Duke4.net Forums: DNF Modding Discoveries - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

  • 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DNF Modding Discoveries  "Posting my findings on DNF"

#151

View Postspessu_sb, on 11 March 2019 - 07:36 AM, said:

There perhaps could've been more enemies in the actual game, but you want to make sure that it doesn't turn into Serious Sam or Painkiller either. Afterall, classic fps weren't just about slaughtering hordes of enemies all the time (which SS and PK are all about) in a linear shaped map but encountering intricately designed individually placed enemies. Light jump scares, pack of enemies, couple enemies, one enemy.. horde of enemies. Variety, not just horde of enemies all the time like a lawn mower mowin grass, no. Variety and freedom offering level design where exploring isn't punished by "kill in 10seconds" screens or invisible walls over hood of a car..

If enemies are added in (and they will) it's more to cover up places that had no enemies (DNF has way too many sections where nothing happens. There's nothing wrong with having a break per level but DNF takes this too far, to the point of several parts of levels being literally devoid of any combat whatsoever, like DB part 1) and they will be classic style placements (I can't figure out how to get factories functioning for me, and also, most enemies are spawned via said factories. DNF has very few classic style enemy spawns)
Also, I want to tone down a bit on the arena style level design whenever possible (such as the example described with the nighttime vegas level prototype) but always keep in mind what I can do is limited and some levels can't have their arenas removed otherwise they make no sense or are too cut down to be enjoyable (such as DB part 3, or clone carousel's start)
0

User is offline   stumppy84 

#152

I think you are right in your assessment that there were boring parts with zero action. I donít want a Serious Sam number on the screen, but filling it out in those areas seems like a goood idea.
0

User is offline   spessu_sb 

#153

View PostFuturetime23, on 11 March 2019 - 03:19 PM, said:

If enemies are added in (and they will) it's more to cover up places that had no enemies (DNF has way too many sections where nothing happens. There's nothing wrong with having a break per level but DNF takes this too far, to the point of several parts of levels being literally devoid of any combat whatsoever, like DB part 1) and they will be classic style placements (I can't figure out how to get factories functioning for me, and also, most enemies are spawned via said factories. DNF has very few classic style enemy spawns)
Also, I want to tone down a bit on the arena style level design whenever possible (such as the example described with the nighttime vegas level prototype) but always keep in mind what I can do is limited and some levels can't have their arenas removed otherwise they make no sense or are too cut down to be enjoyable (such as DB part 3, or clone carousel's start)

What you are planning to do, sounds good to me. Those sections indeed are boring where no music is playing, no one is encountered and practically nothing happens. I fully support the idea if you can logically/naturally manage to add enemies on those sections.

I am fully aware that you cannot alter actual level geometry, do harder script editing or so due to DNF not having full toolset available. Reason I spoke about level design on my earlier post was just to make a point. Too many people think old fps was just about moving forward and killing hordes, eventho that's not the case.

Looking forward to the stuff you can mod.
0

#154

Could you start a ModDB page for your project? It would it easier for players to keep track of it and it might help spread the word about it.
0

#155

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 19 March 2019 - 04:19 AM, said:

Could you start a ModDB page for your project? It would it easier for players to keep track of it and it might help spread the word about it.

I was thinking of doing that, but once the DNFO mod comes out...when it's done obviously. ;)
1

#156

Recently I was able to figure out how to get DLC guns working in the campaign. ATM it's very impractical and requires a lot of editactor trickery but it's still worth pointing out.
First, find an object you can destroy (this includes enemies) then go inside that object's editactor window and click (inside the destruction section) on spawnondestroyed or spawnondestroyedsimple (for the sake of this tutorial, we'll go with simple)
there, add the class of the dlc gun, so for instance the expander is Class'DLC03_Game.ExpanderPickup'
Destroy the object and then pick up the expander. Now, BEFORE you switch to the expander, you need to go inside the expander's editactor window, go inside none, and edit the crosshairindex to a lower value than the default. This is because the game crashes as it tries loading a nonexistent crosshair which doesn't exist inside dngame.dll
Once you do this, THEN you switch to the gun and voila!
https://media.discor...1157&height=680

There can be some minor glitches, and I haven't tested all the guns yet. In the case of the expander, the fx when the enemies bloat doesn't play, and a second shot doesn't instakill them, but the bloating properties work fine.
In the case of the DFG gun, anims don't seem to play out properly but the gun works fine otherwise.
0

#157

Any ideas for Duke bots?
0

User is offline   ReiKaz 

#158

Anyone knows method how to repack sounds? I just found only way by compressing. But when starting game just starting play all audios/sfx's non stop!! Is format wrong, or needs some hex edits?
0

#159

View PostReiKaz, on 20 February 2020 - 06:47 PM, said:

Anyone knows method how to repack sounds? I just found only way by compressing. But when starting game just starting play all audios/sfx's non stop!! Is format wrong, or needs some hex edits?

The only method that I know that works is to find the sounds inside sounds.dat via hex editor and then inject the new sound over it, without inserting new bytes or deleting old bytes.
0

#160

Hello, don't know if you're still at this but me playing a lot of Halo recently. If it's not too much trouble there a way to code the game so it loads specifically at the checkpoint without having to load the entire game again?
0

#161

View PostRedxplatinum, on 25 March 2020 - 04:25 PM, said:

Hello, don't know if you're still at this but me playing a lot of Halo recently. If it's not too much trouble there a way to code the game so it loads specifically at the checkpoint without having to load the entire game again?

That's completely out of my expertise and I don't think atm it's possible either. Sorry!

This post has been edited by Futuretime23: 27 March 2020 - 02:00 AM

0

#162

View PostFuturetime23, on 27 March 2020 - 02:00 AM, said:

That's completely out of my expertise and I don't think atm it's possible either. Sorry!


Playing the mod again, it probably won't work as well as I thought. Dying and resetting the level grants ammo and health back so it'll be better to just keep it as is. :D

This post has been edited by Redxplatinum: 28 March 2020 - 05:28 PM

0

User is offline   OpenMaw 

  • Judge Mental

#163

It's not a question of whether it would be a good idea or not. It's not physically possible as that would be buried inside the code. Which we don't have.
0

#164

View PostCommando Nukem, on 02 April 2020 - 02:03 AM, said:

It's not a question of whether it would be a good idea or not. It's not physically possible as that would be buried inside the code. Which we don't have.


No the question is whether if it's a good idea or not. Even if it's possible we shouldn't do it because it's not a good idea.
0

User is offline   OpenMaw 

  • Judge Mental

#165

View PostRedxplatinum, on 08 April 2020 - 06:36 PM, said:

No the question is whether if it's a good idea or not. Even if it's possible we shouldn't do it because it's not a good idea.


Oooh, touche'. Got me there.

No, it can't be done, so it's a moot point.



0

#166

Time to break the bad news.
DNFO has been cancelled.
I have no real drive to finish this project and I was lately only working on it out of a sense of obligation, no longer having fun with it.
I may do a final update for the classic mod, but that's a big maybe.

Feel free to bitch at me.

Sorry for letting you guys down.
0

User is offline   stumppy84 

#167

Dang, that is sad.. I was looking forward to it. If you do release an update that would be awesome. Were you ever able to place more enemies in the levels?
0

#168

View Poststumppy84, on 30 May 2020 - 09:07 PM, said:

Dang, that is sad.. I was looking forward to it. If you do release an update that would be awesome. Were you ever able to place more enemies in the levels?


I was, it's just that it's fucking ugly as shit as it's all save as map hacks which ultimately became a pain in the ass to work with + it's glitchy in that if you go into another save as map hack level AND you didn't load a checkpoint/die previously, it replaces your guns with the ones in the save as map file as opposed to your current inventory.
0

User is offline   Zach Fett 

#169

View PostRedxplatinum, on 04 November 2018 - 05:42 AM, said:

I was able to drive in first person with the current DNF, by editing the user.ini. The truck was the most difficult to drive in fp because you view is so high above the ground and it hard to see where you're driving. First peron view with the RC Car and forklift was awesome though.

What did you add to the ini file to drive in first person?

It's a real shame to hear the mod will no longer be worked on.. I hope someone else will pick up where you've left off.

This post has been edited by Zach Fett: 25 June 2020 - 07:57 PM

0

User is offline   xMobilemux 

#170

As someone who already liked the base DNF, revisiting the game with your mod installed has just made me like the game even more.

Such a shame that you've stopped working on it.
1

#171

what would you rate the game with the mod on and without it?

"Such a shame that you've stopped working on it."

Spoiler


This post has been edited by Futuretime23: 17 July 2020 - 10:10 AM

0

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

  • Buy Mage's Initiation!

#172

Stop playing games with our hearts!
0

User is offline   xMobilemux 

#173

View PostFuturetime23, on 17 July 2020 - 10:09 AM, said:

what would you rate the game with the mod on and without it?

Off - A guilty pleasure.
On - Flirting with DOOM 2016.

EDIT:
Some things I would comment on is that until you could figure out a way to get health back, you should either turn Regen health back on or my suggestion would be to make enemies go into execution state WAY more often to make it closer to DOOM's glory kill mechanic, because playing with this mod does make some of the fights resemble DOOM with having to execute the enemies to keep my health up.

Also put the health of the Pregnators back down, they are annoying as hell.

Also I don't know if it's related to this mod or not, but I can't the uncensored nude patches or the console downgrader to work with DNF anymore.

Quote

"Such a shame that you've stopped working on it."

Spoiler


https://media1.tenor.com/images/eeaecc490d3e963877052e0081c8bb78/tenor.gif

This post has been edited by xMobilemux: 17 July 2020 - 07:48 PM

2

User is offline   stumppy84 

#174

Hopefully you will keep working on it. Iím sure others here would pitch in also.
0

Share this topic:


  • 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options