Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer! - Duke4.net Forums

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer!  "talk about the wonders of EDuke32 and the new renderer"

User is offline   Mark 

Large radius SE 50 lights with their shadow casting can really drag things down.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMark., on 25 October 2016 - 02:55 PM, said:

Large radius SE 50 lights with their shadow casting can really drag things down.

I think he's asking more along the lines of the console commands.

User is offline   Mark 

Probably. But since he mentioned a noticible framerate drop with only 5 lights that made me think they must be large and/or SE 50 lights I thought I would throw that in.

View PostMicky C, on 26 October 2016 - 02:47 AM, said:

I think he's asking more along the lines of the console commands.

If by console you mean the menu, that would be it.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

In build 5916, I'm still coming across some Z-Fighting issues with ornamented sprites:
Posted Image

If you need a link to the map (this being a usermap), let me know.

This happens in Polymer.

This post has been edited by Striker: 26 October 2016 - 05:14 PM

User is offline   Mark 

there is a thread concerning that problem. maybe post it there
https://forums.duke4..._30#entry264322

• Auramancer

That's for Polymost, this happens in Polymer. Perhaps some use of glPolygonOffset is needed?

This post has been edited by Striker: 26 October 2016 - 05:14 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Maybe I should have been clearer: we have not done any work on z-fighting in Polymer, so there can't be any regressions. I'm only asking about Polymost, since we've switched from a method that mostly (always?) worked on desktop to developing one that mostly (always, hopefully) works on both GL and GL ES.

View PostStriker, on 26 October 2016 - 05:14 PM, said:

Perhaps some use of glPolygonOffset is needed?

That's one possibility among several, but I can't speak for what is best for Polymer.

• Auramancer

Sorry, I missed that. This is my first time really going through this thread.

Hello people. First time posting here since I didn't find any post here or elsewhere that matches my problem.

I've had an urge to replay duke nukem 3d using eduke32 with the fancy polymer renderer, and it's working almost perfectly... If only shadows, dynamic lighting and specular effects weren't deactivating everytime I have to reload a game. If I restart the game from main menu, everything works fine, but if I die and reload, I lose the effects, even if they're turned on in the settings menu. Also, if I complete a level, the next level will start working perfectly, but if I die and restart or reload, effects disappear...

Also If I enter the game and load a save to continue playing, the game starts with the effects turned off. This happens in both HRP and old sprites/original textures. Frame-rate is 60 in all cases, except when the effects are working with HRP models and textures, when FPS drops to 40 sometimes.

The only way to keep the effects is if I don't die at all.

Anyone could point me what's happening, and if there's a specific sub-forum or thread other than this one?

My computer is an i7-2600, GTX 970 4 GB, 16 ram, windows 7.

Here are screenshots of my problem:

Saved at this point:
Posted Image

Imediate reload:
Posted Image

same case with HPR on:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thank you.

• Honored Donor

Is it normal for a map to run in less than half (and sometimes a third) of the frame rate in eduke32 as it does in mapster32?

User is offline   Mark 

For me its the opposite. Eduke has always run faster than Mapster as far as the FPS counter. Its been that way ever since i can remember. Everything I do is in Polymer and high res content, it may be different in other renderers.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 19 November 2016 - 06:25 PM

• Honored Donor

I'm using the classic renderer. It goes down from about 70fps in mapster to ~20 in eduke32. It's with the AMC TC so there's probably all sorts of con interpretation happening in the background, but still that's a massive difference.

I have another map that's extremely large and around 30 fps, but then dips to around 15fps in eduke.

Edit: I was using the 32-bit version. I tested out the 64-bit version, and the performance of the first map was ~30 fps which is a significant improvement. Perhaps it's a RAM thing then? I was under the impression that the 64-bit version had slower code in use for the classic renderer. There was negligible improvement for the second map.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 19 November 2016 - 09:37 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

I strongly doubt it has anything to do with Eduke32 and more to do with what you put in the map (you do love to build your maps excessively big :mellow:) but if you get better performance in the 64bit than that's good - I should of included both 32bit and 64bit with the main download in retrospect.

• Honored Donor

In for the fps counts I mentioned there was absolutely nothing happening in the map at the time. Freshly loaded, no enemies, no explosions or anything. Just a massive dip in framerate. It looked pretty much identical to what was seen in mapster. Sure there's the skybox feature, but I disabled that and it didn't make much difference.

If it was purely the size of the map (i.e the graphics rendering) then wouldn't it be similar?

This post has been edited by Micky C: 19 November 2016 - 11:58 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Classic is faster in 64-bit in a lot of cases these days. Not all, but many!

User is offline   Jblade 

Yeah I just gave it another spin and it definitely runs a lot better for me in 1920x1080 with the 64bit build; I really have to pat you guys on the back for making this port run so damn well even with all the retarded shit I try and force through it. I'll have to remember to include a 64bit exe with the next release for sure :mellow:

• Honored Donor

View PostTerminX, on 20 November 2016 - 12:37 AM, said:

Classic is faster in 64-bit in a lot of cases these days. Not all, but many!

Oh you guys have improved the 64-bit compatible code? Sweet!

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Yeah, we optimized some of the heavier code paths in the C version of the classic renderer. Mostly did it for HTTKC to speed up viewscreens, but it helped a lot on the PC too.

User is offline   Jblade 

Is there any reason why setthisprojectile may not work at times? is setting certain values like extra not possible once the projectile has been fired, or are there flags that might conflict with it? The projectile's workslike is 36866

EDIT: Ok just tested it and taking out PROJECTILE RPG IMPACT made it do the damage I specified. Is this a bug or part of how that flag works?

Also another minor thing; if I fire a projectile directly from the player, its userdata flag isn't set.

User is offline   Jblade 

http://wiki.eduke32.com/wiki/Xpanning

Is there any way to implement the texture shifting part to weapon models? Basically I'd like to use it to implement a HL-style chrome effect on a part of a weapon model - I've split the chrome part into it's own model so there's no seperate surfaces to mess about with or anything.

User is offline   Avoozl 

View PostDarth Slaughter, on 17 November 2016 - 05:37 PM, said:

If only shadows, dynamic lighting and specular effects weren't deactivating everytime I have to reload a game. If I restart the game from main menu, everything works fine, but if I die and reload, I lose the effects, even if they're turned on in the settings menu. Also, if I complete a level, the next level will start working perfectly, but if I die and restart or reload, effects disappear...

Also If I enter the game and load a save to continue playing, the game starts with the effects turned off. This happens in both HRP and old sprites/original textures. Frame-rate is 60 in all cases, except when the effects are working with HRP models and textures, when FPS drops to 40 sometimes.

The only way to keep the effects is if I don't die at all.

Here are screenshots of my problem:

same case with HPR on:

http://i.imgur.com/DK9gVDd.png

http://i.imgur.com/rYhIvK6.png

Thank you.
I hope there's a solution to this.

This post has been edited by Grand Admiral Thrawn: 18 December 2016 - 06:57 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Is there any way to directly access how the shaders in Polymer work? Is there a scripting language that you can use to hack how specular and gloss maps work in the renderer?

Also, is there any way to turn off that disastrous optimization where models disappear when not directly viewed by the player?

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

You mean the one where models are completely tied to sprites so if the sprite isn't visible/drawn the model isn't visible?
No.

And that's not an "optimization". That goes back to the first implementations of models since there's nothing in the engine for objects other than Sectors, Walls, and Sprites (and the player entity which is really just hooked into sprites, for the most part). So models were simply set to draw in the position of the sprite (with offsets given from def) whenever the sprite it was tied to was rendered.

Design accordingly.

• Honored Donor

AFAIK there's no kind of scripting to control polymer's shaders either. All shaders need to be hard-coded at the moment.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

The most you get is tweaking parameters in def. Shaders generally aren't "scriptable". You write them in GLSL (in this case), or if you're using D3D you would write HLSL shaders. There are also various intermediary languages and compilers that allow you to write shaders in a way that's comfortable for you (either language) and use them in different APIs. The shaders are currently compiled into the source, not external. Simply modifying them willy nilly would break more than you might think, unless you had a very clear idea of both what you were doing and how and why the original shader functioned the way it did and the kinds of input/output the engine might be expecting to get from the shader. Not impossible but pretty impractical.

User is offline   Och 

I'm getting graphic flickering when running eduke with polymer. Latest version of eduke32-64, but it happens with other versions as well.

User is offline   Kawa 

Yeah, that's the same problem that was already discussed earlier on this very page, back in October.

User is offline   Och 

View PostKawa, on 01 January 2017 - 01:07 PM, said:

Yeah, that's the same problem that was already discussed earlier on this very page, back in October.

I understand there is no fix for it? It's been a while since I've played the game, but I think even years ago similar flickering existed.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

We should probably port the fixes for this from Polymost to Polymer.

Share this topic:

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options