• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDukeNukem64, on 16 May 2017 - 11:42 PM, said:

How about picking tx, yatta and a third who has less ''knowledge'' about Duke and is less known in here.

Why would we choose someone less qualified?

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 17 May 2017 - 07:37 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

The whole point is to connect with this community.

View PostHendricks266, on 17 May 2017 - 04:54 AM, said:

Why would we choose someone less qualified?

Not less qualified - but less of the same opinion about duke. :(

This post has been edited by DukeNukem64: 17 May 2017 - 09:01 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDukeNukem64, on 17 May 2017 - 09:00 AM, said:

So we can waste Randy's time by sending mixed messages? Properly formed opinions and correct judgments can only come from what you call "knowledge".

I agree that the panel lineup as it stands could use a community fixture who isn't necessarily also part of the staff, or at least involved in different ways.

Also, to respond to your edit, Duke already has "modern elements" well covered.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostDukeNukem64, on 17 May 2017 - 09:00 AM, said:

Why would we want to spread wrong opinions?

User is offline   Mark 

Heaven forbid we have diversity of thought. :( But in this case I think a majority of the community wants a lot of the same things. So 2 is probably enough.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 17 May 2017 - 10:17 AM

View PostJimmy, on 17 May 2017 - 09:51 AM, said:

Why would we want to spread wrong opinions?

You can't technically say it is a wrong opinion - there is a reason why it is an opinion and not fact.

And also: Fair enough - I for one don't always agree with majority of people in here. I will continue to stay of the discussion.

This post has been edited by DukeNukem64: 17 May 2017 - 12:16 PM

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View PostMark., on 17 May 2017 - 10:15 AM, said:

Heaven forbid we have diversity of thought. :( But in this case I think a majority of the community wants a lot of the same things. So 2 is probably enough.

I'd like a game that'd bring proper creative non-linear level design into the todays gameworld, where it is completely missing at.

I think a new duke game could do this aspect well because really.. games are missing alot when everything is given to you on a silverplatter and doom 4 already did take us more into this non-linear level design direction anyways. It makes natural sense for history to repeat itself and Duke come yet again and do things better than doom did, just like in the nineties.

Wolfenstein 2014 started this change away from CoD designs and doom 4 was already was signficantly more old school than wolf 2014 was. Doom 4 was quite old school on quite many aspects but the level design was still averagely non-linear at best. Duke can again literally do things better by bringing back the proper level design aspect of these games.

This post has been edited by spessu_sb: 17 May 2017 - 10:37 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Opinions can totally be wrong.

User is offline   Mark 

No, its an opinion which is regardless of the facts. In my opinion the sky should be green. Thats not right or wrong, its an opinion. 'nuff said :(

This post has been edited by Mark.: 17 May 2017 - 10:46 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostMark., on 17 May 2017 - 10:45 AM, said:

No, its an opinion which is regardless of the facts. In my opinion the sky should be green. Thats not right or wrong, its an opinion. 'nuff said :(

Isn't responding "no" to someone's opinion that opinions can be wrong effectively telling them their opinion is wrong?

Anyway, back on topic guys.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Tx and Yatta are the liaison between this community and Randy.

So what are the plans Tx & Yatta?
What are you planning on discussing & who from the community do you intend to invite?

User is offline   Minigunner 

Though I've already suggested it, I'll mention here that Charlie Wiederhold is another possibility, due to his involvement with the Duke community as well as being employed by both 3DRealms and Gearbox.

User is offline   axl 

View Postspessu_sb, on 17 May 2017 - 10:32 AM, said:

I'd like a game that'd bring proper creative non-linear level design into the todays gameworld, where it is completely missing at.

I think a new duke game could do this aspect well because really.. games are missing alot when everything is given to you on a silverplatter and doom 4 already did take us more into this non-linear level design direction anyways. It makes natural sense for history to repeat itself and Duke come yet again and do things better than doom did, just like in the nineties.

Wolfenstein 2014 started this change away from CoD designs and doom 4 was already was signficantly more old school than wolf 2014 was. Doom 4 was quite old school on quite many aspects but the level design was still averagely non-linear at best. Duke can again literally do things better by bringing back the proper level design aspect of these games.

This. When I think of Duke Nukem 3D, the first thing that comes into my mind, is the top notch level design... the gameplay had a lot in common with Doom at the time, but the level design was and still is unmatched...

View Postaxl, on 17 May 2017 - 09:31 PM, said:

This. When I think of Duke Nukem 3D, the first thing that comes into my mind, is the top notch level design... the gameplay had a lot in common with Doom at the time, but the level design was and still is unmatched...

Hollywood Holocaust is the crystallization of the best aspects of Duke3D level design. There are many levels in the game that do it, but Hollywood Holocaust is special because it has so much variety and different paths, provided you find all the secrets. The fact it's such a small level makes it even better.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

HH and Red Light District are both the perfect Duke3D levels. HH only more so because it's the first one you play and it has the memorable cinema, but Red Light has the strip club.
Both also have OJ references.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View PostForge, on 17 May 2017 - 11:08 AM, said:

Tx and Yatta are the liaison between this community and Randy.

So what are the plans Tx & Yatta?
What are you planning on discussing & who from the community do you intend to invite?

Waiting on Gearbox's PR team to get back to us, but it looks like it'll be me, TX, and Fred.

View PostMinigunner, on 17 May 2017 - 08:49 PM, said:

Though I've already suggested it, I'll mention here that Charlie Wiederhold is another possibility, due to his involvement with the Duke community as well as being employed by both 3DRealms and Gearbox.

I share that opinion and tried for it, but unfortunately was unable to make it work.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Good luck and thanks for doing this, to all involved ! :(

User is offline   Franpa 

Woo, my forum account still exists after a multiple year long hiatus (last post was in 2012)!

I would greatly appreciate the opportunity of having access to a recording of whatever happens, something that I/we can review at any time.

This post has been edited by Franpa: 21 May 2017 - 06:30 PM

User is offline   trustn0! 

So what's going on? Still waiting on parties coordinating?

User is offline   Duke4Beta 

Though my reputation is shattered on this website, I hope to redeem it.

I too would like to show my interest in an update.

View Postspessu_sb, on 17 May 2017 - 10:32 AM, said:

Well said, and Duke 3D World Tour's new episode with Levelord and Allen Blum showed that it can still be done, and they to some degree get the appeal of this at Gearbox. Now hopefully they can realize with that and some of what Doom 2016 did, making great levels with this design philosophy for a modern game would put it head and shoulders above the competition.

That Doom game was great, but some of that with something akin to the atmosphere and character of a level like Hollywood Holocaust today (only bigger etc), it would blow away other games.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 27 May 2017 - 01:44 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Did you say a bigger HH? Here's is a little larger and loaded with props.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: mapview.jpg

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View Posttrustn0!, on 27 May 2017 - 09:46 AM, said:

So what's going on? Still waiting on parties coordinating?

Waiting to hear back.

User is offline   Randy Pitchford 

• Gearbox CEO

Hi,

An update...

Next week is not going to work for me, but the following week I will be seeing if I can coordinate something with support from the Gearbox marketing/PR team.

I received an e-mail from Yatta suggesting that he, TerminX and Frederik will be on the call with me. I have responded to them just now and will be coordinating the discussion that should happen sometime within the next 10 to 14 days from now, barring any E3 craziness getting in my way.

While I'm happy to touch on any topic in the discussion, the thing that interests me most (and, I hope, interests this community the most) is the topic of Duke Nukem's future. I intend to interact candidly and at a very high and strategic level about next steps.

Always bet on Duke.

-Randy

User is offline   stumppy84 

This is great news! I think we are also very interested in what the future holds for Duke! I think reverting a back to its roots is a good thing!

Levels: non-linear, secrets, cool locations
Old Duke personality: not Douche Nukem(please no "Bro!")
Weapons: I really like the weapons, maybe alternate fire modes with upgrades

This post has been edited by stumppy84: 28 May 2017 - 08:17 AM

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 27 May 2017 - 01:42 PM, said:

Well said, and Duke 3D World Tour's new episode with Levelord and Allen Blum showed that it can still be done, and they to some degree get the appeal of this at Gearbox. Now hopefully they can realize with that and some of what Doom 2016 did, making great levels with this design philosophy for a modern game would put it head and shoulders above the competition.

That Doom game was great, but some of that with something akin to the atmosphere and character of a level like Hollywood Holocaust today (only bigger etc), it would blow away other games.

I think it needs a bit of speed. Modern FPSes drank from Goldeneye's water and became very slow as a result. Duke is fun because it's fast. It seems more "flexible" than both Doom and Quake, too.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostDuke of Hazzard, on 28 May 2017 - 09:30 AM, said:

I think it needs a bit of speed. Modern FPSes drank from Goldeneye's water and became very slow as a result. Duke is fun because it's fast. It seems more "flexible" than both Doom and Quake, too.

Freedom of movement was a huge thing in Duke 3D - jumping over projectiles or between platforms, crawling through vents and other tight spaces, ducking behind cover, even flying... I think a grab/climb move such as in Doom 4 would fit very well into Duke - even Duke Plus and Manhattan Project had it.

Secrets. One of my favorite things about Duke 3D was the secrets. I love that fact that I still to this day haven't found them all, and some I didn't know how to find until I red how to last year. Good, quality secrets could make the next Duke game stand out in the crowd. Doom had some great secret areas, so that'd be a good place to look. Classic Duke 3D took things from classic Doom, but improved and expanded upon them, try to do the same. I have every confidence that you could make a great, and entertaining Duke Nukem game. Just, take your time... not too much time :3... and bring the king back. :P

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostNever Forgotten, on 30 May 2017 - 08:28 PM, said:

Secrets. One of my favorite things about Duke 3D was the secrets. I love that fact that I still to this day haven't found them all, and some I didn't know how to find until I red how to last year. Good, quality secrets could make the next Duke game stand out in the crowd. Doom had some great secret areas, so that'd be a good place to look. Classic Duke 3D took things from classic Doom, but improved and expanded upon them, try to do the same. I have every confidence that you could make a great, and entertaining Duke Nukem game. Just, take your time... not too much time :3... and bring the king back. :P

Secrets and freedom of movement were, in the case of Duke and Build games, very intimately related. It helped make the secrets (and exploration in general) in my opinion much more interesting than in Doom.

The high degree of freedom of movement meant you were free to explore what was in other games, both earlier and later, just set dressing - you could jump or fly up to that small ledge to see if anything was there, or it could give you a vantage point from where other secrets could be seen. Or crawl through that tight space or air duct. Maybe even explore the roof by jumping out a second story window.

It allowed mappers to place secret items and areas much more logically, and the secrets themselves could help set the mood and theme of the maps and episodes.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 31 May 2017 - 05:19 AM

Share this topic:

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options