Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32, Polymer: Shadows and specular effects disabling after reloading a game - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32, Polymer: Shadows and specular effects disabling after reloading a game

Hello. I've posted the following on the sticky topic EDuke32 2.0 & Polymer!

View PostDarth Slaughter, on 17 November 2016 - 05:37 PM, said:

Hello people. First time posting here since I didn't find any post here or elsewhere that matches my problem.

I've had an urge to replay duke nukem 3d using eduke32 with the fancy polymer renderer, and it's working almost perfectly... If only shadows, dynamic lighting and specular effects weren't deactivating everytime I have to reload a game. If I restart the game from main menu, everything works fine, but if I die and reload, I lose the effects, even if they're turned on in the settings menu. Also, if I complete a level, the next level will start working perfectly, but if I die and restart or reload, effects disappear...

Also If I enter the game and load a save to continue playing, the game starts with the effects turned off. This happens in both HRP and old sprites/original textures. Frame-rate is 60 in all cases, except when the effects are working with HRP models and textures, when FPS drops to 40 sometimes.

The only way to keep the effects is if I don't die at all.

Anyone could point me what's happening, and if there's a specific sub-forum or thread other than this one?

My computer is an i7-2600, GTX 970 4 GB, 16 ram, windows 7.

Here are screenshots of my problem:

Saved at this point:
Posted Image

Imediate reload:
Posted Image

same case with HPR on:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thank you.

Since I got no answer, I'm creating a new topic presenting the problem. I'd try to report the bug on the tracker, but maybe this has already been fixed. Also, i'm not familiar with forum structure, so if I posted in the wrong section, feel free to move to the right one.

User is offline   Spiker 

It's been like this forever. Type "restartvid" in the console to fix it.

View PostDarth Slaughter, on 18 November 2016 - 01:08 PM, said:

Hello. I've posted the following on the sticky topic EDuke32 2.0 & Polymer!

Since I got no answer, I'm creating a new topic presenting the problem. I'd try to report the bug on the tracker, but maybe this has already been fixed. Also, i'm not familiar with forum structure, so if I posted in the wrong section, feel free to move to the right one.

Thanks. But the command doesn't work... I mean, it reinitializes the screen but it stays with no effects, just like when reloaded. No shadows/specular effects. Well, Guess I'll have to play with polymost os the original...

User is offline   Mark 

Or go back to an older version that doesn't have that problem. An older project I helped with used version 5293 and there were no reported problems like you mentioned.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Please bisect this.

User is offline   Mark 

here we go again... :mellow: I'll try to get to it today or tomorrow.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostMark., on 19 November 2016 - 12:18 PM, said:

here we go again... :mellow: I'll try to get to it today or tomorrow.

I'd just like to point out that something like 8 of the last 10 commits are fixes directly based on reports found here and on the bug tracker. Though our resources are spread pretty thin--we're down to just Evan and I working on this kind of thing--reported issues do make it onto "the list" and they do eventually get fixed. I know it can sometimes seem like a waste of time to go to the trouble of creating a bug report, bisecting builds, etc, but in the long run it's anything but that, and instead is actually a huge help.

User is offline   Mark 

Thanks to Spiker who said its been a problem for a long time I decided to bisect from the bottom on up. :mellow: After 5 versions I ended up at the latest. It seems I can't reproduce the glitch. My Polymer lighting comes back after loading a saved game either before or after dying in all the tested versions.

For what its worth, I'm running in 32bit Win7 with Nvidia 750TI

This post has been edited by Mark.: 19 November 2016 - 03:40 PM

View PostMark., on 19 November 2016 - 08:02 AM, said:

Or go back to an older version that doesn't have that problem. An older project I helped with used version 5293 and there were no reported problems like you mentioned.

Yeah, tried it, the problem persists with 5293. both win32 and win64.

Guess that happens only to me...

User is offline   Mark 

Unless somebody else can confirm the glitch with testing, the problem may be something on your end. My guess is if it has been a problem since at least 5293 or earlier someone else might have noticed it.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 20 November 2016 - 03:48 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

From memory this was a problem in the past and it was fixed. This is remembering back a long way though so the details are very fuzzy.

User is offline   Jblade 

Is there any reason why setthisprojectile may not work at times? is setting certain values like extra not possible once the projectile has been fired, or are there flags that might conflict with it? The projectile's workslike is 36866

EDIT: Ok just tested it and taking out PROJECTILE RPG IMPACT made it do the damage I specified. Is this a bug or part of how that flag works?

Also another minor thing; if I fire a projectile directly from the player, its userdata flag isn't set.

WOOPS

This post has been edited by Jblade: 20 November 2016 - 10:07 AM

• Honored Donor

Wrong thread chump :mellow:

User is offline   Mark 

Yeah, those codeheads get a little absentminded from time to time. :mellow:

Well, I did some testing here, and these effects (specular and shadows) are present only if I have the HRP installed. If I uncheck the "enable "autoload" folder" optin in EDuke32, the effects do not load appear at all, leaving me to believe these effects are related to the HRP files.

Also, when the effects are workin, if I die and pre use button and restart the level from the beginning, the effects are not disabled.

User is offline   Mark 

Are you using the autoload folder to use other packs of music or something? Most people do not use that system any more.
what version of eduke are you running? It should tell you at the top of your log file

This post has been edited by Mark.: 20 November 2016 - 12:07 PM

View PostMark., on 20 November 2016 - 12:06 PM, said:

Are you using the autoload folder to use other packs of music or something? Most people do not use that system any more.
what version of eduke are you running? It should tell you at the top of your log file

Yes. I've downloaded the HRP pack. Put everything inside the autoload folder.

Then I downloaded the newest version and overwriten it:

EDuke32 r5938 (64-bit) C++ build

Post doubled, Sorry...

This post has been edited by Darth Slaughter: 20 November 2016 - 12:42 PM

User is offline   Mark 

I don't know if it has anything to do with your problem but having an autoload folder is the old way of doing things. Eduke has been updated to allow for a different folder and file structure so autoload isn't needed any more.

I was going to take a screen capture of one of my Eduke project main folders to show you how it should be set up. But it seems all of my projects have lots of added files and folders. I don't have a stock folder to show. :mellow: Maybe someone else can help.

View PostMark., on 20 November 2016 - 05:08 PM, said:

I don't know if it has anything to do with your problem but having an autoload folder is the old way of doing things. Eduke has been updated to allow for a different folder and file structure so autoload isn't needed any more.

I was going to take a screen capture of one of my Eduke project main folders to show you how it should be set up. But it seems all of my projects have lots of added files and folders. I don't have a stock folder to show. :mellow: Maybe someone else can help.

Hmmmm... HRP full download is structured with an autoload folder.

If this is the old why, why it isn't changed?

I actually reinstalled in a fresh folder/directory, used the eduke32 packaged with it, used the shareware version it came with, and guess what? reload, loose the effects. One thing is that dynamic light effects, like fire, muzzle flash, explosions works as intended... what deactivates is the "shader" effect...

User is offline   Mark 

I haven't used the autoload folder for about 4-5 years. I assumed most people weren't too. Maybe I'm wrong if thats how Eduke32 is being offered online.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostMark., on 21 November 2016 - 04:14 PM, said:

I haven't used the autoload folder for about 4-5 years. I assumed most people weren't too. Maybe I'm wrong if thats how Eduke32 is being offered online.
For mods with their own toplevel CONs or specific configuration options/files it's convenient to select the "Custom dame content directory" at startup, or simply copy DUKE3D.GRP and eduke32.exe into their folder.
But for the HRP, autoload is the way to go, especially for beginners.
- No HRP unpacking
- No additional command line parameters
- Add music packs, Z.Pack, or other HRP-related ZIPs to autoload without further ado
- The "Custom game content directory" slot can be used for HRP-compatible mods like DukePlus

View PostLeoD, on 21 November 2016 - 04:52 PM, said:

For mods with their own toplevel CONs or specific configuration options/files it's convenient to select the "Custom dame content directory" at startup, or simply copy DUKE3D.GRP and eduke32.exe into their folder.
But for the HRP, autoload is the way to go, especially for beginners.
- No HRP unpacking
- No additional command line parameters
- Add music packs, Z.Pack, or other HRP-related ZIPs to autoload without further ado
- The "Custom game content directory" slot can be used for HRP-compatible mods like DukePlus

Well, I even downloaded just eduke32, copied DUKE3D.GRP, and started using polymer. The effects are not present in this case. Polymer looks just the same way polymost looks.

Looks like these effects seen in my screenshots (added shadows and full lighting) are present only in HRP.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Of course you only get these lights with the HRP. They are part of the maphacks. I think this is rather about how maphacks are handled by EDuke32.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 22 November 2016 - 01:07 AM

I know this has been sitting here for a while, but does anyone have an update on this or was able to find a workaround?

I have this issue happening on 2 different machines running the latest eduke32. The maphack lights are loaded for any new level, but not when loading from a saved game.

It would be nice to die and be able to continue from a saved game with the nice lighting.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Looking back at the beginning of the thread, you said that restartvid didn't fix it, but did you ever try going into the video menu and switching to software renderer, then switching back to polymer? That might force it to reload everything.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 29 April 2020 - 10:58 PM, said:

Looking back at the beginning of the thread, you said that restartvid didn't fix it, but did you ever try going into the video menu and switching to software renderer, then switching back to polymer? That might force it to reload everything.

Thanks for replying! Btw, I'm not anyone of the original posters, I just stumbled here as it was the only place I found describing the issue I was having.

Yes, I did try restartvid and switching the renderer tons of times while trying to figure out what was going on and when, but those changes did not do anything besides making the screen flash for a second (reloading drivers/renderer I suppose), but did not bring back the lights.

From that testing, it seems to me that the loading of the map from a saved game works different from that of a new game, and either the saved game is simply missing the lights data or it just simply does not instruct the renderer to fetch them from the maphack. I doubt it's a problem with the renderer itself because the lighting effects from other actions do work as expected (eg from an explosion or from the shrinker gun).

It's actually very simple to test (if anyone else is willing to), you just need to start a new game (and make sure the lights are working, eg in duke's shadow), then save game and finally load that saved game, and the lights/shadows will disappear. But then if you start a new game again, the shadows come back. Also, if you're playing in a loaded game that has "lost" the shadows, you can kill yourself and say "no" to "load last saved game?", which will load the map as new and the lights/shadows will work again!

Anyway, I hope if more people are able to replicate the issue, it will get enough importance so it can be looked into.

Thanks

User is offline   FRVIND 

Hi
I have the same identical problem and It's very unpleasant!
My version of Eduke is about September 2019 (but I tried many versions), Win 10 and GeForce 2060 RTX. Also I have DukePlus 2.51.
I think It's regarded to a type of "global illumination" that is totally activated only at the beginning of the map...

This post has been edited by FRVIND: 16 July 2020 - 11:50 AM

• Honored Donor

Do you have the same problem without DukePlus?

View PostMicky C, on 16 July 2020 - 08:53 PM, said:

Do you have the same problem without DukePlus?

I have never used DukePlus and always have had this problem. I'm pretty sure DukePlus is not to blame.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options