Duke4.net Forums: Alien Armageddon [RELEASE] - Duke4.net Forums

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alien Armageddon [RELEASE]  "showcasing sebabdukeboss20 characters with some enhancements"

User is offline   Marya 

View PostForge, on 19 February 2019 - 07:20 PM, said:

WT art files would conflict with AA art files.
yes this fact is present on megaton if you have art files in megaton and switch to say Life's a beach if those art files have the same Index(correct me on that word or not) you will see the art you put in there instead of the life's a beach art... same with Duke it out in D.C. I have personally seen this happen.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Yeah I suppose. Oh well.

Spoiler

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

For DC tile conflicts weren't a problem because it only used tiles014, which we weren't using in AA. Also, it didn't have custom sounds. So, we could go straight to working on renovations without the need to resolve conflicts.

For Caribbean Vacation, it was more involved, because not only the art tiles but also the custom sounds conflicted with definitions used in AA. For the art tiles, what I did was added the Caribbean tiles to a high art.xx file that we hadn't used yet. Then, wrote a little mapster script to detect any sprite or surface in the map that was within the custom Caribbean tile range, and add a number to it to convert it to the new Caribbean tile. Sound conversion was actually much more difficult than art. Some of the new Caribbean sounds were defined on numbers outside the normal Duke 3D range, but these all conflicted with our sounds. So, those sounds had to be redefined on very high numbers that we weren't using, and a mapster script converted the numbers in the maps to the new numbers. But several problems came up. First, there are various tags on both effectors and sectors that can be used for sound numbers, and it took some research to get the conversion formula right. Then I discovered that the converted sounds on MUSIC&FX sprites would not even play. It turns out that MUSIC&FX sprites are hardcoded to not play sounds with a defined number of 1000+, which of course all of them had to be to avoid conflict. So then I had to make a new custom actor for playing those sounds, which would try to replicate the functionality of the MUSIC&FX sprite (that's why if you look in the Caribbean maps you will see the HIGHSOUND sprites instead of MUSIC&FX). I'm pretty sure the custom actor is not quite right in the way that it handles sounds cutting in and out on the periphery of the specified range, but given how limited sound control is in CON, I doubt that it can be helped. Finally, there was one more problem. Some of the sounds in Caribbean simply replace the standard Duke 3D ones (example: bar music) So, to get those to work, those sounds had to be discovered, then redefined, then inserted into the maps via another mapster script. Then of course there were the custom actors such as the beachball which had to be recoded because they were shit. Well, the beachball was shit.

tldr; not doing that again

User is offline   ---- 

I just tested again. Clearing the grp-cache and texture-cache did not help. In Polymer the 100% transparent pixels around the dot are drawn black and the dot itself isn't transparent at all.

I tried filtered and unfiltered textures (normally I play unfiltered) and tried changing every setting in the polymost setup. The only thing that fixes the dot is changing to classic renderer.

I will try a bit more, if there are other things, that could fix the dot.

EDIT:
I just did a completely fresh install, meaning I just unzipped 2.02 to a new folder and changed nothing in it. Eduke (I tried 32 and 64 bit versions) automatically finds the WT-grp* file and I started in 1920*1080 OpenGL. The dot is still broken in the fresh installation when using OpenGL/Polymost.

EDIT2:
Here are even more results with another absolutely fresh install with no setting changed anywhere using the Megaton-grp on OpenGL:

- Classic Episodes: The pistol's dot doesn't have the black pixels around it but the dot itself isn't translucent at all.
- New Invasion: Same as Classic Episodes.
- Duke it out in DC: The dot is translucent (has higher opacity than in classic Rendermode, though) but flickers to the intransparent version with the black pixels around it now and then (what was described above by John Brown)
- Carribbean: Dot always has black pixels around it and no translucency. No flickering to version without pixels around it.

Hope it helps a bit. :)

*) It is the only version I have installed from Steam. I once had Megaton installed but only copied the grp file from there into my eDuke32 and HRP installation and uninstalled Megaton.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 20 February 2019 - 01:20 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

Well, you can try these unreleased scripts to see if it helps. These are the scripts I am currently using:

https://www.dropbox....cripts.rar?dl=0

There will be a couple of missing sound files referred to in the scripts, but it won't matter because those would only play during CTF anyway.

User is offline   ---- 

Thanks, I will try it later and report back. :)

Need to buy food, walk the dogs and have some lunch before testing again.

EDIT:
Sorry, the new scripts don't work either (again, clean install with grp file added). The laser dot works as intended in the classic and new Episode, but acts up and flickers in DC and is constantly solid with black pixels around it in Carrbbean.

PS: It's nat that it is a serious bug that hinders gameplay, or so. Just wanted to mention and help a bit if you want to find the issue with it. :lol:

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 20 February 2019 - 04:57 AM

whenever the update for the mod was released. i was surprised to see Caribbean apart of it. i knew DC was gonna be in it, but Caribbean was a nice surprise. i always liked that expansion. and now i got a reason to revisit it once again :)

User is offline   Marya 

View PostMr. Nukem Roses, on 20 February 2019 - 11:24 AM, said:

whenever the update for the mod was released. i was surprised to see Caribbean apart of it. i knew DC was gonna be in it, but Caribbean was a nice surprise. i always liked that expansion. and now i got a reason to revisit it once again :)
"Let's go surfing now, everybody's learning how, come on and safari with me!"~Duke Nukem, Life's a beach.

• Duke Plus Developer

@Marya: originally The Beach Boys, of course. Also, Bombshell will sing it (as badly as Duke does) if you have switched to her already when you reach the shore where the sound is triggered.

View Postfuegerstef, on 20 February 2019 - 01:26 AM, said:

EDIT:
Sorry, the new scripts don't work either (again, clean install with grp file added). The laser dot works as intended in the classic and new Episode, but acts up and flickers in DC and is constantly solid with black pixels around it in Carrbbean.

In a way, that's good to hear, because it means I'm not losing my mind. What's baffling is that the 2.02 update somehow triggered the rendering glitch, but only for some computers apparently.

User is offline   Marya 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 20 February 2019 - 01:28 PM, said:

@Marya: originally The Beach Boys, of course. Also, Bombshell will sing it (as badly as Duke does) if you have switched to her already when you reach the shore where the sound is triggered.

In a way, that's good to hear, because it means I'm not losing my mind. What's baffling is that the 2.02 update somehow triggered the rendering glitch, but only for some computers apparently.
Yeah I read that, but I was trying to make a compliment on the Caribbean addition to AA. Personally I prefer Duke's line Shelly's is horribly hilarious. But I have to ask who keeps saying "Nope" ?

This post has been edited by Marya: 20 February 2019 - 02:02 PM

User is offline   ---- 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 20 February 2019 - 01:28 PM, said:

... but only for some computers apparently.

Shall I post PC-specs and eDuke-log?

• Duke Plus Developer

Shelly says "nope" when she dodges an incoming projectile -- that reminds me it's too frequent and needs to be reduced.

User is offline   Marya 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 20 February 2019 - 02:07 PM, said:

Shelly says "nope" when she dodges an incoming projectile -- that reminds me it's too frequent and needs to be reduced.
agreed

so i got a curious question. during my let's play series of episode 4. i was fighting The Queen, and i suddenly get a thing for Duke saying "Got Nuke!!". my question is how https://twitter.com/...376119483539456 and how do you use it?

This post has been edited by Mr. Nukem Roses: 20 February 2019 - 04:22 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

it's an alternate weapon in the 5 slot

This post has been edited by Forge: 20 February 2019 - 04:28 PM

View PostForge, on 20 February 2019 - 04:28 PM, said:

it's an alternate weapon in the 5 slot

ok. so if one character has the nuke, can both characters be able to use it without having to switch?

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMr. Nukem Roses, on 20 February 2019 - 04:29 PM, said:

ok. so if one character has the nuke, can both characters be able to use it without having to switch?

yes

• Duke Plus Developer

What you are seeing there is actually a bug. Duke does not have a nuke. The line of text under the bot's health is supposed to display their current status. Normally, that would be fighting, following, lost, or down. It is based on a variable on the bot which encodes their status; that variable is correlated with a certain quote number. Unfortunately, your bot somehow got into an unhandled status number, making the quote displayed essentially random. I can only guess that something unusual happened to him; perhaps he got shrunk by an underwater newbeast, then squished, and there is a loophole in my code which doesn't give him the right status number afterwards.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 20 February 2019 - 04:43 PM, said:

What you are seeing there is actually a bug. Duke does not have a nuke. The line of text under the bot's health is supposed to display their current status. Normally, that would be fighting, following, lost, or down. It is based on a variable on the bot which encodes their status; that variable is correlated with a certain quote number. Unfortunately, your bot somehow got into an unhandled status number, making the quote displayed essentially random. I can only guess that something unusual happened to him; perhaps he got shrunk by an underwater newbeast, then squished, and there is a loophole in my code which doesn't give him the right status number afterwards.

well that's was an interesting thing to experience then. glad i got it on film

User is offline   Forge 

Sorry.

I don't do twitter, so if you were posting attachments, or whatever, I won't see them.

(no facebook either)

This post has been edited by Forge: 20 February 2019 - 04:54 PM

User is offline   Marya 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 20 February 2019 - 04:43 PM, said:

I noticed in Caribbean the ally bot does not shoot at seagulls...is this a bug or is this intentional?

is the Nuke Launcher present in the current version of the mod though. and if so, how does 1 get it?

This post has been edited by Mr. Nukem Roses: 20 February 2019 - 05:14 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMarya, on 20 February 2019 - 04:54 PM, said:

I noticed in Caribbean the ally bot does not shoot at seagulls...is this a bug or is this intentional?

It's neither. They are just a trivial nuisance and I didn't bother making them run the usual enemy code which makes them targets, etc.

View PostMr. Nukem Roses, on 20 February 2019 - 05:12 PM, said:

is the Nuke Launcher present in the current version of the mod though. and if so, how does 1 get it?

Yeah, the nuke is in game, but you will never see it unless you play the DC episode, and even then it's only in a few places.

If you want to test it, open the console and type "spawn nukesprite"

EDIT: I forgot to ask, did the Duke bot eventually go back to normal, or did he get stuck in the buggy "got a nuke" status?

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 20 February 2019 - 05:24 PM

User is offline   Marya 

View PostMr. Nukem Roses, on 20 February 2019 - 05:12 PM, said:

there's one in the Smithsonian

User is offline   Marya 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 20 February 2019 - 05:21 PM, said:

It's neither. They are just a trivial nuisance and I didn't bother making them run the usual enemy code which makes them targets, etc.

Yeah, the nuke is in game, but you will never see it unless you play the DC episode, and even then it's only in a few places.

EDIT: I forgot to ask, did the Duke bot eventually go back to normal, or did he get stuck in the buggy "got a nuke" status?
question; on the matter of spawning could you pm me a list of the names of some sprites? (whoops sorry about the doulbe post can somebody merge my post please?

This post has been edited by Marya: 20 February 2019 - 05:34 PM

View PostTrooper Dan, on 20 February 2019 - 05:21 PM, said:

he went back to normal after a little bit of having that message. i had to review my video i did of it for my let's play series. seemed as though it was like a 1 time thing, cause it didn't seem to happen afterwards

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMarya, on 20 February 2019 - 05:32 PM, said:

question; on the matter of spawning could you pm me a list of the names of some sprites? (whoops sorry about the doulbe post can somebody merge my post please?

Open up tiles.cfg in a text editor. It has the new AA tiles as well as the original tiles, in groups for mapster.

Pretty much anything you would want to spawn should be listed in there. There will be a few things that won't work properly when spawned from the console.

User is offline   Marya 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 20 February 2019 - 07:59 PM, said:

Open up tiles.cfg in a text editor. It has the new AA tiles as well as the original tiles, in groups for mapster.

Pretty much anything you would want to spawn should be listed in there. There will be a few things that won't work properly when spawned from the console.
Thank you

User is offline   John Brown 

I'd just like to share, I did beat Life's a Beach with AA 2.02, and between that and DC I think this update was a ton of awesomeness. The new enemies and weapons added enough for the game content to stay interesting (especially in DC) and I loved all the new art. Other than the pistol laser thing mentioned earlier, and the tendency for the AI character to just rush the enemy (especially while I am already firing and/or have an explosive weapon out), I have no real issues with the mod. Also I like how you got Shelly's actress to voice the Life's a Beach lines (and I agree, her singing is appropriately very horrible). This mod has attention to detail that you don't even see in those $60 open beta modern games.

Also I started another playthrough of episode 5, or New Invasion. I got to map 2 and I'm already seeing new art and the load screen map, good touch.

User is offline   Marya 

View PostJohn Brown, on 21 February 2019 - 07:47 AM, said:

I'd just like to share, I did beat Life's a Beach with AA 2.02, and between that and DC I think this update was a ton of awesomeness. The new enemies and weapons added enough for the game content to stay interesting (especially in DC) and I loved all the new art. Other than the pistol laser thing mentioned earlier, and the tendency for the AI character to just rush the enemy (especially while I am already firing and/or have an explosive weapon out), I have no real issues with the mod. Also I like how you got Shelly's actress to voice the Life's a Beach lines (and I agree, her singing is appropriately very horrible). This mod has attention to detail that you don't even see in those $60 open beta modern games.

Also I started another playthrough of episode 5, or New Invasion. I got to map 2 and I'm already seeing new art and the load screen map, good touch.
to be fair almost all older games paid more attention to detail than modern games, modern games are all about money while older games, for the most part were about attention to detail to keep the gamer busy and indulging them in interesting stories or at least environments, that is why they are so well known today because people remember those details they actuall indulged into the game, it's not like today where you get almost nothing out of games,but a few minutes of entertainment.

This post has been edited by Marya: 21 February 2019 - 08:51 AM

Share this topic:

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options