Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Hollywood Holocaust Rethinked - Duke4.net Forums

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Hollywood Holocaust Rethinked

User is offline   NNC 

I don't think if an ugly extra terrestial invade your home, you would be hanging out and talking BS.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

So, outside of "bad enemy placement", your claim of this map being "blasphemy" is that it didn't suit your personal tastes due to the environmental immersion being guilty of not achieving your standards of realism... in a game that's pretty unrealistic in the first place?
Okay then.

User is offline   NNC 

No, it doesn't match the general aesthetics of the game (and level), nor it improves it with lacking some coherent, good looking new aesthetics. Bad enemy placement and weak NPCs are just an extra. Most comments of the Youtube video echo my sentiments. I know authors get angry when their stuff gets some criticism, but I had to share my view of this stuff.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 10 November 2017 - 04:09 PM

User is offline   Forge 

so it's blasphemy due to your subjective opinion of "good looking " aesthetics.

2 or 3 comments out of 14 that say it's garbage without giving any real reason, 2 more that say they don't like hrp/models or think the detailing is excessive, and 2 more that think this would have been done better on the unreal engine.

I see only 2 definitive "echos", & 2 or 3 inconclusive.

Not "most", and hardly evidence beyond a reasonable doubt, considering there are numerous comments in this thread that contradict those opinions.

This post has been edited by Forge: 10 November 2017 - 05:09 PM

User is offline   Mark 

I ask for and encourage criticism. As long as it isn't just some version of "its garbage" with no reason given. I know full well I'm stepping on some people's feelings when I "corrupt" a fanboy's beloved game like DN3D and that they will reply with their displeasure. No big deal. As with many mappers and modders, I do this this mostly for myself. Its enjoyable.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 10 November 2017 - 06:57 PM

User is online   Phredreeke 

If I'm to be blunt, I feel there's a certain grittiness to the original that gets lost with the HRP.

I like the idea of revisiting a map but putting a new spin on it though, and got a chuckle out of the gag near the yellow key.

User is offline   Mark 

Thanks. I wasn't sure how many people would understand or appreciate that joke. Its one of my favorites.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 11 November 2017 - 05:55 AM

User is offline   BestViking 

I think it's impressive within the confines of the engine. The argument about civilians having conversations being "unrealistic" is a bit strange considering the NPCs in the original. Although they were exclusively women and no conversations existed between them, the strippers for instance seemed awfully relaxed amidst an alien invasion. Shouldn't they be panicking too?

The game itself is a massive caricature, and Duke is a conglomerate of action hero stereotypes. Nothing is too crazy really. A lot of effort went into that mod, even making new models of the enemies.

I think the points of critique are valid, but to disregard the whole project over that seems a bit much to me. I enjoyed playing it. But then again I am able to appreciate the imperfections and consider them in the context that they are. When you've been acquainted with the engine since it was released, you come to appreciate its personality. This is going to sound extremely cheesy, but it's like an old person who refuses to change. You can manipulate him a little bit and change his mind here and there, but his old quirks shine through, and what you get is something completely unique instead of a carbon copy of something that already exists.

I think that is one of the aspects that keep people around, because it offers familiarity and something that contrasts the sterility of modern engines.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

That part in regards of NPCs in the game, especially silent ones was always quite creepy to me. When I played the game for the first time I assumed they were aliens in disguise (another reason was that their death spawns other aliens, plus I watched Mars Attacks not so long ago).

User is offline   Forge 

I see it as futuristic commentary on society.
We experience mass shootings, terrorist attacks, and natural disasters all time - some people care, some only use the events to push their own agenda on social media, but more and more, people are getting desensitized to death and tragedy.

It's a pretend environment in a make believe world with some loose references to real locations. I can make up any thing I want that suits me and my experience with the map.
Since the map was well done, it just makes my imagination work a little less, and enjoy the provided vision a little more.

This post has been edited by Forge: 11 November 2017 - 12:43 PM

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Yes, but today is a quite different from when I played that game for the first time (and no doubt the same can be said about yourself).

Right now of course I think the same was as you do which is why I didn't even think about why those people are so strangely calm in Rethinked version either. If anything, I'd say that the shit which is going on right now is even much more crazier than alien invasion would be to me. And now that I think about it more, almost the same commentary they did even in Forever.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostSledgehammer, on 12 November 2017 - 09:59 AM, said:

Yes, but today is a quite different from when I played that game for the first time (and no doubt the same can be said about yourself).

Right now of course I think the same was as you do which is why I didn't even think about why those people are so strangely calm in Rethinked version either. If anything, I'd say that the shit which is going on right now is even much more crazier than alien invasion would be to me. And now that I think about it more, almost the same commentary they did even in Forever.

When I originally played the game, and put forth some thought about the behavior of the strippers - I thought they had some alien brain virus put there by the slimers, or they were affected by the toxic ooze that turned human police officers into pig-cops.

Duke Nukem has had enough of the prostitutes and strippers polluting the streets and bringing in crime into decent neighborhoods, so he took the law into his own hands and started his own one-man war against whores.

Attached Image: duke cleans up the streets.png

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

"Blasphemy"?

• Polymancer

Posted Image

User is offline   Mark 

View PostMYHOUSE.MAP, on 16 November 2017 - 09:15 PM, said:

Duke Nukem has had enough of the prostitutes and strippers polluting the streets and bringing in crime into decent neighborhoods, so he took the law into his own hands and started his own one-man war against whores.

Attachment duke cleans up the streets.png

And now crazy guy in the corner has to dance with his shadow. Ohh, the casualties of war. :D

View PostMark., on 17 November 2017 - 08:44 AM, said:

And now crazy guy in the corner has to dance with his shadow. Ohh, the casualties of war. :D

I'm also concerned that the patrons have no reaction to renowned hero Duke Nukem interrupting their party and committing mass murder against the strippers that were hired.

• Polymancer

They are extras in a Duke Nukem title. They've seen some shit. Rampaging aliens aren't worth a second look.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 17 November 2017 - 04:44 PM

Have you considered giving anothef level the same treatment? Duke Burger Reopening? Death Row Reoffended? Area 51 Plus One? Overlooked Hotel Reshined? (wait wrong game...)

User is offline   Mark 

I started doing Red Light District but stopped because too many new models and textures would have been needed. I tried re-making it with existing assets from HH. Maybe with a dedicated team of more people more levels could be done. Putting together and holding together a team is not easy. I think that if I did start up the project and remake more original maps I would cut down on the amount of NPCs and humor and concentrate on the architecture instead.

In case you missed it, on page 3 of this thread there is a download for the partially remade Red Light District map.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 22 November 2017 - 04:38 PM

• Polymancer

We only had three people, We remade a LOT of the props, as well as adding a ton of new ones. We also remade a lot of sector items in model form (like the tunnel) to make it look closer to something in Unreal. it took us nearly two years to complete the mod. Yes, we could have gotten all the NPC's properly animated and coded, but it would have taken us another six months at least, and after that amount of time, we'd all had enough.

I wouldn't want to make anything else like this in EDuke. Even though Hendricks fixed a lot of our rendering issues, I still don't think that EDuke is really the proper vehicle for a project like this. The engine isn't really up to it and the community is pretty solidly behind sprites after all this time.

Yes, it would have been great to make it in Unreal, but we all know why that wasn't done.

The models and the textures are all made from scratch or converted from another format/game? I know that utilize pre-made downloaded models and textures isn't considered that professional but in the end the important thing is how you use and it gives a boost where it is needed, allow more space and time to mapping structure instead of decoration. You guys already doing your best with the tools you have, settle for little is not one of the main goal for sure.

• Polymancer

We did utilise props from Turbo Squid or BlendSwap as otherwise it would have taken us a lot longer. If we had more people in the team, then we'd have made everything from scratch. As it was, there were around 80 models made by ourselves for the mod, and that is not including the new monsters, the new boss or stuff like the new egg model that we made.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 23 November 2017 - 08:32 AM

What's up with the drastically different skin color between head and body for the poledancing girl at the party?

• Polymancer

I had a look at that, as I remember looking at her in game and not seeing anything wrong.

There is a problem, in that the wrong head or skin texture got shuffled in there. My bad. I'll fix that if we patch it in future.

The thing is... I remember looking at her in game and not seeing a problem. So I checked out the model in game. When I first walk into the room, I can see the join really clearly. "Oh shit, why didn't I see that?". Right after I walked in, one of the lizard troopers fired at me. Once that happens, for whatever reason, both the head and body both seem to be the same colour! I don't know if that is a problem with EDuke or my graphics card. But unless I saw the stripper before anyone shot at me, I'd never know that there was a problem.

I've included a shot of the model in Marmoset Toolbag to show the skin colour problem. I've inset a shot from game after the LT shot 'equalises' the problem so you can see what I've been looking at when testing.

Posted Image

Sorry about that guys!

User is offline   Forge 

View PostForge, on 28 August 2017 - 06:24 PM, said:

the female model that looks weird is the one on the dancing pole in the yellow locked room - her head & neck isn't the same color as the rest of her body.

She looked like on my comp. Didn't matter if the enemy fired their weapons or not.

Could be the ambient light setting - I have to tick mine up a couple notches off of default because my monitor isn't the greatest (getting old & wearing out as well)

This post has been edited by Forge: 23 November 2017 - 12:26 PM

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostTea Monster, on 23 November 2017 - 11:29 AM, said:

I had a look at that, as I remember looking at her in game and not seeing anything wrong.

There is a problem, in that the wrong head or skin texture got shuffled in there. My bad. I'll fix that if we patch it in future.

The thing is... I remember looking at her in game and not seeing a problem. So I checked out the model in game. When I first walk into the room, I can see the join really clearly. "Oh shit, why didn't I see that?". Right after I walked in, one of the lizard troopers fired at me. Once that happens, for whatever reason, both the head and body both seem to be the same colour! I don't know if that is a problem with EDuke or my graphics card. But unless I saw the stripper before anyone shot at me, I'd never know that there was a problem.

I've included a shot of the model in Marmoset Toolbag to show the skin colour problem. I've inset a shot from game after the LT shot 'equalises' the problem so you can see what I've been looking at when testing.

Posted Image

Sorry about that guys!

There's nothing wrong with a little tan lines =P

User is offline   Mark 

When she had her hair bleached it went a little too far. She got the Michael Jackson treatment.

User is offline   Hank 

Sue me, but I did not notice this MJ-phenomena thingy, in game, until Mr. Perfect mentioned it. ;)
I just thought, gorgeous :D

This post has been edited by Hank: 23 November 2017 - 04:13 PM

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostHank, on 23 November 2017 - 04:11 PM, said:

Sue me, but I did not notice this MJ-phenomena thingy, in game, until Mr. Perfect mentioned it. ;)
I just thought, gorgeous :D

That's cause your eyes never made it past her breasts (J/K)

This post has been edited by Paul B: 23 November 2017 - 06:26 PM

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options