Duke4.net Forums: Need new CTF and control maps for AA [RECRUITMENT] - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Need new CTF and control maps for AA [RECRUITMENT]

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Hey Build level designers: Duke Nukem Alien Armageddon needs you!

The next phase of Alien Armageddon (to be released mid-summer of '19) will make use of multiplayer style maps, with several gametypes. I have been scouring the internet and have found some good DM maps that can be used, but we are lacking in maps for other gametypes.

The maps will be played in a Galactic Gladiators storyline, where Duke and other captured members of EDF are forced to compete against aliens for the amusement of the emperor. I am currently looking for two different types of maps that we are lacking:

1) Base vs base maps designed for two teams. These could be used for either CTF or team DM. These should be symmetrical, or at least the bases should be equivalent.

2) Control maps. These also have two teams but no bases. There would be three control points in each map, and each team tries to dominate as many of the control points as possible for as long as possible.

More details: maps must be traversible by a variety of AI actors, including ones who have clipping issues, who can't jump or fly and are too dumb to find their way under water. So, paths to flags or control points should not require the use of sprite bridges, jumping, or going under water. EDIT: We do have jump pads, though, so some use of those can be required. Map sizes should be medium. It should not take longer than 40 seconds for a human player to run from the flag stand at one base to the flag stand at the other (less is OK). Routes ARE allowed to zig-zag and have mazelike elements, since the AI will have no trouble with that. Mappers do not need to add any gameplay to the maps. I can be responsible for adding the path nodes, and also the items, players, etc., unless the mapper actually wants to add all that.

So, if anyone is interested, please let me know. You can either PM me or reply directly in this thread (there's no need for secrecy at this point). If you want to see examples of WIP stuff, I can provide them.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 03 March 2019 - 07:52 PM

User is offline   Mark 

How does a team "dominate" a control point?

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMark, on 04 March 2019 - 06:00 AM, said:

How does a team "dominate" a control point?

Like in Destiny 2 gametype. Enter the sector (should be about 8 square meters in size). If the control sector is unclaimed, this starts a countdown. Stay in there for about 5 seconds and it belongs to your team. Countdown stops if an opposing player enters the sector. If a sector has already been taken by another team, stand in it with no enemies in there with you, and it takes about 10 seconds to capture it -- less if you have buddies there with you. Once captured, it stays captured unless the other team gets it, so you don't have to camp on it, unless you want to. So the idea is you will want to move around between different control points as the action dictates; this keeps it from getting too static and repetitive like the old fashioned "king of the hill" gametype.

User is offline   Mark 

OK. Not having to camp there if you don't want to makes it clearer.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Does it work with online multiplayer?
What version of EDuke32 are you using?
What renderer(s) are you using?
Any interest in mirrored sections of the original maps for ctf?

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPhotonic, on 04 March 2019 - 12:05 PM, said:

Does it work with online multiplayer?
What version of EDuke32 are you using?
What renderer(s) are you using?
Any interest in mirrored sections of the original maps for ctf?

1. No
2. Just using whatever the most recent revision is
3. Polymost; software works too
4. Yes

• Duke Plus Developer

Each team gets points by taking and holding control zones. This is an early prototype with a modified version of a Duke 3D deathmatch map. Coding the pathing system and AI to be able to play effectively was the biggest challenge. With that mostly done, I can focus on refining the gameplay and visuals.

AND OF COURSE WE NEED MAPS!!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options