Duke4.net Forums: Alien Armageddon [RELEASE] - Duke4.net Forums

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alien Armageddon [RELEASE]  "showcasing sebabdukeboss20 characters with some enhancements"

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostDanukem, on 16 August 2021 - 12:19 PM, said:

The original Duke it Out in DC didn't have much new art or anything else that was new to the game, and the level design wasn't groundbreaking either. However, the levels were well made and they followed a logical progression

except for the yellow key card placement and some of the spaghetti pathing (especially after the blue key was used) in Smithsonian

This post has been edited by Forge: 17 August 2021 - 07:02 AM

User is offline   stojke 

Posted Image

Now I can sleep , 2 million at last.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

How did you do that without being taken to a finale?

User is offline   stojke 

View PostNinety-Six, on 18 November 2021 - 08:12 PM, said:

How did you do that without being taken to a finale?

Maximum points I could score, depending on what maps I get, on Damn Im Good was around 1.3m .

Posted Image

This time around I had to reset a level because I got stuck near the end. What I noticed is that while it did reset it I kept my score up until that point, so while I had the chance I reset the same level multiple times until I got the score I was after.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Poststojke, on 18 November 2021 - 10:19 PM, said:

This time around I had to reset a level because I got stuck near the end. What I noticed is that while it did reset it I kept my score up until that point, so while I had the chance I reset the same level multiple times until I got the score I was after.

That makes sense. If you skip a level entirely, the code that rolls the next map is triggered and it will load the final map if your player level is high enough. But if you are resetting the same map, that code doesn't trigger and it just restarts the map regardless, allowing you to keep doing it if you have enough map tokens.

EDIT: I could easily fix this exploit, but since the score mechanic isn't really used for anything important, I'll leave it alone for now.

This post has been edited by Danukem: 18 November 2021 - 10:59 PM

User is offline   stojke 

View PostDanukem, on 18 November 2021 - 10:54 PM, said:

EDIT: I could easily fix this exploit, but since the score mechanic isn't really used for anything important, I'll leave it alone for now.

I also got to keep my cash, allowing me to buy 460 base HP at this point in the screen shoot. Although its nice now enemies that spawn are completely insane. A pigcop tank lvl13 spawned with golden skin and rapid fire rocket side guns with reflect shield, super rapid fire lizards and terminators with rapid fire laser side guns :lol: Im lovin it.

[EDIT]

From what I remember before some times a trooper would rise up with an explosive in his hand and rush you, was that my imagination or was that removed? Also remember those space bulls rising up from the dead from time to time (Where Shelly would not shoot at them anymore). The game uses a lot of sounds from Unreal Tournament (Which is awesome) , if I may say so I would like to see more of that in terms of Xan Kreigor robot voice , maybe some special type dukinator when the EDF reinforcement is called, or maybe T-1000 idk :lol:
Does it make sense if there are two final upgrades for the RPG? (Like the expander has fan service and bff ray) For example the multiple rocket fire or a rocket with much higher damage (I really like to blow up stuff in this mod)

This post has been edited by stojke: 18 November 2021 - 11:57 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View Poststojke, on 18 November 2021 - 11:20 PM, said:

From what I remember before some times a trooper would rise up with an explosive in his hand and rush you, was that my imagination or was that removed?

It was removed. The zombie running animation was one of the death animation frames from the old art that was flipped horizontally back and forth in my code to simulate running. It was part of an older mod I made that was only code with no new art, and in that context it seemed clever but in AA it no longer matches the current trooper art and it wasn't worth keeping around.

Also remember those space bulls rising up from the dead from time to time (Where Shelly would not shoot at them anymore).

That sounds like a bug so hopefully that's been fixed which is why it's only a memory.

The game uses a lot of sounds from Unreal Tournament (Which is awesome) , if I may say so I would like to see more of that in terms of Xan Kreigor robot voice , maybe some special type dukinator when the EDF reinforcement is called, or maybe T-1000 idk :lol:
Does it make sense if there are two final upgrades for the RPG? (Like the expander has fan service and bff ray) For example the multiple rocket fire or a rocket with much higher damage (I really like to blow up stuff in this mod)

Yeah I wouldnt't mind using the Xan voice again, although I already did that for one of the enemies in my Duke Forces mod (the Star Wars based mod inspired by Dark Forces). EDIT: I might be going senile. I thought it was DF, but when I look through the sound files I don't see any Xan in thee...maybe it was a different mod.

As for weapon upgrades, my attention has turned to adding new playable characters, and when adding that many new weapons to make new characters its tough to go back and add more upgrades to the old characters.

This post has been edited by Danukem: 19 November 2021 - 12:42 AM

User is offline   stojke 

I cant help but be inspired by this mod youre making, in general I dont play much games besides this one and counter strike and so i keep it in mind from time to time during the day. A lot of enemies, and ofc the protagonists, have a lot of character and so I enjoyed the suicide trooper when it arose, had an idea that one would have to kick it while it displayed the bleeding choking animation or another way of ending him in order to truly prevent it. Also had a thought it would be nice to get special bonuses for fatality while the enemy is in that state. (Nothing more satisfying than getting a rest in pieces line when you blow some one up) which made me think (Warning - Random rant incoming!) that it would be nice to see more enemies with more character, like I will take the liberty to write here about a time i was on a stroll (I usually listen to music when I do so) I imagined a scene where 3 troopers simply drop in in a random thing such as a bathtub and they all have that 80s bad guy clothing and hair (Rambo etc) and some interesting regular weapons like the upgraded laser pistol and maybe some explosives just randomly dropping in to pwn you from nowhere (Crashing trough a wall :lol: ) with a cigar in mouth and plain sleeveless shirt one of them maybe as if they had their influence on earth haha

All in all if it means anything : best mod out there, great job, and all that you already probably heard, and I cant wait to see more! Peace , out.

User is offline   stojke 

Been playing some today and loaded a level Ice Station Colossus, a few things wrong with it, for one you have no way of knowing that the code for the door is 3590 (Had to watch a video for that) and also the UFO base texture is a Duke and Shelly splash screen image lol.
Posted Image

Also, while on the topic of maps, Apprehension Arizona... Nightmare map , for me at least, if you play on Damn im good. Almost always the starting weapons are crap. Would be nice if you could get a little help on that map if you get it early. At one point when you get the blue card the game spawned the jedy chick, hyper laser lizard, hyper tank, and plus you will face the monster behind the blue key door and all that with what? Five rounds of rocket launcher and idk some pistol ammo ("https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo15zjvbZ_E").
Or maybe a way to call in some guns like in Counter Strike Global Offensive Danger Zone mod?

• Duke Plus Developer

View Poststojke, on 12 December 2021 - 01:56 PM, said:

Been playing some today and loaded a level Ice Station Colossus, a few things wrong with it, for one you have no way of knowing that the code for the door is 3590
[img]https://i.imgur.com/UJyU1yK.png

In AA, nightvision goggles reveal dipswitch patterns. The code is somewhere in the map, though...but I use the goggles.

View Poststojke, on 12 December 2021 - 01:56 PM, said:

Also, while on the topic of maps, Apprehension Arizona... Nightmare map , for me at least, if you play on Damn im good.

I play on CGS and don't have any issues with that map. DIG is indeed nightmarish in AA.

• Duke Plus Developer

There's a big update coming out next month, with a new playable character and some other new content, as well as bug fixes and balance changes.

User is offline   stojke 

I did not know about the night vision googles :D Thanks for the tip.
Kudos for the update.

User is offline   stojke 

Is Duke Nukem Forever 2013 somehow playable in Alien Armageddon?
Also, replayed the first new episode, loved the Dr Proton fight and the changes in the beginning.

• Duke Plus Developer

View Poststojke, on 21 January 2022 - 03:58 PM, said:

Is Duke Nukem Forever 2013 somehow playable in Alien Armageddon?

It is not. If you tried loading up a DNF2013 map in AA the textures would be all messed up and none of the new DNF actors or other scripted stuff would work.

View Poststojke, on 21 January 2022 - 03:58 PM, said:

Also, replayed the first new episode, loved the Dr Proton fight and the changes in the beginning.

Glad you liked the changes! My main focus in recent updates has been the War of Attrition mode, which has the most replay value.

We will be putting together a news release about the big update that's coming soon (hopefully February?)

User is offline   stojke 

I just have a need for more AA content, if you know what I'm sayin' Posted Image

Cant wait for the new update, I enjoyed every bit of Attrition mode I did play, especially love to play and view all the graphical changes (Or enhancements if you ask me haha). The last level Beach works real well now, thank you for the efforts to make it happen. I appreciate the change in the way Damn Im Good works as well, AA was the first Duke game I tried DIG in, and to my surprise its not as insanely impossible as in some vanilla Duke mods.
Looking at the animations its hard to conclude wether Mando Fet or the space jedi chick will be the new playable character, but im eager to see who will it be if its one of them too that is.

• Duke Plus Developer

View Poststojke, on 31 January 2022 - 03:16 AM, said:

Looking at the animations its hard to conclude wether Mando Fet or the space jedi chick will be the new playable character, but im eager to see who will it be if its one of them too that is.

It's neither.

Posted Image

User is offline   stojke 

Woah its Blade, the Vampire killer guy!

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

BleydTM

This post has been edited by Forge: 05 February 2022 - 09:02 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

A new episode is coming soon, with a new playable character. We are finishing up beta testing now. We have also made many improvements to the game over the last several months that will be evident in all modes and episodes.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Finally getting that black representation in the Duke community. :blush:

• Duke Plus Developer

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Duke Plus Developer

Here are some facts about this upcoming release, in no particular order.

The last public release from October of 2021 contained about 19400 art tiles. The current version sits at about 20900, so that means there is about 1500 tiles worth of new art content since the last release. The sounds folder went from 118MB to 137MB. The total size of the uncompiled script code went from about 3MB to 3.3MB. The size of the maps folder went from 187MB to 207MB (keep in mind a lot of those are maps that were not made specifically for AA). The voxel folder exploded from just 7.5MB to 19MB. That was due almost entirely to the addition of many AA exclusive voxels.

Most the work on this release went into developing Wes, the new playable character, and the new 5 level episode that he stars in. It takes place when Duke & Bombshell have been away from earth for about a year or so. Once you beat that episode, Wes is unlocked and can be used in place of either Duke or Bombshell in any other episode.

In the new Resistance episode, Wes is solo. But as with the other playable characters, once unlocked he can be a bot companion and you can swap control between him and the other character in your team. A considerable amount of work went into his animations and code to make his bot believable and badass.

Posted Image

There's also a lot included in this release that hasn't been featured very much in the maps yet but will be in future updates. For example, this blackhawk helicopter has working blades and several different flight modes:

Posted Image

Nearly all of the new AA voxels were made by Anton Z, who also made the first map in the new episode. The other maps in that episode were made by Elandy, MC84, sebabdukeboss20, and William Gee.

For anyone interested, I keep a rough-and-ready guide for mappers in this google doc: https://docs.google....RnfbT4qKRw/edit

• Duke Plus Developer

https://www.moddb.co...-armageddon-450

Alien Armageddon version 4.50 is released, including the new episode Resistance and the new playable character Wes Wolf.

Posted Image

Just downloaded and so far, I'm impressed. The sky in Caribbean looks a lot prettier and THANKS for making XP optional, that's made it a lot less complicated in my opinion

User is offline   stojke 

Posted Image

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

You mean nobody thought to put an easter egg like this in the Mr. Splashy's map? :D

I do remember there was a discussion before about not wanting to put anything too political in the mod when it was being debated whether or not to add Trump as the President, but everyone gets a kick out of the whole Alex Jones frogs thing. I made this just for laughs anyway and added the song in via my video editing software rather than in the game.

User is offline   XThX2 

I just stopped by to say this is the best thing I played since AMC TC. Wes is so much fun to play, everything abouıt him is just so well done. Congrats!

One little suggestion if possible, I'd really like his deflect move on the sword to be a move he can do on his own as a bind instead of auto. That'd make it require more skill and timing IMO.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostXThX2, on 28 March 2022 - 12:28 AM, said:

One little suggestion if possible, I'd really like his deflect move on the sword to be a move he can do on his own as a bind instead of auto. That'd make it require more skill and timing IMO.

That's a good idea in theory, and if I did that I would make it so that blocking costs nothing (currently it costs a small amount of life for him).

The problem is it's always hard to get players to bind new keys or be aware of such functions and I'm pretty sure the vast majority of players would simply not block at all. I know I don't like binding new keys myself in a game that already has a lot.

At this point since people are used to it being auto (on the other characters too who have vorpal blades), I guess I would have to make the bindable block optional. I'm not in a hurry to do so though.

User is offline   stojke 

I have the say the first level of Wes is damn good. It hurt me so bad that I couldnt even play the 2nd level due lag, Roch 5, that I went and bought a new computer in order to do it.

• Duke Plus Developer

View Poststojke, on 28 March 2022 - 11:28 AM, said:

I have the say the first level of Wes is damn good. It hurt me so bad that I couldnt even play the 2nd level due lag, Roch 5, that I went and bought a new computer in order to do it.

I'm pretty sure that's a typo, but the second level is Rosario5, which is a brand new level made for this release. I just didn't want anyone thinking we are repackaging roch maps into a new episode.

Share this topic:

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options