Duke4.net Forums: Alien Armageddon [RELEASE] - Duke4.net Forums

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alien Armageddon [RELEASE]  "showcasing sebabdukeboss20 characters with some enhancements"

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

I confess I had to magnify the sprite to confirm Duke was shirtless. His arms and jetpack straps kinda cover most of it. To be fair that was also the case with the shirt on

View PostForge, on 13 June 2018 - 05:04 AM, said:

this, Ion Maiden, & AMC TC
all projected to be released in Q3-Q4

What does Q3 and Q4 mean if I may ?

View PostTheDragonLiner, on 14 June 2018 - 12:08 AM, said:

What does Q3 and Q4 mean if I may ?

Third and Fourth quarter of the year. July through December.

This post has been edited by sebabdukeboss20: 14 June 2018 - 05:31 AM

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 14 June 2018 - 05:31 AM, said:

Third and Fourth quarter of the year. July through December.

I thank thee for thy answer ^^

I believe James said AMC would be for Fall ... sooo far away T_T

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

I'm looking forward to the quality releases.
I only hope that they don't overlap and compete for attention.

View PostForge, on 14 June 2018 - 06:44 AM, said:

I believe it is barely probable that these releases will com out at the same time, in which case they wouldn't really compete >_>

Besides even if they were to compete I'm pretty sure friendship will make it a fair, reciprocally beneficial competition ^^

User is offline   Stripper 

Posted Image

Who needs 80 dollar games when you got quality mods on the way.

View PostStripper, on 14 June 2018 - 08:43 AM, said:

Posted Image

Who needs 80 dollar games when you got quality mods on the way.

TOTALLY agreed !

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNinety-Six, on 13 June 2018 - 06:00 PM, said:

I confess I had to magnify the sprite to confirm Duke was shirtless. His arms and jetpack straps kinda cover most of it. To be fair that was also the case with the shirt on

That's true, but obviously the sprites will look bigger in game. It's just a little cosmetic option.

View PostForge, on 14 June 2018 - 06:44 AM, said:

If need be we will sit on the finished product for a while to avoid overlapping with another release. The worst that would happen is the product is slightly better as a result. There's just no way to avoid the delay right now because we were basically trying to do a 1-year project in six months. This could have worked if none of us were busy with real life stuff, but it didn't work out that way. Also, mission creep (of the good kind) -- it's turning out to be a much more ambitious project than originally thought.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 14 June 2018 - 11:59 AM, said:

If need be we will sit on the finished product for a while to avoid overlapping with another release. The worst that would happen is the product is slightly better as a result. There's just no way to avoid the delay right now because we were basically trying to do a 1-year project in six months. This could have worked if none of us were busy with real life stuff, but it didn't work out that way. Also, mission creep (of the good kind) -- it's turning out to be a much more ambitious project than originally thought.

I'm not trying to be negative. It'd just be nice if each release got it's fair amount of positive feedback.

e.g.: Kinda suck if this mod gets released & two days later Ion Maiden gets released.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 14 June 2018 - 12:25 PM, said:

I'm not trying to be negative. It'd just be nice if each release got it's fair amount of positive feedback.

e.g.: Kinda suck if this mod gets released & two days later Ion Maiden gets released.

Yeah, and there's no need for any projects around here to be stepping on the toes of any other projects.

Also, this time around I want to do some kind of marketing campaign and have fun with it, embracing it as a creative process in its own right rather than see it as a last minute chore. Time and focus constraints being what they are, that requires having a nearly finished product before the marketing really gets started. We already have plans for an awesome trailer that will be unique and not just gameplay clips edited together.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 14 June 2018 - 11:59 AM, said:

That's true, but obviously the sprites will look bigger in game. It's just a little cosmetic option.

Yeah, I know. figured I'd bring it up though, since the change is a bit less obvious than with Bombshell's sprite. I don't think there's a lot that can be done and it is ultimately very minor, bordering on nitpick (if not already there), but eh.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 14 June 2018 - 01:11 PM, said:

Also, this time around I want to do some kind of marketing campaign and have fun with it, embracing it as a creative process in its own right rather than see it as a last minute chore. Time and focus constraints being what they are, that requires having a nearly finished product before the marketing really gets started. We already have plans for an awesome trailer that will be unique and not just gameplay clips edited together.

This I'm interested in seeing the results of. "Marketing" for a mod can be fun. Anyone remember Action Doom and that strange period of time?

User is offline   Sanek 

*when you're more excited for 22yrs old game's mods than current E3 lineup. :(

• Duke Plus Developer

Still on track for a late August release. Here's an animation test for another of sebabdukeboss20's creations:

User is offline   Merlijn 

The mapping is done, time to get hyped. :(

Attached Image: duke0017.png

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostMerlijn, on 12 August 2018 - 11:47 AM, said:

The mapping is done, time to get hyped. :unsure:

Is there anyone who ISN'T by now? :(

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostSanek, on 12 August 2018 - 12:11 PM, said:

Is there anyone who ISN'T by now? :(

The roughly 7.6 billion people who don't know it exists. :unsure:

There's still a significant amount of work to finish it, but we are making rapid progress now. The release date set at Mod DB is August 24th.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 12 August 2018 - 02:08 PM

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 12 August 2018 - 02:07 PM, said:

The roughly 7.6 billion people who don't know it exists. :unsure:

There's still a significant amount of work to finish it, but we are making rapid progress now. The release date set at Mod DB is August 24th.

They just don't realise what they're missing. :(

Aug 24th...well, that's fast! I wasn't expecting it until late Q4.

Expect lots of new content and references to pop culture. Just like the original Duke 3d.

Attached Image: duke0003.png

Attached Image: duke0010.png

User is offline   Player Lin 

I'm totally hyped, can't wait to play that! :(

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Oh, a radar, that's nice!

• Duke Plus Developer

Comes out tomorrow!

Attached Image: duke0002.png
Attached Image: duke0001.png
Attached Image: duke0028.png
It's compatible with Vanilla Duke. Play the original game with all the loaded new features!

User is offline   Forge 

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 23 August 2018 - 05:41 PM, said:

Comes out tomorrow!

I was lied to in 1999. I have trust issues.

I'm excited.

• Duke Plus Developer

Version 1.0 is finished, now we wait for Mod DB to authorize the download and release at 11:00 PST

On behalf of the team, I want to say we are all proud of what we have accomplished and it has been a joy to work together on this project. We ended up with about 4000 new high quality tiles added to Duke 3D, nearly all of them made by sebabdukeboss20. Most impressive is that the vast majority of the new tiles are new sprites (not edits or ripped sprites), comprising lots of new enemies and NPCs. And there's more on the way in future updates.

It became clear at end of last early this year that sebabdukeboss20 was producing something very special with a series of jaw-dropping sprite sheets. So I did my thing and started coding them up. And then some of the best mappers around joined up and started making what became a top-notch Duke 3D episode and an excellent showcase for all of the new content.

While we are happy with what we have made, I have modest expectionss for the reach of a mod like this. We have a small community now, and it's difficult to make the community grow. For gamers under 30, Duke 3D was already an old game by the time they were teenagers. For someone who doesn't own Duke 3D already, there aren't a lot of good options for getting a legal copy. I don't imagine too many people are going to spring for World Tour at $20 just so that they can play Alien Armageddon -- not that it would be a bad decision!

So if you do play the mod, please leave a comment, and tell us something that you like or don't like about it. Especially in a small community, every bit of feedback counts. Most of our motivation comes from our desire to make a great game that is fun to play, but everyone needs a little boost from the outside too. I for one want to keep going with this project and help bring it to new heights.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 24 August 2018 - 02:31 AM
Reason for edit: didn't remember date correctly

User is offline   Forge 

If I keep my expectations low, then I'm never disappointed
-Pope John Paul II, October 1, 1979. colorized

This post has been edited by Forge: 24 August 2018 - 04:10 AM

View PostTrooper Dan, on 24 August 2018 - 01:10 AM, said:

Version 1.0 is finished, now we wait for Mod DB to authorize the download and release at 11:00 PST

On behalf of the team, I want to say we are all proud of what we have accomplished and it has been a joy to work together on this project. We ended up with about 4000 new high quality tiles added to Duke 3D, nearly all of them made by sebabdukeboss20. Most impressive is that the vast majority of the new tiles are new sprites (not edits or ripped sprites), comprising lots of new enemies and NPCs. And there's more on the way in future updates.

It became clear at end of last early this year that sebabdukeboss20 was producing something very special with a series of jaw-dropping sprite sheets. So I did my thing and started coding them up. And then some of the best mappers around joined up and started making what became a top-notch Duke 3D episode and an excellent showcase for all of the new content.

While we are happy with what we have made, I have modest expectionss for the reach of a mod like this. We have a small community now, and it's difficult to make the community grow. For gamers under 30, Duke 3D was already an old game by the time they were teenagers. For someone who doesn't own Duke 3D already, there aren't a lot of good options for getting a legal copy. I don't imagine too many people are going to spring for World Tour at $20 just so that they can play Alien Armageddon -- not that it would be a bad decision!

So if you do play the mod, please leave a comment, and tell us something that you like or don't like about it. Especially in a small community, every bit of feedback counts. Most of our motivation comes from our desire to make a great game that is fun to play, but everyone needs a little boost from the outside too. I for one want to keep going with this project and help bring it to new heights.

The best way for the mod to gain publicity would be to have youtubers such as ICARUSLIV3S and Gggmanlives showcase it in a dedicated video.
They have both reviewed DNF 2013, so if you asked them kindly I'm sure they'd take a look.

Those reviews could then be further reposted on Reddit and other forums.

User is offline   Dzierzan 

I love your Duke Forces mod. I can't wait to try your latest mod!

This post has been edited by Dzierzan: 24 August 2018 - 06:11 AM

User is offline   Mark 

Just being on Moddb will help exposure. When somebody on Youtube posted a playthrough video of the HHR project it got over 47,000 views and downloads of the project vastly increased. And for feedback, youtubers gave lots of it. None on Moddb for some reason.

For big name reviewers, the only guy contacted was LGR because he did the custom Duke voices. He made a small mention in a blog post but never a review. I have no idea how busy those popular reviewers are but it would be great to get a review from them for your project.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 24 August 2018 - 06:46 AM

Share this topic:

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options