Duke4.net Forums: DNF Modding Discoveries - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

  • 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DNF Modding Discoveries  "Posting my findings on DNF"

#121

View PostFuturetime23, on 21 November 2018 - 02:03 PM, said:

I need volunteers for texture editing. Keep in mind, this is for free, I can't pay you any money.

Send me a PM if you want to contribute to the overhaul project.

I would share this DNF's steam page but don't know if Gearbox is a lookin'.
0

#122

View PostMaisth, on 21 November 2018 - 12:02 PM, said:

I'm not so sure about this, I mean getting a Duke game without It's iconic Grabbag theme would feel off, and as for level music, it would certainly feel dull without it, Music adds to the immersion of the game, there's no reason not to have it.

Grabbag doesn't play while you're playing, and personally, I feel more immersed if I can hear the distant ambient sounds coming from all directions, which give me the illusion of being in a real place and which music would drown out. If, instead, a game goes completely silent whenever there's no action, it just means its sound direction was sloppy and music was just used to mask the flaw.
0

#123

View PostAltered Reality, on 24 November 2018 - 05:20 AM, said:

Grabbag doesn't play while you're playing, and personally, I feel more immersed if I can hear the distant ambient sounds coming from all directions, which give me the illusion of being in a real place and which music would drown out. If, instead, a game goes completely silent whenever there's no action, it just means its sound direction was sloppy and music was just used to mask the flaw.


I liked that about Duke 64. But I'm biased, it was the first Duke I played.
0

User is online   MusicallyInspired 

  • Buy Mage's Initiation!

#124

I need my music.
2

#125

View PostAltered Reality, on 24 November 2018 - 05:20 AM, said:

Grabbag doesn't play while you're playing, and personally, I feel more immersed if I can hear the distant ambient sounds coming from all directions, which give me the illusion of being in a real place and which music would drown out. If, instead, a game goes completely silent whenever there's no action, it just means its sound direction was sloppy and music was just used to mask the flaw.


I thought about this for a while. I felt the music in Duke3D worked because you're always trying to figure out beat the level. The uninterrupted music brought a bit of atmosphere and concentration for the player. Dark Side for example; very spoopy. Then comes a game like Half-life, very linear you never really have to look hard to find out where you're supposed to go. The game uses a lot of ambient noises like sirens, water noises, bulleyes splashes, feetsteps, and so on. I guess this what you meant by 'immersed,' because it makes you feel like you're actually in there. But very lackluster when you're stuck in a room fighting the boss and there's no music to help you get motivated.

The way DNF did it, the silence stood for a sigh of relief, and music kicks in when the game wants you to 'feel' a certain mood; whether adrenaline or spoopy. I remember Resident Evil 5 did a lot of this, when the music stopped, you've killed everything you need to.
0

User is offline   spessu_sb 

#126

View PostFuturetime23, on 16 November 2018 - 07:33 PM, said:

I'm actually not really interested in level based music on a loop. I like how DNF has music on specific occassions/events. The issue i'd say is WHAT music is used. about 75% of DNF's music is just terrible. As an example, Action 05 might be one of the worst action themes of all time, yet it gets used like 5 times in the game. (it's the theme that plays during the first battlelord fight)

What I'd say I need suggestions for sounds specifically are for the machinegun, at laser and captain laser.

I digged the unspoken DNF credits song and the un-used DNF 2003 sample.
0

#127

View PostRedxplatinum, on 24 November 2018 - 04:13 PM, said:


The way DNF did it, the silence stood for a sigh of relief, and music kicks in when the game wants you to 'feel' a certain mood; whether adrenaline or spoopy.


It also made the game feel predictable as whenever music came on, I knew there would be an ambush ahead.
2

#128

View Posthismasterplan, on 02 December 2018 - 03:56 PM, said:

It also made the game feel predictable as whenever music came on, I knew there would be an ambush ahead.


Then deal with it.
-5

#129

View PostRedxplatinum, on 03 December 2018 - 05:36 AM, said:

Then deal with it.


I have no doubt you can do much better with that style. No ill-will intended.
0

#130

View Posthismasterplan, on 03 December 2018 - 02:19 PM, said:

I have no doubt you can do much better with that style. No ill-will intended.


Not sure what you mean, but if there's an ambush you deal with it old-style.
0

User is offline   Commando Nukem 

  • Judge Mental

#131

View PostRedxplatinum, on 03 December 2018 - 05:36 AM, said:

Then deal with it.


Don't be a cunt.
1

#132

View PostCommando Nukem, on 03 December 2018 - 11:29 PM, said:

Don't be a cunt.


Not sure if the poster meant "deal with ambush" or "deal with he fact I'm using scripted music." Only thing that matters to me here is Duke and his fans.
0

#133

Haven't been around posting updates as of late due to another important modding project.
Once I'm done with that, I'll be back working on DNFO.

This post has been edited by Futuretime23: 04 December 2018 - 04:06 PM

0

#134

View PostRedxplatinum, on 03 December 2018 - 08:08 PM, said:

Not sure what you mean, but if there's an ambush you deal with it old-style.


Ha! I now realized I confused you for the OP. Never mind
0

#135

View PostCommando Nukem, on 03 December 2018 - 11:29 PM, said:

Don't be a cunt.


Oh, my bad. I didn't know suggesting people to deal with the alien ambush is cunt behavior.

I apologize.
0

User is online   MusicallyInspired 

  • Buy Mage's Initiation!

#136

It's the way you worded it. Dismissive and demeaning for no reason. Unless your name is "Jimmy" in real life, you're not allowed to do that.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 05 December 2018 - 06:15 AM

1

User is offline   Jim Rockford 

  • Banned on Rigel

#137

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 05 December 2018 - 06:15 AM, said:

It's the way you worded it. Dismissive and demeaning for no reason. Unless your name is "Jimmy" in real life, you're not allowed to do that.

LMAO
But yeah, the main reason that even I downvoted that post is not because it was cunty. I couldn't even figure out if it was cunty. It's a bizarre response, I wasn't sure what he meant by it. It was just really poor communication. I have no problem with people being cunty, just like be clear and make sense.
3

User is offline   Commando Nukem 

  • Judge Mental

#138

View PostRedxplatinum, on 04 December 2018 - 07:09 PM, said:

Oh, my bad. I didn't know suggesting people to deal with the alien ambush is cunt behavior.

I apologize.


Stop being a cunt already! JESUS.

View PostJimmy 4k, on 05 December 2018 - 02:16 PM, said:

LMAO
But yeah, the main reason that even I downvoted that post is not because it was cunty. I couldn't even figure out if it was cunty. It's a bizarre response, I wasn't sure what he meant by it. It was just really poor communication. I have no problem with people being cunty, just like be clear and make sense.



SHUT THE FUCK UP DONNY.! BIMMY JIMMY!
3

User is offline   Jim Rockford 

  • Banned on Rigel

#139

I am in love with you, call me.
0

#140

View PostJimmy 4k, on 08 December 2018 - 09:49 AM, said:

I am in love with you, call me.

Man, get a room you two! :wub:
0

User is offline   Commando Nukem 

  • Judge Mental

#141

View PostFuturetime23, on 09 December 2018 - 11:16 AM, said:

Man, get a room you two! :wub:


Fuck that. Right in the middle of city hall.
2

#142

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried to play online with the 0.3 mod? if so, were there any issues? how does the game play like in MP with more oldschool like mechanics?
0

#143

I made a match with the 0.3 mod on without the other players having the mod installed. Obvious problems were they couldn't select their guns upon pickup because they don't have the modified user.ini. Thus I brought 2 weapon limit back and only kept the no-regenarating health mod on. Problem with that is with lack of health kits, and there's no way to get hp back breaks the flow of the game.

I like it how the multiplayer maps in DNF were strategically made. With slower movements and regenerating health differing from "classic" arena shooters, DNF compensates itself with high damage and environment strategies. DNF maps have bunch of props that are useful for setting up mines, temporary cover, sniper's perch. Every "useful" are containing a good item/gun can be covered by another spot, and that cover spot is not foolproof as there's always a "backdoor" of sorts. I know, "Who the hell camps in a Duke game" but it is what's best for the DNF framework. I know many has already given up on DNF multiplayer, and the game entirely, but it's just so good! I'm still discovering new ways to play each map.

This post has been edited by Redxplatinum: 24 December 2018 - 10:10 PM

0

#144

View PostRedxplatinum, on 24 December 2018 - 10:08 PM, said:

I made a match with the 0.3 mod on without the other players having the mod installed. Obvious problems were they couldn't select their guns upon pickup because they don't have the modified user.ini. Thus I brought 2 weapon limit back and only kept the no-regenarating health mod on. Problem with that is with lack of health kits, and there's no way to get hp back breaks the flow of the game.

I like it how the multiplayer maps in DNF were strategically made. With slower movements and regenerating health differing from "classic" arena shooters, DNF compensates itself with high damage and environment strategies. DNF maps have bunch of props that are useful for setting up mines, temporary cover, sniper's perch. Every "useful" are containing a good item/gun can be covered by another spot, and that cover spot is not foolproof as there's always a "backdoor" of sorts. I know, "Who the hell camps in a Duke game" but it is what's best for the DNF framework. I know many has already given up on DNF multiplayer, and the game entirely, but it's just so good! I'm still discovering new ways to play each map.

Thing is, the fast speed movement is part of engine.u which also has the no weapon limit mod. The idea is that while you can't regen health, it's much easier to dodge stuff and get in and out of cover.
I appreciate you trying to get something going, but (and I know I'll come across as a bit of an asshole here) I need feedback with all players with the mod installed not just one player, otherwise it's not the intended experience.
0

#145

View PostFuturetime23, on 24 December 2018 - 11:11 PM, said:

Thing is, the fast speed movement is part of engine.u which also has the no weapon limit mod. The idea is that while you can't regen health, it's much easier to dodge stuff and get in and out of cover.
I appreciate you trying to get something going, but (and I know I'll come across as a bit of an asshole here) I need feedback with all players with the mod installed not just one player, otherwise it's not the intended experience.


No worries, I know how important it is to get feedback from lots of people (as intended). If anyone here wants to play with the mod on feel free to PM me or something. The DNF in the current state are not willing to try out the mod.
0

#146

I've talked about this on the discord, but I have not been lately working on DNFO.
The release date is still "when it's done" and I'm not sure when I'll get back to it. Sorry
Bunch of issues with my life that eventually led into a lack of interest in continuing this project for the time being.

This post has been edited by Futuretime23: 01 February 2019 - 02:35 PM

3

#147

New classic mod update released!
Attached File  DNF Classic style gameplay mod V0.4.rar (1.73MB)
Number of downloads: 150
A lot of new shit included, like new weapon balance changes, improved shadows and other misc graphics, improved gore/blood particles, easier dismemberment, and enemy changes! (say goodbye to berzerker pigcops grappling you!)
Admitedly you may end up overstocked on ammo with some guns but this is something that will be addressed come the DNFO 1.00 release. This is more of a proof of concept just so you guys see how the guns now play out.
And yes, DNFO is back in development (and actually has been for a while now)
7

User is offline   zwieback 

#148

Very nice! Need to try it out :)
0

User is online   stumppy84 

#149

View PostFuturetime23, on 03 March 2019 - 04:06 PM, said:

New classic mod update released!
Attachment DNF Classic style gameplay mod V0.4.rar
A lot of new shit included, like new weapon balance changes, improved shadows and other misc graphics, improved gore/blood particles, easier dismemberment, and enemy changes! (say goodbye to berzerker pigcops grappling you!)
Admitedly you may end up overstocked on ammo with some guns but this is something that will be addressed come the DNFO 1.00 release. This is more of a proof of concept just so you guys see how the guns now play out.
And yes, DNFO is back in development (and actually has been for a while now)


Yes!! Very excited that you are back working on it! How much more do you have planned? Are you going to add more enimes to the maps? I always thought that there should have been more.
0

User is offline   spessu_sb 

#150

View Poststumppy84, on 10 March 2019 - 03:13 PM, said:

Yes!! Very excited that you are back working on it! How much more do you have planned? Are you going to add more enimes to the maps? I always thought that there should have been more.

There perhaps could've been more enemies in the actual game, but you want to make sure that it doesn't turn into Serious Sam or Painkiller either. Afterall, classic fps weren't just about slaughtering hordes of enemies all the time (which SS and PK are all about) in a linear shaped map but encountering intricately designed individually placed enemies. Light jump scares, pack of enemies, couple enemies, one enemy.. horde of enemies. Variety, not just horde of enemies all the time like a lawn mower mowin grass, no. Variety and freedom offering level design where exploring isn't punished by "kill in 10seconds" screens or invisible walls over hood of a car..
0

Share this topic:


  • 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Instead of reading this text, you could be playing Ion Fury! ;) © 2019 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options