I need volunteers for texture editing. Keep in mind, this is for free, I can't pay you any money.

Send me a PM if you want to contribute to the overhaul project.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options