Duke4.net Forums: Alien Armageddon [RELEASE] - Duke4.net Forums

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alien Armageddon [RELEASE]  "showcasing sebabdukeboss20 characters with some enhancements"

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 30 April 2020 - 01:10 AM, said:

Sounds like you definitely want that QTE.

Well, if the current code is buggy and the vanilla code doesn't make much sense...

As long as it's not a super annoying one I can't exactly say I'd complain.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 30 April 2020 - 12:07 AM, said:

Come to think of it, why would doing a front push kick remove something attached to your face?

uh oh...I feel a quick time event coming on...somebody stop me!

To be fair, in vanilla 1.3D you can't actually quick kick the slimers off, quick or otherwise; but they need to be shot. This can be terribly inconvenient if you have the kick equipped for whatever reason, or you are all out of ammo, which I guess is why it was changed for 1.4 or 1.5 (whenever it was).
I could also swear there's some version of Duke where you can't kick them off once they reach your face, only while they're climbing up your body, but it doesn't seem to work this way in any of the versions I have on hand (EDuke32, DOS 1.3D, DOS 1.5). Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Anyway, I feel using the melee button to get them off is an entirely reasonable mechanic – just once is fine, no QTE-mashing needed – it's just the kicking animation that makes no sense in the context. Of course, Duke's kick animation is all kinds of weird to begin with...

This post has been edited by necroslut: 30 April 2020 - 04:55 AM

User is offline   Marya 

View Postnecroslut, on 30 April 2020 - 04:53 AM, said:

To be fair, in vanilla 1.3D you can't actually quick kick the slimers off, quick or otherwise; but they need to be shot. This can be terribly inconvenient if you have the kick equipped for whatever reason, or you are all out of ammo, which I guess is why it was changed for 1.4 or 1.5 (whenever it was).
I could also swear there's some version of Duke where you can't kick them off once they reach your face, only while they're climbing up your body, but it doesn't seem to work this way in any of the versions I have on hand (EDuke32, DOS 1.3D, DOS 1.5). Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Anyway, I feel using the melee button to get them off is an entirely reasonable mechanic – just once is fine, no QTE-mashing needed – it's just the kicking animation that makes no sense in the context. Of course, Duke's kick animation is all kinds of weird to begin with...
When around slimers I just usually held the quick kick button down usually they all died before they got to the face... Sure it doesn't make sense but things in games tend to not make sense so I didn't really care. (like how going to the bathroom restores health in duke 3d)

This post has been edited by Marya: 01 May 2020 - 12:04 AM

User is offline   Wowzer 

First of all, great job with the mod guys! Been having a blast playing user levels with it. ;)
The new weapons and enemies all feel fairly wellbalanced and add a lot to the game. Truly feels like the DN3D sequel we needed.
Question: Is it possible to play user episodes with this mod?

View PostWowzer, on 02 May 2020 - 08:01 AM, said:

First of all, great job with the mod guys! Been having a blast playing user levels with it. ;)
The new weapons and enemies all feel fairly wellbalanced and add a lot to the game. Truly feels like the DN3D sequel we needed.
Question: Is it possible to play user episodes with this mod?

If they just consist of maps it should be fine. If it has new code it will conflict. If it has new art it might.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 02 May 2020 - 08:10 AM

User is offline   Marya 

View Postnecroslut, on 02 May 2020 - 08:10 AM, said:

If they just consist of maps it should be fine. If it has new code it will conflict. If it has new art it might.
This episode seemd a little short to me.... reguardless good job on another update AA Team hope too see a bunch more from all of you.

I honestly kinda find it sad all the work put into this and it can all be played in a shorter time than it did to make it....

This post has been edited by Marya: 04 May 2020 - 05:47 AM

User is offline   Wowzer 

View Postnecroslut, on 02 May 2020 - 08:10 AM, said:

Ok, so how do I run a user episode with this mod?
I tried using the 'custom game directory' like how one does it with vanilla DN3D, but that did nothing.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

The short answer is, you don't.

The code that manages episodes for AA is tied into specific features like the GUI episode selection screen when you start a game. If you know how to add another episode using definevolume and definelevel (just as in any user episode), then you could add another one to the bottom of the list in AAUSER.CON If you then started the first map of that episode as a user map, then it might work, assuming you have the map and music files in your directory.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Holy shit!

I just finished the new add on and.......HOLY SHIT!!!!

It was incredible! This didn't feel like a mod or expansion at all, it felt almost like a brand new Duke Nukem game to me.

I really really hope there's another one because that was a damn good time!

Posted Image

User is offline   Marya 

View PostxMobilemux, on 10 May 2020 - 03:43 AM, said:

Holy shit!

I just finished the new add on and.......HOLY SHIT!!!!

It was incredible! This didn't feel like a mod or expansion at all, it felt almost like a brand new Duke Nukem game to me.

I really really hope there's another one because that was a damn good time!

Yeah, sadly for me it felt too short.... Oh and "Thanks for giving my brother his meds, we'll try not to hurt you the next time we Riot."

This post has been edited by Marya: 11 May 2020 - 03:38 AM

If there are more expansions being made for Alien Armageddon and sure as hell hope there is.

Some suggestions I had would be to add some more Max Ammo upgrades, namely for the Atomic Shotty, because it's burst fire uses up ammo rather quickly.
Another one is that I really love the new weapons you put in and how you can swap back and forth, I'm hoping we could get different weapon skins.
I ask about that is because as great as the Duke3D Shotgun is, I never really liked it's sprite. So maybe there could be an option in the vender that lets up change the weapons appearance, much like how we cycle through different outfits for Duke & Shelly. It would only affect the weapon appearance, not it's features.
You could get really creative with that like have the EM Gun from "Eraser" to replace the Railgun.
Even have a DNF set where you can select renders of the weapons from DNF.

I'm saying all this minor feedback because I REALLY REALLY WANT ANOTHER NEW CAMPAIGN FOR ALIEN ARMAGEDDON!!!!

Please......please let there be another.

This post has been edited by xMobilemux: 12 May 2020 - 02:59 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

We have two more campaigns planned, one is a prequel to Space Gladiators and tells the story of Mando Phett, and the other is the final episode back on earth. Right now all that's on hold because of WGR, so I don't expect to be working on AA again until late summer.

We have talked seriously about getting rid of all the old weapon sprites completely. It's the typical project progression: start as an enhancement to the original game that leaves it mostly intact, and then evolve into essentially a new game.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 12 May 2020 - 03:35 AM, said:

We have two more campaigns planned, one is a prequel to Space Gladiators and tells the story of Mando Phett, and the other is the final episode back on earth. Right now all that's on hold because of WGR, so I don't expect to be working on AA again until late summer.

We have talked seriously about getting rid of all the old weapon sprites completely. It's the typical project progression: start as an enhancement to the original game that leaves it mostly intact, and then evolve into essentially a new game.

Since the new weapons already are higher resolution than the original guns, I'd really suggest that you do. They clash in a rather ugly way now, which brings down the whole presentation.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Is Star Wars canon in the AA universe?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostRADAЯ, on 12 May 2020 - 05:07 AM, said:

Is Star Wars canon in the AA universe?

There are some very SW-like things that exist in AA (as we've seen from the Space Gladiators episode). But no, SW is not canon in AA. That would be...undesirable.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Ok lol. I was just thinking, names like "Mando Phett", light sabers, the same sith lords from Duke Forces, etc. kind of need a back story. ;)

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostRADAЯ, on 12 May 2020 - 12:22 PM, said:

Ok lol. I was just thinking, names like "Mando Phett", light sabers, the same sith lords from Duke Forces, etc. kind of need a back story. ;)

Spoiler

View PostTrooper Dan, on 12 May 2020 - 03:35 AM, said:

I waited for DNF, I can wait for more of this, I don't want it to ever stop!

I do have some concerns over the Mando Phett campaign though, seeing as I'm guessing we'll be playing as a new character who isn't Duke, will we be loosing all the details that go with a typical Duke adventure, like plenty of new babes, ballistic weapons, oneliners etc.
It's just I expect the Mando campaign to seem more Star Wars....ish than Duke Nukem...ish.

But I don't know what kind of prequel you're making yet so I can't judge, just suffer in anticipation.

I have to say that I think it's ALL the base weapons that need a face lift, even down to Duke's player sprite, whenever I play I always switch Duke's costume to one of his new Gladiator sets, he looks so much better, we all love the base sprites, but they need something new and updated.

I believe that much like how Brutal Doom has made vanilla Doom obsolete, Alien Armageddon is getting close to make even the mighty vanilla Duke3D obsolete.

This post has been edited by xMobilemux: 13 May 2020 - 01:47 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostxMobilemux, on 13 May 2020 - 01:46 AM, said:

I do have some concerns over the Mando Phett campaign though, seeing as I'm guessing we'll be playing as a new character who isn't Duke, will we be loosing all the details that go with a typical Duke adventure, like plenty of new babes, ballistic weapons, oneliners etc.
It's just I expect the Mando campaign to seem more Star Wars....ish than Duke Nukem...ish.

But I don't know what kind of prequel you're making yet so I can't judge, just suffer in anticipation.

We haven't started working on it yet. I'm working on the next WGR installment, and sebab is doing that as well and also he's making millions of sprites for AMC.

When we do get around to it, the prequel episode has several goals in my mind:

1. Tells a pretty cool story
2. Develops some stuff that will also be used in the final episode, including not one but two new playable characters.
3. Explores some untapped potential for the fake multiplayer matches. There's a lot more that can be done with CTF and other types of matches. I worked very hard on the team AI, the pathfinding, getting all of those different type of enemies to be able to play all those gametypes and I would like to see more done with it.
4. Gives fans some content while waiting for the bigger, final episode.

In terms of scope and structure, it will be very similar to Space Gladiators. That will make it easier to develop and makes a lot of sense given the story.

A fun little detail you had in Space Gladiators was those little side quests that result in coin or some humorous situation.

I'd love to see more of those little side quests added, even expanded upon, seeing as AA really loves upping the babes and T&A, you should have a few side quests that would lead to say a secret VIP strip dance or something.

Those minor side quests you did in Space Gladiators were just for simple coin which made sense, but if you could make more high quality side quests like the VIP dance I just mentioned, that could even result in some lewd unlockable costume for Shelly.
Or even have some kind of target practice side op so Duke can get a new outfit or weapons skin.

Stuff like that. Walking around the Gladiatorial Base, checking out the kitchen, gym, strip club etc, was fantastic, it would be even better if more depth was added to it.

View PostxMobilemux, on 13 May 2020 - 01:46 AM, said:

I believe that much like how Brutal Doom has made vanilla Doom obsolete, Alien Armageddon is getting close to make even the mighty vanilla Duke3D obsolete.

;)

User is online   Mark 

A few more posts like that and we'll have to use the shrinker ray on Trooper Dan's ego.

User is offline   Marya 

sue me for not being in the loop ,but what's WGR?

View PostMark, on 13 May 2020 - 05:04 PM, said:

A few more posts like that and we'll have to use the shrinker ray on Trooper Dan's ego.
are you volunteering for it? i hear he's got a railgun and a babifier.

This post has been edited by Marya: 14 May 2020 - 03:23 PM

View PostMarya, on 14 May 2020 - 03:22 PM, said:

sue me for not being in the loop ,but what's WGR?

WGRealms, specifically WGRealms 2. Originally came out back in like '09 or '10, abandoned for a long time, but William Gee came back to finish it and brought Dan back on board as the primary coder.

It's a good time so you should play it. Or wait for the finished version. Your choice. I highly recommend it either way.

Should also go play the original WGR. It's sort of redundant as the levels were incorporated into v1.2, but they use the new WGR2 monsters, while WGR1 use the stock aliens. I don't consider that a point against it though, more as a different flavor of the levels that still has really tight design. Just use the -usecwd command so it plays the music and not the stock.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 14 May 2020 - 03:59 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMark, on 13 May 2020 - 05:04 PM, said:

i know you're joking around.

I've worked with Dan for over a decade. He's not one to get an over-inflated ego.
One way to find out for sure is to submit your resume to make a map for the final and/or prequel episodes

This post has been edited by Forge: 15 May 2020 - 09:52 PM

User is offline   Marya 

View PostNinety-Six, on 14 May 2020 - 03:55 PM, said:

WGRealms, specifically WGRealms 2. Originally came out back in like '09 or '10, abandoned for a long time, but William Gee came back to finish it and brought Dan back on board as the primary coder.

It's a good time so you should play it. Or wait for the finished version. Your choice. I highly recommend it either way.

Should also go play the original WGR. It's sort of redundant as the levels were incorporated into v1.2, but they use the new WGR2 monsters, while WGR1 use the stock aliens. I don't consider that a point against it though, more as a different flavor of the levels that still has really tight design. Just use the -usecwd command so it plays the music and not the stock.
I'll wait till it's done but i wish the modDB page had a better description to what it is..

View PostMarya, on 16 May 2020 - 12:15 AM, said:

I'll wait till it's done but i wish the modDB page had a better description to what it is..

It's a standalone game that just so happens to use the Build engine, basically. I sort of consider it the proto-throwback FPS. It has level design mostly inspired by Unreal, Remixed enemies from places like Doom, Heretic, and Hexen (though with the upcoming new sprites from dukeboss that's probably gonna change, and their behavior was generally only loosely based on the originals), Textures from Quake, Shadow Warrior, etc...

It's basically the lovechild of every 90s FPS that mattered. It sounds like it's a bunch of disparate elements but that couldn't be further from the truth, even in its original release(s). They all work together very well no doubt through heavy effort on the developer's part. It is really good.

Also it has a magic meter that you can customize and a second unlockable playable character who fights with more medieval weaponry.

View PostMarya, on 16 May 2020 - 12:15 AM, said:

Waiting is the best idea, you got me thinking though, so I updated the info on Moddb, but I guess we should continue WGR talk in the WGR forums.
https://forums.duke4...iew__getnewpost

OK I've playing more AA and I've got some bug reports, not sure if they are known about or not and I've a new idea for the next expansion.

Bugs:
- Quick kicking doesn't seem to work on Protozoids when they attach to face much, I think I noticed it more common when wearing the Space Gladiator outfits.
- Also noticed this on the Atomic Shotty animations.
- Plus this in the bathhouse area of the Gladiatorial Center.

Don't know if these have been bought to attention.

As for my idea, it has to do with the Babifier, we know it turns enemies into running around strippers and all, and it's awesome.
Firstly I would have Sebab make a new Sprite for the weapons, secondly I would add in an alt fire mod that would allow you to use it on the captured Podgirls and rescue them.
Then once they are rescued they could maybe give you a sizeable about of coins, an "intimate reward" or my personal pick, the freed podgirls become an ally fighting with you thoughout the level, they could have extremely revealing clothing like leftover pieces of protozoid slime covering their intimate areas or something, or all of the above.

Another idea I'd like to see since you're bringing back the gladiator fights in the future, I'd change Capture the flag to DNFs Capture the Babe, seriously Sebab is making all these babes lets put em in the matches.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostxMobilemux, on 24 May 2020 - 03:32 AM, said:

- Quick kicking doesn't seem to work on Protozoids when they attach to face much, I think I noticed it more common when wearing the Space Gladiator outfits.
- Also noticed this on the Atomic Shotty animations.
- Plus this in the bathhouse area of the Gladiatorial Center.

The quick kick was a known bug, the second one was unknown -- it must have gone unnoticed because it only happens during a fast-moving animation. The third one is clearly a map mishap, it looks like maybe some tiles got changed and we accidentally included the updated .art file, changing what was in the map.

As for my idea, it has to do with the Babifier, we know it turns enemies into running around strippers and all, and it's awesome.
Firstly I would have Sebab make a new Sprite for the weapons, secondly I would add in an alt fire mod that would allow you to use it on the captured Podgirls and rescue them.

We have some pretty detailed plans for babe-rescuing already, and I think you will like what we came up with.

Another idea I'd like to see since you're bringing back the gladiator fights in the future, I'd change Capture the flag to DNFs Capture the Babe, seriously Sebab is making all these babes lets put em in the matches.

Funnily enough, one of my first mods was Duke Nukem Arena back in 2006, and it had that exact feature. I used a sprite from the game of a naked babe stuck to an alien pole as the flag, which the players would carry on their back if they had the flag. The pole without the babe was the flag stand. In many ways it was that mod that I was remaking with the gladiator matches in AA, although AA is vastly superior in almost every way. Unfortunately I don't have any surviving gameplay footage of DNA, the only video that exists on the web was made by someone else and doesn't show CTF (or much of anything). And I don't want to go through the pain of making it run properly on modern eduke32.

Share this topic:

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options