Duke4.net Forums: HRP Issues Thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HRP Issues Thread  "Post your HRP Problems/Issues here"

User is offline   David B. 

View PostLeoD, on 30 September 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

Happens with every map? Please post the full log as attachment. And do the same for the debug executable (although I don't expect any news there).

Yes, with every map and in both modes - Polymer / without Polymer.
So it's just impossible for me to play the game in fact. Each time I got exactly the same error with this line :

"Failed loading skin file "highres/sprites/firstperson/duke_hand_d.png": error -1"

Is there a trouble with this skin file or something ? Seems weird.
I'll attach the entire log files when I can, and I'll also try that command line in the console to see what happen.

This post has been edited by David B.: 01 October 2013 - 02:13 AM

User is offline   Salk 

I posted this on the wrong place so here I come.

I was playing the second level of Episode 1 and I had missing textures on the bathroom floor. This happened after I had saved and then loaded. The first time all was fine.

I uploaded an image here: http://picpaste.com/...or-lxDuFK4Y.jpg

I have also just found another problem with some shadow:

http://picpaste.com/...ue-4v4eoSdj.jpg

I am playing with the default settings (except for keyboard and mouse changes).

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostSalk, on 01 October 2013 - 04:56 AM, said:

I posted this on the wrong place so here I come.

I was playing the second level of Episode 1 and I had missing textures on the bathroom floor. This happened after I had saved and then loaded. The first time all was fine.

I uploaded an image here: http://picpaste.com/...or-lxDuFK4Y.jpg

I have also just found another problem with some shadow:

http://picpaste.com/...ue-4v4eoSdj.jpg

I am playing with the default settings (except for keyboard and mouse changes).
404 - no pic here (you didn't copy the links correctly).
First issue: close all nearby doors and lockers. If the problem goes away, then this is a known Polymer renderer bug, not much HRP related.
Not sure what the problem in the second screenshot is.

View PostLeoD, on 30 September 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

Happens with every map? Please post the full log as attachment. And do the same for the debug executable (although I don't expect any news there).

EDIT:

I tried r_memcache 0 with no result.
Here is the log file I've got. The last time I ran eduke32.debug.exe for this try.
By now, I can't launch any map and play the game anymore.

Many thanks for help.

Attached File(s)

View PostDavid B., on 01 October 2013 - 09:45 AM, said:

I tried r_memcache 0 with no result.
Here is the log file I've got. The last time I ran eduke32.debug.exe for this try.
By now, I can't launch any map and play the game anymore.

Many thanks for help.

So is there a solution anywhere or should I have maybe to skip the textures loading ?
I never had troubles with the former version... I saw a thread dating from 2011 with the same problem but no real fixing instruction.

This post has been edited by David B.: 02 October 2013 - 02:20 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostDavid B., on 02 October 2013 - 02:16 AM, said:

I never had troubles with the former version...
Which version did you use prior to 5.3?
Use the -hduke3d_hrp_polymost.def command line parameter (or add the Polymost HRP Override Pack) to see if at least the Polymost part of the HRP works for you.
I don't know if it affects daskinloader's memory but you could add -cachesize 131072 to your command line.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

David B: you're simply running out of virtual memory. You could delay terminating EDuke32 for a while by skipping the precaching, but eventually it'll come back. Also note that Polymer is rather more memory-hungry due model format conversions. In the long run, the 64-bit build seems like the only viable option for Polymer + HRP.

LeoD: it's not specific to daskinloader(), this is just where the first allocation failure happens. Also, -cachesize is for non-hightile stuff.

• EDuke32 Developer

Looking at the log, there's one more thing to note: you're running Windows XP, which by default allows a single process to allocate at most two gigs. I used to recommend enabling a boot-time switch bumping that limit to three gigs, hat at one point that made the NVIDIA driver not load anymore. Anyhow, since XP will soon be unsupported, it might be a good time to upgrade.

I skipped the textures loading and finally could play some maps with that new pack.
Well... after some reflexion, I'm now back to the HRP 5.1 cause I'd personnaly rather enjoy that former version (for the pistol & shotgun I liked a lot, just to give an example), and so to avoid those launching troubles.
I'm the guy who doesn't like too much changes :P , that's the same for windows XP and I'll be sad the day I'll be forced to upgrade it.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Well, HRP hardware requirements will continue to increase with future releases since more "super highres" textures and skins will be added to adapt to more recent visual standards.
Sadly, we can't make it right for everyone, and even though we have Polymost support thanks to LeoD, sooner or later some people will need to make a choice whether they want to upgrade their hardware to enjoy latest additions or they have to stay with one of the earlier HRP versions.

Even though Polymer is far from being optimized for best possible performance still, it's the "showcase renderer" to provide the best visuals, and contributions are usually aiming for that.

About the new weapons: I like the new pistol a lot, it's a lot closer to the original sprite than the old model. On the other hand, the shotgun still doesn't convince me. It's the weapon you will end up using most often throughout the game, so it needs to be good - and it isn't. The animation is too jerky - while the model itself isn't bad but could still need some touch here and there. Maybe someone can take another look at it for the next release.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 05 October 2013 - 04:02 PM

User is offline   MacoMan 

Whenever I revert back to the polymost renderer, either using command line or Polymost Override Pack with the latest HRP, I get graphical issues with HUD/weapons, especially noticeable with the kick (see screen grab below). Is there a fix for this? Using the latest eDuke but the issue remains even with older HRP packs (4.0). Using the polymer or openGL without HRP fixes the problem but sometimes my system drags (even on an i5 GTX 660 system!) TI) using the former so sometimes I prefer polymost.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by MacoMan: 13 October 2013 - 10:23 AM

• EDuke32 Developer

That looks like the model was cut too eagerly on the torso side, i.e. a HRP issue. I can confim this for the right kick with wide aspects, but TBH it doesn't bother this very much. Is this more severe with other weapons?

User is offline   MacoMan 

MacoMan, on 13 October 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:

Whenever I revert back to the polymost renderer, either using command line or Polymost Override Pack with the latest HRP, I get graphical issues with HUD/weapons, especially noticeable with the kick (see screen grab below). Is there a fix for this? Using the latest eDuke but the issue remains even with older HRP packs (4.0). Using the polymer or openGL without HRP fixes the problem but sometimes my system drags (even on an i5 GTX 660 system!) TI) using the former so sometimes I prefer polymost.

No, this is the worst example, though it can also be seen on the RPG near the very bottom of the weapon when Duke is bobbing up & down as he runs. I kind of figured it's a HRP polymost issue. Nothing too major but does keep this from being a virtually perfect Duke 3d experience/enhancement. I'm guessing nothing can be done short of using just OpenGL 32-bit alone or with polymer. Oh well,

This post has been edited by MacoMan: 14 October 2013 - 02:50 PM

User is offline   Phantasm 

Hey everyone. I am having a framerate issue I would like to see if it's possible to resolve. I cannot run HRP in Polymer or Polymost without the framerate dropping (E1M1 gets about 28-40 FPS). I was wondering if there were any console commands to disable something exclusive to HRP that would increase framerate? Without HRP, using Polymer or Polymost I get full framerate (60+ FPS), with or without DukePlus. Are there any lighting effects or graphical features exclusive to HRP that I can disable? I notice the lighting changes a bit when I have HRP enabled. I don't use the 3D models. I have tried everything in the Duke 3D options menu so it's down to console commands I imagine. Thanks

• Intel Core i3-2100 3.10Ghz
  • Nvidia GTX 550 Ti 2GB
  • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
  • 8GB Ram

• EDuke32 2.0.0devel r4275 (32-bit?)
  • HRP 5.3
  • DukePlus 2.35
  • Saturn Music 3.0
  • 1920x1080
  • Vsync Off

This post has been edited by Phantasm: 31 January 2014 - 08:38 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Polymost HRP should run significantly faster than Polymer HRP on your machine. Post your log file as attachment.

The ingame video options allow you try out different texture filtering, and you can reduce anisotropic filtering in the renderer setup.
I don't think reducing texture detail will help much.

Just to make it clear, there are four OpenGL HRP combinations:
1) Polymost renderer + Polymost HRP : fast, no fancy effects, quick load times
2) Polymer renderer + Polymer HRP : slow, resource hog, fancy
3) Polymost renderer + Polymer HRP : as fast as 1) except for first time texture loading, but makes no sense to use
4) Polymer renderer + Polymost HRP : possible compromise in some corner cases, allows for TROR at least

Console commands are listed here.
You can try tuning Polymer performance using the commands from r_pr_lighting to r_pr_maxlightpriority.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 05 May 2014 - 06:36 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

As of HRP r362 (crosshair glowmaps) the crosshair colour shows up as white instead of yellow when using the Polymost renderer. And it can't be changed via eduke32.cfg (CrosshairColor = "255,174,0") either.
I could fix that by disabling those glowmaps in Polymost HRP, but I'd rather prefer a fix in EDuke32.

• The Truth is in here

I am currently testing HRP 5.4 and realized that latest EDuke32 build 5180 crashes if you enable highres textures (in Polymer), either ingame or via config file. You get until the menu, but when you load a level, it crashes to desktop or freezes. Using 64-bit exe by default, but also 32-bit doesn't work.

My setup:
Windows 8.1 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4770K @ 3.5 GHz
16 GB RAM
nvidia GeForce 770 (Forceware 350.12 installed)

Note: Any EDuke32 build up to and including 5177 doesn't show this behavior.

BTW: I am also somehow missing the automap. I only see a running Duke when activating the map, but no lines at all.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 06 May 2015 - 01:45 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I made a typo, sorry about that. The crash when loading a hightile texture with height > width should be fixed in r5181.

• The Truth is in here

Good, that seems to have fixed the crash issues.

Now it's still about automap not being drawn in Polymer mode (also without HRP, btw). First build where this error occurs: r5001 and following (that means it's apparently there since February). Map keeps working in Polymost, only broken in Polymer.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 06 May 2015 - 07:45 AM

Question, how do you use the music pack that comes with HRP without using HRP? I have a several copies of the eduke32 folder for various mods etc, and I often don't use the HRP. I'd always like to use the music though.

For some reason the duke3d_music-sc55.zip in the autoload folder doesn't work without HRP, and the readme also says that. I'm guessing there's probably a way to use music packs without also having the HRP textures pack?

I know putting say dethtoll.mid in the main eduke32 folder would replace that song, is there a more elagant way replace all the songs than by putting a ton of .ogg files in the main directory? And I'm guessing the music.def file in the zip is key too. Thanks.

(edit: Nevermind, just got the version from sc55.duke4.net where it's just the .ogg files without folders or a .def file. This one works well, plus it lead me to notice Doom ones I didn't know about, cool.)

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 19 August 2015 - 11:59 PM

• The Truth is in here

There is a file in the downloads section of the HRP website which allows you to do this. However, you would need to click the "Show Info" button for the HRP music packs. Apparently, you haven't found it.

I will save you the effort and put the download link here: HRP override file for music pack only (0.2 MB)
No magic using this, put it into autoload dir with your music pack and that's it. It just contains the line needed to load the music pack def file.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 20 August 2015 - 08:03 AM

NightFright, on 20 August 2015 - 08:02 AM, said:

Apparently, you haven't found it.

Apparently you haven't found your coffee yet. :D

(edit:)

By the way, just happened across your Final Doom music since I was looking for some for TNT, really cool! Thanks for all the cool stuff you do.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 20 August 2015 - 04:41 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

You should be able to replace the old mighty boot model with the new HRP Duke model. Just position it so that the leg is visible in the HUD.

User is offline   Mark 

At first I thought you were posting about the Duke model to PsychoGoatee but then I found the original post higher up the page.

Models are to PsychoGoatee what crosses are to Dracula. :D

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

P.A.D. claims another senseless victim. :D

User is offline   Paul B 

Please see screenshots showing problems with HRP version 5.4.674 and the latest Eduke 20150911-5344. Definitely some traces of red pixels all over the place around sprite objects and masked walls under water it looks pretty nasty.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Underwater1.jpg
  • Attached Image: Underwater 2.jpg

This post has been edited by Paul B: 12 September 2015 - 04:12 PM

User is offline   Mark 

I just finished playing Hollywood Holocaust with the HRP and Polymer. Holy Crap, the scale for most prop models is way off. Way too big. They look way too big ++ in 3rd person mode. Its hard to believe no one has complained to get the scale / placement fixed.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Mark., on 16 January 2016 - 05:07 AM, said:

I just finished playing Hollywood Holocaust with the HRP and Polymer. Holy Crap, the scale for most prop models is way off. Way too big. They look way too big ++ in 3rd person mode. Its hard to believe no one has complained to get the scale / placement fixed.
The pixelated ART's size isn't always optimal, and a higher detailed model may have different requirements. Considering the age of most prop models, my guess is that their size has been discussed back then. Or the maintainers simply didn't want to piss off contributors by tampering with their stuff ...

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

My chaingun is disappearing. HRP 5.3.565, EDuke32 2.0.0devel r5692 (32-bit) C++ build. When firing, where there should be a chaingun, there's only the little orange gun flares.
Attached Image: Screenshot 2016-05-07 14.22.59.png
Processor
AMD FX™-8350 Eight-Core Processor

Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960

RAM
8.0 GB

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 (build 10586), 64-bit

Edit: Really? No solution for this? This seems like a really easily solvable bug.

This post has been edited by Inspector Lagomorf: 09 May 2016 - 09:38 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Inspector Lagomorf, on 07 May 2016 - 10:25 AM, said:

My chaingun is disappearing. HRP 5.3.565, EDuke32 2.0.0devel r5692 (32-bit) C++ build. When firing, where there should be a chaingun, there's only the little orange gun flares.

Edit: Really? No solution for this? This seems like a really easily solvable bug.
Quite disappointing that even a long-time member can't come up with a better bug report. Use the latest HRP [5.4.674], the latest EDuke32 build [r5718], and post your log file. The solution however, is to use a reasonably stable version of EDuke32, like the one that comes with the HRP sfx package [r5267].
Bug report handling for EDuke32 has basically left these forums. You can try to file your issue over there. Good luck.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 10 May 2016 - 05:07 PM

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options