• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HRP Issues Thread  "Post your HRP Problems/Issues here"

User is offline   ershnuff 

View PostMicky C, on 14 September 2012 - 10:45 PM, said:

If you can figure out how to get the HRP 4 to work, I can't understand why the HRP 5 wouldn't work.

The log file is actually very easy to find. It's called "eduke32.log" and it's created every time you start the game. It's located in the same folder as your eduke32.exe, and should be right below (or at least close to) your eduke32.exe if your files are alphabetically listed.

Duke 4.0 was a simple installer and worked immediately with improved graphics and all. Duke 5 was only an unzipper and didn't work immediately no matter what I did. But anywhere, is this it?

Windows 7 (build 6.1.7601) Service Pack 1
Initialized nedmalloc
Initializing DirectDraw...
Searching for game data...
Checksumming duke3d.grp... Done
Using 'duke3d.grp' as main game data file.
Compiling: GAME.CON (151190 bytes)
Including: DEFS.CON (35992 bytes)
Including: USER.CON (45482 bytes)
GAME.CON: In actor `ORGANTIC':
GAME.CON:3967: warning: found `else' with no `if'.
GAME.CON: In state `pigshootenemystate':
GAME.CON:5890: warning: found `else' with no `if'.
Found 2 warning(s), 0 error(s).
Resizing code buffer to 16187*4 bytes
Relocating compiled code from to 0xffb40010 to 0x9bf68f8
Script compiled in 21ms, 16179*4b, version 1.4+
1918/11264 labels, 321/2048 variables
125 quotes, 207 actors
Initialized 24.0M cache
RTS file DUKE.RTS was not found
Initializing OSD...
Initializing DirectInput...
- Enumerating attached game controllers
- No game controllers found
Uninitializing DirectInput...
Executing "settings.cfg"
Disabling desktop composition...
Setting video mode 1600x900 (32-bit windowed)
OpenGL Information:
Version: 4.2.0
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer: GeForce GT 555M/PCIe/SSE2
Opened 'textures' as cache file
Initializing Polymer subsystem...
PR : Initialization complete in 141 ms.
Initializing music...
Initializing sound... 32 voices, 2 channels, 16-bit 44100KHz

Wrote eduke32.cfg
Wrote settings.cfg
Uninitializing DirectDraw...

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I'll tell you how to set it up just in case you have it wrong. Open up the folder where your eduke32.exe and duke3d.grp files are, then create a new folder called "autoload". In that folder, create a new folder called "duke3d.grp", then put the zip file you have in there (you don't need to extract it, just dump it there).

Then start up eduke32, and you should get a startup window with some options. Make sure the "enable "autoload" folder" and "polymer" checkboxes are ticked, then start the game. It should be working then.

User is offline   Selvator 

Just popping in this thread to tell you that myself and another user in this thread: http://forums.duke4....n-polymer-mode/ are having issues with Polymer + HRP, I have posted all the crash logs and information in that thread about the issue.
Some help would be appreciated ;)

View PostMicky C, on 15 September 2012 - 01:54 AM, said:

I'll tell you how to set it up just in case you have it wrong. Open up the folder where your eduke32.exe and duke3d.grp files are, then create a new folder called "autoload". In that folder, create a new folder called "duke3d.grp", then put the zip file you have in there (you don't need to extract it, just dump it there).

Then start up eduke32, and you should get a startup window with some options. Make sure the "enable "autoload" folder" and "polymer" checkboxes are ticked, then start the game. It should be working then.

Nope... I've had it like that from the start and it still doesn't work.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: screen.png

Another thing that confuses me is, the only thing that seems to work is the lighting from shooting weapons, from fires, atomic health, etc. But none of the models, high def textures, or really any of the other content for that matter works.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: screen2.png

User is offline   Mark 

In the video setup portion of the main menu make sure you have "renderer" set to 32 bit and under renderer setup make sure "use models" is set to "on".

I have always put the 2 zip files you have in the autoload folder. I have never had to create a duke3dgrp folder inside autoload like Micky said.

This post has been edited by Marked: 15 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

View PostMarked, on 15 September 2012 - 03:47 PM, said:

In the video setup portion of the main menu make sure you have "renderer" set to 32 bit and under renderer setup make sure "use models" is set to "on".

I have always put the 2 zip files you have in the autoload folder. I have never had to create a duke3dgrp folder inside autoload like Micky said.

Thanks for the suggestion, but... as I said in my initial post, I have always made sure that stuff is on. It even says it's on, 32 bit, and all the high def textures... just nothing changes. Let me again say that I was able to make these work in the 4.0 release... so why is this one being so difficult??

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: screen3.png

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Does the log file mention anything about loading duke3d.def? If not, it is not finding your HRP zip. If it does, try deleting the one in the same directory as EDuke32.

View PostHendricks266, on 15 September 2012 - 09:39 PM, said:

Does the log file mention anything about loading duke3d.def? If not, it is not finding your HRP zip. If it does, try deleting the one in the same directory as EDuke32.

It doesn't say anything about that. Where can I find this file? And what would I do with it?

• Weaponized Autism

You do not have the HRP properly installed if it does not find that file. Do you have some zip file containing "duke3d" and "hrp" in your autoload folder? If not, that's where it should be. If you do, open it. What is inside? If there is another zip file, extract that file out of the first zip into the autoload folder. If there is anything else, redownload the HRP v5 from http://hrp.duke4.net and follow the directions.

Also, is autoload enabled in the startup window?

A note to all: I recommend against ever putting anything in a subfolder of autoload using a name of a GRP file. If you use a differently named GRP from the startup window, even of the same game, it will not load.

View PostHendricks266, on 15 September 2012 - 09:52 PM, said:

You do not have the HRP properly installed if it does not find that file. Do you have some zip file containing "duke3d" and "hrp" in your autoload folder? If not, that's where it should be. If you do, open it. What is inside? If there is another zip file, extract that file out of the first zip into the autoload folder. If there is anything else, redownload the HRP v5 from http://hrp.duke4.net and follow the directions.

Also, is autoload enabled in the startup window?

A note to all: I recommend against ever putting anything in a subfolder of autoload using a name of a GRP file. If you use a differently named GRP from the startup window, even of the same game, it will not load.

Okay, I will show you everything that comes with the fresh unzip, files and subfolders. I figured since the instructions said all I had to do was unzip and run it, it would be that simple. Apparently it is not so, but I digress. The first is the Duke3D folder and its contents, and the second is my autoload folder and its contents. What should I do with these? *EDIT* And no, Autoload is NOT available to be ticked in the startup window... never seen it before.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: screen4.png
  • Attached Image: screen5.png

This post has been edited by ershnuff: 16 September 2012 - 01:04 AM

• Weaponized Autism

Show me the contents of polymer_hrp.zip and your EDuke32 startup window.

View PostHendricks266, on 16 September 2012 - 01:22 AM, said:

Show me the contents of polymer_hrp.zip and your EDuke32 startup window.

K.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: startupwindow.png
  • Attached Image: polymercont.png

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Citing myself [edited]:

View PostLeoD, on 12 February 2012 - 05:14 AM, said:

Easiest way out: Do a clean install
- Create a new Duke Nukem game directory, for example C:\Duke3D.
- Copy DUKE3D.GRP and (optionally) DUKE.RTS to the game dir.
- Unzip the current or latest EDuke32 to the game dir.
- Create the autoload directory within the game dir.
- Put your duke3d_hrp.zip into that autoload dir.
- Start eduke32.exe without command line parameters.

If that doesn't help, provide additional information:
- your eduke32.cfg, settings.cfg, and latest eduke32.log (as attachments)
- Which HRP version do you use? (hrp_readme.txt in duke3d_hrp.zip)

Your screenshot from post #245 shows that the Polymer renderer (part of eduke32.exe) is working but the Polymer-optimized Polymer HRP is not.

Concerning your startup window: Most likely your Windows screen font is too big. Therefore you can't see the autoload checkbox. You might want to reduce the font size. As far as Eduke32 is concerned you can open eduke32.cfg in your preferred text editor and change the line
NoAutoLoad = 1
to
NoAutoLoad = 0

This post has been edited by LeoD: 10 February 2013 - 07:14 AM

View PostLeoD, on 16 September 2012 - 10:40 AM, said:

Citing myself:
Your screenshot from post #245 shows that the Polymer renderer (part of eduke32.exe) is working but the Polymer-optimized Polymer HRP is not.

Concerning your startup window: Most likely your Windows screen font is too big. Therefore you can't see the autoload checkbox. You might want to reduce the font size. As far as Eduke32 is concerned you can open eduke32.cfg in your preferred text editor and change the line
NoAutoLoad = 1
to
NoAutoLoad = 0

Holy crap Leo, that *one* line change fixed all of my problems and now it's running. Funny, I thought my startup window looked a bit funny, with those words cut off at the bottom. Maybe that should be made scrollable in the next patch.

Anyway, a big THANK YOU to all of you guys who helped. Feels good to be able to run the latest HRP.

I have a problem. The HRP works fine with the included shareware duke3d.grp in the install package, but when I copy over a atomic edition duke3d.grp the HRP enhancements are gone. I've tried both the GOG edition and my CD of Duke Atomic Edition. Any insight?

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostcapitalCORN, on 10 February 2013 - 05:51 AM, said:

I have a problem. The HRP works fine with the included shareware duke3d.grp in the install package, but when I copy over a atomic edition duke3d.grp the HRP enhancements are gone. I've tried both the GOG edition and my CD of Duke Atomic Edition.
Those are identical.

View PostcapitalCORN, on 10 February 2013 - 05:51 AM, said:

Any insight?
Scroll up to post #254.

View PostLeoD, on 10 February 2013 - 07:17 AM, said:

Those are identical.

Scroll up to post #254.

Tried that,but didn't work. Here is my log file.

Attached File  eduke32.log (2.08K)
Number of downloads: 718

For some reason keeps me from uploading the cfg files...

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostcapitalCORN, on 10 February 2013 - 07:41 AM, said:

Tried that,but didn't work.
A clean install would have worked.

View PostcapitalCORN, on 10 February 2013 - 07:41 AM, said:

Here is my log file. [...] For some reason keeps me from uploading the cfg files...
You could post them as ZIPs or put them between spoiler tags. However, not necessary.

eduke32.log : The usual mess ... and then some.

First : Do not choose autoload as custom game content directory in the startup window. Guess why it's named "autoload".

The voxel pack is not compatible to the HRP (unless you know how to fiddle with the DEF files), so do not use them together. This should be made clear on the HRP download page, indeed.

View PostLeoD, on 10 February 2013 - 08:17 AM, said:

A clean install would have worked.

You could post them as ZIPs or put them between spoiler tags. However, not necessary.

eduke32.log : The usual mess ... and then some.

First : Do not choose autoload as custom game content directory in the startup window. Guess why it's named "autoload".

The voxel pack is not compatible to the HRP (unless you know how to fiddle with the DEF files), so do not use them together. This should be made clear on the HRP download page, indeed.

DIsabling the autoload folder seems to work. Thank you. Is there a guide as to how to get the voxel modes to work with HRP?

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostcapitalCORN, on 10 February 2013 - 09:21 AM, said:

Is there a guide as to how to get the voxel modes to work with HRP?
No. Voxels are low resolution models, aimed to replace the 2-dimensional sprites (mostly the pickups) which always face the player. You usually don't want that if you use the High Resolution Pack and its high resolution textures/enemy models. The modern Polymer renderer doesn't support voxels at all.

User is offline   0815Jack 

I have a strange problem with the hrp starting about last week. eduke32 stopped loading the hrp content during the "loading duke3d_hrp.def" and crashes shortly afterwards. I tried a clean install with the latest SVN version and latest eduke32,, but doesnt fix it.

Using the official 5.2 release causes no problems ....Something must have changed in the svn after the addition of the new duke / cycloid model, cause with them it was still working..... any idea?

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

***Please Read This Before Posting Bugs.***

View PostLeoD, on 08 March 2013 - 04:01 PM, said:

ok...... eduke32.debug.exe runs without problems and produces no crash-log.......but loading the def file took about 20s .............. with eduke32.exe the startup stops during def loading and cpu-load goes to 100%

1) see attachment
3) Windows XP Service Pack 3 / Core2Duo 8400 / GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB / 4GB RAM
4) r3555
5) nothing
6) nothing modified

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  log.txt (2.94K)
    Number of downloads: 382

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View Post0815Jack, on 08 March 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

ok...... eduke32.debug.exe runs without problems and produces no crash-log.......but loading the def file took about 20s
It's my impression that the huge new MD3s increase the loading time considerably.
There's nothing obvious in the log and reproducing your setup doesn't reproduce your issue, so I'll guess a bit:
- have the taskmanager/Process Explorer open and check the memory usage while loading the DEFs
- try running without nedmalloc.dll
- start eduke32.exe with this command line: eduke32.exe -noautoload -jhrp and set the custom game content directory to none.
- move the hrp/.svn folder away temporarily and check if that helps

View PostLeoD, on 08 March 2013 - 06:54 PM, said:

It's my impression that the huge new MD3s increase the loading time considerably.
There's nothing obvious in the log and reproducing your setup doesn't reproduce your issue, so I'll guess a bit:
- have the taskmanager/Process Explorer open and check the memory usage while loading the DEFs
- try running without nedmalloc.dll
- start eduke32.exe with this command line: eduke32.exe -noautoload -jhrp and set the custom game content directory to none.
- move the hrp/.svn folder away temporarily and check if that helps

- CPU load goes to 100% , memory consumption about 1GB

but renaming "nedmalloc.dll" seems to fix it. :angry:

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View Post0815Jack, on 09 March 2013 - 02:48 AM, said:

renaming "nedmalloc.dll" seems to fix it. :D
Glad it works for you, but it leaves me with an uneasy feeling that this might just cover some issue either on your side or within EDuke32. :angry:

On a boring day you could try to find an old version that still works with nedmalloc enabled and then look for the exact offending change by bisecting.

View PostLeoD, on 09 March 2013 - 11:35 AM, said:

Glad it works for you, but it leaves me with an uneasy feeling that this might just cover some issue either on your side or within EDuke32. :angry:

On a boring day you could try to find an old version that still works with nedmalloc enabled and then look for the exact offending change by bisecting.

I will check this out, but I think it isnt't directly related to eduke32. I tried eduke32_win32_20130101-3362 and the issue with the current hrp is also present at this build.

maybe the current svn hrp hits some internal limits of eduke32 or nedmalloc. I also tried commenting out some def files like sprites.def etc. and it also fixed the issue

User is offline   lusan 

Greating I have been tryin to play Duke Nukem with the HRP but the game is always crashing when I run it Need help please
Thanks in advance by the way this video shows the crash and the debugger:
edit: when you see the black screen giving a warning in the video I was actuallly running the menu but odly enaught it didnt appear lol but what happened is that I started a new game and it crashed

This post has been edited by lusan: 29 April 2013 - 11:13 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View Postlusan, on 29 April 2013 - 11:06 AM, said:

Greating I have been tryin to play Duke Nukem with the HRP but the game is always crashing when I run it Need help please
Thanks in advance by the way this video shows the crash and the debugger:
edit: when you see the black screen giving a warning in the video I was actuallly running the menu but odly enaught it didnt appear lol but what happened is that I started a new game and it crashed
Instead of making that video and saying "F@CK YOU!" to the HRP guys you'd have been better off by reading the instructions at the HRP download page or at least the thread two lines below this one.

@moderators: Please rename that thread to
"***Please Read This Before Posting Problems or Bugs.***"

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options