Duke4.net Forums: DNF Modding Discoveries - Duke4.net Forums

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DNF Modding Discoveries  "Posting my findings on DNF"

User is online   Futuretime23 

View Postspessu_sb, on 11 March 2019 - 07:36 AM, said:

There perhaps could've been more enemies in the actual game, but you want to make sure that it doesn't turn into Serious Sam or Painkiller either. Afterall, classic fps weren't just about slaughtering hordes of enemies all the time (which SS and PK are all about) in a linear shaped map but encountering intricately designed individually placed enemies. Light jump scares, pack of enemies, couple enemies, one enemy.. horde of enemies. Variety, not just horde of enemies all the time like a lawn mower mowin grass, no. Variety and freedom offering level design where exploring isn't punished by "kill in 10seconds" screens or invisible walls over hood of a car..

If enemies are added in (and they will) it's more to cover up places that had no enemies (DNF has way too many sections where nothing happens. There's nothing wrong with having a break per level but DNF takes this too far, to the point of several parts of levels being literally devoid of any combat whatsoever, like DB part 1) and they will be classic style placements (I can't figure out how to get factories functioning for me, and also, most enemies are spawned via said factories. DNF has very few classic style enemy spawns)
Also, I want to tone down a bit on the arena style level design whenever possible (such as the example described with the nighttime vegas level prototype) but always keep in mind what I can do is limited and some levels can't have their arenas removed otherwise they make no sense or are too cut down to be enjoyable (such as DB part 3, or clone carousel's start)

User is offline   stumppy84 

I think you are right in your assessment that there were boring parts with zero action. I donít want a Serious Sam number on the screen, but filling it out in those areas seems like a goood idea.

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View PostFuturetime23, on 11 March 2019 - 03:19 PM, said:

If enemies are added in (and they will) it's more to cover up places that had no enemies (DNF has way too many sections where nothing happens. There's nothing wrong with having a break per level but DNF takes this too far, to the point of several parts of levels being literally devoid of any combat whatsoever, like DB part 1) and they will be classic style placements (I can't figure out how to get factories functioning for me, and also, most enemies are spawned via said factories. DNF has very few classic style enemy spawns)
Also, I want to tone down a bit on the arena style level design whenever possible (such as the example described with the nighttime vegas level prototype) but always keep in mind what I can do is limited and some levels can't have their arenas removed otherwise they make no sense or are too cut down to be enjoyable (such as DB part 3, or clone carousel's start)

What you are planning to do, sounds good to me. Those sections indeed are boring where no music is playing, no one is encountered and practically nothing happens. I fully support the idea if you can logically/naturally manage to add enemies on those sections.

I am fully aware that you cannot alter actual level geometry, do harder script editing or so due to DNF not having full toolset available. Reason I spoke about level design on my earlier post was just to make a point. Too many people think old fps was just about moving forward and killing hordes, eventho that's not the case.

Looking forward to the stuff you can mod.

User is online   johnnythewolf 

Could you start a ModDB page for your project? It would it easier for players to keep track of it and it might help spread the word about it.

johnnythewolf, on 19 March 2019 - 04:19 AM, said:

Could you start a ModDB page for your project? It would it easier for players to keep track of it and it might help spread the word about it.

I was thinking of doing that, but once the DNFO mod comes out...when it's done obviously. ;)

Recently I was able to figure out how to get DLC guns working in the campaign. ATM it's very impractical and requires a lot of editactor trickery but it's still worth pointing out.
First, find an object you can destroy (this includes enemies) then go inside that object's editactor window and click (inside the destruction section) on spawnondestroyed or spawnondestroyedsimple (for the sake of this tutorial, we'll go with simple)
there, add the class of the dlc gun, so for instance the expander is Class'DLC03_Game.ExpanderPickup'
Destroy the object and then pick up the expander. Now, BEFORE you switch to the expander, you need to go inside the expander's editactor window, go inside none, and edit the crosshairindex to a lower value than the default. This is because the game crashes as it tries loading a nonexistent crosshair which doesn't exist inside dngame.dll
Once you do this, THEN you switch to the gun and voila!
https://media.discor...1157&height=680

There can be some minor glitches, and I haven't tested all the guns yet. In the case of the expander, the fx when the enemies bloat doesn't play, and a second shot doesn't instakill them, but the bloating properties work fine.
In the case of the DFG gun, anims don't seem to play out properly but the gun works fine otherwise.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Instead of reading this text, you could be playing Ion Maiden! ;) © 2018 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options