• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Hollywood Holocaust Rethinked

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Thank you!

NUKEMDAVE - those shots look absolutely fantastic!

I've dropped a notification over on the HRP thread that we've released. Nothing yet. We could just replace a lot of stuff, but I know how picky they can be over stuff. I had previously warned them that our design brief was not "It has to look just like the sprite" and thus they might not want some of our model replacements.

If nothing else, we can upload some of our "Nerd Stuff" (no, I'm never going to get over that!) updates to the HUD model specular values.

As to music, we found that with all the NPC voices we added, they clashed with the soundtrack. There is a soundtrack, but it's disabled by default. You can turn it back on in the settings.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Yes, I mentioned that I read the note in the description that the music was disabled. Didn't realize it was that easily enabled though.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 03 September 2017 - 06:04 AM

View PostHank, on 02 September 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

Spoiler

Very clever :)

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 04 September 2017 - 12:14 AM
Reason for edit: re-added spoiler tag in quote

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostHank, on 02 September 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Sorry I meant to attach the 'Coexistence' picture from a few pages ago. The Lo Wang thing is real cool though :)

I doubt this is gonna work too well on my primitive computer but I'm gonna give it a try anyways. As usual, I'll probably report any bugs from anything else I may encounter.

UPDATE- As expected, my computer wasn't strong enough for this great mod. All the same, it's awesome!

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHendricks266, on 04 September 2017 - 12:15 AM, said:

Spoiler

It's Blow Wang, the inflatable toy!

User is offline   Mark 

View Postdarkprince227, on 04 September 2017 - 02:05 AM, said:

UPDATE- As expected, my computer wasn't strong enough for this great mod. All the same, it's awesome!

You won't get the full effect out of the map but it is playable with Polymost instead of Polymer. Its better than not being able to play it at all. Give it a try.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 04 September 2017 - 03:30 AM

View PostMark., on 04 September 2017 - 03:30 AM, said:

You won't get the full effect out of the map but it is playable with Polymost instead of Polymer. Its better than not being able to play it at all. Give it a try.

Way ahead of ya! I did and I had to tone down the highres quality to 'barf' but it just about worked albeit with a lot of lagging. The worst bit (performance wise) was the ending cinematic.

Despite that, I absolutely loved this mod. :) Great work to everybody involved.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

OMG, why did no one tell me about this? I'm so honored. lol

Attached Image: yatta.jpg

User is offline   Mark 

You're always on my mind big boy. I mapped in Yatta's Sausage store in Decay. So I had to come up with a new one for HHR.

If you don't mind my asking, what is your secret for the "extra thick" yogurt? :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Mark.: 07 November 2017 - 05:04 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

make sure to show how to jump off the front of the movie theatre facade to get into Yata's yogurt.

It's not marked as a secret, but there's a +30 to be had, iirc

This post has been edited by Forge: 07 November 2017 - 08:35 AM

User is offline   Spiker 

No, it boosts you to 200 health Posted Image

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View PostMark., on 07 November 2017 - 05:02 AM, said:

You're always on my mind big boy. I mapped in Yatta's Sausage store in Decay. So I had to come up with a new one for HHR.

If you don't mind my asking, what is your secret for the "extra thick" yogurt? :rolleyes:

Wait, what? I'm in another map too? Pics please!

It's extra thick because I'm extra gay.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostYatta, on 07 November 2017 - 10:30 PM, said:

It's extra thick because I'm extra gay.

Large dose injections of vitamin "D"

User is offline   Mark 

^ Nutritious and delicious. Umm...

Here is the pic from Decay.

I had another scenario with you in Graveyard TC but what that skeleton was doing to your corpse was too graphic. :rolleyes:

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: YATTA2.jpg

This post has been edited by Mark.: 08 November 2017 - 05:04 AM

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View PostMark., on 08 November 2017 - 04:36 AM, said:

^ Nutritious and delicious. Umm...

Here is the pic from Decay.

I had another scenario with you in Graveyard TC but what that skeleton was doing to your corpse was too graphic. :rolleyes:

Love it. <3

User is offline   Mark 

In most of my projects I seem to find a way to pick on you and MickyC. Its my thang...

Rethink all the level of L.A. Meltdown shouldn't be the logic next step at this point insted of stop here? I know that this masterpiece it is intended as a big one-level-episode but we lose a big occasion here (and usually remade only one level of an episode is more from DOOM community than DN3D).

I don't even ask to rethink ALL the original trilogy/quadrilogy episode, that just between "hard but possible" and "simply crazy".

User is offline   NNC 

Please no. This was enough blasphemy.

View PostNancsi, on 09 November 2017 - 10:53 AM, said:

Please no. This was enough blasphemy.

Blasphemy?

Posted Image

User is offline   Mark 

There are plenty of 8-bitters out here that don't like anything different than the same old flat and blocky. They are entitled to their opinions.

User is offline   Forge 

E1L1 has been re-made/re-envisioned multiple times, both in classic and with the new renders & HRP.
E1L2 has a few redos also.

It's one of the reasons why those 8 bitters like Nuclear Winter so much. :D

Personally, "the same old, flat, and blocky', has a certain charm to it.
I like the different styles for what they are and appreciate that new maps and projects are still getting released for this game.

This post has been edited by Forge: 09 November 2017 - 09:28 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Flat and blocky is still popular and that in itself I don't have a problem with. Its the same old enemies, sounds and textures. Some players find solace and comfort with the same old thing. I find it boring. For instance, a nice haunted mansion map. Well made, creepy atmosphere and then out pops a liz trooper with the same old growl and pistol. That spoils it for me.

Not the first two levels or episodes only, it even exist a complete project of a one-map of third episode remake, no one remember Stab's Shrapnel City 2.0?
https://forums.duke4...rapnel-city-20/

Polymer, HRP, Dukeplus... It is not traditional but nobody complained.

You can use other custom maps with the Rethinked feature/enemies? Or Rethinked with Dukeplus at least?
I'm curious to see how Shrapnel City 2.0 with Rethink could look like.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMark., on 10 November 2017 - 05:27 AM, said:

Flat and blocky is still popular and that in itself I don't have a problem with. Its the same old enemies, sounds and textures. Some players find solace and comfort with the same old thing. I find it boring. For instance, a nice haunted mansion map. Well made, creepy atmosphere and then out pops a liz trooper with the same old growl and pistol. That spoils it for me.

I must be quantifying "flat and blocky" differently. - as in the difference between 8bit classic & sprites vs 32bit & models/hrp.
using the 8 bit renderer doesn't necessarily stop anyone from importing new sounds, art, or enemies.

This post has been edited by Forge: 10 November 2017 - 08:13 AM

User is offline   Phredreeke 

View PostForge, on 09 November 2017 - 09:27 PM, said:

E1L1 has been re-made/re-envisioned multiple times, both in classic and with the new renders & HRP.

Let me just drop this idea here...

LA Meltdown except it continues after Red Light District as if Duke wasn't captured,

User is offline   NNC 

View PostForge, on 09 November 2017 - 09:27 PM, said:

It's one of the reasons why those 8 bitters like Nuclear Winter so much. :D

Personally, "the same old, flat, and blocky', has a certain charm to it.
I like the different styles for what they are and appreciate that new maps and projects are still getting released for this game.

I didn't say Hollywood Holocaust is untouchable. I didn't even say it can't be done with polymer graphics and models, and extra details. I just think THIS version was a blasphemy. Unnecessary ideas put into the level that didn't match at all with the original code, weak and not believable civilian conversations (you know, it's hard to believe any of this happens in the middle of an alien invasion), not well thought out and unbalanced enemy placement etc etc. A miss in short.

I give credit for the windowed rooftop at the start with the water pool. One of the few things that worked here.

User is offline   Mark 

If I would have been limited to only replacing textures, replace sprites with models while leaving gameplay and map untouched I wouldn't have even bothered. It wouldn't have been different enough to be worth the effort. I wanted to put my stamp on it with the additions. I realize I could have done some things better but I"m happy with and stand behind the mod.

I'm no history scholar but I seem to recall that in places where the Nazis invaded, life went on within limits in the cities. Same here. ;)

And I knew in advance there would be cries of blasphemy. I even wrote that in the release text. :D

This post has been edited by Mark.: 10 November 2017 - 01:14 PM

User is offline   Phredreeke 

If you're gonna remake a level, then what'd the point if you keep it all the same?

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options