Duke4.net Forums: Alien Armageddon [RELEASE] - Duke4.net Forums

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alien Armageddon [RELEASE]  "showcasing sebabdukeboss20 characters with some enhancements"

User is offline   Marya 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 27 February 2019 - 05:47 PM, said:

The truth is, I doubt that any exploit involving character switching / reviving would be more effective than good old fashioned save scumming. :)
or any dirtier than using the godmode cheat :D

User is offline   Darkus 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 27 February 2019 - 03:45 PM, said:

That sounds reasonable, although I will have to think about the wider implications first. It doesn't sound like something that would easily be exploitable. After all, if you were in a boss fight then the AI partner would most likely be killed before they could revive you, so it wouldn't help much. Most likely it would just help in cases where, as you say, the AI is just standing around.

I thought the partner could resurrect you at 10-20 heatlh, so you could backtrack for some medkits. And also making the partner fighting enemies a higher priority (for example he/she interrupt the healing process to fight back when monsters are in sight).

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 27 February 2019 - 07:08 PM, said:

That's a question I can't fully answer yet. The new enemies that I made that I posted in my own forum (check my signature for "My Custom Sprites") are fair game. In game art and all the easter eggs I made, I'm not so keen on them being seen in random mods I don't approve yet.

I understand, I was just interested about human civilian\military sprites.

I say NPCs are okay.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

The soon to be released 2.10 update will not include the bot reviving player feature. It's a little too complex to be adding in at the last minute without much testing. What I'll want to do when I add it is make a whole new "downed" state for the player which is separate from being dead, where the player can persist in that state for a limited time. If they don't get revived, then they die for real.

User is offline   Marya 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 28 February 2019 - 03:39 PM, said:

The soon to be released 2.10 update will not include the bot reviving player feature. It's a little too complex to be adding in at the last minute without much testing. What I'll want to do when I add it is make a whole new "downed" state for the player which is separate from being dead, where the player can persist in that state for a limited time. If they don't get revived, then they die for real.
if possible could you also add an option to just give up on being revived? say the bot dies, or you get tired of waiting on the bot, or it gets stuck on a corner.

This post has been edited by Marya: 28 February 2019 - 04:13 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

You could always just load a saved game if it's obvious that you won't be revived in the 10 second window. :) Anyhow, like I said, this feature won't be in the next update.

• Duke Plus Developer

I just released version 2.10 on Mod DB. Barring any major new bugs, this will be the last release for quite a while.

https://www.moddb.co...-armageddon-210

-2X upscaled original enemy sprites available as optional feature (use AA_UPSCALE.BAT to start game)
-Dukinator robot sprites replaced with higher definition ones
-debris sprites and generic gore sprites replaced with 2X upscaled ones
-included censored art folder, with optional replacement art for streamers and anyone else who wants to play with reduced sexual content
-hack to fix "ledgeshot" bug on plasma rifle and upgraded freezer
-Sliding kick is affected by conveyer belts (before it was possible to cheat by sliding against currents)
-screen sizes showing obsolete status bar no longer available
-map edit to prevent Dukinators to emerge from wall slot in DC3
-map edit to prevent the player from using a toilet while simultaneously interacting with an NPC in VacaSL
-fixed freezer and shrinker related bugs with sharks
-reduced friendly fire damage between the player and the bot companion to 25% of normal
-fixed bug where some civilians were tagged as enemies and would be attacked by friendly AI
-fixed bug where it was possible to freeze the first form of Dr Proton in the New Invasion episode and get softlocked
-fixed bug where Bombshell's spent magazines could bounce continuously
-fixed bug where puffs of smoke coming from destroyed tank would stay at the bottom of the tank
-includes new build of EDuke32

User is offline   supergoofy 

AA_UPSCALE.BAT

eduke_64bit.exe -game_dir WGR2 -xAA_UPSCALE.CON

:)

• Duke Plus Developer

Thanks, I'll correct that in the upload, but it still works because it fails to find the nonexisting game directory and then proceeds to load AA_UPSCALE.CON

EDIT: The .bat is fixed now. For any of the 8 people who had downloaded already, you can just delete "-game_dir WGR2" from the .bat

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 01 March 2019 - 02:03 AM

User is offline   ---- 

Weekend saved again by the AA-Team. :)

User is offline   Marya 

so what does the upsized thing even do?

i came across a bug while messing around on a usermap, i was jetpacking around and ran into the moving area of the train in the old western map game crashed when i either got out of the train's area or got to a wall, not sure which will try to repeat this. running on 64bit version

Can't seem to repeat this crash, maybe it was just a fluke?

This post has been edited by Marya: 01 March 2019 - 04:14 AM

User is offline   Phredreeke 

The upscale uses sprites I've upscaled using a combination of neural networks and PSP scripts. See this thread

User is offline   Darkus 

Replaying DC episode, finished Smithsonian terror (also visited the Duke museum). Love the They Live references. No major issue so far.

Also, Bombshell is so badass that she kicked a tank that bounced back :)

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Does the original episode of this mod include fragments from the unreleased WGCity 2?

User is offline   John Brown 

After some headaches with Norton, I am now finally able to play with the upscaled sprites, and so far they look pretty nice. On the one hand, I don't need to play through the entire Atomic Edition all over again, but... on the other hand, I totally do need to, right? The AA 2.0 enemies and weapons should make it a little fresher at least.

User is offline   Marya 

View PostJohn Brown, on 01 March 2019 - 05:44 PM, said:

After some headaches with Norton, I am now finally able to play with the upscaled sprites, and so far they look pretty nice. On the one hand, I don't need to play through the entire Atomic Edition all over again, but... on the other hand, I totally do need to, right? The AA 2.0 enemies and weapons should make it a little fresher at least.
from what i'm seeing it wouldn't hurt.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

A few more bugs I found on what will most likely be my last playthrough until the next update:

Oversized tripbomb:

Spoiler

Misaligned sprite:

Spoiler

Players can't be seen in mirror:

Spoiler

Freeze upgrade is still not properly displayed on lower resolutions (other weapons are fixed though):

Spoiler

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostRadar, on 01 March 2019 - 07:05 PM, said:

A few more bugs I found on what will most likely be my last playthrough until the next update:

Misaligned sprite:

Players can't be seen in mirror:

The mirror issue is known. It has something to do with the map having a feature in it that makes mirrors unintentionally non-functional. There's no fix.

I cannot replicate the misaligned sprite. It is wall aligned in every render mode I tried.
(in mapster & in game before and after the yellow key is used)

This post has been edited by Forge: 01 March 2019 - 08:38 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

I have seen the tripbomb thing once before. When I reloaded the map they had normal size again. I had a theory about how they got oversized but it didn't pan out. So, I got nothing. The graffiti sprite lacking wall-alignment is pretty disturbing and none of us have seen it before. I'm curious as to whether you could replicate it by loading the map in a new game.

The one I regret is the freezer upgrade not being positioned correctly on lower resolutions. It has the exact same cause as when the plasma rifle wasn't positioned correctly, and I could have easily fixed it at the same time had I known about it. I'll fix it now, but I don't want to post any more updates. Perhaps I'll do a stealth update where I just replace the version 2.10 download with an updated file but don't announce it; then I can pretend it was that way all along :)

I'm playing through the original episodes with the upscaled sprites (fuck you, Norton), and I just finished the first episode. I'm playing with solo Duke, but now, when I look at him through security cameras, it looks like Duke and Shelly are conjoined together (I don't see the same thing when pushing F7 for third person view). It's more amusing than annoying, but I thought I'd mention it.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0007.png
  • Attached Image: duke0008.png

• Duke Plus Developer

Ah. I just need to disable "Black Lodge Vision" on the cameras then. It's best not to talk about it.

• Duke Plus Developer

There is no update. You did not see them as one. The weapon was fine. There is no map to preview.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Merlijn 

View PostRadar, on 01 March 2019 - 01:25 PM, said:

Does the original episode of this mod include fragments from the unreleased WGCity 2?

No. Bombshells used an old DM map from William Gee as its basis.
William added a few new bits before leaving the project, the rest is created by me and Maarten.

User is offline   Marya 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 01 March 2019 - 10:47 PM, said:

There is no update. You did not see them as one. The weapon was fine. There is no map to preview.
What? I thought the last update was 2.0.11...

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMarya, on 02 March 2019 - 05:19 AM, said:

What? I thought the last update was 2.0.11...

I'm not good at subtle jokes, but half-way up this current page is the link the the latest version

View PostTrooper Dan, on 01 March 2019 - 01:03 AM, said:

I just released version 2.10 on Mod DB. Barring any major new bugs, this will be the last release for quite a while.

https://www.moddb.co...-armageddon-210

User is offline   Marya 

View PostForge, on 02 March 2019 - 07:58 AM, said:

I'm not good at subtle jokes, but half-way up this current page is the link the the latest version
my good sir Forge ,are you saying Dan is lying? (sarcasm, please don't be offended)

This post has been edited by Marya: 02 March 2019 - 02:25 PM

Just as a follow-up, I have the not-an-update installed now, and I played through episode 2 with Duke solo. It looks like the security camera bug where Duke and Shelly are pulling a Quote/Curly Brace is no longer in effect:

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0022.png

• Duke Plus Developer

https://forums.duke4...397#entry316397

View PostTrooper Dan, on 25 February 2019 - 09:03 PM, said:

I purposely allow pretty much any monster to be shrunk, including the robot terminators. The limitation seemed arbitrary to me -- does the shrink ray somehow detect "organic" matter? Why?

Nah, don't get me wrong on this, i just tought that the shrinker is a ray, and metal can be reflective as a mirror sometimes, there is absolutely nothing wrong the way you made it, i like new ideas or i would not be here in that case, and by talking newer ideas can come :).

I will fix the slide-kick exploit, since that's a feature that I added myself so I'm responsible for it.

You can throw your responability away and avoid to fix it, i thought if was possible to do the same thing without slide kick, actually it is possible on vanilla too, slower but possible :D (it needs around 1.40 min.)

The reason that most projectiles will have a random component added to their trajectories when you are running is, I coded it that way to add a little realism. It's harder to aim when running. EDIT: I want to point out that this feature has been present since version 1.0 and you are the first person to say anything bout it. So if anyone wants to complain that I suddenly shoehorned that feature in...don't.

Yup, i remember and noticed this in v1.0 (and the other versions are on my pc as well, because this mod deserve to be tasted and re-tasted in all versions), so i complain that i'll complain about nothing :).

Just excuse me for the late replies.

• Duke Plus Developer

By the way, the sliding exploit and other recent bugs mentioned have already been addressed in the most recent download.

For consistency, the upscaled option will later include other enemy sprites, not just the vanilla ones. Here's a good side-by-side representation of the upscaling:

Posted Image

On the left is the original image with doubled pixels, nearest neighbor (so same level of detail as original). The image on the right has gone through the ESRGAN neural network upscaler to higher resolution, with several other processing filters added by Phredreeke (it actually gets upscaled to 4X, then he applies a chain of post-processing scripts that reduce the images back down to 2X and do other things)

This process isn't without some downside, since it exposes any flaws or ambiguities in the lower resolution sprites. For example, I'm not sure what the spatial relationship is supposed to be between the alien's arm and the weapon it is holding in that pic.

Going forward, the target scale is actually going to be 1.5X the scale of the original game. The 1.5X scale has already been used since version 1.0 for all of the NPC sprites (and there are a lot of them) so it seems like a good target. But anything upscaled to 2X can remain so, unless we get a better option down the road.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 04 March 2019 - 02:22 AM

Share this topic:

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options